Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
A few random thoughts on Dickerson;

We have to remember that he was working under Boudreau.

I hope Kromer was able to get him up to speed and unlearn some of the things that were being done wrong technique wise.

The majority of the problem with Boudreau was not so much that he was a bad coach.
It was the shape, form and fashion that they went about in building our O line.

Old injury cast offs and bottom-of-the-barrel free agents is just not going to work but they rarely diverted from that until it was too late.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It still amazes me that such an experienced line coach, Boudreau fielded an OL with no veteran depth.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It still amazes me that such an experienced line coach, Boudreau fielded an OL with no veteran depth.
That has to be on "Final Say" Fisher, right?

Having final say has a lot of responsibility and Fisher made sure we knew he had final say.

I just pretty much put everything on him.
The good and the bad.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That has to be on "Final Say" Fisher, right?

Having final say has a lot of responsibility and Fisher made sure we knew he had final say.

I just pretty much put everything on him.
The good and the bad.

Keeping Rhaney & Reynolds to me was a freaking joke. They never coached players up either.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Eldrenkamp has to step up.... we've added some versatile depth so it's going to be interesting through the preseason..... hopefully we can stay healthy again too

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Eldrenkamp has to step up.... we've added some versatile depth so it's going to be interesting through the preseason..... hopefully we can stay healthy again too
Many good things have occurred in the Rams OL since Jake Eldrenkamp was initially signed May 8th 2017. @ that time Kromer was looking for a young prospect @ OG/OC. Since that time Snead found interior OL'er WWC Austin Blythe fresh from the Colts after the 2017 regular season began & also picked up another interior OL'er WWC from the Eagles & Broncos in Aaron Neary.

Blythe stuck from the beginning on the 53 player roster & Nearly stuck to the PS but was later activated over Jake Eldrenkamp. Now the Rams went out & drafted 3 highly talented OL'ers in Aprils 2018 Draft, plus signed a talented UDFA OL with outstanding pass protection technical skills in Jeremiah Kolone 6-3 316 lbs.

Kromer seems to collect smart OL'ers & Jake is said to be an incredibly intelligent prospect who gets the most from his ability. Jake is known for ......being versatile, violent hand punch, competes throughout the action, technically sound in both the running and passing games. I would think that the following is the reason Kromer kept Jake an athletic zone-scheme fit at guard. Rams have Jake signed for the next 3 seasons. Jake could ride the PS one more season & wait for the 2019 pending OL starters exodus fallout.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Keeping Rhaney & Reynolds to me was a freaking joke. They never coached players up either.
Reynolds was actually a good veteran backup who had our best per snap average in pass blocking while playing two or three positions on the line filling in.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Reynolds was actually a good veteran backup who had our best per snap average in pass blocking while playing two or three positions on the line filling in.

I guess I meant Chase Reynolds.

—Yes Hacksaw was a great Ram who changed the 9ers forever. Georgia was the one who let him go & was the start of the down cycle.

Having a family member was good. His injury stunk, but he made it to UCI for training camp
for the start of a new change.Garett Reynolds was solid.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Many good things have occurred in the Rams OL since Jake Eldrenkamp was initially signed May 8th 2017. @ that time Kromer was looking for a young prospect @ OG/OC. Since that time Snead found interior OL'er WWC Austin Blythe fresh from the Colts after the 2017 regular season began & also picked up another interior OL'er WWC from the Eagles & Broncos in Aaron Neary.

Blythe stuck from the beginning on the 53 player roster & Nearly stuck to the PS but was later activated over Jake Eldrenkamp. Now the Rams went out & drafted 3 highly talented OL'ers in Aprils 2018 Draft, plus signed a talented UDFA OL with outstanding pass protection technical skills in Jeremiah Kolone 6-3 316 lbs.

Kromer seems to collect smart OL'ers & Jake is said to be an incredibly intelligent prospect who gets the most from his ability. Jake is known for ......being versatile, violent hand punch, competes throughout the action, technically sound in both the running and passing games. I would think that the following is the reason Kromer kept Jake an athletic zone-scheme fit at guard. Rams have Jake signed for the next 3 seasons. Jake could ride the PS one more season & wait for the 2019 pending OL starters exodus fallout.

For what is worth. Neary has the upper hand right now.The practice squad is going to an interesting place for backups that could be building blocks for the future.

From what I see Neary is playing bigger than the size he is listed at.

However it all works out The Rams are so much further along right now than last season,
across the board.

Curious how
Much the depth chart will change once the pads come on. The Rams coaching staff is not afraid of Competition

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I know the rosters are full now because of training camp but;
Rhaney
Donnal
Wichmann
All currently signed on NFL teams.

I'm thinking Garrett Reynolds had some kind of undisclosed injury.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know the rosters are full now because of training camp but;
Rhaney
Donnal
Wichmann
All currently signed on NFL teams.

