Official Roster Cuts Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
fearsomefour said:
The most interesting names to me are Wayne Hunter and Barry Richardson. I think Richardson was cut in Tennessee. Hunter is unsigned as far as I know. They both played better than expected last year. Richardson actually had a very good year. Stricly as depth insurance for T either guy would be better than the names I see listed in the cut lists in my opinion.

The question I have, how many O-linemen do you think they can afford to carry on the 53 man roster. Once they lose the roster exemption for Pead after week one, I fully anticipate Washington to be added to the Practice Squad OR Shelley Smith Waived.

They likelihood of them carrying 10 linemen is slim.

The "top" nine seem to me to be fairly safe. Long, Saffold, Barksdale, Williams, Dahl, Washington/Smith, Wells, Barnes & Jones.

Adding an additional Tackle, would pretty much be over kill, UNLESS they feel that Barnes can do the job as the swing Guard. In that case, they let BOTH Washington and Smith go.

Its anyone's guess, with the flexibility they have with personnel in this group.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
fearsomefour said:
The most interesting names to me are Wayne Hunter and Barry Richardson. I think Richardson was cut in Tennessee. Hunter is unsigned as far as I know. They both played better than expected last year. Richardson actually had a very good year. Stricly as depth insurance for T either guy would be better than the names I see listed in the cut lists in my opinion.

The question I have, how many O-linemen do you think they can afford to carry on the 53 man roster. Once they lose the roster exemption for Pead after week one, I fully anticipate Washington to be added to the Practice Squad OR Shelley Smith Waived.

The "top" nine seem to me to be fairly safe. Long, Saffold, Barksdale, Williams, Dahl, Washington/Smith, Wells, Barnes & Jones.

Adding an additional Tackle, would pretty much be over kill, UNLESS they feel that Barnes can do the job as the swing Guard. In that case, they let BOTH Washington and Smith go.

Its anyone's guess, with the flexibility they have with personnel in this group.
I agree. We have too much Guard depth, and they really aren't good enough to garner extra slots on the team, IMO. I wonder if we were/are trying to trade one of them. I would rather have a little more tackle depth in case of an emergency. I certainly wouldn't trust anyone on our roster after Barksdale. I would give up Washington for tackle depth any day.

Barnes did get an extended look at Guard the last couple of weeks.

We'll probably only have 8 max activated on game day.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SoftliSTL/status/374296355910324224[/tweet]

Good, he must be flying out to meet Matt Scott to get him ready to go.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TurfShowTimes/status/374304343807115264[/tweet]

Anyone else find this intriguing?

Is something going on? Or maybe he had to have surgery on his broken nose.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TurfShowTimes/status/374304343807115264[/tweet]

Anyone else find this intriguing?

Is something going on? Or maybe he had to have surgery on his broken nose.

I saw that, I'm assuming it's something with his nose though, Fisher doesn't like to talk about injuries or anything, so it would explain why he's keeping it quiet. I don't think he's being replaced though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
fearsomefour said:

If you recall Wayne Hunter best of his recent NFL games came when he came in for Saffold @ LEFT OT post. His play @ OLT was much better than expected due to how bad he had stunk it up playing ORT for many years. Wayne Hunter would sure to come @ a big cost due to his yrs over a decade in the NFL. Richardson plays ORT about like Barksdale but Barksdale can be the SWING OT for us whereas Richardson can NOT. So with Barksdale you get a Young but improving Swing OT than neither the above two mentioned OT can do. Plus Barksdale comes @ a much friendly cap hit $$$!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]https://twitter.com/HBalzer721/status/374281881069449216[/tweet]

fearsomefour

Legend
""If you recall Wayne Hunter best of his recent NFL games came when he came in for Saffold @ LEFT OT post. His play @ OLT was much better than expected due to how bad he had stunk it up playing ORT for many years. Wayne Hunter would sure to come @ a big cost due to his yrs over a decade in the NFL. Richardson plays ORT about like Barksdale but Barksdale can be the SWING OT for us whereas Richardson can NOT. So with Barksdale you get a Young but improving Swing OT than neither the above two mentioned OT can do. Plus Barksdale comes @ a much friendly cap hit $$$! ""

