OL Depth following the trade for Dotson ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
It's not the schemes that will affect Dotson. Muscle memory is a bigger factor. I think ultimately he's destined for RG but they may opt to play him for a year at LG where he has started 30 games. They can shift Avila over to the RG side, because he's the guy they want to run behind.

Dotson will simply have to digest the playbook. OL is all about technique and it's the same no matter what team you are on. Gap blocking, zone blocking, power blocking it's about technique, timing and the ability to move. He will have two weeks to get it down. Dotson is a vet not a rookie. Corbett started at LG then moved to RG the following year. If he plays well he might stay at LG because Avila's forte is run blocking. That is what you expect from your RG.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Since they're trying to bolster their depth at G, I wonder if this means Shelton won the competition at C. Shelton provides depth at both C and G, where as Allen is strictly a C.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Since they're trying to bolster their depth at G, I wonder if this means Shelton won the competition at C. Shelton provides depth at both C and G, where as Allen is strictly a C.

Agree. Where Shelton fits into this affects the whole lineup.

Regardless of who wins the battle at Center, I think MacAllister is headed to the PS unless Allen is dispatched one way or the other.

There are still so many possibilities and combinations possible.
Anchrum, for example:
1) starts at RG if Noteboom isn’t healthy, Shelton starts at Center, and Dotson isn’t ready.
2) backs up Dotson if he IS ready and Noteboom isn’t/Shelton starts at Center.
3) goes back to the PS if either Noteboom or Shelton starts at RG/Allen starts at Center.
4) gets cut.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Jourdan seems to have:

Jackson
Avilla
Shelton
Notebook
Havenstein

as the preferred starting line.

McVay is frustrated with Noteboom's injury because it was important to see this lineup together. However, it does seem to be (as far as she can tell...a real injury).

I'm not sure how easy it would be to trade an often injured player with a 40 million dollar contract.

My guess is that they are desperate for him to contribute but I wonder if that seems unlikely with the Dotson trade. At the very least they want some insurance there and need to settle on a line.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams have money next year so it makes it less difficult for me.

Ok Mr. Less(Snead) difficult,spill the beans.What’s The Rams future next season?

Can even count the number of Offensive Linemen The Rams are keeping in 2023?

Still waiting for The Rams final cuts & what the 53 look like NOW!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is he injured now ?
Allen? He’s got a chronic knee injury. They may get a few games out of him but then his knee swells up and he can’t play..

If releasing him let’s them keep one of the younger linemen that showed some promise, then I’d do it. Otherwise they go on the practice squad and can be poached. Like McCallister for example. If he goes on the PS Tampa may grab him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jourdan seems to have:

Jackson
Avilla
Shelton
Notebook
Havenstein

as the preferred starting line.

McVay is frustrated with Noteboom's injury because it was important to see this lineup together. However, it does seem to be (as far as she can tell...a real injury).

I'm not sure how easy it would be to trade an often injured player with a 40 million dollar contract.

My guess is that they are desperate for him to contribute but I wonder if that seems unlikely with the Dotson trade. At the very least they want some insurance there and need to settle on a line.
Jourdon is a joke,but what see is saying about Noteboom is what the issue should be as of now..
JB interviewed Anchrum before the trade. His is confident he is starting right now.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
This has me thinking.
LT Jackson
LG Noteboom
C Avila
RG Dotson
RT Havenstein

Big mauling front.

Tano

Legend
This has me thinking.
LT Jackson
LG Noteboom
C Avila
RG Dotson
RT Havenstein

Big mauling front.
Avila won't be playing center until next year at the earliest.

He hasn't played center since his junior season and needs time to learn the Ram system before playing center.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

He hasn't played center since his junior season and needs time to learn the Ram system before playing center.
Are we obsessed with centers :) ? Last I looked, Guards are more important and get paid much more.

Snead has said they wanted to emulate what the Saints had. Two big bodied guards who dominate the line and provide a wall for Stafford. Dotson fits what Snead said so there is no reason to second guess him. If Avila performs to the level we expect then the OL could be dominant. Dotson is another big addition. It also means that Boom will not be playing guard, thank goodness

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Why would they play Avila at C??? I am thinkin AJ, Avila, Allen, Anchrum, Hav to start...

I think we know where all of the backups slot, but if Boom gets traded.... Who would be the swing OT/G?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That's just like, you know, your opinion man.

1693228834508.png

WestCoastRam

Legend

Playing Avila at center is a waste of talent. But hey, go ahead.

Or better yet, which would you rather have, a dominate guard or center?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dotson has said in interviews he prefers RG. He goes on to say he just feels natural at RG. He's a mauler!

This will be our opening day line up.

LT: Jackson
LG: Avila
OC: Shelton
RG: Dotson
RT: Havenstein

Swing OT: Noteboom & McClendon Swing OG: Thomas Swing OC: McAllister

I believe they will keep McClendon on their 53 man roster. He looks like a starter in the future, replacing Hav. so they will do some sort of 53 guys juggling between Tues & Thursday in order to keep him.
Anchrum goes from starting RG to off the team? Interesting

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No one has taken Anchrum's RG spot. I find it hard to believe after OTA's, Training camp and then 3 preseason games where Anchrum has taken the majority of snaps at RG, and doing a good job by the way, they bench him in favor of someone nobody knows (Dotson), or someone who has taken no snaps there at all (Noteboom). Rams coaches aren't that stupid. Anchrum will be starting at RG k opening game.

I have 50,000$ ROD bucks to wager anyone who thinks otherwise.

Last edited: