Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
............. Demby was a solid draft pick, but I still have doubts. Yes, once pads come on, I personally think he is a weak link as far as strength........
Should be be using the word "Weak" when we discuss Jamil Demby?

I was under the impression that Jamil Demby was known for "He's naturally strong with some pop at the point of attack" & He's a big strong dude." . Other bullet points were:

*Plus muscle density in his build with broadness from chest to hips
*Big hands
*Stiff jab in his pass punch
*Lands with heavy hands and locks it out
*Features size and anchor to combat and absorb power rushers
I'm pretty sure that every player on the offensive line cross trains.
I would think it would be mandatory.

Williams is a tackle/guard.

Williams had definitely better have a good camp.
Those three draft picks definitely put him on the bubble.
He's not practice squad eligible but he's veteran enough to get picked up by another team.
I must have missed the information of where Darrell Williams has been getting some OG reps. I would think that if DW is seeing reps @ OG its one the left side?I sure do NOT see any OG potential in DW.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Should be be using the word "Weak" when we discuss Jamil Demby?

I was under the impression that Jamil Demby was known for "He's naturally strong with some pop at the point of attack" & He's a big strong dude." . Other bullet points were:

*Plus muscle density in his build with broadness from chest to hips
*Big hands
*Stiff jab in his pass punch
*Lands with heavy hands and locks it out
*Features size and anchor to combat and absorb power rushers

I must have missed the information of where Darrell Williams has been getting some OG reps.
Seeing how one of the main issues Williams has had is playing in balance, without lunging and getting "nose past toes", the thought of his at G is scary.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Every player on the offensive line has a position that they are best at.
But if you want to be a "game-day active" as we know Darrell Williams has been, you have a primary position and then a secondary position.

Darrell Williams best position seems to be left tackle but if worse comes to worse, on game day, he might have to play guard.
If you had two injuries on the o-line during the same game he might have to play center.
I do find it strange if they are not giving these guys reps at multiple positions just for general purposes.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
And Bonifay, I don't see any potential in Darrell Williams being on this team at all come cut day.
When they draft 3 o lineman they're looking to replace somebody.
I see Williams, Eldrenkamp, Kolone and Neary as firmly on the bubble.

After the starting five my guess would be;
Noteboom
Blythe
Allen
Lucas
Demby (on the practice squad).

Gameday actives for the first few games as Blythe and Lucas.

JMO.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
The size of Brian Allen has been brought up a lot here as usual but a good reminder is another 4th rd OC/OG drafted prospect who was the same size as Allen ....Shaq Mason 6-1 304lbs has done outstanding being small for the Pats @ starting OG & it is thought that Mason could land a deal similar to the five-year, $66.5 million pact Andrew Norwell signed with Jags in March 2

Shaq Mason. He was drafted with the 131st pick of the 2015 draft by the Pats. Rams could have drafted him but went with the bigger Andrew Donnal at pick 119. Bigger does not always mean better.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Shaq Mason. He was drafted with the 131st pick of the 2015 draft by the Pats. Rams could have drafted him but went with the bigger Andrew Donnal at pick 119. Bigger does not always mean better.
Most people looked at Shaq Mason as a sure thing in the pros.
The only thing I knew about Donnal is that he had an injury history.
I used to scout the hell out of offensive lineman during the Fisher era.
I was a big proponent of the Havenstein pick.
I also liked the Jamon Brown pick when I heard they were thinking about converting him at guard.
I wanted them to build offensive line through the draft instead they were picking up cast offs like Scott Wells and Jake Long.
I remember going to sleep after the first round of Fisher's first draft thinking YES we're going to get Cordy Glenn!
Man was I stupid.
I immediately turned on Fisher!

The beginning of the end is not pretty. :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And Bonifay, I don't see any potential in Darrell Williams being on this team at all come cut day.
When they draft 3 o lineman they're looking to replace somebody.
I see Williams, Eldrenkamp, Kolone and Neary as firmly on the bubble.

After the starting five my guess would be;
Noteboom
Blythe
Allen
Lucas
Demby (on the practice squad).

Gameday actives for the first few games as Blythe and Lucas.

JMO.
As usual we are very close in our thoughts here on this OL. I believe that the 3 Ram drafted rookies will make the master roster (MR) without any issues barring injury of course.

Of last years WWC's interior OL'er Aaron Neary appears to have a step up thus far in very early practices. Neary is entering his 3rd TC now & has some experience ahead of some other unknowns. As @den-the-coach & others pointed out many times AN was over-matched in the 9ers gm. that he started last season. AN began as a UDFA with Denver in 2016 & was cut after the reg. season began. The Eagles pick him up quickly & AN remained with them until through the 2017 reg. season began & was release soon afterwards. Kromer liked him & scooped AN up on September 3, 2017 after the season began. So this is Kromer's first time with AN in OTA's & mini camp & soon TC. This bares watching. AN was an Eastern Washington University standout offensive left guard for 4 seasons as a starter....he is similar to Blythe bigger 6-4 304lbs smart & more technician type.

