New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll stick with, until this thing comes to a conclusion... no one knows what Kroenke's intentions are.

Why? Pretty easy, really... because he hasn't said one word.

Actions?
Let's recap:
* Kroneke and Stockbridge bought some land in Inglewood
* It's been reported that all of the financing will be private (private financing, no details)
* They've met with the NFL (no details)
* Some dirt has been pushed around.

No words, scant disclosure.... but we're to somehow know what Kroenke's motives are?

Tell you one thing... IF he's played the Inglewood deal to figure out an acceptable plan for St. Louis (and Inglewood turns out to be a development), it will be a real bomb shell.

MrMotes

Starter
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/03/23/Facilities/LA-NFL.aspx

Ahead Of Presentation To Owners, Kroenke Shares Inglewood NFL Stadium Renderings

Published March 23, 2015

Font Size Resize SmallResize NormalResize Large | Print | Share |

08B3B0A41F3343BF814C5AD7DB4C7B68.ashx

HKS estimates that the Inglewood stadium would take less than three years to build

Rams Owner Stan Kroenke's latest HKS-designed renderings for a new NFL stadium in Inglewood "show a light metallic, wave-shaped structure featuring a roof that encompasses the stadium and a surrounding plaza, providing weather protection but remaining open on the sides," according to Sam Farmer of the L.A. TIMES. The stadium, which "could host big indoor events such as a college basketball Final Four," would have a roof with "metal borders, but the area over the playing field is made of a transparent material called ETFE, which is as clear as a car windshield and strong enough to support the weight of a vehicle." A stadium covering also "gives Kroenke the ability to create the world's biggest billboard, one visible to the more than 35 million travelers who fly into and out of L.A. each year." The plan "is two-team compliant, which means it has two home locker rooms, identical sets of office space, and two owners' suites." The design also "allows for breezes to flow through the building, enhancing the outdoor feel." While the roof "would be 275 feet above the playing field, the building would be set into the ground, giving it an above-ground profile of 175 feet, considerably lower than most enclosed stadiums." The venue "conforms to the height restrictions imposed on buildings within close proximity" to L.A. Int'l Airport. HKS estimates that the project "would take less than three years to build, and the first round of construction permits could be obtained by December." Any team relocating "probably would play at the Coliseum or Rose Bowl during the building process." It is "widely believed Kroenke does not want to share the market with another NFL team right away" (L.A. TIMES, 3/22).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I asked for a source because I know there isn't one... but, it's being suggested that this "non-information" makes Kroenke's motives clear? Not to me... when nothing comes out of a confidential meeting, I don't feel any more informed.

I guess if you don't need to "sell" someting, it's fine to just say nothing... I guess that's their right if, like you say, everything's in place.

Just seems like bad public relations. You seem perfectly fine with getting no updates... but I'd figure a lot of possible fans in L.A. would like to hear from people actually involved in the project...

Crazy concept, I know... transparency.

They've told everybody everything there is to know about the project! I know it's crazy to be that transparent. Because he's not out recapping what we already know weekly you think he's hiding something?

This just in! Stan will be holding weekly press conferences to point out to the NFL, the other cities and the fans how much better he is at this type of business than everybody else trying to do it! /end sarcasm font

I almost wish he did that so people would quit grasping at straws.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/03/23/Facilities/LA-NFL.aspx

Ahead Of Presentation To Owners, Kroenke Shares Inglewood NFL Stadium Renderings

Published March 23, 2015

Font Size Resize SmallResize NormalResize Large | Print | Share |

08B3B0A41F3343BF814C5AD7DB4C7B68.ashx

HKS estimates that the Inglewood stadium would take less than three years to build

Rams Owner Stan Kroenke's latest HKS-designed renderings for a new NFL stadium in Inglewood "show a light metallic, wave-shaped structure featuring a roof that encompasses the stadium and a surrounding plaza, providing weather protection but remaining open on the sides," according to Sam Farmer of the L.A. TIMES. The stadium, which "could host big indoor events such as a college basketball Final Four," would have a roof with "metal borders, but the area over the playing field is made of a transparent material called ETFE, which is as clear as a car windshield and strong enough to support the weight of a vehicle." A stadium covering also "gives Kroenke the ability to create the world's biggest billboard, one visible to the more than 35 million travelers who fly into and out of L.A. each year." The plan "is two-team compliant, which means it has two home locker rooms, identical sets of office space, and two owners' suites." The design also "allows for breezes to flow through the building, enhancing the outdoor feel." While the roof "would be 275 feet above the playing field, the building would be set into the ground, giving it an above-ground profile of 175 feet, considerably lower than most enclosed stadiums." The venue "conforms to the height restrictions imposed on buildings within close proximity" to L.A. Int'l Airport. HKS estimates that the project "would take less than three years to build, and the first round of construction permits could be obtained by December." Any team relocating "probably would play at the Coliseum or Rose Bowl during the building process." It is "widely believed Kroenke does not want to share the market with another NFL team right away" (L.A. TIMES, 3/22).
So odd... articles like this make you feel like Kroenke was actually there... that he actually emitted words...

But, alas, neither actually happened.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So odd... articles like this make you feel like Kroenke was actually there... that he actually emitted words...

Which you know because you were there right? So much for sticking with what you know. Looks like you've reverted to speculation and innuendo.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They've told everybody everything there is to know about the project! I know it's crazy to be that transparent. Because he's not out recapping what we already know weekly you think he's hiding something?

