NFL.com mock draft has us taking a QB 1st round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Like I posted in another thread, if McVay takes a QB high in this draft, it probably means that he is planning to stay long term. If not, he may be planning to retire when AD, Kupp, and Stafford does.
It will be interesting to see what he does!
Sure a QB in the first 2 rds is a positive on McVay looking to be here for the long-term, but if not it really just means they see Stafford as being here at least 2 more yrs. They certainly could trade the farm next yr to move up for a QB if needed.

oldnotdead

Legend
Everyone here knows I've been predicting QB1 in the first round. But IMO the Rams have targeted probably 2 at most 3 QBs that project as fits for what McVay wants. McCarthy has the talent but he's very raw in the most important part of that "fit" which is reading and going through progressions accurately and quickly. That is something that absolutely can be coached. He would need two years to develop though he could be a starter in his second year but probably not a SB contending type of QB in 2025.

The two that project as fits for McVay's current offense are IMO Nix and Penix. That said the Rams will have to move up to get either. That is why Snead was ambiguous about drafting a QB in the first round. Their targeted QB must drop and they must find a trade partner. That said I think they will try to sign Wentz to a two year deal to be a backup and potential bridge starter in 2025 should Stafford retire in 2025 as I think he will. That would allow them to take someone like McCarthy and give him two years if needed to develop should they not be able to get their targeted QB. IMO they should be able to strike a conditional deal with say the Chargers, Titans, or perhaps the Giants.

So yeah if they can I think they will take a QB in round one if a trade up can be worked out If not then CB, Edge or LT would be in play in the first round IMO.

McCarthy has the arm talent but has a lot of issues with technique and of course learning to read and go through his progressions. He also tends to bail too quickly. McVay's offense isn't predicated upon needing a running QB, he wants a pure pocket passer with good accuracy and touch.

QBs like McCarthy and Rattler have the arm talent to be a starter in the NFL. But both need to show they can improve their technique issues and look like 2nd or 3rd round picks that might surprise in their 3rd year.

Of course Snead could always trade a 5th round pick to the Eagles for Tanner McKee who really isn't a fit for their scheme. He's a pure pocket passer with good arm talent. He played well last pre-season. At the very least they would get a good backup if not an eventual starter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Richardson's college stats weren't great at all.
His rookie stats weren't great either, given that he only lasted a handful or so games with a 2-2 record, and even missed one game in the middle of those. Guys who aren't ready to read at the NFL level need to use their legs to move the chains if they want to have a chance to show well, and they tend to get hurt which he did.

Not hating on the dude here. Who knows at this point, maybe they hit on the pick. But he was inconsistent as hell in college and got hurt almost right away his rookie season so it's not like he's a great example of positivity for comps.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Like I posted in another thread, if McVay takes a QB high in this draft, it probably means that he is planning to stay long term. If not, he may be planning to retire when AD, Kupp, and Stafford does.

Hmm. Interesting takes I hadn’t considered.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Everyone here knows I've been predicting QB1 in the first round. But IMO the Rams have targeted probably 2 at most 3 QBs that project as fits for what McVay wants. McCarthy has the talent but he's very raw in the most important part of that "fit" which is reading and going through progressions accurately and quickly. That is something that absolutely can be coached. He would need two years to develop though he could be a starter in his second year but probably not a SB contending type of QB in 2025.

The two that project as fits for McVay's current offense are IMO Nix and Penix. That said the Rams will have to move up to get either. That is why Snead was ambiguous about drafting a QB in the first round. Their targeted QB must drop and they must find a trade partner. That said I think they will try to sign Wentz to a two year deal to be a backup and potential bridge starter in 2025 should Stafford retire in 2025 as I think he will. That would allow them to take someone like McCarthy and give him two years if needed to develop should they not be able to get their targeted QB. IMO they should be able to strike a conditional deal with say the Chargers, Titans, or perhaps the Giants.

So yeah if they can I think they will take a QB in round one if a trade up can be worked out If not then CB, Edge or LT would be in play in the first round IMO.

McCarthy has the arm talent but has a lot of issues with technique and of course learning to read and go through his progressions. He also tends to bail too quickly. McVay's offense isn't predicated upon needing a running QB, he wants a pure pocket passer with good accuracy and touch.

QBs like McCarthy and Rattler have the arm talent to be a starter in the NFL. But both need to show they can improve their technique issues and look like 2nd or 3rd round picks that might surprise in their 3rd year.

Of course Snead could always trade a 5th round pick to the Eagles for Tanner McKee who really isn't a fit for their scheme. He's a pure pocket passer with good arm talent. He played well last pre-season. At the very least they would get a good backup if not an eventual starter.
Reminds me of Desmond Ridder

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'd rather flip our first RD pick to Chicago for Fields than take JJ in R1.

dang

Legend
The Rams plan coming into the 2023 season was to relieve the cap, load up with rookie talent, sprinkle in inexpensive FA vets and see what was needed to make a serious run to the top of the NFL in 2024. I’d say they are on track with that strategy. And have far fewer holes to fill than expected due to an excellent draft and smart FA acquisitions. So what we should see in the 2024 FA/Draft phase is finding the missing pieces to make a 2024 run happen IN 2024.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams want a QB, they can wait until the 2nd or possibly 3rd round and get McCarthy, Penix or Nix
I like Rattler as 3d/4th rounder the most

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we get to the third or fourth round and one of those three QBs falls to us, then you take him. Otherwise take one of the backups round 5ish (assuming Wentz is not retained). If Wentz signs then we're good I think at QB for this year.

Load this fucking defense up with talent. I want to see what Stafford can do in this offense when he's got 3 'n outs giving him that ball back early and often.

Turducken

Starter
Stafford is under contract for three more seasons. He hasn't been hinting at retirement. A big injury might change this, but i don't think they factor that.

If rams assume he's our starter for next three seasons, we wouldn't get much of the benefit of a starting rookie contract QB scenario. Just one season at a big discount and a fifth year option at a partial discount.

If you have the sort of feeling and commitment about a late first round prospect that the Packers had with Jordan Love, i guess you pull the trigger. Otherwise wait a year (or wait two and start to clear space for a veteran trade or FA acquisition).

oldnotdead

Legend
Stafford is under contract for three more seasons. He hasn't been hinting at retirement. A big injury might change this, but i don't think they factor that.

If rams assume he's our starter for next three seasons, we wouldn't get much of the benefit of a starting rookie contract QB scenario. Just one season at a big discount and a fifth year option at a partial discount.

If you have the sort of feeling and commitment about a late first round prospect that the Packers had with Jordan Love, i guess you pull the trigger. Otherwise wait a year (or wait two and start to clear space for a veteran trade or FA acquisition).
I think if you look at the structure of Stafford's contract he's not expected to play in 2025. In both 2025 & 2026 there are roster bonuses attached to both years something not on previous years. No guaranteed money with only his guaranteed money over those two years to spread his cap hit over the contract.

When the contract was originally signed you can infer the context by it's structure. When Stafford talked about continuing to play he only said 2024. Both the Rams and Stafford have been acting like 2024 will be his last season. If they can't grab a targeted rookie then they are back to plan "B" IMO.

Yeah Goff will be a FA in 2025 but IMO Sean burned that bridge. It's why I think it's return to fuck'em picks this year to grab a future #1QB.

oldnotdead

Legend
It's why I expect them to try to sign Wentz to a 2 year deal as a bridge QB contingency which allows them to take a more developmental QB and develop him for 2 years if need be. Wentz would be foolish not to extend for 2 years even if he knows his future isn't in LA. But it will allow him to showcase himself or at least say he was a QB for McVay.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think if you look at the structure of Stafford's contract he's not expected to play in 2025. In both 2025 & 2026 there are roster bonuses attached to both years something not on previous years. No guaranteed money with only his guaranteed money over those two years to spread his cap hit over the contract.

When the contract was originally signed you can infer the context by it's structure. When Stafford talked about continuing to play he only said 2024. Both the Rams and Stafford have been acting like 2024 will be his last season. If they can't grab a targeted rookie then they are back to plan "B" IMO.

Yeah Goff will be a FA in 2025 but IMO Sean burned that bridge. It's why I think it's return to fuck'em picks this year to grab a future #1QB.
Nope.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if you look at the structure of Stafford's contract he's not expected to play in 2025.
I think you havent looked at the structure of his contract, because this couldnt be further from the truth.
10 mill of his 2025 salary will be guaranteed in a matter of weeks with an additional 5 mill when the 2025 league year opens.
Why it's structured that way is how teams can circumvent a fully guaranteed deal by installing mile stones that are easily achieved.
Not that you'll read this as your tendency to regurgitate false info is your "thing"

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

I see absolutely nothing is Stafford's contract that supports your hypothesis. The roster bonuses ($5M per year) are peanuts compared to his overall compensation.

I also have not seen or heard anything from the Rams or Stafford that supports the assertion that they "have been acting like 2024 will be his last season."

If Stafford stays healthy in 2024, I expect he'll be back in 2025. Same goes for 2026.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office