RT Cornelius Lucas has been a "work in progress" for his entire career. CL was a UDFA in 2014 & UFA back in Feb. made the rounds & then returned to LA in late April, signed with a slight pay increase. Just like Neary this will be Kromer's first time chance to get CL in OTA's/ Mini's & TC. CL spent 4 yrs with the Lions & was cut. I see CL & rookie Jamil Demby fighting it out for the reserve RT position behind Rob Havenstein. The wild card here is top 2018 Ram draft choice Joe Noteboom & how quick he catches on in TC where he may come on fast enough to be the gm day swing OT. CL will either end up on the MR as our 4th OT or will be released before the reg. season begins.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Most people looked at Shaq Mason as a sure thing in the pros.
The only thing I knew about Donnal is that he had an injury history.
I used to scout the hell out of offensive lineman during the Fisher era.
I was a big proponent of the Havenstein pick.
I also liked the Jamon Brown pick when I heard they were thinking about converting him at guard.
I wanted them to build offensive line through the draft instead they were picking up cast offs like Scott Wells and Jake Long.
I remember going to sleep after the first round of Fisher's first draft thinking YES we're going to get Cordy Glenn!
Man was I stupid.
I immediately turned on Fisher!

The beginning of the end is not pretty. :D

Snead also falling in love with Quick

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As usual we are very close in our thoughts here on this OL. I believe that the 3 Ram drafted rookies will make the master roster (MR) without any issues barring injury of course.

Of last years WWC's interior OL'er Aaron Neary appears to have a step up thus far in very early practices. Neary is entering his 3rd TC now & has some experience ahead of some other unknowns. As @den-the-coach & others pointed out many times AN was over-matched in the 9ers gm. that he started last season. AN began as a UDFA with Denver in 2016 & was cut after the reg. season began. The Eagles pick him up quickly & AN remained with them until through the 2017 reg. season began & was release soon afterwards. Kromer liked him & scooped AN up on September 3, 2017 after the season began. So this is Kromer's first time with AN in OTA's & mini camp & soon TC. This bares watching. AN was an Eastern Washington University standout offensive left guard for 4 seasons as a starter....he is similar to Blythe bigger 6-4 304lbs smart & more technician type.

RT Cornelius Lucas has been a "work in progress" for his entire career. CL was a UDFA in 2014 & UFA back in Feb. made the rounds & then returned to LA in late April, signed with a slight pay increase. Just like Neary this will be Kromer's first time chance to get CL in OTA's/ Mini's & TC. CL spent 4 yrs with the Lions & was cut. I see CL & rookie Jamil Demby fighting it out for the reserve RT position behind Rob Havenstein. The wild card here is top 2018 Ram draft choice Joe Noteboom & how quick he catches on in TC where he may come on fast enough to be the gm day swing OT. CL will either end up on the MR as our 4th OT or will be released before the reg. season begins.

Training camp will be like the start of another season. Will see how player improve.You make some good points for sure.
My thoughts now is DW & AN both we’re getting first round reps. That might not be as big of a deal though as far as getting better?
The 2nd unit went against the first unit,so that might have been better for the younger players

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think they fell in love with Quick when they saw him moon walking backwards two feet off the ground while catching a touchdown on the field at Appalachian State during the workout.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Just glad The Tams are putting an emphasis on the offensive line. The 3 draft picks add to the competitiveness & depth.

I think Les Snead likes to add position players through the draft. Like WR & TE last season.
TE & WR the year before as well.

Then this year with DL/LB along with O’lineman. Once again OLine & With Gurley.
The year before DB’s withJoyner,Mo,EJ Gaines.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So, my guess is that he is picking players in bunches in deep position groups.
This year had some good o lineman and definitely had some depth at linebacker.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/kromer-looking-forward-to-evaluating-o-line-at-training-camp

Kromer Looking Forward to Evaluating O-Line at Training Camp

Evaluating the offensive line, much like its counterpart on defense, is a difficult task during the offseason.

Given the latest collective bargaining agreement, the offseason program is more focused on technique and skill development with no opportunities for one-on-one matchups. Plus, practices throughout OTAs and minicamps are restricted to jerseys and shells, with no padded practices allowed until training camp.

But for Rams offensive line coach and run game coordinator Aaron Kromer, there is, however, an important purpose for the offseason program when it comes to the front five — allowing players to learn the system fully before they attempt matchups against some of the league’s best.

