OC Kevin O’Connell to the Chargers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I'm not so sure about that. I suspect that McVay divides his attention between his coordinators and that's based on rumors about how involved he has been with the defense even back when he had Wade who probably cracked jokes every time McVay got into x's and o's with him. Yeah he calls the plays but how much of the gameplan builds are him? I find that to be a very interesting question, the kind I'd love to hear a press person ask him.

I expect a new OC and most importantly a new QB coach.

My understanding is that LaFluer was responsible for most of the gameplanning in '17. Logical to believe it's been that was the case when he finally hired another OC, no?

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Instead of taking a lateral move somewhere else, I would like for one of them say "I am turning down the offer. I am very happy where I'm at. I think we have a bright future and would like to be a part of it."

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My understanding is that LaFluer was responsible for most of the gameplanning in '17. Logical to believe it's been that was the case when he finally hired another OC, no?
Honestly I have no idea how much of the gameplanning Lafleur was responsible for. But if you look at 2017 we had a lot of the same probs in that playoff game vs Atlanta.

Personally I don't think Lafleur was some secret sauce. I think he's a good coach who learned a lot from McVay and stepped into a fantastic situation in Green Bay. But again who knows only time will tell.

Back to the gameplanning and coordination McVay probably expects his coordinators to do their jobs though yes. And he adjusts if necessary then approves the gameplan and calls the plays. But this is guesswork.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except that didnt happen.
LaFleur left after 2017 season, Goff went on to have the best season of his career in 2018, while LaFleur was stinking up the joint in Tennessee
What Goff lost was Todd Gurley.
Had to watch out for Goff, but you needed to stop Gurley if you wanted to win.
With No Gurley? (Or broken down version of?) Goff much easier to figure out

LeFleur had a different roll here than the position he took on in Tenn.
And while he may have stunk it up in Tenn, GB saw enough in him to hire him as their Head coach and he has done well.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Instead of taking a lateral move somewhere else, I would like for one of them say "I am turning down the offer. I am very happy where I'm at. I think we have a bright future and would like to be a part of it."
Fair take but if we’re talking strictly about offensive coordinator it’s going to be really hard for guys to prove their worth under McVay since he’s technically the shot caller on offense. I don’t blame LaFleur or O’Connell for moving on and becoming a “legit” OC.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Olsen has always been known for his protections knowledge and coaching. I feel like the hires after his loss in early 2018 never really addressed that area of expertise. In fact it was 2018 where he really started to show signs of stress with that 6-1 look vs the Bears. Since that time it's been hit and miss for Goff until this year he started to show that regression the Miami week and he was fighting that and the DCs trying to take advantage thereafter.

And not making excuses for Jared here either. Just observing that when a guy like McVay has a season like this some heads are gonna roll IMO.

Oh and btw yes losing Gurley was a big deal that affected the entire offense. It hurt the OL, the QB, and the staff. But being specific to the QB situation here.
Goff had his best season without Olson and LaFleur. Starting with the Chicago game? Well, Gurley's disappearance seemed to begin after Detroit. Again, Goff was at his best when Gurley was at his best. Defending both was a challenge. When Gurley was no longer a challenge, Goff was defenseless. It was McVay, it was always McVay.
Olson is just a yes man in Oakland like he was with the Rams, he's been nothing more than a back of the pack OC in his many stints.
Goff had the chance to prove it was his team, and without TGIII, he's just not the guy. TGIII proved when healthy, he could shred, even in a Jeff Fisher offense with lousy QB play. I think Akers can be that 2nd option that people fear. Question is will the other option still be Goff?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LeFleur had a different roll here than the position he took on in Tenn.
And while he may have stunk it up in Tenn, GB saw enough in him to hire him as their Head coach and he has done well.
Easy to look good with Aaron Rodgers. Couldnt figure out how to use Derrick Henry though. Yikes... Different role in LA means he wasnt all that relevant. Didnt call plays. He must have a lucky shamrock though, to land that GB job, screw up the draft, alienate Rodgers, and then stay out of the way and let 12 do his thing has worked out well for him

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where did you hear that? McVay was running the Gruden/Shanahan offense. And who was the OC he hired to replace LaFleur?
It was Noah
Noah Body

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff had his best season without Olson and LaFleur. Starting with the Chicago game? Well, Gurley's disappearance seemed to begin after Detroit. Again, Goff was at his best when Gurley was at his best. Defending both was a challenge. When Gurley was no longer a challenge, Goff was defenseless. It was McVay, it was always McVay.
Olson is just a yes man in Oakland like he was with the Rams, he's been nothing more than a back of the pack OC in his many stints.
Goff had the chance to prove it was his team, and without TGIII, he's just not the guy. TGIII proved when healthy, he could shred, even in a Jeff Fisher offense with lousy QB play. I think Akers can be that 2nd option that people fear. Question is will the other option still be Goff?
Gurley's fall was without a doubt the biggest problem for everyone on offense. And I can't argue anything you say there.

As to Olsen being a yes man I don't have enough to make an observation like that. I am just referring to his known grasp of protections and the reason I mention him is because most of Goff's issues start there.

My deal here is that I would try to recoup value with Goff at a minimum. I would not sell him on the cheap this offseason I would attempt to build his value. Not sure that is going to work, it comes down to Goff and whether he can get back to confidence in those reads so he can smooth all that shit that's gone wrong downstream of those reads.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Gurley and the interior OL. Akers looks like he's the guy. Solidify the interior OL, and the offense will be rolling again next year.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair take but if we’re talking strictly about offensive coordinator it’s going to be really hard for guys to prove their worth under McVay since he’s technically the shot caller on offense. I don’t blame LaFleur or O’Connell for moving on and becoming a “legit” OC.
That's true, but they must have proved something to get promotions? It would just be nice if one of them liked it here enough to stay. But I understand what you are saying.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
True, but he went in, recognized the problem and Rodgers has thrived.
LaFleur did a great job of organizing the offense around Rodgers and ensuring a high level of execution. McCarthy held the whole team back, just as he is doing at Dallas.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Gurley and the interior OL. Akers looks like he's the guy. Solidify the interior OL, and the offense will be rolling again next year.

I like your optimism, but we will have a bigger nut to crack if Whitworth retires.

Seems to me we could also use a better deep threat, unless Jefferson could be it, and for both tight ends Higbee and Hopkins to step up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like your optimism, but we will have a bigger nut to crack if Whitworth retires.

Seems to me we could also use a better deep threat, unless Jefferson could be it, and for both tight ends Higbee and Hopkins to step up.

Whitworth said he's coming back.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Whitworth said he's coming back.
Hope so, but he still sounded at least somewhat equivocal to me. Maybe I missed something. Also assume that the Rams will want him back, but they have made some surprising cuts and trades the last couple of years.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

What is that going to look like ?

I don’t see much change if Whitworth comes back? Plus I wonder about Brian Allen. Is he a BiGBUST?

The OC? Yet as again the season The Rams have another OC? I’d say Goff,but why Mcvay is calling Goff out?

Maybe ? The Rams promote Phillips?

Waldron &Kromer are still on the staff as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

How many comp picks??

What is Malcom Brown’s status?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hope so, but he still sounded at least somewhat equivocal to me. Maybe I missed something. Also assume that the Rams will want him back, but they have made some surprising cuts and trades the last couple of years.

He looked like he was playing hurt against GB from the start.

Internal it is a hard call,except the coaching staff within.

Is Mcvay calling Goff out? What is Wolford status? Does Mcvay think he has something there & telling the team everyone has to EARN there spot?

The Ramowl

Starter
O'Connell can go, this offense was poorly coach IMO, some of that certainly is on McVay, but if the OC can't elevate us, they can go.
We need a new QB coach I think, and asap. We need someone who will get Goff back to his strength and give him confidence again. He found a lot of confidence back in these playoff games, let's put the off season to good use.