Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

F. Mulder

Starter
FWIW, Kromer would have to stand in line with the number of current and past players who have thrown Cutler under the bus. Just saying.....

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I'm not pining for the days of the Four Pillars approach. I didn't particularly enjoy the 10-38 record it produced.

Character has different meanings to different people. I want guys here who love football, are great at it, and work their ass off. That's football character to me. I can deal with issues in the past if they offer those things.

I'm sure the Rams investigated Kromer's background. They are good with it. And I am elated by that.

All very good and all, but I'm just hoping the media does it's job -- like they did when Mora hired Tom Bradley. Let's hear McVay's response.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Its obvious Boudreau failed with Robinson for whatever reason. GRob did show the last 5 games of '15 he can play LT. No holding, false starts or sacks given up. Boo failed to recognize whatever clicked for GRob to accomplish that. I'm hoping Kromer can bring that kind of play out of GRob again.
The whole offensive line took a step back last year. Boudreau didn't get much of anything out of the 2015 rookie picks. Nobody can say he can't coach up players, especially after what he with Barry Richardson, Joe Barksdale, and Chris Williams, but his time with the Rams will likely be judged by Robinson.

I almost think that Robinson just can't handle mental pressure. The more the microscope has been on him, the worse he plays. At the end of 2015 nobody was talking about him and suddenly you hear from PFF that he's grading out as a decent left tackle. In 2016, as the whole offensive line struggled, it just magnified the issues he was having and his play regressed even further. I wouldn't be shocked if once the Rams let him go, he quietly turns things around.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
That is my fear Goat. That the Rams give up on GRob and he goes to another team where he suddenly plays great at LT, locks down LT for 10+ years, and even makes the probowl.

The Rams have invested too much in GRob to give up on him yet. He's only had one NFL OL coach. Lets see what the new coaching staff can do with him for another season before we toss him aside.

IMHO, coach Boo failed. The whole OL was doing well the last part of 2015 and regressed in 2016. Blame Boras, scheme, zone, whatever. They played worse and Boo was the OL coach. Their failure falls on him.

GRob has said he is thinking about attending LeCharles clinic for O-linemen again this offseason. I hope he does.

I guarantee another team will pick him up if the Rams cut him now.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I don't think they will cut him right away, the new regime & Aaron Kromer (OL Coach) will make an assessment, also maybe the Assistant OL Coach will be Jackie Slater who stated he could fix GROB...In the end I trust the new regime to make the proper assessment.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
That is my fear Goat. That the Rams give up on GRob and he goes to another team where he suddenly plays great at LT, locks down LT for 10+ years, and even makes the probowl.

The Rams have invested too much in GRob to give up on him yet. He's only had one NFL OL coach. Lets see what the new coaching staff can do with him for another season before we toss him aside.

IMHO, coach Boo failed. The whole OL was doing well the last part of 2015 and regressed in 2016. Blame Boras, scheme, zone, whatever. They played worse and Boo was the OL coach. Their failure falls on him.

GRob has said he is thinking about attending LeCharles clinic for O-linemen again this offseason. I hope he does.

+1 ^^^^^This^^^^^^^

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Keeping investments based on sunk cost is never a good idea. It's not about how much has been invested in him, but how much he can give us that should determine if we keep him in the future. If he's never going to be successful here, but will turn it around and play great as a bottom tier free agent for another team then we should let him go. That is, if it's our situation and not him that's the problem.

The absolute best thing that could happen for this situation already has. We have a fresh set of eyes with no emotional attachment to how much time, effort, and draft pick value we've spent on him. McVay and Kromer should be able to make a solid determination of how worthless or valuable he may be.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/coach-742095-offensive-rams.html
By RICH HAMMOND
The Rams' Sean McVay, the youngest coach in the modern age of the NFL, turned 31 on Tuesday, and McVay continues to add to his staff of assistant coaches.

Aaron Kromer, a longtime NFL assistant, is set to join the Rams as their offensive line coach, although the move has not yet been made official. The Rams also are expected to retain running backs coach Skip Peete.

McVay hasn't yet been on the job two weeks, but he's been busy. The Rams officially have hired Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator and are expected to bring on Bill Johnson as defensive line coach, Joe Barry as linebackers coach and assistant head coach, and Greg Olson as quarterbacks coach.

