OC Kevin O’Connell to the Chargers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Pederson is from WA State and sounding like he will end up in Seattle

TXRams86

The Infamous
Oh and btw the bad part of this is that we won't be able to hire Pederson out from under Seattle's nose. Too bad. :ROFLMAO:
Says who? If he’s willing to take a job as water boy and get a HC gig next year we can still hire him. Come on, would you rather go to Seattle and be stuck in purgatory under sleezy Pete or come work for the Rams as a water boy and almost be guaranteed a HC position since you now had ties with McVay?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pederson to Seattle irritates the shit out of me man. I don't want Wilson to have a capable coordinator.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Says who? If he’s willing to take a job as water boy and get a HC gig next year we can still hire him. Come on, would you rather go to Seattle and be stuck in purgatory under sleezy Pete or come work for the Rams as a water boy and almost be guaranteed a HC position since you now had ties with McVay?
I don't think McVay has enough clout to overcome Wilson and all those weapons they have. Not for a non-OC position.

To get him we would have needed to give him OC and I still don't know at that point that McVay could overcome the QB differential.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pederson to Seattle irritates the shit out of me man. I don't want Wilson to have a capable coordinator.
Then dont worry, because if this happens, he wont.
I dont see Pederson co-existing with Carroll one bit.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take Anthony Lynn over Pederson every day and twice on Sunday.
Get him to say yes and then O'Connell can head to San Di... I mean the apartment complex

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to see Gase as the Squawks OC just for the lol's with Adams there.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Googly Eyed Gase and Sneaky Pete. What a combo those two would be. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously... Pete's hires at OC have been so bad that ol' Googly would be an upgrade. He's solid as an OC.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Seems mcvay may block O'Connell....I don't want that five him the option....if he wants to go then go. I don't want anyone here who doesn't want to be here and if mcvay is calling the plays not right to just have him around to bring him Gatorade. Let him go if that's what he wants.

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt
I'm not sure what O'Connell brought to the table. Maybe the running game? Plays still take too long to get onto the field. The passing offense didn't look any different than it did last year. The guy wants to leave.

I can see maybe not wanting to give away play concepts that you might use next season but that seems like a weak reason for keeping someone over hiring someone that is more effective.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I see McVay and O'Connell taking time to jell into something that works on offense. I was very surprised Staley did so well his first year, but the fact he didn't share calling plays with McVay probably helped the defense become what it did.

Hopefully another offseason together will give them something dynamic.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just read McVay will not allow oconnell to interview for the chargers oc job

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a little bit of hardball by McVay. Wonder how O'Connell feels about it? He could move out of McVay's shadow really fast working with Justin Herbert, whereas he might get no credit at all even the Rams' O breaks out next year.

McVay has had three assistants hired as NFL HCs in four years. If the offense bounces back next year, something tells me Kevin will be looking at a NFL Head Coaching job.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a little bit of hardball by McVay. Wonder how O'Connell feels about it? He could move out of McVay's shadow really fast working with Justin Herbert, whereas he might get no credit at all even the Rams' O breaks out next year.
First time in 4 years he's done this and like Jrry said he has an ridiculous amount of assistants promoted. He probably will be better off for staying.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
McVay has had three assistants hired as NFL HCs in four years. If the offense bounces back next year, something tells me Kevin will be looking at a NFL Head Coaching job.
Maybe so. But hope O'Connell isn't pissed off. If he definitely wanted to stay with the Rams he could have just declined an interview with the Chargers.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never understood the block? If the guy is looking now he’s not going to stop.

The real focus should be on a DC and player movement IMO. If McVay is do great at play calling take it up again or get a yes man who will call your plays.

O’Connell didn’t appear to bring anything to the Offense. They were slow developing plays, ate up the time clock, and by the 5th jet sweep of the half it was apparent the Offense was back to predictable.