NFL Black Monday Primer: Coaching hiring/firing discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/28/nfl-coaches-black-monday-firings-hirings

NFL Black Monday Primer: Which Coaches Will Be Fired, and Who Will Fill The Vacancies
By ALBERT BREER

GETTY IMAGES (2)

Sixteen years later, Amy Trask still vividly remembers the moment she found out that the Jon Gruden Raiders-to-Buccaneers trade had been consummated.

Trask was the Oakland CEO at the time. And she was not pleased.

“My husband and I were coming in the house, it was 9, 9:30 at night,” Trask recalls now. “And the phone was ringing, my arms were full of things, and I remember picking up the phone and it’s Al (Davis). And I’m juggling things in my arms, and I’m so distracted and he says, ‘blah, blah, blah, trade.’ And I said to him, ‘Look, I’m gonna again ask you—please rethink this, I don’t think we should do this.’

“And his exact words were, ‘I don’t think you heard me. I just told you, I just did it.’”

That night, in early 2002, the Raiders sent Gruden to the Bucs for first-round and second-round picks in that April’s draft, a first-rounder in 2003 and a second-rounder in 2004. The Raiders wound up with corner Philip Buchanon, tackle Langston Walker, defensive end Taylor Brayton and center Jake Grove. Oakland made the Super Bowl that next season under Bill Callahan.

The Bucs, behind Gruden, beat the Raiders for the Lombardi. And because of that, history will tell you that Trask was right to tell Davis not to trade the coach, despite the tremendous haul coming back. So the question I had for Trask next was simple: Was there a point where she’d have signed off on dealing Gruden, something she’d been steadfastly against?

“Maybe,” she said. “I doubt it, but maybe.”

The coaching carousel is about to start spinning again, and we’re about to take you through all the rumors. But everything needs to be prefaced with the fact that, in this year’s market, supply is lagging behind demand. There have been 50 coaching changes in the past seven cycles, more than seven per year, and that’s dried out the pipeline. And with 8-10 openings expected this year, some teams may try to get creative.

So maybe the time has come to reprise the idea of coaches being traded. Texans coach Bill O’Brien is the most obvious candidate to be moved. But the idea of Browns coach Hue Jackson and Jets coach Todd Bowles going back to their old homes in Cincinnati and Arizona has been kicked around in league circles all fall, and those guys are under contract too. The wheels certainly are turning.

A trade is not the only way teams could think outside the box to find the right guy in January. Some might dip their toe in the college pool (Stanford’s David Shaw will get calls), others may look to position coaches (Philadelphia QB coach John DeFilippo) or special teams coaches (Kansas City’s Dave Toub), if they’re not satisfied with the class or can’t get one of its belles.

But we start with all the teams that could be active on Black Monday, and I’ll break this into three categories for everyone. Let’s go …

LIKELY/DONE

Chicago Bears: The writing has been on the wall here for a while. The expectation is that John Fox will be gone. What’s less certain is whether or not general manager Ryan Pace gets to pick the next coach, and whether or not the coaches pursued by the Bears dictate Pace’s fate.

Cincinnati Bengals: Marvin Lewis’ impending departure has been on the table from the moment he and the team decided not to do another one-year Band-Aid extension, which sent him into a contract year. Word is, the Bengals will lean towards coaches they know, which is why Jackson and Jay Gruden’s names have been mentioned, as have internal candidates Paul Guenther and Darrin Simmons.

Detroit Lions: With the Lions eliminated, I moved this one from the “maybe” pile, as rumblings have held for a few weeks that Jim Caldwell would be in trouble if he missed the playoffs. I’d expect Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia to be a consideration if Caldwell gets whacked, with the possibility that Jim Bob Cooter and the offensive staff stay.

Indianapolis Colts: Chuck Pagano kept his team competitive, and the front office respects the job he and staff have done. That said, GM Chris Ballard is almost certain to fire Pagano and hire his own guy. The attractiveness of the job Ballard will offer is, of course, tied to Andrew Luck’s health. Two of his ex-Chief co-workers, Toub and offensive coordinator Matt Nagy, have been connected to this one, and there are whispers that Indy could make a run at Pats offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

New York Giants: Much will depend on who the team hires as general manager, and many believe that Dave Gettleman will be involved in the remaking of the scouting operation, be it as the hire or in another senior role. While the attention has been on McDaniels, and a McDaniels/Nick Caserio package deal has been rumored to be a consideration, I’d expect both Patriot coordinators to be considered.

WE’LL SEE

• Arizona Cardinals:
Many have assumed that Bruce Arians will retire after this year. Is he having second thoughts? The Cardinals went through this last year—Sean McVay was atop their candidate list then—and are ready either way now. As we mentioned, the Jets could get a call on Bowles, and O’Brien might draw interest here too.

Denver Broncos: John Elway is not pleased with how the season’s gone, and the expectation is there will at least be changes to the offensive side of the staff. A bad loss at home to the Patrick Mahomes-led Chiefs could put Vance Joseph in peril. This one remains unpredictable.

Oakland Raiders: Jack Del Rio is under contract through 2020, and so a big question here is whether or not Mark Davis would be willing to eat three years on a contract. Assuming he’ll give Del Rio another year, there are problems on the staff that we’ll detail a little later in the column that should lead to a significant shakeup. Another thing to note here would be Davis’ long-standing fascination with Gruden.

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers: There’s been some level of expectation that Dirk Koetter will be a casualty of the Bucs’ hugely disappointing 2017 season, and we’ve seen several on-field signs (most recently, with Jameis Winston’s display last Sunday) that he’s lost some level of control over the team. You know where this goes next: All eyes on Gruden. And if they can’t get Gruden, does Koetter get a stay of execution?

• Tennessee Titans: If the Titans beat the Jags on Sunday, they’re in the playoffs. If they lose, there could be a coaching change. And if there is one, I’d bet McDaniels is in the mix to reunite with his ex-Patriot colleague Jon Robinson.

• Washington Redskins: A change here would require eating three years of Jay Gruden’s contract, and I don’t believe Dan Snyder would be pumped to write those checks. I also believe many in the building there think Jay Gruden had a strong four years. But it’s Washington … so you can’t rule anything out.

IT’S COMPLICATED

• Cleveland Browns:
Jimmy Haslam already said Hue Jackson will be back in 2018, and GM John Dorsey affirmed it upon his hiring. What if the Bengals call? Will 0-16 change anything? My belief is Jackson sticks, but I also know Dorsey’s done his research.

• Houston Texans: Simply, a reckoning is coming here. I’d be floored if O’Brien even considered signing an extension without changes to the way the football operation is aligned, and 2018 is a contract year for him. That would create a decision point for ownership—go forward for a year with a coach that would be the No. 1 guy on the market if free, or cut the cord now and move forward with GM Rick Smith.

• New York Jets: Acting owner Chris Johnson has proven to be very level-headed, and so I’d expect the little signs of encouragement that he’s gotten from the work of GM Mike Maccagnan and Bowles this fall would carry the current group through to 2018. But if Bowles has options, like Arizona, this could get interesting.

• Seattle Seahawks: Crazy? Maybe. But with the future of several big defensive stars in question, and a possible overhaul of the roster coming, could Pete Carroll, 66, retire to southern California? It’s not the wildest idea out there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If there is an illegal clone trade out their, McVay is going to clean up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Wow. Looking at that list, there are a lot of potential openings. I’m not sure if there are enough ready candidates.

Glad we don’t have that problem.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This should finally close the door on Gruden, now Ram fans owe John Gruden a huge thank you for recommending Sean McVay to Kevin Demoff, however, I feel Gruden enjoys being chased, he's not giving up his Madden Like gig on MNF, he'll be there until he retires.

Many openings and I'm with @CGI_Ram gland McVay is in place look for Todd Haley to get a gig that's for sure along with hoping to finally breaking New England's Coordinators. Patricia would be a great hire in Detroit, if they can keep Cooter and the Bengals going from Lewis to Paul Gunther seems like second verse, same as the first, but that's Mike Brown for you.

I don't see the Redskins making a change and the Chicago Bears will look for a young offensive coach to pair with Mitch Trubisky, this is where Matt LaFleur could get an interview as to Tampa Bay, if not Gruden, I don't believe they will fire Dirk Koetter because they might not have a plan B unless they like Todd Haley.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How the freak does Hue Jackson still have a job?

Hard to understand, Hue seems to have people convinced he has something to offer and in fairness some of the moves that were made or not made, he was against and I believe he wanted either Wentz or Watson otherwise I don't understand why Owner Jimmy Haslam would stand by his man.

BTW I always made fun of Bill Peterson, who the Houston Oilers hired in 1972 from Rice University and gave him a ten year contract at a million a year, which was unheard of at that time for a Head Football Coach...The Oilers went 1-18 under Peterson until he was dismissed after five games of the 1973 season...As the worst Head Coach in NFL history, well, Hue Jackson will be 1-31 in his two years in Cleveland Making Bill Peterson an after thought.

Below Oilers owner Bud Adams and New Head Coach Bill Peterson.
mAcINaS2xAi-jxiiPuWXDBg.jpg

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This might be a record year in firings.

Bears, Colts, Bengals, Lions, and Giants will all indeed have new coaches, as noted in the article. I also think Denver is a sure firing, as Joseph is in way over his head (thought he was a bad hire as well btw).

Same with Oakland, as Del Rio brings very little to the equation (he doesn't ensure a top defense and the offense has underperformed too).