“I think any human needs confidence first — can they do it correctly on air, can they do it correctly on a bag, can they do it correctly on a backup player that isn’t really ready to play?” Kromer said. “But then ultimately the test is, can you block the guys you’re going to have to block during games?”

For the Rams, the offensive line has a bit of an advantage in this regard. During training camp, the club’s O-Line will be up against players like Ndamukong Suh and Michael Brockers, who are highly considered some of the most dominant in the NFL.

As such, training camp will create a measuring stick of sorts, giving Kromer a chance to fully evaluate both veteran and rookie players.

“I think we’ll get a lot of opportunity during training camp of going ones on twos, and then twos on ones, so it’ll give everybody that opportunity,” he said.

And training camp will be especially beneficial for the group of rookies the club drafted in the spring. Los Angeles’ 11-player draft class consisted of three offensive lineman, including the Rams’ top pick of the draft in Joseph Noteboom.

Kromer said the group has been doing “a great job of learning, understanding why things are happening, and trying to master those techniques.” But like the rest of the O-line room, the rookies will also have to wait until after training camp to receive a true evaluation.

“Right now, everything we do is schematics, technique and you don’t have the physical nature of the plays, and the games,” Kromer said. “But as far as an evaluation period, you can’t evaluate the offensive line until after training camp, during training camp, and during the preseason games when everything really starts happening fast.”

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I hope that Kromer's new position as Run Game Coordinator doesn't affect his ability to spend time with the offensive lineman.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hope that Kromer's new position as Run Game Coordinator doesn't affect his ability to spend time with the offensive lineman.
One would suspect that Andy Dickerson will have a much heavier workload & responsibility.
https://www.therams.com/team/coaches-roster/andy-dickerson

Andy Dickerson enters his seventh season as the Rams’ assistant offensive line coach in 2018. He came to the Rams after serving in similar roles with the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets.With the assistance of Dickerson, the Rams offensive line paved the way for one of the biggest offensive turnarounds in NFL history, helping the team improve from the 32nd-ranked scoring offense in 2016 to the league’s top-scoring team in 2017.

During the 2017 campaign, the offensive line provided time for QB Jared Goff to have a break-out campaign and allowed RB Todd Gurley II to lead the league in total touchdowns (19) and scrimmage yards (2,093) en route to earning AP Offensive Player of the Year accolades.Dickerson helped coach an offensive line that protected QB Case Keenum, who set career-highs in attempts, completions, completion percentage, passing yards and passing touchdowns in 2016.

For the third-consecutive year, the Rams boasted one of the NFL’s top rookie runners in 2015. The Rams’ offensive line blocked for Offensive Rookie of the Year and rookie Pro Bowler Todd Gurley to rush for 1,106 yards, which placed him third in the NFL in rushing yards. The Rams finished seventh in the NFL in rushing offense and allowed the fewest sacks in the league (18).

With the help of the St. Louis offensive line, RB Tre Mason finished second among all rookies and led the Rams with 765 rushing yards in 2015. As a team, St. Louis averaged 102.2 rushing yards per game, giving them at least 100 yards per game in each of Dickerson’s three seasons with the Rams.

In 2013, St. Louis averaged 21.8 points per game, the club’s highest point total since 2006, and the team’s offensive line had a great impact on the team’s play. RB Zac Stacy rushed for 973 yards, third most by a rookie in team history. Over the last 11 games, only six NFL backs rushed for more yards than Stacy. In the passing game, the Rams allowed 36 sacks in 2014, the eighth lowest total in the NFL.

In his first season with the Rams, Dickerson helped guide an offensive line that allowed just 35 sacks after giving up 55 the previous year. St. Louis’ offensive line was forced to deal with its share of adversity as nine different linemen started at least one game. The unit led the league in sacks allowed after seeing significant action from five rookies.

Dickerson spent the 2011 season with the Jets as a coaches’ assistant. He first broke into coaching as a member of their staff from 2006-08, with coaches’ assistant and defensive quality control responsibilities. He also spent two years with the Cleveland Browns, serving as assistant offensive line coach in 2010 and defensive quality control in 2009.

Before joining the Jets staff, Dickerson worked in the operations department of the New England Patriots, first as an intern in 2004 and then on a full-time basis the following year. He began his NFL career with the Washington Redskins as a training camp intern in 2003 before spending that season as a graduate assistant on the offensive staff at Tufts University.

ickerson played collegiate football at Tufts from 1999-2002. He also performed in the shot put, discus and hammer throw on the school’s track and field squad. Before that, he was a three-sport captain in football, wrestling, and track and field at Tower Hill School in his hometown of Wilmington, Del.