Kromer, 49, started his NFL career as an offensive line coach in Oakland in 2001, then moved to Tampa Bay in 2005. He coached New Orleans' running backs in 2008, then moved to the offensive line and served as the Saints' interim coach for six games in 2012 when Asshole Face was suspended.

Kromer was offensive coordinator in Chicago in 2013 and 2014, then spent the past two seasons as Buffalo's offensive line coach. Kromer was suspended for the first six games of the 2015 season after he and his son were arrested and accused of punching a teenage boy. Chargers later were dropped.

Peete is expected to return for his second season as the Rams' running backs coach, and special teams coach John Fassel also has been retained by McVay.

McVay has yet to hire an offensive coordinator but said shortly after his hiring that he intends to call offensive plays for the Rams.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The absolute best thing that could happen for this situation already has. We have a fresh set of eyes with no emotional attachment to how much time, effort, and draft pick value we've spent on him. McVay and Kromer should be able to make a solid determination of how worthless or valuable he may be.

I can agree with that. Thing is, some decisions need to be made sooner rather than later, based on past film, because free agency & the draft will also be deciding factors before we even get to camp for the new coaches to make some of these personal eye test evaluations. While in camp, i'm just hoping GRob gets as many opportunities at OG as he does at LT. jmo.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keeping investments based on sunk cost is never a good idea. It's not about how much has been invested in him, but how much he can give us that should determine if we keep him in the future. If he's never going to be successful here, but will turn it around and play great as a bottom tier free agent for another team then we should let him go. That is, if it's our situation and not him that's the problem.

The sunk cost rationale doesn't apply to G-Rob. His entire contract is guaranteed. There's no value in cutting him. At minimum, he can provide depth. But I'm still hoping that Kromer gets through to him.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay and Kromer should be able to make a solid determination of how worthless or valuable he may be.
All the players.

That's the most promising thing about the change.

No preconceived notions... no blurred judgement because of draft order... no "friends" from prior teams (OK, there could be some of that in the future).

They have a clean slate to work with and, IMO, it'd be suicidal to do anything less than give a full evaluation of every player, allow them an opportunity to succeed and - MOST IMPORTANTLY - if they can't prove themselves to the coaches satisfaction... they MUST move on.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

I can't put G-Rob's failures solely on Boo. He has never played well. His technique is just god awful. There is no way Boo wasn't coaching technique. At some point you have to hold the player accountable.

He did the LeCharles Bentley thing last season and was just as bad. Other players did the LeCharles Bentley offseason program and improved, but G-Rob certainly didn't. Can we put that all on Boo? I think not. Has Boo done a great job? No, but what can you do when a player consistently panics and holds when he is a bad position. You can coach technique all you want, but if a player constantly forgets technique, panics, and holds what can you do.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The sunk cost rationale doesn't apply to G-Rob. His entire contract is guaranteed. There's no value in cutting him. At minimum, he can provide depth. But I'm still hoping that Kromer gets through to him.

I was specifically referencing what @bubbaramfan did, that we have invested to much into grob to give up on him now. That is text book sunk cost fallacy. Even if his salary is fully guaranteed next year and the year after, or however long, if he isn't going to become what we want him to be then he needs to be let go. It's costly but it's the right move to get the right guy in here and the wrong guy out. That takes leadership and fresh eyes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was specifically referencing what @bubbaramfan did, that we have invested to much into grob to give up on him now. That is text book sunk cost fallacy. Even if his salary is fully guaranteed next year and the year after, or however long, if he isn't going to become what we want him to be then he needs to be let go. It's costly but it's the right move to get the right guy in here and the wrong guy out. That takes leadership and fresh eyes.

That's poor allocation of resources. Letting Greg go costs us money. Even if he isn't what we want him to be, he's still capable of providing depth. We all know how important depth on the OL is.

But I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Robinson yet.

I can't put G-Rob's failures solely on Boo. He has never played well. His technique is just god awful. There is no way Boo wasn't coaching technique. At some point you have to hold the player accountable.

He did the LeCharles Bentley thing last season and was just as bad. Other players did the LeCharles Bentley offseason program and improved, but G-Rob certainly didn't. Can we put that all on Boo? I think not. Has Boo done a great job? No, but what can you do when a player consistently panics and holds when he is a bad position. You can coach technique all you want, but if a player constantly forgets technique, panics, and holds what can you do.

It's impossible to know what is or isn't on Boudreau because he's the only NFL OL Coach to work with Greg. What I can say is that our OL was a total dumpster fire last year. They weren't on the same page all season long. That is a coaching failure.

There are a lot of guys in the history of the game who turned their careers around when they landed with the right coach. I can't take coaching out of the picture.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler

Once again I know squat about O line play. With that said, Greg has some of the worst balance I have ever seen for such an athletic guy. He doesn't just end up on the ground, he is usually hitting the ground like a load of bricks. I don't know if he has very good body control. He's very powerful and you can see the explosive movements, but he has never looked controlled. I'm not sure you can fix that through coaching, it's more of a personal matter IMO. I'd suggest some yoga and even ballet or a dance class. Not even kidding.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
It's impossible to know what is or isn't on Boudreau because he's the only NFL OL Coach to work with Greg. What I can say is that our OL was a total dumpster fire last year. They weren't on the same page all season long. That is a coaching failure.

There are a lot of guys in the history of the game who turned their careers around when they landed with the right coach. I can't take coaching out of the picture.

I am saying it is not all on coaching. Not a single aspect of his game has improved since his three year.s There has be at least a little self improvement. Did Boo just destroy everything he learned over a whole summer of working with Bentley? I find that hard to believe. Not every lineman in the league has the right coach, but are still getting the job done. G Rob has not gotten the job done in any shape or fashion for 3 years. IMO shouldn't be do anything more than competing for a spot at guard.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm not saying Boudreau did a great job, but I'm sure it doesn't help that Fisher and Snead gave him a bunch of mismatched bullshit on the OL that fit different schemes and have different strengths, ask him to make them a cohesive unit, then change up schemes and run things like a ZBS that really don't fit the personnel.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am saying it is not all on coaching.

It could be. I just don't get the feeling that Greg lacks desire or work ethic the past couple of years. He seems to be trying. He seems to want it. Maybe he just doesn't have the ability. Or maybe the coaching and scheme just aren't working for him.

Not a single aspect of his game has improved since his three year.s There has be at least a little self improvement. Did Boo just destroy everything he learned over a whole summer of working with Bentley? I find that hard to believe.

Frankly, I don't think it's hard to believe. Boudreau reportedly runs a very complicated scheme. It didn't seem like our guys were on the same page at all this year. When Greg isn't comfortable with his assignments and doesn't feel confident in what he's doing, it's going to make it harder for him to just play.

I think the fact that he doesn't seem to be improving at all (neither do our other young OLs) speaks volumes.

Not every lineman in the league has the right coach, but are still getting the job done. G Rob has not gotten the job done in any shape or fashion for 3 years. IMO shouldn't be do anything more than competing for a spot at guard.

Greg Robinson isn't every lineman. He's Greg Robinson. He was a sushi raw kid coming out of a blocking scheme that wasn't similar to what he'd be doing at the NFL level. He's not a guy you can realistically expect to just fix himself.

He'd hardly be the first talented player to turn it around once he found the right coach and scheme. Look at Jermon Bushrod. Bushrod barely had any game experience before Kromer became the Saints OL Coach. Heading into his age 25 season (and third year in the NFL), Bushrod had appeared in only 3 games with 0 starts. He immediately became a starter under Kromer and ended up going to 2 Pro Bowls during Kromer's time with the Saints. Greg will be heading into his age 25 season in 2017. Maybe we see a similar turnaround.

If not, I hope we see him turn it around at OG. Would be nice if he could lock up one spot on the OL. Point being that I want to see what Kromer can do with Greg before I write him off. It's clear that it didn't work under Boudreau, but Greg wouldn't be the first guy to blossom when he landed with the right coach.

Hell, another example is Marcus Gilbert. Steelers fans used to tear him to shreds when he was younger. They ranted about how bad he was and what a bust he was. The Steelers brought in Mike Munchak to coach their OLs, and he developed Gilbert into one of the NFL's best RTs.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I don't think Boudreau was a good o line coach. He had high picks at each tackle spot and all picks either never panned out or regressed under his watch. He has not developed one pro bowl lineman. Robinson came into camp this past offseason way overweight and was still trying to cut weight into the first couple of preseason games. I think Robinson's feet are way too slow for him to be a pro bowl LT and would be a better RG but if anyone can turn him into a serviceable LT it's Kromer