OC Kevin O’Connell to the Chargers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not so sure about that. I suspect that McVay divides his attention between his coordinators and that's based on rumors about how involved he has been with the defense even back when he had Wade who probably cracked jokes every time McVay got into x's and o's with him. Yeah he calls the plays but how much of the gameplan builds are him? I find that to be a very interesting question, the kind I'd love to hear a press person ask him.

I expect a new OC and most importantly a new QB coach.
I think Lafleur was a very big part in developing Goff. Since he has left Goff has went downhill. He goes to GB and Rodgers turns it around and has a great year. Rodgers wasn't that good last year.
Losing some of these coaches is very underrated.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Lafleur was a very big part in developing Goff. Since he has left Goff has went downhill. He goes to GB and Rodgers turns it around and has a great year. Rodgers wasn't that good last year.
Yeah obviously Lafleur was an important part of the team's success. But also remember that the Raiders hired Olsen away from us with the OC job and IMO that probably was a hit too.

Because since that point I don't feel like Goff's pre-snap (and primarily protection) reads have progressed at all. The guy was a fuckin mess this year.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Wasnt impressed with our o this year, I would gladly welcome Pederson if O'Connell were to leave.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure I read an article that went over how LaFleur was going to interact with Roger's, since McCarthy was clearly holding him back. If I recall, LaFleur said he was gonna let Roger's do his thing, he has the knowledge and the talent. So it might not be so much LaFleur but more of LaFluer letting Roger's off a leash.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
O'Connell isn't the play-caller here. With the Chargers, he would be. McVay won't block the move for that reason.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
A lateral move seems to be a slap in the face to Sean McVay. At least I would feel that way if I was in his position.
Strongly Disagree

Similar situation to Matt LaFleur being allowed to make a (technically) lateral move to TN in 2018.

In substance, it’s a bump up; and if McVay gives permission, it speaks volumes to his character and class allowing coaches to advance their careers when McVay could (to his own benefit) slow them down.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty sure I read an article that went over how LaFleur was going to interact with Roger's, since McCarthy was clearly holding him back. If I recall, LaFleur said he was gonna let Roger's do his thing, he has the knowledge and the talent. So it might not be so much LaFleur but more of LaFluer letting Roger's off a leash.
True, but he went in, recognized the problem and Rodgers has thrived.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but he went in, recognized the problem and Rodgers has thrived.
I think drafting a QB also helped to light a fire under Rodgers' ass too. He wasn't exactly his best self last season but this season we're seeing at least in part what that competition helped produce.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah obviously Lafleur was an important part of the team's success. But also remember that the Raiders hired Olsen away from us with the OC job and IMO that probably was a hit too.

Because since that point I don't feel like Goff's pre-snap (and primarily protection) reads have progressed at all. The guy was a fuckin mess this year.
We need a new top notch QB coach to work with Goff.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Strongly Disagree

Similar situation to Matt LaFleur being allowed to make a (technically) lateral move to TN in 2018.

In substance, it’s a bump up; and if McVay gives permission, it speaks volumes to his character and class allowing coaches to advance their careers when McVay could (to his own benefit) slow them down.
We differ then. Why isit always the HC showing class and letting guy go to the possible detriment of the team which gave him his big chance? How about showing a little class and not stepping on the Rams head on the way up after one year? At least give a team two years. It seems that this "class" argument is a one way street...

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Goff's regression started once he lost Greg Olson, Matt LaFleur, and Saffold IMO...Also, Hav suddenly struggling in pass pro hurts a lot...

Under O'Connell they miscast Goff in a quick read (slow to get the ball out)/PA-rollout offense (not a mobile QB) instead of addressing Goff's pocket issues (bad awareness, skiddish due to pressure, unable or reluctant for one reason to step up and make throws). They also COMPLETELY took away the deep ball in this offense.

Goff is a spread offense QB and played his best ball in a 3 wide, 1 TE, 1 RB set (had 3 pro bowl lineman at the time). I dont mind if O'Connell leaves, they didnt do their best to tailor fit this offense to Goff IMO...

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Patriots have had this problem for a couple decades.

Never easy but they are the problems you want to have.

The key will be the ability to replace. Literally dozens of stellar possibilities out there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Except that didnt happen.
LaFleur left after 2017 season, Goff went on to have the best season of his career in 2018, while LaFleur was stinking up the joint in Tennessee
What Goff lost was Todd Gurley.
Had to watch out for Goff, but you needed to stop Gurley if you wanted to win.
With No Gurley? (Or broken down version of?) Goff much easier to figure out

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Patriots have had this problem for a couple decades.

Never easy but they are the problems you want to have.

The key will be the ability to replace. Literally dozens of stellar possibilities out there.
What we haven't seen yet though is our coaches go out and get promoted then end up coming back to the team because they sucked outside of New England.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except that didnt happen.
LaFleur left after 2017 season, Goff went on to have the best season of his career in 2018, while LaFleur was stinking up the joint in Tennessee
What Goff lost was Todd Gurley.
Had to watch out for Goff, but you needed to stop Gurley if you wanted to win.
With No Gurley? (Or broken down version of?) Goff much easier to figure out
Olsen has always been known for his protections knowledge and coaching. I feel like the hires after his loss in early 2018 never really addressed that area of expertise. In fact it was 2018 where he really started to show signs of stress with that 6-1 look vs the Bears. Since that time it's been hit and miss for Goff until this year he started to show that regression the Miami week and he was fighting that and the DCs trying to take advantage thereafter.

And not making excuses for Jared here either. Just observing that when a guy like McVay has a season like this some heads are gonna roll IMO.

Oh and btw yes losing Gurley was a big deal that affected the entire offense. It hurt the OL, the QB, and the staff. But being specific to the QB situation here.

Ellard80

Legend
We differ then. Why isit always the HC showing class and letting guy go to the possible detriment of the team which gave him his big chance? How about showing a little class and not stepping on the Rams head on the way up after one year? At least give a team two years. It seems that this "class" argument is a one way street...

these guys all are trying to be head coaches... you will never become a head coach as a OC unless you are the main play caller.

staying one more year would him be wasting an opportunity to move closer to some day being an head coach.

It's a no brainer for him.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
McVay greatly benefited from opportunities. Makes sense to me he would not hold back giving someone an opportunity.

Heck, maybe he does not give permission for O’ Connell to pursue an OC job elsewhere.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
these guys all are trying to be head coaches... you will never become a head coach as a OC unless you are the main play caller.

staying one more year would him be wasting an opportunity to move closer to some day being an head coach.

It's a no brainer for him.
And Head Coaches are all trying to build a winning team with the help of staff. Everyone pursues their own goals, but hopefully being mindful of those who gave you a hand up...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay greatly benefited from opportunities. Makes sense to me he would not hold back giving someone an opportunity.

Heck, maybe he does not give permission for O’ Connell to pursue an OC job elsewhere.
McVay did, but how long was he with the Redskins before coming to the Rams? I bet it was longer than one year and it was for a promotion.

Ellard80

Legend
And Head Coaches are all trying to build a winning team with the help of staff. Everyone pursues their own goals, but hopefully being mindful of those who gave you a hand up...

I get your theme.. but its just not reality - you have to strike the iron when you have an opportunity, otherwise you may never get another one.

People go from hero to zero in this league in 4 games.

plus tbh - who cares about mcconnell... mcvay is the oc.

Staley hurts however.