OL Depth following the trade for Dotson ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'm sure Greg Gaines was but all he got was a one year / $3.5M (just double checked).
Also, the way his deal was structured, with voidable years, the 2023 cap hit is only $1.6M.

Matt Gay did sign a big deal, as he should have for being a top-PK, but his 2023 cap hit is still just $3.1M.

I understood most of the Rams' off-season moves designed to save and create salary cap space for 2024. However, there were two decisions that really disappointed me ... Gaines and Gay.

Gaines would be the Rams' 2nd best DL, and their D-Line looks weak to me.
A top-tier place-kicker is hard to find, and is impactful on a winning team.

I felt like the Rams should have re-signed both. Maybe both players wanted to leave.
Hear! Hear! I've been saying this for months now. I just get the feeling that McSnead went overboard on this cap reduction stuff and threw some babies out with the bathwater.

Considering what Gaines and Gay signed for we should have never let 'em go...

~ArkyRamsFan~

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramsey wanted to move? When did he say that?

Wagner wasn’t a top 5 LB and second team all pro?

I’m not a fan of Morris, but let’s not make stuff up.
Don't make stuff up? That's all he can post is made up junk.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
attack the post, not the poster.
be nice
train
I did, I said it's made up crap just like every time he's posted the same thing. He's been asked where he got the crap and never provides anything yet he still regurgitates the same made up shit.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams just waived OG Grant Miller.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Gaines left for the same reason Wagner left, and Ramsey wanted out. They were tired of how Morris used them and expected them to play scared. Morris took away Gaine's natural aggression, the same as he did with Wagner and Ramsey. He took a pure one gap 1T NT and expected him to play as a two gap 0T NT. Wagner was expected to play both WIL and SAM while his buddy Jones sat in the middle. Wagner was insulted as he's a pure MIKE LB as well. Ramsey was forced to play 8 yds off the LOS when he's a pure bump and run coverage CB.

Get the picture? Morris doesn't play to his players strengths. He's even got Donald questioning himself, that he's got to be better??!! Give me a fucking break. Defend Morris all you want but you have to ignore the damage Raheem has done to this roster. Don't forget he specifically wanted Bobby Brown, but Brown is a 1T NT not a 0T two gapper but that's how Raheem plays him.
I love your fan fiction... can you do some Star Trek next?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Not sure why this board is so obsessed with moving Avila.

He was drafted to play LG.

Noteboom getting moved to Guard is getting tested at RG even though he’s comfortable on the left. Why? Because Avila is the LG. Moving young players so much hurts their development IMO. Notice our best OL (Hav) has never been asked to play anything but RT?

Draft a center or RG. Leave Avila where he’s at. Let him become a pro bowl/all pro LG

Actually, remember McVay's first camp, they tried Hav at RG and Brown? at RT for like one week of joint practices and it was a disaster and reversed them immediately.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Agree. The Rams are also taking-on a $2.7M cap hit; and, that is telling to me.

All seven veterans, previously added this off-season, were signed for the veteran minimum or very close to it.

The Rams passed on re-signing Gaines and Gay who both carry 2023 cap hits of around $3M.
That’s nothing compared to Noteboom who’s playing a backup position.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That’s nothing compared to Noteboom who’s playing a backup position.
Not if the Rams have anything to say about it. Yet another article today from Jourdan about the Rams being determined to give him snaps at RG with the eye towards him starting now that his shoulder is healed.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Not if the Rams have anything to say about it. Yet another article today from Jourdan about the Rams being determined to give him snaps at RG with the eye towards him starting now that his shoulder is healed.
Either way where do you start Dotson if that is the case?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Actually, remember McVay's first camp, they tried Hav at RG and Brown? at RT for like one week of joint practices and it was a disaster and reversed them immediately.

Oh yeah!

Further proof. Just let the players get comfortable. The line is the most important job on the field. I don’t get the hindering of development. You don’t see coaches drafting wide receivers and making them learn the running back position first

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You might not like this... but the Rams picked him up just for depth per Jourdan.
I know that's what is being reported and I believe the accuracy of those reports.
But "depth" in this case, to me... is a player ready to step in and start because plan A & B aren't working out.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I know that's what is being reported and I believe the accuracy of those reports.
But "depth" in this case, to me... is a player ready to step in and start because plan A & B aren't working out.
I still believe that Anchrum will start due to the fact that he’s the only one who has actually practiced at RG for the Rams this whole preseason.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was referring to Allen2McVay’s statement that Dotson was brought in to be a starter due to his cap hit.

Ah, kinda more rhetorical than anything else.

Yeah, I can't quite square the circle on that one except this is my guess, Rams saw enough on tape that they weren't happy with the pass protection and possible gap scheme work from our backup guards and McVay can weather a bad defense this season but probably will fall apart if the offense can't operate (like last year with all our Oline injuries) so they paid a slight premium to ensure that doesn't happen.