Bringing anyone in would be under the assumption of carrying 9 lineman, which I think they will. The fact that Hunter played well at LT is exactly why I would be interested (sort of) in bringing him in. The starting 5, Barnes, Barksdale, Jones and lets say Hunter. Having a guy who can play LT spot still adds depth as it would allow us to replace both Ts if the need arose without having to move Dahl out to T. Right now the only person I would want playing as the 4th T would be Dahl. I dont think Washington or Williams bring as much to the table as an emergency T as Dahl. I was in no way suggesting replacing Barksdale.
Me bring up Hunter is another way of saying there were no names on the cut list I found interesting at all....which is a good sign I guess.

fearsomefour

Legend
CoachO said:
fearsomefour said:

I am assuming they will carry 9. No reason for a 6th WR or an extra RB unless injuries strike. I think coaches are nervous about having only two QBs dressed so we may still add another QB. I could see us carrying an extra DB as well instead of an extra lineman. So, given this example if you added a T then Washington and Smith would go.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CoachO said:
The question I have, how many O-linemen do you think they can afford to carry on the 53 man roster.

Last yr @ this time Snead, Fisher & Boudreau had only 8 OL'ers on the master roster with 3 reserve OL'ers. First game half time they only had one reserve left & his name was Rok Watkins. The following week they were running all over rounding up a new cadre of OL'ers signing the following Ojinnaka, Barksdale, Shelley Smith & Tim Barnes. Sam & the entire Offense were sputtering with failure & failure on drives. Bottom line was the Rams lost 3 of the 8 for a very long time two went on IR & Saffold missed parts or all of 8 games.

Once they lose the roster exemption for Pead after week one, I fully anticipate Washington to be added to the Practice Squad OR Shelley Smith Waived.

I believe that Chase Reynolds would be released before those OL'ers .

I agree

I think you are correct here too...Its hinging of Washington & Smith.

That's possible if a good refurbishing project OL pops up on the waiver wire for Boudreau to work on. I already mentioned this in another post but Washington play his best game against the Ravens. Up to that game Washington had been working solely on the right side @ both OG & OT & it was not good. But Boudreau game him a full half @ his old college side LEFT. They moved Shelley Smith to ORG. Washington had one hell of a good night @ OLG.I am sure he surprised everybody how well he did on those big three interior Raven DL'ers.

On top of that Tim Barnes relieved Washington @ OLG & & performed even better. I'm thinking that after that game they went back & re inspected the work of Williams, Smith, Barnes & Washington @ that open starting OL post @ OLG. Another OL'er Barrett Jones played three quarters @ center & held up well on those NT's.

This may be one of the best versatile & flexible OL the Rams have put together in decades. Here's just some of the known OL posts that the OL'ers have worked in...

Harvey Dahl- Spent all his college days & first 3 yrs @ ORT until moving to ORG.
Rodger Saffold- may be the most versatile OL we have but he can play both OLT & ORT.
Chris Williams- has started in the NFL @ four OL posts.
Tim Barnes- like his college has played all three interior posts & has looked very good @ OLG in pre season.
Brandon Washington- Played three OLT/ORT & OLG in college in this pre season he has played ORG/ORT & OLG. His best pro OL position may be Left OG.
Barrett Jones- won awards in college playing as a starter @ OC, OLT,& ORG & has started @ the other two OL posts. As a Ram Barrett has played Three OL posts but mainly played OC but has taken series @ both OG posts.
Joe Barksdale is the Rams critical Swing OT @ both.
Shelley Smith was the Rams first OG reserve starting 6 games @ both OG posts.

If they determine by closer inspection & review by the very recent play of both Barnes & Washington @ LEFT OG ...They may be shopping Shelley Smith for a trade for a draft choice. Smith has worth & is sound but is not the best for a OL like Boudreau runs.

fearsomefour said:
So, given this example if you added a T then Washington and Smith would go.

I think the Rams will go with 9 OL'ers this season.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
Once they lose the roster exemption for Pead after week one, I fully anticipate Washington to be added to the Practice Squad OR Shelley Smith Waived.

I believe that Chase Reynolds would be released before those OL'ers .

I agree

Before they cut Josh Hull, I would have reluctantly agreed with you regarding Reynolds. But he is on EVERY Special Team, and I think he may just stay as a ST player.

In much the same way they kept Dominique Curry around a couple of years ago, Chase Reynolds my stay on this roster not as a RB, but as a ST player. (who can take a rep or two at RB in an emergency).

That's why I think that either Smith or Washington might be on the outside looking in after week one.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Good point CoachO. I hadn't given any thought to what the domino effect would be when they cut Hull. They might be thinking that way.

Or they might just be paranoid of having the O-line be the weak link again this year. We have a couple of old guys and not much depth. I'd bet that neither of those two guards would be on the street for long if we cut them.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
Good point CoachO. I hadn't given any thought to what the domino effect would be when they cut Hull. They might be thinking that way.

Or they might just be paranoid of having the O-line be the weak link again this year. We have a couple of old guys and not much depth. I'd bet that neither of those two guards would be on the street for long if we cut them.

I don't understand why everyone continues to thing they don't have much depth on this Offensive Line. While it might not be in the NUMBERS of in specific positions, the biggest strength of the unit is the flexibility of the people they are keeping.

BonifayRam said:
This may be one of the best versatile & flexible OL the Rams have put together in decades. Here's just some of the known OL posts that the OL'ers have worked in...

Harvey Dahl- Spent all his college days & first 3 yrs @ ORT until moving to ORG.
Rodger Saffold- may be the most versatile OL we have but he can play both OLT & ORT.
Tim Barnes- like his college has played all three interior posts & has looked very good @ OLG in pre season.
Brandon Washington- Played three OLT/ORT & OLG in college in this pre season he has played ORG/ORT & OLG. His best pro OL position may be Left OG.
Barrett Jones- won awards in college playing as a starter @ OC, OLT,& ORG & has started @ the other two OL posts. As a Ram Barrett has played Three OL posts but mainly played OC but has taken series @ both OG posts.

This is the very thing I am talking about. I realize a lot of people want to anticipate "worst case scenarios", but what happened to this team in the past is NOT the norm. If you look around and compare our "depth" to most of the other teams in the league, I think you might feel differently.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CoachO said:
albefree69 said:

I don't understand why everyone continues to thing they don't have much depth on this Offensive Line. While it might not be in the NUMBERS of in specific positions, the biggest strength of the unit is the flexibility of the people they are keeping.

BonifayRam said:

This is the very thing I am talking about. I realize a lot of people want to anticipate "worst case scenarios", but what happened to this team in the past is NOT the norm. If you look around and compare our "depth" to most of the other teams in the league, I think you might feel differently.

This is the main thing keeping a young not established yet pocket passer Sam upright you & I will never be in agreement in this OL area. Ram OL's injuries is not just a 2012 event its been a usual event over & over again. The OL failures over the past decade have played heavy into it's constant loosing seasons. I do look at other teams depth CoachO. I disagree with your conclusions in this OL area.
When you have 4 out of your five starters with recent injury issues & rehabbing events... that's unusual for most teams. If you have an known weak area that has always caused issues in the past you would be very unwise not to take extra measures to back up that serious issue to prevent a damn break.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
This is the main thing keeping a young not established yet pocket passer Sam upright you & I will never be in agreement in this OL area. Ram OL's injuries is not just a 2012 event its been a usual event over & over again. The OL failures over the past decade have played heavy into it's constant loosing seasons. I do look at other teams depth CoachO. I disagree with your conclusions in this OL area.
When you have 4 out of your five starters with recent injury issues & rehabbing events... that's unusual for most teams. If you have an known weak area that has always caused issues in the past you would be very unwise not to take extra measures to back up that serious issue to prevent a damn break.

Then tell me what you would have them do?

Taking into consideration all the other things they have addressed in the time Fisher and his staff have been here.

Maybe it wasn't you who I quoted, and if it wasn't then I apologize.......

But the comment stands. this is probably the deepest and most flexible Offensive Line they have assembled in years. And while the starters are "experienced" and yes, have recent injury history, they have put together a young and promising group of players to develop.

I am NOT one who believes that you have to throw HIGH draft picks at this unit to make it productive. I have seen Jake Long practice, and he shows NO signs of any lingering effects. Wells, prior to last year, was as consistent as they come when it came to being in the lineup on Sundays. Dahl was injured for TWO games, sure. But he has been very durable throughout his career.

I just think there is just an over riding feeling of despair when it comes to this unit, based on a long history of bad decisions (Jacob Bell, Jason Smith, Jason Brown...... etc.) But this regime has shown the desire to bring in proven performers (Long and Wells), develop younger players (Barnes, Smith, Washington, Barksdale).

Again, I realize I tend to be "glass half full" when it comes to this sort of thing. But I also try to observe what the organization is doing, and understand the reason behind those decisions. Until I see otherwise, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially THIS staff.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
For myself, I think what they should is twofold.

Short term they need to prepare for injuries. Our normal yearly injury driven collapse of the O-line will be the only thing that can hold us back this year.

Long term they need to start investing some draft capital in the O-line. I know we've done that in the past and not had good results but that shouldn't stop us from doing what needs to be done.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
BonifayRam said:

CoachO said:
what happened to this team in the past is NOT the norm.
Yes, as Bonifay says, it is unusual for most teams. And as Coach says, what happened in the past is not the norm. The question here isn't, is it going to happen again? It's what have they done to prevent it happening again?

That's in the flexibility of the Oline roster. Besides, Saffold is the only one of the 4 with extensive health issues, and by my count he's had his fluke incident already.

nighttrain

Legend
CoachO said:
BonifayRam said:

Then tell me what you would have them do?

Taking into consideration all the other things they have addressed in the time Fisher and his staff have been here.

Maybe it wasn't you who I quoted, and if it wasn't then I apologize.......

But the comment stands. this is probably the deepest and most flexible Offensive Line they have assembled in years. And while the starters are "experienced" and yes, have recent injury history, they have put together a young and promising group of players to develop.

I am NOT one who believes that you have to throw HIGH draft picks at this unit to make it productive. I have seen Jake Long practice, and he shows NO signs of any lingering effects. Wells, prior to last year, was as consistent as they come when it came to being in the lineup on Sundays. Dahl was injured for TWO games, sure. But he has been very durable throughout his career.

I just think there is just an over riding feeling of despair when it comes to this unit, based on a long history of bad decisions (Jacob Bell, Jason Smith, Jason Brown...... etc.) But this regime has shown the desire to bring in proven performers (Long and Wells), develop younger players (Barnes, Smith, Washington, Barksdale).

Again, I realize I tend to be "glass half full" when it comes to this sort of thing. But I also try to observe what the organization is doing, and understand the reason behind those decisions. Until I see otherwise, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially THIS staff.
good input CoachO, and like you, with THIS staff, well they have creditability in the dept of judging and keeping the right players
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
For all of you who aren't worried about the O-line because you are putting your trust in the FO you should keep something in mind. Just because the Rams are going with what they have doesn't mean that Snisher is happy about it. We had a lot of holes to fill and they're working on all of them as fast as they can. That doesn't mean that in some areas aren't deficient.

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
For all of you who aren't worried about the O-line because you are putting your trust in the FO you should keep something in mind. Just because the Rams are going with what they have doesn't mean that Snisher is happy about it. We had a lot of holes to fill and they're working on all of them as fast as they can. That doesn't mean that in some areas we're not deficient.
not just trust in the FO ALBE, but what Coach Lou was able to do with last season's crew.
train