Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Im just saying G-Rob is a mess, feet, hands, weight control, the mental aspect of the game, I don't know see all the power he is supposed to have. If Kromer can fix all that with the CBA practice limits he is a miracle worker.

If he fixes him great, but I am not getting my hopes up in any way. I have learned some important lessons from the whole Alex Barron, Jason Smith, G Rob saga. Tackles need to have some sort of technical aptitude or traits are worthless.

In three years I haven't seen anything that makes me think wow this guy will be a good tackle. 2.5 years starting at tackle you have seen all types of rushers all types of moves and faced many guys at least twice. G Rob cant watch film and see how he was beat? He cant say to himself or make a conscious effort not to do something again. He makes alot of the same mistakes over and over again. There has got to be an element of learning from your own mistakes

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im just saying G-Rob is a mess, feet, hands, weight control, the mental aspect of the game, I don't know see all the power he is supposed to have. If Kromer can fix all that with the CBA practice limits he is a miracle worker.

If he fixes him great, but I am not getting my hopes up in any way.

Our entire OL is a mess. With how many young OLs we have, I think the struggles of our OLs extend beyond the players.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Our entire OL is a mess. With how many young OLs we have, I think the struggles of our OLs extend beyond the players.
I like honestly think it's too young and there are too many young guys for 1 man to coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like honestly think it's too young and there are too many young guys for 1 man to coach.

I think it goes way beyond that. I really wonder if Boudreau is still capable of handling it. As I recall, he got pretty sick a couple years ago. The OL coaching has really seemed to regress since that point.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think it goes way beyond that. I really wonder if Boudreau is still capable of handling it. As I recall, he got pretty sick a couple years ago. The OL coaching has really seemed to regress since that point.
Wow.
I had no idea

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze

If he fixes him great, but I am not getting my hopes up in any way. I have learned some important lessons from the whole Alex Barron, Jason Smith, G Rob saga. Tackles need to have some sort of technical aptitude or traits are worthless.

In three years I haven't seen anything that makes me think wow this guy will be a good tackle. 2.5 years starting at tackle you have seen all types of rushers all types of moves and faced many guys at least twice. G Rob cant watch film and see how he was beat? He cant say to himself or make a conscious effort not to do something again. He makes alot of the same mistakes over and over again. There has got to be an element of learning from your own mistakes
I agree, I don't think G Rob is the answer at LT but trust me, if anyone can turn him into a LT it's Kromer. Check out the post I did earlier talking about how he sent 4-5 different saints OL to the probowl

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
StealYo said GRob has NEVER played good. That's not true. Go back and watch the last five games of 2015. He had no holding or false starts, gave up no sacks, picked up the blitzing LB or S. He rated top ten by PFF at LT the last five games of '15. So we know GRob has it in him and CAN and HAS played good LT..

What bothers me and what I blame coaching for is their failure to recognize what changed and why they didn't continue do what was successful those last five games.

One factor was the change at LG to Garrett Reynolds. Reynolds was like a coach on the field for GRob. Go back and watch. Reynolds was always talking to GRob when they came to the line, pointing at different defensive players and helping him recognize defensive alignments and what his assignment was. That's called "continuity" and Boudreau failed to ever get "continuity" out of his O linemen. That's coaching failure.

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
StealYo said GRob has NEVER played good. That's not true. Go back and watch the last five games of 2015. He had no holding or false starts, gave up no sacks, picked up the blitzing LB or S. He rated top ten by PFF at LT the last five games of '15. So we know GRob has it in him and CAn and HAS played good LT..

What bothers me and what I blame coaching for is their failure to recognize what changed and why they didn't continue do what was successful those last five games.

One factor was the change at LG to Garrett Reynolds. Reynolds was like a coach on the field for GRob. Go back and watch. Reynolds was always talking to GRob when they came to the line, pointing at different defensive players and helping him recognize defensive alignments and what his assignment was. That's called "continuity" and Boudreau failed to ever get "continuity" out of his O linemen. That's coaching failure.

I find it hard to believe he was rated top 10 in PFF a third of the season and still finished a bottom 3 tackle. If he did shows you just how bad he is.

No holding or false starts doesn't mean you are playing. It is what is expected of you. How do we know they didn't continue to do what was successful?

Not buying the continuity thing either. He played next to Saffold pretty much all year year who is even more vocal and experienced than reynolds. In fact when people were healthy or not benched the line was same all year except for RG where they tried everyone.

Ram65

Legend
It's impossible to know what is or isn't on Boudreau because he's the only NFL OL Coach to work with Greg. What I can say is that our OL was a total dumpster fire last year. They weren't on the same page all season long. That is a coaching failure.

They had the dear in the headlight look all to often. Seemed like they didn't know who to block on stunts/blitzes and ended up blocking no one. GRob seems a little slow in reacting and a little off balance as well. I agree that the new coaches have to evaluate him and make him play better or at least give him a chance. Not sure if it's OT or OG but, they could get some positive play out of him.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like I said StealYo, go re-watch the last 5 games of '15 and still tell me GRob can't play LT.

If Kromer can't get GRob back to that level, then I will call GRob a bust. He's only had one NFL OL coach.

I've seen GRob up close in TC and all that "no balance", "heavy foot", talk is nonsense GRob has all the talent to play LT. I've seen him come off the snap fluid and smooth against Quinn, Hayes and Simms. I've seen him pancake all three.

This will be the season that makes or breaks GRob. If Kromer can't get him on track, then I'll be on board for the Rams to move on at LT.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like I said StealYo, go re-watch the last 5 games of '15 and still tell me GRob can't play LT.

If Kromer can't get GRob back to that level, then I will call GRob a bust. He's only had one NFL OL coach.

I've seen GRob up close in TC and all that "no balance", "heavy foot", talk is nonsense GRob has all the talent to play LT. I've seen him come off the snap fluid and smooth against Quinn, Hayes and Simms. I've seen him pancake all three.

This will be the season that makes or breaks GRob. If Kromer can't get him on track, then I'll be on board for the Rams to move on at LT.

This is a coaching thread , so it is interesting to see how this all plays out.
1. Who is the OC ?
2. Will scheme play a big part of how GRob & the rest of the O-line play.
3.Does the coaching staff have a big say in if Saffold gets released ?
4. Kromer was hired because he was the best OLine coach available or is it that he has relations with the new OC ?

-GRob never really played with that mean nastiness he played with in 2015. Same as Todd Gurley just giving Ram fans a flash were he made a play by himself. GRob & his pancakes are fun to watch.He does have all the tools.He changed his stance last year as well.It seemed he started off a lot lower.He also got called for a lot of boarderline holdings . Which if not called let's him just play & not(think) worry about a bunch off other things in his head.
--Gurley needs to get back to being a better back. The Rams miss the heck out of Bennie. To me he is so under evaluated. NE wanted him as a FA as well.KR & third down back.Solid in protection as well.Has that is factor for the big play at the right time of the game.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Im just saying G-Rob is a mess, feet, hands, weight control, the mental aspect of the game, I don't know see all the power he is supposed to have. If Kromer can fix all that with the CBA practice limits he is a miracle worker

seems like i remember something about teams with new coaches get an extra week of ota or training camp. it's not much but might help.
on the weight control to me it looks like grob gets all that weight moving in one direction and can,t get it going the other way (balance). might be better playing at 305 or 310.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Tom Clements would be an excellent get. Would be another person who could add in the development of Goff.
I think "if" we did end up getting him he would be up there w/ Kromer & Philips hiring imho..
Not sure we are what he is looking for though. Fingers crossed!!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Green Bay held him back for years, wouldn't let him interview.
He's a good coach, deserves a shot. I'd love to have him but don't see the need for a vet play caller like him if McVay is calling plays

I think regardless we can utilize him to oversee the everyday Offense. Below him QB,OL,RB and WR coaches.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think regardless we can utilize him to oversee the everyday Offense. Below him QB,OL,RB and WR coaches.
I'm a huge Clements fan and have thrown his name out for years when coaching gigs were up for grabs.
He's better than Trestman, but similar in that it might actually be overkill with experience on the o-side with Olsen/Clements taking orders from McVay.
Seems like they need to find room for Wade's kid too. Be surprised if he moved laterally for the WR gig

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Yea I think Wes will be named OC soon enough. I threw a link up from twitter from a redskins news reporter suggesting his sources say Wes is our guy. We'll see though, would love a veteran presence like Clements, but I can't imagine him taking a step back in title.

This story is interesting tho, curious to see the behind the scenes logic for letting him go after they blocked interview after interview from other teams in prior years.