Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah the drafting of those three was a huge hint. If they stay healthy we can count on them being on the 53 man roster.

That is the easy answer!! I’m just going by what I’m seeing in camp. I want to sneak up the mountain on Thursday.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My take on it right now is that Neary has really stepped up his game, which is something I was totally doubting at first.

And hopefully that's the case, the knock on Neary coming out was his lack of strength and at Center against San Francisco that was obvious at the point of attack & in pass protection. Under the tutelage of Strength & Conditioning Coach Ted Rath that could have changed and it will be obvious in training camp with the Rams defensive line.

Neary is much lighter than Demby, listed at 299lbs, whereas, Demby is 321lbs. So let the games begin.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is the easy answer!! I’m just going by what I’m seeing in camp. I want to sneak up the mountain on Thursday.
It’s also the logical answer. They devoted draft capital to three online spots that will be free agents. They didn’t just bring those guys in for camp bodies. They took smart and healthy players that have played a lot of games. If that doesn’t raise a red flag that these guys are a part of the future then I’m not sure what to tell ya.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Just a few notes and opinions;

Austin Blythe is the man they are looking to to be the backup center this year.
Brian Allen is who they are attempting to groom as a possible future Center.
Allen fell in the draft because he is somewhat small but was probably one of the top two or three most talented centers *in college*.
How that translates to the pros is still in debate, mostly due to his size.

Depending on how Camp looks for Allen and Demby, they both could end up on the practice squad.
I think Noteboom is the only player that will definitely be on the 53.

But he would have to be really good in Camp to be a game-day active.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It’s also the logical answer. They devoted draft capital to three online spots that will be free agents. They didn’t just bring those guys in for camp bodies. They took smart and healthy players that have played a lot of games. If that doesn’t raise a red flag that these guys are a part of the future then I’m not sure what to tell ya.

I guess the question is about Demby being placed on the practice squad ? He might need a year to get quicker & stronger. Would he get claimed ? The preseason is still a couple months away. How much players improve & condition the next month & a half could make a huge difference. —Right now I’m talking out my ass. How many 6th rd picks ever really make it ?? I like the pick & the player for sure.
I just think he is the odd man out right now!! You can say all you want about it.The fact is he his being moved around & now playing a little Tackle which is a good thing, but could be a sign he less likely to make the 53 ?

Noteboom is going to be on the 53 as a swing tackle. Allen is a backup center who The Rams are placing at LG. —

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just a few notes and opinions;

Austin Blythe is the man they are looking to to be the backup center this year.
Brian Allen is who they are attempting to groom as a possible future Center.
Allen fell in the draft because he is somewhat small but was probably one of the top two or three most talented centers *in college*.
How that translates to the pros is still in debate, mostly due to his size.

Depending on how Camp looks for Allen and Demby, they both could end up on the practice squad.
I think Noteboom is the only player that will definitely be on the 53.

But he would have to be really good in Camp to be a game-day active.

Last year I thought The Rams would keep 9 O”lineman. They did , but actually went to 8
at one point.
Williams,Blythe, & who else ?? Lucas ??
Talk about scary.

My point being I think The Rams will carry 10 offensive lineman, but there is something to be said about who the Reps are going to. There is only so many reps to go around & McVay emphasizes that.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Tough decisions have to be made to get down to that 53.
The players that they keep have to be ready to be gameday actives in case of injuries.
If they don't think a player is ready to be a game-day active he's going to go to the practice squad if eligible.

Also there's some players they probably had their eye on in the draft that will be released as other teams get down to their 53.
They might have to swap out a player that's borderline for one they think that has more potential.

We have a long way to go before the cut down date but these things have to be taken into consideration.
No one is a lock other than the five starters at this point I would think and Noteboom.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rms have to be careful who they put on the PS. More than a few NFL teams are really hurting on their OL and will be looking for upgrades. Rams are near the top in depth at OL. (A pleasant change from just a couple of years ago).

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not sure I agree with you that we are at the top in-depth that on the OL, bubba.
Our starters kick ass and then....?

Blythe, Neary, Williams and Lucas?
They drafted one of every position to replace these guys (potentially).

3 unproven rookies?

I call that paper thin depth.

The best thing we have going for us is a real offensive line coach who *might* be able to mold one or two of those players into a starter or a backup.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Another thing to remember is that gameday actives will need to play two positions on the offensive line.

Last year they typically only activated two offensive lineman on game day.

That means you're going to have to either be a guard/tackle or a guard/center to be one of the two offensive linemen non-starters active on game day.

These rookies have a ton to learn.
Two positions minimum if they want to play this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Another thing to remember is that gameday actives will need to play two positions on the offensive line.

Last year they typically only activated two offensive lineman on game day.

That means you're going to have to either be a guard/tackle or a guard/center to be one of the two offensive linemen non-starters active on game day.

These rookies have a ton to learn.
Two positions minimum if they want to play this year.

Kromer just said Th Rams will only keep 2 backups to dress from O”line

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kromer just said Th Rams will only keep 2 backups to dress from O”line
Actually he said that's generally what NFL teams do. And that those 2 backups on game day usually need to be able to play multiple positions.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Elements I consider here in this discussion would be:

#1- No#1 objective is to protect the most important player on this Ram team {Franchised QB} which unit performs this task?

#2- Which unit has the oldest starting player @ his position in the NFL?

#3- Which unit has three under 30 yrs old starters as 2019 UFA's contain in it?

#4- Which unit has an aged 33 yr old veteran starter who has two back surgeries in his recent past?

What ever this Ram team did in 2017 season with its roster & the size of the overall units contained in there of...this in a new season with new situations & new problematic issues pending for the near future.

I would surmise that this 2018 season the Ram OL will be weighted down with concerns for the future of this Ram OL. If the Rams OL efficiency suffers a performance drop off for what ever reason this team will be significantly weakened.

My position here in these discussions on the overall size of this unit & the thought it will be slimmed or thinned down to the 8 or 9 player size of the past :thinking:...I expect a girthy thick OL cadre (10 to 11 OL'ers) contained in this 53 roster in preparation for the many future changes pending in less than a year from now.;)

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thx flv for the clarification on personel wagers. I'm pretty sure you were refering to mine. No one has yet to come forward and accept my wager, (I'm really not expecting anyone to), However if someone does, I will make sure its done properly in the sporstbook.(with you help as I've never done it before).

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I can't bet with you flav.

My name is Soul and I'm a recovering bet-a-holic.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think Bonifay has hit the nail on the head.
This is a BIG transitional year for the offensive line.

Out of this draft class, if we could get a starter and two backups?

That would turn this into an A+ draft automatically.

There is a great chance that by next year we will have to replace the two most important/skilled players on the offensive line.

It's never too early to start working to get those younger players up to speed and game experience.

They're already getting a lot of work early in camp and they could see some work during the season if we are leading.
By the time draft time comes around next year they need to know if they need to use a first or second-rounder on a left tackle (or center) who could possibly start right out of the box.

Last edited: