Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just curious, what has Williams ever done that makes you think he will make the Rams final roster? Because every time I've seen him he reminds me of a revolving door.

Right now I'm thinking Noteboom is the furtue.
Lucas & Williams are the players I think are battling it out for the other Tackle spot. The reason I even think Williams has a chance is last season he was the backup LT & got a lot of 1st. Team reps.Then his age & experience makes me think he should improve.
Lucas is just a massive guy & looks like he handles the Tackle pot alright.

The guard spot is a little different, with Allen looking to play guard only ? John Sullivan though is looking so solid right now. His confidence level is very high.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
See Tavons spot going to another RB or TE. Carrier has to be replaced, maybe Hemmingway is recovered, but saw him more as a receiver than a blocker.

Hemmingway is going to be a core special teams guy. He will be diverse if as a tight end

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Demby played LT in college at Maine, pretty big jump to the NFL. 3 rookies on an OL may not be the direction the Rams are looking to go with a playoff run coming.

They need to develop there offensive line. They did spend some quality picks for these players. Once again they may lose 3/5ths of there starting OLine.

DLux27

Rookie
5 starters from last year locks to start again this year barring injury as far as backups if rams carry 9 I’ll say Noteboom, Allen, Lucas, and Blythe (Demby either beats out Blythe which I don’t see, but he hopefully makes it to the PS). If 8 backups Noteboom, Allen, Lucas.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
5 starters from last year locks to start again this year barring injury as far as backups if rams carry 9 I’ll say Noteboom, Allen, Lucas, and Blythe (Demby either beats out Blythe which I don’t see, but he hopefully makes it to the PS). If 8 backups Noteboom, Allen, Lucas.

First off The Big 5 as I called them last season when everyone was doubting the offensive line & dissing Jamon Brown & The right side.

The Big 5 was able to allow McVay to keep extra players at another position.Austin Blythe was counted on hugely as well, plus Darrell Williams. Andrew Donnall was actually kept in the 53 when not 100%.

Whitworth came in last season & took on a leadership role. He said he liked to have the lineman connect as friends outside of the practice facilities. I watched Fan fanatic on NFL network last night.1. Saffold & Whitworth we’re leaving together. That was cool to see.

2. On Saturday before a game The Big 5 go out for dinner.
3. Saffold 320, Sullivan is 316 being the 2 lightest players.Saffold also becoming a FA this season. McVay will give him Wednesday’s off.Neary is filling in for him at LT right now.

4. Brown & Havenstien are both becoming FA’a.Both over 325 & are sponges tryin to RT better. Big Rob is a true student of the game. Brown is going to be a mauler.

5. Because of the possible loss of 3 guys , the 3 new rookies will need to stay on the roster. Demby is playing a lot of RG.Allen mainly at center. Noteboom at a Tackle spot.

5.Sullivan right now is at the top of his game. He is continuing to call the plays on the line. Blythe is getting in the mix.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Believe the Rams carried 8 OL for most of the season. The 5 returning starters are back, both draft picks Noteboom & Allen will make the roster, Blythe is back too. If the Rams go with 9, that spot will depend on how Noteboom looks at both Tackle spots come training camp. WIlliams or Lucas could be in line for that last spot.

That's what I was going to ask (the # of OL they carried). You're dead on for the 1rst 8 spots. I don't think there is, nor needs, to be any debate over that.

Starting 5 plus our first 2 draft picks, plus Blythe.
No brainer.

For me, it comes down to having another 3 guys ready and they in turn backfill as injuries occur. A couple will be on the PS and the one "most ready" to play could be OL #9. That being the case, I would give the nod to somebody who was on the roster last season over any rookie unless they have a stellar camp. It's easier to stash a rookie on the PS and somebody like Lucas or Williams would probably be released/dealt if he lost out to a rookie for that 9th spot (Williams?)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm pretty sure that Donnal was cut before the season started.

I never doubted the ability of this offensive line one bit because I thought it was the best one put together since the greatest show on turf.
I did highly doubt their reasoning in flopping Brown and Havenstien but thought that they might have considered flopping Saffold and Brown.
They did not flop Saffold and Brown which turned out for the best.

The health of the line, of course, was an amazing surprise.

They definitely were planning for the future somewhat with this last draft. Smart.

It is so awesome to see an organization that understands the importance of the offensive line.

The Fisher and Boudreau show drove me nuts.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
LT Whitworth
LG Saffold
C Sullivan
RG Brown
RT Havenstein

Reserves:
Blythe
Lucas
Noteboom
Allen

PS:
Demby- although if he plays well enough, and Allen struggles, flip them. Or, we go 10 deep.
Eldrenkamp

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LT...Whitworth, Noteboom
LG...Saffold, Demby
C...Sullivan, Blythe
RG...Brown
RT...Havenstein, Lucas

I'm betting on Demby because he'll be a pure Guard and is bigger than Blythe & Allen. Also factoring in Allen to IR.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm pretty sure that Donnal was cut before the season started.

I never doubted the ability of this offensive line one bit because I thought it was the best one put together since the greatest show on turf.
I did highly doubt their reasoning in flopping Brown and Havenstien but thought that they might have considered flopping Saffold and Brown.
They did not flop Saffold and Brown which turned out for the best.

The health of the line, of course, was an amazing surprise.

They definitely were planning for the future somewhat with this last draft. Smart.

It is so awesome to see an organization that understands the importance of the offensive line.

The Fisher and Boudreau show drove me nuts.

He was cut November 11th. & picked up by Baltimore on November 13, 2017.Which was surprising & very unannounced.

When he got cut I believe The Rams had 7 OLineman on the game day roster. It almost cost them.

Mo Alexander went out the same way. Was a starter & then done out of no where ?

I just shows the confidence the coaching staff has.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LT Whitworth
LG Saffold
C Sullivan
RG Brown
RT Havenstein

Reserves:
Blythe
Lucas
Noteboom
Allen

PS:
Demby- although if he plays well enough, and Allen struggles, flip them. Or, we go 10 deep.
Eldrenkamp

Allen is The Rams Center of the future. He is not going anywhere. You can tell already from practice.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LT...Whitworth, Noteboom
LG...Saffold, Demby
C...Sullivan, Blythe
RG...Brown
RT...Havenstein, Lucas

I'm betting on Demby because he'll be a pure Guard and is bigger than Blythe & Allen. Also factoring in Allen to IR.

That is crazy to think you don’t have Allen at all!!

Come on coach The Rams have 3 FA Lineman leaving at the end of the season. Maybe they can afford one ?

The Rams don’t draft Allen #2 ahead of all the other draft picks to cut him ??

I guess my bad, but Allen on IR??

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As of the 6th OTA , I’d say Darrell Williams is not getting any live from Ram fans. I understand the reason from his past play, but
IMO ??? Which certainly can be challenged, but from what I can he is getting 1st team Reps still !!
Aaron Neary is actually getting first team Reps as well, which is a surprise at LG.He is also getting 2nd team Reps as well. I’m guessing Saffold & Whitworth are getting time off. Saffold is going to get his veteran respect from coach McVay.

Right now John Sullivan is really looking 110%.
Demby looks like he is getting more work at RG for now. It is early still, but right now that is the way I see Kromer moving players around & giving them chances to succeed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
upload_2018-6-4_2-24-34.jpeg

Aaron Neary is getting a lot of opportunities at LG early on in OTA’s

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is crazy to think you don’t have Allen at all!!

Come on coach The Rams have 3 FA Lineman leaving at the end of the season. Maybe they can afford one ?

The Rams don’t draft Allen #2 ahead of all the other draft picks to cut him ??

I guess my bad, but Allen on IR??

I posted Allen to IR....Have a feeling one player will get IR'd and the Rams have the most depth a Center, so that's where I had Allen, otherwise, they could keep 10.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I posted Allen to IR....Have a feeling one player will get IR'd and the Rams have the most depth a Center, so that's where I had Allen, otherwise, they could keep 10.

That is a big F@ing IF !! I think Allen is one of the tougher SOB’s The Rams have on there team. You can guess all you want & I do wonder how much game playing goes on with IR. If that were the case Inthink it would be Demby who would get put on IR. He was wearing some cheap looking knee wraps during one practice.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Allen would have to be a total flop for him not to make the 53 or IR.

He sticks one way or the other.

They have other offensive lineman that would be easier to sneak through waivers or the practice squad.

IMO

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Allen would have to be a total flop for him not to make the 53 or IR.

He sticks one way or the other.

They have other offensive lineman that would be easier to sneak through waivers or the practice squad.

IMO

Agree , but Neary has really stepped up !! They are starting to flip flop.Allen playing LG is good to see.