New Ram Ramsey fully participates in Thursday’s practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
They have about $5M in cap space right now. That's enough to finish the season. What I'm talking about is being able to pay for extensions to key players like Fowler. The only two notable players needing extensions in 2020 are Fowler and Greg the leg. Brockers is over paid for his production and right now is a bad fit for this defense. Brockers would thrive in a standard 4-3 scheme as a 3T so there really isn't an optimal place to play him. Besides next year it will be Ogbo's position.

My point was to simply illustrate that the expiring contracts of players not likely to be resigned will allow plenty of cap room to make moves or offer extensions.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
They have about $5M in cap space right now. That's enough to finish the season. What I'm talking about is being able to pay for extensions to key players like Fowler. The only two notable players needing extensions in 2020 are Fowler and Greg the leg. Brockers is over paid for his production and right now is a bad fit for this defense. Brockers would thrive in a standard 4-3 scheme as a 3T so there really isn't an optimal place to play him. Besides next year it will be Ogbo's position.

My point was to simply illustrate that the expiring contracts of players not likely to be resigned will allow plenty of cap room to make moves or offer extensions.

Cory Littleton says, "Hi."

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
To be fair, he hasn't had the best coaching staff in Jacksonville. And also to be fair, he's just twenty-four. Most people - myself included - were immature in their early-to-mid twenties.
And that very well could be. I just think it was an incredibly big bet. And if you think he is worth two number ones you first ink him to an extension.

If the Rams extend him within the next month then I will assume they had a preliminary agreement. If extending him carries on into next off season then I will assume they made a cap mistake.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Love the moves today... first round picks are valuable, but we've done really well in our 3rd round and later picks... Ramsey obviously is the best CB right now... but getting Young is a solid move as well to reinforce our ILB spot...more athletic than Reeder and Hager, but still a thumper..

pretty sure this isn't the end of our dealings...not just for this season, but we have some O-line issues..and now with Ramsey..he's added to Fowler and Littleton in guys we need to re-sign..

might sound crazy, but I could see us potentially moving Brandin Cooks and/or Tyler Higbee.... they make a lot next year, and we have Reynolds and Everett .... moving them could get us a couple of picks, some cap space and help with the O-line..

Noteboom going down hurts this year, plus tearing both ACL and MCL means him moving to LT to replace a retired Whitworth next year isn't going to happen... ..

but Snead keeps making solid moves so I'm confident will work this out

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I doubt at the end of the season that any ram executive will be saying, oh shit we forgot about so and so"s contract. Now what do we do?

There is a long term plan which includes current players not being here next year. Just as we were never aware of the trades today, there will be even more moves during the off season so rather than worrying about how we'll pay for this player or who will replace that starter, I choose to have faith in the management that has gotten the team to this point when only 3 years ago we were perennial shit.

If we miss the playoffs this year and next then I'll bitch about it.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Let’s hope this means a philosophy change on D. No more soft cushions - no more let them have it underneath.

Get up in their face and make them beat you.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I had kinda forgot that CBs can hit!

Ramsey played corner and safety at Florida State. I'm not surprised he can hit; that's one of the reasons why I wanted him all these years ago.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Ramsey played corner and safety at Florida State. I'm not surprised he can hit; that's one of the reasons why I wanted him all these years ago.

It’s really refreshing after what we’ve been watching the last couple of years.

Heck just watching Hill stop that screen on the goal line had my head spinning last Sunday.

If this D comes alive like we are all thinking then its gonna take a hell of a lot of pressure off of the O.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
And that's why I think that Snead won the trade. Jacksonville was asking for a first and a good young player, and we bargained it for picks. Trading Njoku is absolutely STUPID of the Browns.

that seems like a lot for Trent Williams... and I agree, trading Njoku..AND a 1st for a guy Trent's age isn't very smart..

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I can't imagine Mcvay and Snead didn't have a little chat with Bortles about Ramsey's personality in the locker room.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I doubt at the end of the season that any ram executive will be saying, oh shit we forgot about so and so"s contract. Now what do we do?

There is a long term plan which includes current players not being here next year. Just as we were never aware of the trades today, there will be even more moves during the off season so rather than worrying about how we'll pay for this player or who will replace that starter, I choose to have faith in the management that have gotten the team to this point when only 3 years ago we were perennial shit.

If we miss the playoffs this year and next then I'll bitch about it.
You beat me to it. Why would anyone think Snead is done making moves? Plus, the cap should go up again.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The likely candidates who can be cut to save cap space would be;

Player/ cap savings
Weddle - 4.2M
Matthews - 3.7M
Robey-Coleman - 4.0M
Hill - 3M

That's close to $15M if all 4 players sre released or traded.

Only Hill and Coleman would be trade candidates since they are young. Might get a 6th for Hill maybe a 5th for Robey-Coleman.

Those are all HORRIBLE choices to be cut. Horrible.

Brockers and Fowler alone are $24M.

Also, our DL has been hampered BADLY by that soft hybrid zone scheme which was putting crazy pressure on everyone. All for Peters. The D will instantly be better if for no reason than a lot of the quick screens and easy passes due to off coverage will be reduced.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The likely candidates who can be cut to save cap space would be;

Player/ cap savings
Weddle - 4.2M
Matthews - 3.7M
Robey-Coleman - 4.0M
Hill - 3M

That's close to $15M if all 4 players sre released or traded.

Only Hill and Coleman would be trade candidates since they are young. Might get a 6th for Hill maybe a 5th for Robey-Coleman.

The Rams now have 41 players under contract for 2020 following todays trades, of those I see only Troy Hill, Tanzel Smart, Troy Reeder, Bobby Evans, Micah Kiser & Jamil Demby in immediate danger of losing their roster spots. A couple of these guys may make it to the practice squad, a few already on the practice squad may get a real roster spot, and they'll all be competing with more UDFA's from the 2020 class ... other than Hill, the CAP savings will be negligible. Lets say we carry 40 contracts over to 2020 while losing Hill, then re-sign our own UFA's Littleton, Zuerlein and bring back all 4 ERFA's John Kelly, Josh Carraway, Johnny Mundt, and Coleman Shelton, putting us to 46 signed 2020 contracts. We have 7 draft picks which will now bring us to our required roster total of 53.
If our 2020 available CAP is closer to the expected $35mil.+, signing Littleton, Zuerlein, our draft class and a quality free agent offensive lineman seems plenty affordable to me, without losing Weddle, Matthews & Robey-Coleman. The Rams will be in the Super Bowl hunt for 2020, we don't want to sacrifice these guys. jmo.

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Let’s hope this means a philosophy change on D. No more soft cushions - no more let them have it underneath.

Get up in their face and make them beat you.

Yeah Wade's play calling is at his best when his DBs can play man coverage without fans and coaches collectively clenching their rectums.