New Ram Ramsey fully participates in Thursday’s practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Will he even play this year without an extension? Wasn't that his gripe with the jags?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He hasn't been playing. Will he be playing this week and will he pull a muscle? Just saying, this might take a little longer than this week to get Ramsey up and going.

Pretty sure his "nagging injuries" were a function of how much he wanted out of Jville.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you are a player on the 2019 roster, do you have any doubt that your organization wants to win after the trades/moves today?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Nah. Talib is likely gone. He's been injured two years in a row and is not signed past this year. But this year we have $9M in Peters and $8M in Talib which is likely all or mostly going to go to Ramsey next year. And that doesn't include Brockers maybe not coming back.

We also might lose Fowler, but I hope not. That duo of Fowler and Matthews was starting to get going, but they struggled because we were in so much damned zone...

I believe Fowler would be a luxury re-sign when you have Matthews, Obo, Polite, Durham, Patrick, Ebukam & Lawler hanging about. I use the Fowler money for Brandon Scherff and bolster that struggling OL of ours. jmo.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

Will he even play this year without an extension? Wasn't that his gripe with the jags?

That was the pretext I think but most assumed that he just wanted a bigger stage than Jacksonville. Then there was the blowup with the DC. He just wanted out in the end.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I believe Fowler would be a luxury re-sign when you have Matthews, Obo, Polite, Durham, Patrick, Ebukam & Lawler hanging about. I use that Fowler money for Brandon Scherff and bolster that struggling OL of ours. jmo.

I'd go for that... and I'm clear that I really like Fowler

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was the pretext I think but most assumed that he just wanted a bigger stage than Jacksonville. Then there was the blowup with the DC. He just wanted out in the end.

We can only hope.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
You also have to factor in the cost of paying Ramsey compared to the draft picks. This year's 22 pick Dillard an OT got a $12.37 Million total contract. That's for 4 years plus the option year is available. So you get two players for less than what Ramsey will cost for a year. Ramsey is cheap for this year.

I didn't think the Rams would make the move for Ramsey. They were already top heavy cap-wise. Now, adding Ramsey's future contract averaging in the $16 Million annual range they will be even more top heavy with Goff, Donald, Gurley and Cooks deals. Too tired to look up exact amounts but, its a lot of money going out to five players.

I don't know if it worth the cost to make this trade. The Rams will still have a lot of holes moving forward. So far the risk/gamble to insert Noteboom and Allen in the offensive line has failed. Would the Rams have been better off saving the draft capital and money to fix multiple holes in the near future?

yes, the money is an issue.

chances are some of the high priced guys are gonna be moved. The key here is what is the master plan on how the Rams want to build this team.

on defense, they are planning on building around Donald and Ramsey. 2 elite talents.
On offense, I expect them to jettison some skill players.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
if a team can get a top 2 talent at one of the most important positions, in their prime, its easily worth 2 first round picks. How many ram 1st round picks over the last 20 years were close to being that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
if a team can get a top 2 talent at one of the most important positions, in their prime, its easily worth 2 first round picks. How may ram 1st round picks over the last 20 years were close to being that.

Actually not even his prime. Ramsey is all but twenty-four years of age. He'll get even better under Wade. And he's already the best cover corner in the league.

That's scary in a very good way.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler

chances are some of the high priced guys are gonna be moved. The key here is what is the master plan on how the Rams want to build this team.

on defense, they are planning on building around Donald and Ramsey. 2 elite talents.
If they are movable and if we need to eat salary and still take up cap space to move them. I don't see a huge market for Gurley or Cooks at their price tag. Do you?

Memento

Name
Jemma
If they are movable and if we need to eat salary and still take up cap space to move them. I don't see a huge market for Gurley or Cooks at their price tag. Do you?

Cooks is definitely a possibility. You'd be surprised by how many teams lack a decent wide receiver. Granted, it's a fucking amazing wideout draft class next year, but still.

Ram65

Legend

Reading the posts before these it would be a year or two before jettison offensive players makes sense cap wise. I'm not sure what the plan is or if there is one.

oldnotdead

Legend
They will extend Fowler and Greg the Leg, and Kupp etc etc. Guys like Talib, Peters, Whitworth, Blythe, and Brockers will clear a ton of cap space next year. Troy Hill and Roby-Coleman might also be on their way out. Nickell's undiscipline play is much like that of Peters and we saw how that was received.

$34M is tied up in Whitworth, Havenstein and Brockers. Add in Nickell, Hill, and Talib and that's another $16M. Those 6 guys will clear about $50M off the cap plus what remains this year and the increase next year. This is a young team overall.

They are managing the cap well IMO. Whitworth's contract alone will almost pay for Jalen's extension. Oh BTW I think DeSilva is wrong as usual. Ramsey is under contract through 2020 so his extension won't kick in until 2021.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Cooks is definitely a possibility. You'd be surprised by how many teams lack a decent wide receiver. Granted, it's a fucking amazing wideout draft class next year, but still.

I guess I would because I would be hard pressed to come up with teams where he is a clear cut #1. And I do not think he is one. He is good but not top salary worthy.

Memento

Name
Jemma
They will extend Fowler and Greg the Leg, and Kupp etc etc. Guys like Talib, Peters, Whitworth, Blythe, and Brockers will clear a ton of cap space next year. Troy Hill and Roby-Coleman might also be on their way out. Nickell's undiscipline play is much like that of Peters and we saw how that was received.

$34M is tied up in Whitworth, Havenstein and Brockers. Add in Nickell, Hill, and Talib and that's another $16M. Those 6 guys will clear about $50M off the cap plus what remains this year and the increase next year. This is a young team overall.

They are managing the cap well IMO. Whitworth's contract alone will almost pay for Jalen's extension. Oh BTW I think DeSilva is wrong as usual. Ramsey is under contract through 2020 so his extension won't kick in until 2021.

I doubt that they extend Fowler with all of the young edge rushers we have, as well as Matthews. Littleton is much more likely.

I agree on the rest.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You sure it's fifty-four? We traded for Ramsey, Corbett, and Young, while giving up Peters. By my count, that's fifty-five.

That's another option, true. Smart hasn't done much, and with Corbett in the fold, maybe Demby is expendable. Reeder is still a solid special teams player, so I don't want to cut him just yet, but it's definitely a possibility.
We also put Noteboom on IR. Spotrac tracks us with 54 on active.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I guess I would because I would be hard pressed to come up with teams where he is a clear cut #1. And I do not think he is one. He is good but not top salary worthy.

Jets, Dolphins, Bengals, Giants, Titans, etc.

Even if he's not a number one, he'd easily be the second best on other teams like the Colts.

Cooks could easily fetch two picks for the right team.