Ogletree traded to Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Debacled

Starter
I'm trying to figure that out myself. Check out this link :

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/rr

Scroll down to the bottom. The following line is what I use every time I create a mock, like yesterday :

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $40,237,766

The above figure includes projected costs for the draft pool. The $40.mil was closer to $48mil at 10:30 PM last night when I presented my latest mock. The only other changes made are with the dead money and the rising cost being attributed to the extra draft picks we picked up. According to the above link, we now gained $6.4mil in dead money from Ogletree. Unless CAP money is yet to be added by spotrac, I can't explain the disparity.rr

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/alec-ogletree-12310/

When a player is traded whatever cap hit from a signing bonus is left is accelerated to the year he is traded. There is 6.4m left of a cap hit from his signing bonus that all will be applied this season(1.6 this year and for the next 3).

His cap hit would have been his base salary (3m) + pro rated signing bonus (1.6m) + roster bonus (7M) had he remained on the roster. Cap hit from signing bonus is not transferred to his new team, so he will count 10m against the cap for the Giants instead of the 11.6m he would have for the Rams.

He will still count for 6.4m against the cap this year (total saving of 5.2m as listed above). Cap space is just over 47m before accounting for signing draft picks which if you do add that it will be around 40m.

The Ramowl

Starter
I'm a bit worried about the other players reactions but I am not too surprised we are moving him. He isn't consistent in his tackling and that was a critical issue in the Falcons game.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Damn.
Snead be like....
20180308_041828.jpg

What's going to happen when FA actually starts?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Snead acting like Mad Martz: Attack, attack, attack.

Big risks. Cutting edge stuff, not conventional wisdom.

Huge faith in McSnead, can’t wait to see how it turns out. My guess is its gonna be great. Can’t wait to see who is the #2 CB. Hope they invest money there.

They have a track record of looking at the big picture and staying a step or two ahead of the competition.

I predict “splash”signings in free agency at NT, MLB, and TE. (I don’t think McVay has enough faith in Everett-Higbee).

All this activity makes me want to watch “Moneyball” again. Smart, cutting edge roster building, and guys with the cojones to stick to their beliefs and go all out.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
this was a bit of a shocker to read over my cornflakes this morning ...its never dul being a rams fan huh boys

as much as a shocker it was Tree never impressed me in the middle... and honestly if he had JL's mind for the game with his athletic ability he would have been a Hofer im kinda glad the move was made im not gonna miss those one arm flying whiffs that were becoming trees trademark

Mcvay and co overhauled the offense in one off season,,there's no reason or evidence thats says they cant do the same for the Defense ..i can honeslty see some more moves coming .. and it woudnt surpirse me if they somehow manage to steal i mean trade for another 1st rounder ... maybe for this LVE kid

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Avery Williamson should be priority #1.

Not familiar with Williamson other than I've heard good things about him.

I really think that Todd Davis is gonna be in the mix.

Honestly, I think we're gonna be seeing one of those top ILBs be signed immediately once FA starts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Don't forget the 6th rounder.

I'm sure Snead hasn't.

I don't think Snead will stop until he has every 6th round pick in the draft, maybe at the expense of trading every 5th round pick for the next 26 years at this point because the Rams now have 4 6th round picks this year.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I'm actually okay with the Ogletree move. I think it really sends a message to the team that nobody is safe. If you're not producing, you'll see the door. I can't tell you how many times I complained about Ogletree last year. He had a tough time shedding blocks on the inside and, several times, I'd seen him get blown backwards or was simply out of position. I realize that he was a leader on the team but I agree with the coaches that his play was just too poor to warrant keeping him around at his price.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So taking some time to think about the move, I like it. Ogletree was very overrated during his time here. He was a fast, athletic LB who was a good blitzer. But he was a terrible tackler. I never understood why no coach could teach him how to properly tackle. And yeah, that whiff on Coleman in the playoffs still bugs me.

Todd59

Rookie
This is not the moved I expected to see. I would've thought that they'd trade/cut Barron and move Ogletree to his spot. But I'm not overly concerned with the move. Ogletree may have had a lot of tackles, but he sure missed a lot. And the tackles he did get weren't exactly plugging the line for run stops. James Laurinaitis took a lot of crap for making tackles 5 yards downfield, and with Ogletree it was more of the same. The Rams need a plugger in the middle, not a runner who tackles too high and can't shed blocks.

Psycho_X

Legend
Mcvay and co overhauled the offense in one off season,,there's no reason or evidence thats says they cant do the same for the Defense ..i can honeslty see some more moves coming .. and it woudnt surpirse me if they somehow manage to steal i mean trade for another 1st rounder ... maybe for this LVE kid

Definitely seems to be their offseason goal. They already had talented, albeit mismatched in the 3-4, defensive players so they stalled on working on it for a season while righting the offensive ship some. Now it seems they've turned 95% of their attention to the defense retool for this offseason. FA is going to be exciting.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.dailynews.com/2018/03/0...s-want-better-fits-for-wade-phillips-defense/

Bonsignore: Alec Ogeltree trade another sign Rams want better fits for Wade Phillips’ defense
By VINCENT BONSIGNORE

0910_spo_ldn-l-rams-colts-kb6_24482898.jpg

Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG

The essence of faith is believing in something that isn’t yet seen.

And so the Rams, and their fans for that matter, are taking a mighty leap together.

In believing they’ll be better off, like immediately, without the middle linebacker that called their defense and led them in tackles the last two years while developing into a trusted and respected team leader on and off the field.

Or finding someone to replace the 8.5 sacks they traded away last week and the five sacks and leadership that might leave in free agent this offseason.

And maybe (well, probably) come up with an alternative to the proud, rugged cornerback they seem destined to part ways with via free agency.

The Rams defense, as of Wednesday, will likely begin next season with four new starters replacing four valuable, productive and respected teammates. And by the time next week’s free agency period begins, that number could rise to six.

On a team that finished 11-5 and a defense that surrendered the 12th-fewest points in the NFL.

Leap of faith indeed.

With much of it entrusted in 71-year-old defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who did an admirable job last year squeezing a bunch of square pegs into round holes while transitioning the Rams from the 4-3 defense they had been playing to his preferred 3-4. And coming up with acceptable results.

The Rams fell just outside the top ten in points allowed and were 13th overall against the pass with Alec Ogletree at middle linebacker and Robert Quinn coming off the edge and Trumaine Johnson as their top cornerback. Solid numbers, to be sure.

But they were also 28th overall defending the run, allowing an average of more than 122 yards per game, an unacceptable finish that speaks to some ill fits for the 3-4 scheme along the defensive line and at linebacker.

Which is why Ogletree, a valued tackler and leader, was dealt on Wednesday to the New York Giants for a pair of 2018 draft picks, and Quinn was traded last week to the Miami Dolphins for a 2018 fourth-round pick.

It might also be the reason linebacker Mark Barron gets released next week. And why veteran Connor Barwin might walk as a free agent.

All of them were valuable contributors to the Rams defense last year. And each will be appreciated in their new homes next season, for their production and their leadership.

But the Rams, and specifically Phillips, think they can do better from a skill-set, body type and schematic perspective. And by already parting ways with Ogletree and Quinn — and by adding Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Peters on a much more manageable contract that Johnson — the Rams have the financial flexibility to import players that are better fits to Phillips’ 3-4 scheme. That wherewithal will increase if they release Barron and wide receiver Tavon Austin next week.

The goal is pretty obvious. The Rams need more girth and physical stoutness in the interior of their defensive line, someone who can tie up blockers to allow physical, imposing inside linebackers behind them to make plays in the run game and rush the quarterback on passes.

And they need more firepower of the edge. Both as a pass rusher and run stopper.

Keep in mind Ogletree is a former 4-3 outside linebacker who moved inside in 2016, and Barron is a former safety and outside linebacker who moved inside last season. Quinn, meanwhile, is a career 4-3 defensive end who moved to a 3-4 outside linebacker last year.

All three are good players. But maybe not great fits in this Rams defense.

The Rams are well armed going into the draft to add players who profile better in the 3-4, the trade of Ogletree increasing their pick total to 10.

And with nearly $50 million in cap space, they can absolutely go on the open market to achieve that same objective.

The question now becomes: Who are those players, and will they be available to the Rams? And how quickly can they get up to speed under Phillips?

Which brings us right back to the leap of faith they are taking and the one they are asking their fans to join them on. Free agency hasn’t even started, yet the Rams already have to replace a ton of production lost from a pretty good defense.

They’re obviously confident they can do just that, and do so in a hurry. They have no desire to stand pat after their surprising 11-5 finish last season, and sliding back is not an option.

The Rams’ window is wide open, and they want to keep it like that for a while.

But it’s a leap of faith nonetheless.

And it makes for a fascinating next few months.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well they have to be targeting someone in FA and well know who at 12:01 next wed. I'm thinking we'll all be happy with the new addition. Then either an in house promotion for Ebukam or the first round pick on someone like Edmunds or LVE. I think when the dust settles well like what we see.

Speaking of the 6-3 240 lb Samson Ebukam does anyone else recall that Wade started him in his only pre season game @ ISLB'er?

I also wondering if we are overlooking the now entering his 4th season as a Ram ILB'er 6-1 240 lb Bryce Hager here & his good performance did last yr calling the defense for the injured Ogletree?