Koetter lacks the leadership skills you want, dude doesn't translate well to players, his offense blows, and the Bucs are getting what they deserve for undercutting Lovie so quickly IMO.

I believe Arians and the Cards part ways due to pressure on Bruce to fire staff; IMO he's stubborn and loyal to his guys and given that and the QB situation will walk.

Titans have underperformed badly. I thought their firing of Whisenhunt was ill advised at the time, and what they have in Mularkey is a median performer who will never give them a special team. The Robinson connection to McDaniels is real, good chance we see a change there.

So I'm seeing 9 firings in the likely to good chance of happening range. Then there are the surprise type firings where there's usually one or two...

Texans have a power struggle brewing. I think Obrien will stay, but never know.

Chargers have a head coach in over his head. The owner is an idiot, however firing the coach might be the decision he makes given his unhappiness with everything surrounding his move to LA. Hiring a top name would be very wise for him to ensure he can keep pace with the Rams (who have a lot of key things in alignment for a nice window). So unlikely due to owner stupidity but possible.

Jets IMO should extend Bowles, who I have a lot of respect for, and focus on getting him better players. But they're a damn mess too so it's really hard to say which way they go. Could see them firing him.

It's possible we see more than ten firings this year, which is crazy.

Oh and btw every year the fortunes rise and fall in the league with the additions of quality coordinators who were axed as head coaches. This year will likely be one of the biggest in that way. Strong DCs like John Fox and Marvin Lewis, and a very good OC in Caldwell (Jimbo Fisher too if it's a house cleaning) should settle elsewhere immediately with big impact.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He could go 10-6 for the next 7 years and....

....Still have a losing record as HC.....

Next Year IMO, will be Hue's last....Bold prediction here, Next year Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson retires and they elevate Eli Wolf to General Manager and the Packers decide to part ways with Mike McCarthy (under contract through 2018) who is then reunited in Cleveland under his good friend John Dorsey and now has an opportunity to coach a young Sam Darnold.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Hard to understand, Hue seems to have people convinced and if fairness some of the move that were made or not made, he was against and I believe he wanted either Wentz or Watson otherwise I don't understand why Owner Jimmy Haslam would stand by his man.
Hue was overruled on a couple roster picks...which is why Sashi has already been fired....

It was actually smart to go 1-31 over the last 2 years...maximizing his picks...the roster needs a QB....probably a WR....depends on Gordon...and that fast guy from Baylor...need a 3rd down guy like Kupp. But tanking is a sound principle...no reason to go 8-8 and get an average pick...Browns own #1 and #4 at the moment....

Now if he goes 4-12, 5-11, or even 6-10....next year...he's outta there.

Hue's a pretty sharp offensive mind. He's remade that roster. If I were Hue...I'd get a new DC too.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hue's a pretty sharp offensive mind. He's remade that roster. If I were Hue...I'd get a new DC too.

I disagree there I guess I might be in the minority, but IMO, Gregg Williams is one of the better DC's in the NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next Year IMO, will be Hue's last....Bold prediction here, Next year Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson retires and they elevate Eli Wolf to General Manager and the Packers decide to part ways with Mike McCarthy (under contract through 2018) who is then reunited in Cleveland under his good friend John Dorsey and now has an opportunity to coach a young Sam Darnold.

Den be like...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I disagree there I guess I might be in the minority, but IMO, Gregg Williams is one of the better DC's in the NFL.
Bend but don't break won't work vs veteran QB's....You are basically HOPING they make a mistake....Brady, Rothlisburger, and probably Alex Smith...guys like that...will take apart loose zone defenses that over blitz.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aren't they in a great spot to make playoffs? Just missed them if not....had they found a "decent" kicker...they'd have 2 more wins for certain.

Look at that division Champ. The Chargers should have run away with it given the talent on that team.

Lynn needs to go. But again, I hope they don't do that, because they might luck out and get a good head coach in there.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bend but don't break won't work vs veteran QB's....You are basically HOPING they make a mistake....Brady, Rothlisburger, and probably Alex Smith...guys like that...will take apart loose zone defenses that over blitz.

Still like Williams I remember the days of Larry Marmie and how the defense played under Tim Walton before Fisher brought Williams back.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

I think they need to fire him whether decisions were made over his head or not. How can the players have any belief in a coach that has only won a single game in two years?

He is already the worst coach in NFL history and is leading a team toward tying for the worst record in history along with the the worst two season stretch in history. He has done nothing but magnify the Browns as being the mockery of the NFL. Even an average coach should be able to scheme his way to a couple wins a year with a weak roster.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

My darkhorse firing this season is actually Mike McCarthy. Some will say the Rodgers injury is enough to buy him another year, but this isnt the 1st time the team has looked down right terrible after Rodgers gets hurt, which IMO reflects badly on the HC. and its not like they have been real dominate lately with Rodgers healthy. I think change is coming, whether its this season or the next