NFL Black Monday Primer: Coaching hiring/firing discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My darkhorse firing this season is actually Mike McCarthy. Some will say the Rodgers injury is enough to buy him another year, but this isnt the 1st time the team has looked down right terrible after Rodgers gets hurt, which IMO reflects badly on the HC. and its not like they have been real dominate lately with Rodgers healthy. I think change is coming, whether its this season or the next

That would surprise me. McCarthy/Capers is as good an OC/DC duo as there are in the league, and are unpoachable given that nobody wants to hire Capers as their HC. What they need is an influx of some talent; they have a lot of needs and with lesser coaching would be a top five pick team.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
That would surprise me. McCarthy/Capers is as good an OC/DC duo as there are in the league, and are unpoachable given that nobody wants to hire Capers as their HC. What they need is an influx of some talent; they have a lot of needs and with lesser coaching would be a top five pick team.
Capers sucks. On one of the Packer forums I belong to there is a thread that's 129 pages long that goes back to Sept 2012. It's called "Fire Capers". Last post was an hour ago. As a Vikings fan I hope they keep Capers. But if the Packers want to win, he needs to go.

2013 Packer Defense was ranked 25th in Points per game and 24 in Yards per game.
2017 they are currently ranked 21st in points per game and 22 in yards per game.

They aren't getting any better, and it has more to do with the DC than the players.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They aren't getting any better, and it has more to do with the DC than the players.

Disagree. And the Packers faithful don't necessarily know wtf they're talkin about either tbh so I can care less what they say or claim.

Dom's a master of the zone blitz. They lack a lot of what they need to make that scheme sing. If anyone needs to go, it's Thompson, for letting their defense degrade to the point they make every opposing QB look like Joe Montana (99.7 passer rating against).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How depressing it looks for all of those teams. McVay is such a comfort to have under the Rams column. He is like having several #1 picks that were all homeruns.....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Look at that division Champ.
Chiefs are a damn fine team....reminds me of ....US....the loss of Eric Berry weakened a strong secondary....

Denver still has defensive pieces.....I kinda think they were tanking....just to drop enough...I bet they like Josh Allen.

Don't know what the hell happened to the Raiders...Loss of the OC??? Look what they did to Philly the other night...

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

They have/had, Jordy, Cobb, Adams, and numerous pro bowl lineman yet that offense is downright terrible without Rodgers. and even with Rodgers so often its him making plays that helps that offense go. I really dont think McCarthy is a great HC/OC/play caller and that they could really use some new coaching

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Chiefs are a damn fine team....reminds me of ....US....the loss of Eric Berry weakened a strong secondary....

Denver still has defensive pieces.....I kinda think they were tanking....just to drop enough...I bet they like Josh Allen.

Don't know what the hell happened to the Raiders...Loss of the OC??? Look what they did to Philly the other night...

Raiders had the easiest schedule in the league last year and carr played over his head. they came back to earth that's all.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
How depressing it looks for all of those teams. McVay is such a comfort to have under the Rams column. He is like having several #1 picks that were all homeruns.....

It's great to have the best HC, AND he's so young, aint it? Great time to be a Rams fan.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still like Williams I remember the days of Larry Marmie and how the defense played under Tim Walton before Fisher brought Williams back.
A dead corpse seems like a better DC option than Larry Marmie or Tim Walton.
:ROFLMAO:

Williams is overrated, IMO.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
. I think change is coming, whether its this season or the next

Concur just don't see it happening because of the injury and his contract has one more year, Thompson will be 65 next year and all seemed aligned for change next season, but I would not be shocked if the change happens sooner rather than later.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Disagree. And the Packers faithful don't necessarily know wtf they're talkin about either tbh so I can care less what they say or claim.

Dom's a master of the zone blitz. They lack a lot of what they need to make that scheme sing. If anyone needs to go, it's Thompson, for letting their defense degrade to the point they make every opposing QB look like Joe Montana (99.7 passer rating against).
Yeah, okay.
Packer defense with Capers first two year. 16.8 points per game.
Packer defense with Capers the last 7 years. 22.8 Points per game.

The year they won the SB it was 15 points per game.

Keep telling me he's a good DC. I do have one question. If he's so good, why hasn't anyone interviewed him for a HC job since he has been with the Packers?

BTW, most teams that give up 23 points per game are 8-8 teams. Only Rodgers makes them a 10-6 or 11-5 team.

Also, the league average for scoring since 1980 is 21.8 points per game. If you are giving up more than that you are most likely not winning. Teams that have double digit wins usually give up 18 points per game or less.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree there I guess I might be in the minority, but IMO, Gregg Williams is one of the better DC's in the NFL.
And their defense has been pretty solid for the most part especially when their offense can sustain drives

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just hope that these teams wait another year or two before they start coming after Matt LaFleur.

IMO, one more year, now the Bears scare me because I believe he will get an interview with them and if he does, you never know how the interview will go, but it's not easy to justify a hiring a young guy who has never been a Head Coach or has never called plays with the exception of 2007 at Ashland College, however, it has happened. Philadelphia hiring Andy Reid comes to mind.

James Otto

Starter
Yeah, okay.
Packer defense with Capers first two year. 16.8 points per game.
Packer defense with Capers the last 7 years. 22.8 Points per game.

The year they won the SB it was 15 points per game.

Keep telling me he's a good DC. I do have one question. If he's so good, why hasn't anyone interviewed him for a HC job since he has been with the Packers?

BTW, most teams that give up 23 points per game are 8-8 teams. Only Rodgers makes them a 10-6 or 11-5 team.

Also, the league average for scoring since 1980 is 21.8 points per game. If you are giving up more than that you are most likely not winning. Teams that have double digit wins usually give up 18 points per game or less.

LOL, only 3 teams in the league give up less than 18 PPG this year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
• Houston Texans: Simply, a reckoning is coming here. I’d be floored if O’Brien even considered signing an extension without changes to the way the football operation is aligned, and 2018 is a contract year for him. That would create a decision point for ownership—go forward for a year with a coach that would be the No. 1 guy on the market if free, or cut the cord now and move forward with GM Rick Smith.

What a shitstorm this turned out to be. BOB is a jerk. Rick Smith is a yes man. And Bob McNair pissed his entire team off.

And the sad part is the future is in the hands of said owner.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Hue was overruled on a couple roster picks...which is why Sashi has already been fired....

It was actually smart to go 1-31 over the last 2 years...maximizing his picks...the roster needs a QB....probably a WR....depends on Gordon...and that fast guy from Baylor...need a 3rd down guy like Kupp. But tanking is a sound principle...no reason to go 8-8 and get an average pick...Browns own #1 and #4 at the moment....

Now if he goes 4-12, 5-11, or even 6-10....next year...he's outta there.

Hue's a pretty sharp offensive mind. He's remade that roster. If I were Hue...I'd get a new DC too.

Ok, but Hue's gotta take a stand with his QB and stick with it.

He really jerked DeShone Kizer around this year. Only way to find out if Kizer's got the goods is to leave him in there, and don't be so quick with the hook when the kid struggles....and he's gonna struggle a bit at first.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

mccarthy had the best qb in the league for a decade and only got 1 superbowl out of him. criminal.

i would have sacked him after he let the seagulls beat his team in the nfc championship game a few years back. they had a huge lead and instead of stepping on their throat he went full spags and shackled rodgers the whole second half, thereby giving the seagulls hope and life. we all know how that ended.