NFL Black Monday Primer: Coaching hiring/firing discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-tells-vance-joseph-his-job-is-safe-for-2018/

John Elway tells Vance Joseph his job is safe for 2018
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 1, 2018

900140016-e1514827310992.jpg

Getty Images

Vance Joseph will not be one-and-done as the head coach of the Denver Broncos.

Broncos G.M. John Elway told Joseph that he is returning for the 2018 season.

“Vance and I had a great talk this morning about our plan to attack this offseason and get better as a team. We believe in Vance as our head coach. Together, we’ll put in the work to improve in all areas and win in 2018,” Elway wrote on Twitter.

Joseph appeared to be on the way out as the Broncos’ once-promising season went into a tailspin that ended with a 5-11 record. But as PFT reported early this morning, Elway began to have second thoughts about firing Joseph, and he ultimately decided to retain him for at least a second season.

Whether Joseph can win enough in his second season to stick around beyond 2018 will depend largely on whether the Broncos can finally find the right quarterback. So far, they haven’t. And that’s more on Elway than on Joseph. Elway is a Hall of Fame Broncos quarterback himself, but aside from luring Peyton Manning in free agency, his track record on acquiring quarterbacks for the Broncos has been poor. This year, both Joseph and Elway will come under heavy criticism if they cant get the offense moving.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-will-take-year-off-fine-if-texans-hire-a-gm/

Rick Smith will take year off, fine if Texans hire a G.M.
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 1, 2018

498289266-e1514828030877.jpg

Getty Images

Texans General Manager Rick Smith just told reporters that his situation was “fluid,” but the leave of absence he’s taking to help his wife as she goes through breast cancer treatments would keep him away from the job for at least a year.

Smith’s stepping away creates an interesting dynamic for the Texans, since tensions between him and coach Bill O’Brien appeared to be creating a one-or-the-other situation for owner Bob McNair.

But Smith said he understood if McNair wanted to hire a G.M. to cover the time he’s out.

“That’s not up to me, that’s up to Mr. McNair,” he said.

Smith also has a title of executive vice president, which he said he’d retain. He’s under contract through the 2020 season.

Smith’s wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in September, and he talked about what a trying year it had been for him from a personal standpoint, and the added pressure of his job made it that much more difficult for him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-line-coach-assistant-head-coach-ron-prince/

Lions fire offensive line coach/assistant head coach Ron Prince
Posted by Josh Alper on January 1, 2018

453717764-e1514828757354.jpg

Getty Images

Jim Caldwell wasn’t the only person to receive a pink slip from the Lions on Monday.

According to multiple reports, the team also fired offensive line coach/assistant head coach Ron Prince. Prince, who was Kansas State’s head coach from 2006-08, joined the Lions in 2014 and initially worked with tight ends before making the move to the offensive line the next year.

While there’s been talk of the Lions holding onto offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter after hiring Caldwell’s replacement, it’s no surprise that they’re interested in changing things up on the offensive line. The team brought in two new starters in free agency last year, but still allowed a franchise-record 47 sacks while fielding a rushing attack that ranked at the bottom of the league.

Fixing those issues will be a top priority for whoever gets the head coaching job and whoever they choose as Prince’s replacement on the offensive staff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hopefully Spags will fill the new HC vacancy in Arizona ;)

They are smarter than that unfortunately. Most likely an offensive coach Matt Nagy of the Chiefs is very possible or maybe Todd Haley.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He sure can. But the dude's got rocks in his head too, and that's a greater problem.

If I'm a GM with that list of castoff QBs from previous drafts for depth/competition options, Hackenberg is pretty low on that list.

First off with all due respect here, but Christian Hackenberg is crap, in fact, he's worst than crap, he is where flies go after they've been on crap all day.
LOL den...you so crazy...

Hackenberg>Mannion...that's all I'm gonna say. LOLOLOL
HOUSTON TEXANS

Bill O’Brien’s contract expires after 2018, and there are reports that he and GM Rick Smith are at odds. In a statement released Sunday, Smith said he is taking an extended leave of absence from the team while is wife is treated for cancer.

THE LATEST

Coach Bill O'Brien meets with ownership to discuss the future of the franchise tomorrow. If he is to stay, I'd expect a new personnel chief to come in. —Albert Breer

Simply, a reckoning is coming here. I’d be floored if O’Brien even considered signing an extension without changes to the way the football operation is aligned, and 2018 is a contract year for him. That would create a decision point for ownership—go forward for a year with a coach that would be the No. 1 guy on the market if free, or cut the cord now and move forward with GM Rick Smith. —Albert Breer

Blah...BOB is back though. I was in favor for a complete reset. Oh well.
What the hell did Bill O'Brien do? Man, his QB was injured....b4 that...they were rolling!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So many openings and just one of me. Maybe of you need someone to get you to 7-9, so I'm yur huckleberry....
~Jeff Fisher

CmUWVLq.gif

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
How many coaches did McVay get fired this year? The media thinks that he concocted a magical elixir (The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!) for coaching, and winning football.

I'm not saying he didn't.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

More like jumping ship LOL..........gettying the hell out of the steaming pile of shit that is the Gnats.

I hope they do hire him. He would help the Rams out a lot.

They are smarter than that unfortunately. Most likely an offensive coach Matt Nagy of the Chiefs is very possible or maybe Todd Haley.

Den I think that Haley burned some bridges out there in the desert..........I'm not sure ownership would want him back. He was Mr. Big Ego when Warner was carrying that team and I don't think that's been forgotten and Bidwell and that entire organization love Warner.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Whether Joseph can win enough in his second season to stick around beyond 2018 will depend largely on whether the Broncos can finally find the right quarterback. So far, they haven’t. And that’s more on Elway than on Joseph. Elway is a Hall of Fame Broncos quarterback himself, but aside from luring Peyton Manning in free agency, his track record on acquiring quarterbacks for the Broncos has been poor. This year, both Joseph and Elway will come under heavy criticism if they cant get the offense moving.

This is a big deal, and yes Elway got the Broncos into 2 SB's with Manning but other than that he's not accomplished much at all. Had he fired the HC he'd have to fire himself too, because he's done jackshit to get his job done on that side of the ball.

Now if he hit on Paxton Lynch I'll take it back........but a 6'7" QB that's pretty slow is going to take a beating.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Den I think that Haley burned some bridges out there in the desert..........I'm not sure ownership would want him back. He was Mr. Big Ego when Warner was carrying that team and I don't think that's been forgotten and Bidwell and that entire organization love Warner.

Seems like Haley has burned bridges throughout the NFL...He's overseeing a great offense under one of the more respected Head Coaches in the NFL a career Head Coaching Record of 19-26 (not as bad as some) and the guy cannot get a sniff for an interview? Not even an interview? Politics makes strange bedfellows.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Seems like Haley has burned bridges throughout the NFL...He's overseeing a great offense under one of the more respected Head Coaches in the NFL a career Head Coaching Record of 19-26 (not as bad as some) and the guy cannot get a sniff for an interview? Not even an interview? Politics makes strange bedfellows.

It's damned difficult to hire someone you dislike. That person has to be a superstar in order to get most of us to make that decision.

Anyway, I think a lot of teams are going to opt not to give HC's a second shot at it, or a third. It's just to rare that a guy goes from bad enough to get fired, once or twice, to good enough to win lots of games. It's happened, but it's rare. One is in your avatar..........we'd have to struggle to find another not named Belichick.

I think owners and GM's are going to be more likely to give "new guys" a shot versus recycling "old timers", especially with the success of our own guy. It's a copycat league right!

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
This should finally close the door on Gruden, now Ram fans owe John Gruden a huge thank you for recommending Sean McVay to Kevin Demoff, however, I feel Gruden enjoys being chased, he's not giving up his Madden Like gig on MNF, he'll be there until he retires.

Many openings and I'm with @CGI_Ram gland McVay is in place look for Todd Haley to get a gig that's for sure along with hoping to finally breaking New England's Coordinators. Patricia would be a great hire in Detroit, if they can keep Cooter and the Bengals going from Lewis to Paul Gunther seems like second verse, same as the first, but that's Mike Brown for you.

I don't see the Redskins making a change and the Chicago Bears will look for a young offensive coach to pair with Mitch Trubisky, this is where Matt LaFleur could get an interview as to Tampa Bay, if not Gruden, I don't believe they will fire Dirk Koetter because they might not have a plan B unless they like Todd Haley.

Coach, have you got a (crow) picked out, re: Jon Gruden, just in case? :cautious:

Q729

Legend
I wonder how many teams will jump on the "innovative young guy" bandwagon. I hope they all do it and discover our shit is a once in lifetime lightning in a bottle type thing.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
5a4aa4e2781f5306900294.gif

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lining-up-candidates-to-replace-bruce-arians/

Cardinals start lining up candidates to replace Bruce Arians

The Cardinals became the sixth team with a head coaching vacancy when Bruce Arians announced his retirement on Monday and a few of the names on their list of candidates to replace him have surfaced.

Those names will look familiar to those who have been paying attention to who the other five teams are considering for their openings. Those who haven’t can catch up on our tracker of coaching moves.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Cardinals have requested permission to interview Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia and Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz. Per multiple reports, they have also reached out to interview Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo.

Shurmur and Schwartz have both been head coaches in the past and Shurmur is on the Lions’ radar while Schwartz has been mentioned as a Giants candidate. DeFilippo is expected to interview with the Bears while Patricia is on the radar of several clubs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/01/brock-olivo-gets-pink-slip-in-denver/

Brock Olivo gets pink slip in Denver
Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2018

When Broncos coach Vance Joseph learned that he wouldn’t be one-and-done in Denver, his staff may have breathed a sigh of relief. Some of them shouldn’t have.

Special-team coordinator Brock Olivo has been fired, according to Mike Klis of KUSA. Olivo joins offensive coordinator Mike McCoy (who was fired during the season) and offensive line coach Jeff Davidson as former Broncos employees.

It was clear in November that Denver’s special teams weren’t, but Joseph gave Olivo a vote of confidence.

“I watch [Olivo] work every day and the mistakes that we’ve had, Brock’s responsible and I’m responsible, but he hasn’t muffed a punt,” Joseph said. “I’m not down on Brock. . . . Brock works hard, he’s a young coach and he’s a bright coach. He’s going to be a great coach in my opinion.”

Joseph either changed his mind or someone else changed it for him. Regardless, the Broncos will be making plenty of changes even though they aren’t changing coaches.

Ultimately, the goal will be to change the outcome in 2018. If they don’t, it will be the first time since 1971-72 that the Broncos posted back-to-back losing seasons.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/01/broncos-fire-ol-coach-jeff-davidson/

Broncos fire OL coach Jeff Davidson

The Broncos are keeping head coach Vance Joseph, but there will be changes to his staff.

According to multiple reports, the Broncos have fired offensive line coach Jeff Davidson.

Davidson joined the team in 2016 along with offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, who was fired in November amid an eight-game losing streak. Davidson also worked under McCoy in San Diego in 2016 and was McCoy’s boss when Davidson was the Panthers offensive coordinator a decade ago.

Although the Broncos did better running the ball than they did in 2016, those ties make it unsurprising that the Broncos would move forward with Bill Musgrave as offensive coordinator.

Alex Marvez of Sporting News reports that Sean Kugler is expected to interview for a position with the Broncos this week. Kugler stepped down as UTEP’s head coach during the 2017 season and was an offensive line coach for the Bills and Steelers before heading to El Paso.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Vance Joseph is safe.

There you have it, right from the horse faces mouth.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
How many coaches did McVay get fired this year?
I was wondering that myself.

It has to be a real mind-fuck for general managers and owners around the league to see what McVay has done.

They have to be thinking why can't we do that and of course the answer is, well, Jeff Fisher told us.