I'm thinking Garrett Reynolds had some kind of undisclosed injury.
We released him with an injury settlement during the 2016 camp and he hasn't played a down since.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We released him with an injury settlement during the 2016 camp and he hasn't played a down since.
I know. We just never heard what the injury was.
I thought we were making headway on the O line at that point.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So what's the magic number of OL on the 53 man roster? 9? 10?

I feel 9 is a good number, however, 10 is a tad heavy, but you could keep 10 if you feel they are worthy. Some teams go light with 8, but 9 IMHO is the magic number, but the Rams are Center heavy so that has to play into the equation as well.

@So Ram continues to post about Aaron Neary and I have posted several times, that Neary against the 49ers did not play well, in fact, much of the pressure that Mannion endured in that game came from up the middle right over Neary and from the left side where Darrell Williams played.

The reason I was excited about the Jamil Demby pick was his size and the transition to guard from tackle should be a seamless transition, also Demby at 6-5 321 pounds would offer something bigger than Blythe at 298lbs & Neary at 299lbs. Again we need to see how training camp goes and then preseason, also you have to factor in a possible injury as well.

Cornelius Lucas was lights out in the 49ers game, did not give up a sack and was very solid in the run game and graded out very well along with the Left Guard Austin Blythe in that game. Blythe has proven his worth, being able to hold down Guard & Center, however, Brian Allen seems to be the heir apparent to John Sullivan at center. I'm sure we will get an opportunity to see Lucas at LT, where @BonifayRam posted about Lucas having trouble at that position in Detroit and that is why the Lions acquired Greg Robinson and after the trade with the Rams, released Lucas, who was then claimed by the Rams, so in essence, one could surmise that the Rams received not only a 6th round pick for Robinson, but Cornelius Lucas as well.

Not sure if Lucas has the footwork for LT, but at RT, he seemed very good and his height at 6-9 is something that Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer covets, so I'm anxious to see how that plays out as well. I get the feeling the Rams keep 9 and I also get a feeling somebody with go on the IR, hopefully nobody serious and not one of the starters, but carrying 10 early could allow them to factor in an injury down the road.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I guess my big question is;
Why would they release such a good player simply because of an injury?

I think they should have road it out with Garrett and let him heal up.

Of course that fit the whole Fisher and Boudreau O line building method just to let the guy go.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Cornelius Lucas was lights out in the 49ers game, did not give up a sack and was very solid in the run game and graded out very well along with the Left Guard Austin Blythe in that game. Blythe has proven his worth, being able to hold down Guard & Center

Not sure if Lucas has the footwork for LT, but at RT, he seemed very good and his height at 6-9 is something that Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer covets
Great post with good info there den.

That's why I have Lucas and Blythe down as the early game day actives this year.

I see it like this;
If our LT goes down they slide Saffold over and put Blythe in at LG.

Blythe would also come in if the center or either guard go down.

They only really need Lucas to cover for our RT, which he can play, in my opinion.

If Allen or Noteboom or Demby prove their worth in practice as the season progresses, they may start activating them on game day.

I realize that means they hang onto ten O lineman one way or the other but I don't see them going with rookies as backups early on in the season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess my big question is;
Why would they release such a good player simply because of an injury?

I think they should have road it out with Garrett and let him heal up.

Of course that fit the whole Fisher and Boudreau O line building method just to let the guy go.
Two years later he’s not with a team. There’s obviously an issue with an injury or maybe his play. The Rams did nothing wrong here if a guy can’t make other teams why are you lining over him and wishing he was back on the team?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Two years later he’s not with a team. There’s obviously an issue with an injury or maybe his play. ....if a guy can’t make other teams why are you lining over him and wishing he was back on the team?
What are you talking about?

I never said one word about wishing he was back on the team.
I just look at it as another one of the huge mistakes Fisher made in building an O line.

Also they didn't even bother to make any type of statement on thanking him for his excellent work here, telling us what the injury was and the dude was a major legacy player for us.

I thought So Ram brought him up so I thought maybe one of my Rams bros on here could give me an idea what the info on the injury was.

There was no issue with his play other than he had to line up next to stiffs like Greg Robinson, Tim Barnes and Scott Wells.

They finally pick up one of their scrap heap players and he plays well and then they just dismiss him like yesterday's news.

I think it does say a lot about Fishers regime here however.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What are you talking about?

I never said one word about wishing he was back on the team.
I just look at it as another one of the huge mistakes Fisher made in building an O line.

Also they didn't even bother to make any type of statement on thanking him for his excellent work here, telling us what the injury was and the dude was a major legacy player for us.

I thought So Ram brought him up so I thought maybe one of my Rams bros on here could give me an idea what the info on the injury was.

There was no issue with his play other than he had to line up next to stiffs like Greg Robinson, Tim Barnes and Scott Wells.

They finally pick up one of their scrap heap players and he plays well and then they just dismiss him like yesterday's news.

I think it does say a lot about Fishers regime here however.
Got it!
“Why would we release such a good player simply because of an injury.

I think they should have rode it out with Garrett and let him heal up”

Doesn’t sound at all like you wish they’d kept him around :)