I still think that Wade's ex ILB'er @ Denver Todd Davis will be a Ram soon.
If Bonsignore is to be believed then Corey Littleton will be taking over Ogletree's spot. If so then they don't need to sign any top inside linebackers nor draft them. And, if they sign Tru, and Robey-Coleman, they only pressing draft need would maybe be OLB. Consigned also said that they like Longacre and felt he outplayed Quinn. At least they will have all of their bases covered going into the draft. That way if Calvin Ridley falls to them they can pick him.
I would tell Bonsignore that I find it very hard for me to believe that the lanky/skinny over 6-3 220/225 lbs ex DE/OLB'er Cory Littleton is the answer to our run defense problems in the middle of our defense.

I saw Cory whiff & get pushed around like a rag doll while he was filling in for Mark Barron on run plays but he does have a nice sneaky pass rush. I like Cory a lot & I like him better on the weak-side OLB/ER position where his sneaky quick pass rush talent fits better IMO....but I sure do not see Cory taking over for Tree as the defensive signal caller there.

Now I truly believe that Matt Longacre is a good OLB/ER to help our run defense. Matt can set the edge & plays 100% tough against takes no plays off type. Matt show'd he has some sack abilities too last season. But if ER Harold Landry is there @ #23 he is the pick. If Landry is off the boards then Rashaan Evans, Roquan Smith or Leighton Vander Esch will get a serious look.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm a Rams fan here in New York.....you guys should hear the idiocy of sports radio guys giant fans etc. For one with all do respect to Ogeltree I liked him as a ram truly great leader beacon of emotion and seemed to be an overall good dude played well in the 4-3 but hearing these fans in NY and radio guys it's like they just got junior seau in his prime or Ray Lewis for starters I believe Alec will do well here but they haven't got a clue as to why the Rams dumped him wasn't only about money pure and simple he did not fit the scheme especially with his poor angles and tackling with that being said its all a matter of opinion on how good he is was or can be but what's burning me up the most is the ripping of the Rams organization saying what are they doing a playoff team tearing apart there defense all this for Aaron Donald same ole Rams. Not one person has mentioned Alec's play here nor the fact that Phillips wants his type of players and is going through a process in which the Rams will need to trust him instead what I hear is wade cannot be to happy ...wade Phillips must be very annoyed at the Rams for taking away his toys blah blah blah wish I could just find a station that was all Rams all the time lol tired of this nonsense...absolutely no clue!!!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
What surprises me is that the Giants new DC, James Bettcher is changing their defense to a 3-4 just like the Rams, who felt like Tree was a bad fit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Speaking of the 6-3 240 lb Samson Ebukam does anyone else recall that Wade started him in his only pre season game @ ISLB'er?

I also wondering if we are overlooking the now entering his 4th season as a Ram ILB'er 6-1 240 lb Bryce Hager here & his good performance did last yr calling the defense for the injured Ogletree?

I still think that Wade's ex ILB'er @ Denver Todd Davis will be a Ram soon.

I would tell Bonsignore that I find it very hard for me to believe that the lanky/skinny over 6-3 220/225 lbs ex DE/OLB'er Cory Littleton is the answer to our run defense problems in the middle of our defense.

I saw Cory whiff & get pushed around like a rag doll while he was filling in for Mark Barron on run plays but he does have a nice sneaky pass rush. I like Cory a lot & I like him better on the weak-side OLB/ER position where his sneaky quick pass rush talent fits better IMO....but I sure do not see Cory taking over for Tree as the defensive signal caller there.

Now I truly believe that Matt Longacre is a good OLB/ER to help our run defense. Matt can set the edge & plays 100% tough against takes no plays off type. Matt show'd he has some sack abilities too last season. But if ER Harold Landry is there @ #23 he is the pick. If Landry is off the boards then Rashaan Evans, Roquan Smith or Leighton Vander Esch will get a serious look.

That was my original reaction.

A poster on another board claims that Littleton was fantastic in the game against Tennessee. I didn't argue with him because I don't remember. I didn't focus on his play well enough to recall specifically.

Does anybody have input on that game?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What surprises me is that the Giants new DC, James Bettcher is changing their defense to a 3-4 just like the Rams, who felt like Tree was a bad fit.

Better wants a very fast linebacker Corp. He wanted the sideline to sideline, everyone rushing to the ball style of defense. I am sure their pro personnel guy discussed it with the coaches and they reviewed tape. They think they got what they wanted. Sometimes people, even NFL coaches only focus on what they want to see. They didn't give up much in the way of picks.

I don't understand this. It seems like fair compensation, or maybe if Ogletree went to play in a 4/3, that the Rams got a little less value than I would have expected. I would have liked the Giants first pick in round four, not the comp pick. I'd also have preferred a 5th instead of a 6th. I think a third is out of the question due to his contract.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Maybe I misunderstood, but it was discussed several times in this thread that we saved money trading him. We should have more money in available cap space not less.

@flv clarification please?

this must take into account joyner tag

Last edited: