NFL Black Monday Primer: Coaching hiring/firing discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I hope he gets an NFC West HC gig... he is NOT that good.

Remember when he was OC for the Rams and insisted on long developing, 7 step drop plays and it got Bradford killed?

My son is a HUGE NE fan and he says it all the time... McDaniels, without Brady, is mediocre at best.

Brady makes McDaniel... not the other way around. AZ would be a good place for him. :sneaky:

When I look at coaches there are two different elements I'd evaluate/break them down in...

1. Gameplanning/anticipation. In this area McDaniels is among the better minds in the league IMO.

2. Leadership. This is where he came up short in Denver. He didn't have the maturity the top job required, and very quickly lost the veteran players with his influence in the locker room eroding badly from there.

Dude was a smug, arrogant SOB when he got his first job. Wasn't ready. But he still flashed some ability in winning six straight out the gate before he lost the team, and some of the things he was criticized for--like benching Brandon Marshall--weren't bad decisions so much as things that backfired more than they should have due to him losing the locker room.

Not a big fan of him btw. But if I'm in the HC hunt right now he's a guy I would be very interested in interviewing to see how far along he's come. If his maturity is there, then some team might score pretty big in bringing him in.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/02/jon-gruden-i-hope-im-a-candidate-for-raiders/

Jon Gruden: I hope I’m a candidate for Raiders
Posted by Josh Alper on January 2, 2018

When the Raiders fired Jack Del Rio after Sunday’s loss to the Chargers ended their season with a 6-10 record, there was no rush of reports about candidates to replace him on the sideline.

The reason for that is because every indication under the sun is that Jon Gruden is returning to his former job just as soon as the Raiders figure out a way to satisfy the Rooney Rule by interviewing a minority candidate for the job. In comments to Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group, Gruden tried his best to make his getting the job seem like something other than a sure thing.

“My understanding is they’re interviewing candidates this week and they’re going to let everybody know sometime early next week or whenever they make their decision,” Gruden said. “Well, I think I am being considered, yes. I hope I’m a candidate.”

With no move to the Raiders yet official, Gruden will continue in his role as an ESPN analyst for Saturday’s Wild Card game between the Titans and Chiefs. While Gruden might be playing it coy, we’ll see how much those teams cooperate with Gruden given the belief that he’ll be competing with them in the near future.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/948315989975945216

DSkXdlHWsAE9HZc.jpg:large

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
those poor suffering fans. not sure what's worse, being abysmal or just stagnating at average with no hope of improvement.

IKR!! 15 years as HC, 7 playoff appearances, 0 playoff wins. How the hell do they give him an extension?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
IKR!! 15 years as HC, 7 playoff appearances, 0 playoff wins. How the hell do they give him an extension?

in a year with a lot of HC openings, and the Bengals not really being an ideal destination, they may have figured it could be tough to do much better what Lewis has given them year after year. I also feel they want Hue or Jay gruden and since neither were canned it made the decision easier

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
giphy.gif

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...in-interviews-wednesday-with-steve-spagnuolo/

Giants begin interviews Wednesday with Steve Spagnuolo
Posted by Charean Williams on January 2, 2018

The Giants begin their head coaching interview process Wednesday with interim head coach Steve Spagnuolo, Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports.

Eric Studesville, fired by the Broncos from his job as assistant head coach/running backs coach this week, interviews Thursday. The Giants have requested interviews with Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia and Steve Wilks, with McDaniels’ interview scheduled for Friday.

Spagnuolo, 58, has a relationship with new General Manager Dave Gettleman and a long history with the franchise. But he is considered a long shot for the full-time job.

Spagnuolo, the Giants’ defensive coordinator the past three seasons after serving in the same position in 2007-08, went 10-41 as head coach of the Rams from 2009-11.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Apparently if Gruden gets the Raiders gig he may target Greg Olson (Goff's QB coach) for a position on his staff.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apparently if Gruden gets the Raiders gig he may target Greg Olson (Goff's QB coach) for a position on his staff.

So long as it's a real promotion, that's cool. The Rams shouldn't allow a lateral move just as a QB coach, of course.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes because Carr's first year he was the Raiders OC and Derek Carr speaks very highly of him as the main factor for him succeeding.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-theres-a-good-chance-hell-coach-the-raiders/

Jon Gruden admits there’s a “good chance” he’ll coach the Raiders
Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2018

51536721-e1514990854422.jpg

Getty Images

The worst-kept secret in the NFL is being guarded even more recklessly.

Former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden said this morning on ESPN Radio that there’s a “good chance” he’ll be the next coach of the Raiders, and that he has had talks with owner Mark Davis about the job.

“They’re still, I believe, going through the interview process,” Gruden said, acknowledging indirectly the requirement that the Raiders interview at least one minority candidate before making it official. “When he knows, I think we’ll all know.”

Gruden also said there is “no truth . . . at all” and “no validity to that, none, zero” that he’ll reportedly get a piece of ownership of the team. That technically constitutes ESPN-on-ESPN crime, given that ESPN reported an ownership stake was in place.

Gruden also made it clear that he’s ready to return to coaching, explaining that “you miss the players, you miss the grind, you miss the journey.” He added that “[t]he peaks and valleys that go along with the football season are things that all coaches always miss when they get away from it.”

So he wants to come back, he intends to come back, and none of the other teams looking for coaches are pursuing him.

There’s not a “good chance” he’s coming back. There’s a “great chance.” And there’s a very real chance that the Chiefs or the Titans will be concerned about the future coach of the Raiders hanging out at practice and/or attending production meetings as he plans to jump back in to competing with both franchises directly.

Which is exactly how Al Davis would have wanted it.