This just in! Stan will be holding weekly press conferences to point out to the NFL, the other cities and the fans how much better he is at this type of business than everybody else trying to do it! /end sarcasm font

I almost wish he did that so people would quit grasping at straws.
No grasping at straws... just actual facts.

Kroenke hasn't said one word about the Inglewood project... not one.

And, unless he's lost the ability to speak, he could.

I find that less than transparent.

I'm not a fan of that behavior, but some may be.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Can you provide any details on what was said?

Of course:

Stan: I want to build a stadium in Inglewood.
NFL: We know that Stan
Stan: I would like my team in that stadium
NFL: We figured that Stan
Stan: I'm putting quite a bit of jack into that venue
Demoff: He sure is
NFL: We know that Gentlemen.

Now Stan did say his team was the "Rams.";)

MrMotes

Starter
Which you know because you were there right? So much for sticking with what you know. Looks like you've reverted to speculation and innuendo.

Even Dave Peacock has said Kroenke wants to move the Rams to L.A.

And what if Kroenke did come out and state his intentions publicly? Well it wouldn't be the first time a businessman lied in a negotiation.

Actions always speak louder than words...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Can you provide any details on what was said?

I haven't seen one real bit of information as I believe they are confidential to only the parties involved.

OTOH, in additon to those confidential sessions, Peacock and company have kept the community apprised of what they are doing.

I'm not seeing anything remotely similar coming from anyone on the Inglewood project.

No, I'd have to disagree... they may be "saying things", but they're not saying a word to the public... no, they are keeping them very much in the dark.
And all that means what exactly? That Peacock/Blitz are professionals and Stan hasn't proven it by running his jaws to the public? You're reaching with that logic.

It's a little disingenuous to ask if someone knows what was said in a private meeting as if to say that because they don't know what was said, they can't prove there was a meeting on the Inglewood stadium. It was widely published that the meeting took place and we all know about it. What's your point with that?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am just breathless reading a position that doubts what Kroenke's intentions are about Inglewood and the Rams. At this point, it definately is grasping at straws to think this is just some crazy ploy to get a better deal in St Louis...C'mon ..

BNpewnQ.jpg

iced

Click the link for a Video of an interview with Mark Davis, 6 minutes long.

Haven't read it yet - watching the interview with Mark Davis, these guys are grillin' em good.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/five-truths-why-raiders-will-move-los-angeles

Five truths: Why Raiders will move to Los Angeles

ratto.png

So Oakland has been given the supersecret financing plan for a Raiders’ stadium, and is keeping it supersecret.

Now what could possibly be weaselly about that?

Floyd Kephart, the San Diego-based businessman who has created the report as part of an array of proposals, is bound by a confidentiality agreement (of course) that prevents the issue to be placed with greater clarity before the people who would have to pay for the damned thing.

You know. Us.

[NEWS: Financial plan for Raiders stadium given to Oakland officials]

Now Kephart still has until Aug. 21 to present a final proposal, which has apocalyptically been described by both city officials and raiders owner Mark Davis as a potential make-or-break development in the last-ditch retention of the Raiders. But that proposal, like any proposal, has the problems of (a) explaining where a tapped-out city comes up with $400 million atop the $100 million it still owes on the last stadium boondoggle, and (b) getting Davis to admit that he doesn’t want to be in Oakland anyway but is going through this charade to deflect blame for the eventual departure.

In other words, this is all just chin music to make sure that the abuse ends up at the door of Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, who has only inherited the mess that began when the Raiders came back in 1995 -- when she was still plowing through Loyola Law School.

But the idea that even a preliminary report that relates to taxpayer money can be kept secret ought to offend everyone, because secrecy is not only the enemy of democracy, but given the figures involved, an insult to logic.

There is, frankly, no reason to think that anyone involved in this knows what the hell he or she is doing, at least not with any degree of certainty. The crush of timing, the logical result of kicking the can down the road until you run out of road, has finally inundated everyone, and people in a hurry make mistakes -- mistakes that, when they involve taxpayer money, need to be made public so that repairs can be made quickly.

And that’s a pipe dream anyway, but the effort must still be made.

The real truths, though, are these, and Floyd Kephart cannot write these away in any report, secret or otherwise.

1. The Raiders are worth more in Los Angeles than in Oakland. By a lot.

2. Oakland has little in the way of incentives to keep the Raiders against Mark Davis’ financial benefit save guilt over the crimes of previous administrations, including the Al Administration (124-196 over the 20 years since their return, 56-136 since the last playoff appearance).

3. The San Diego Chargers are gung-ho for going to Carson, and their plan hinges on the Raiders going with them. Davis has to live with his fellow NFL owners a lot longer than he has to live with Oakland, and betraying a partner is the kind of sin that rich folks do not easily forgive.

4. The NFL office wants the problem of Los Angeles solved, and it wants the problem of the liquidity-poor Raiders solved. The Raiders’ situation, in fact, is far more worrisome than the problems in San Diego or St. Louis because those cities are further along in their likely-doomed plans to build new stadia than Oakland.

5. Roger Goodell is not David Stern, Oakland is not Sacramento, the Raiders are not the Kings, and Libby Schaaf is not Kevin Johnson -- though in some ways, not being Kevin Johnson is a positive boon.

You’ll notice we didn’t make much of the A’s objections to the Raiders’ plan, such as it is. Johnny Fisher and Lew Wolff have rarely been in a position of leverage in this real estate kabuki, and the sooner the Raiders are abandoned, the sooner the A’s can start dictating to Oakland in earnest. But these flirtations with the Raiders are vexing because they alter the balance of power yet again, and the idiotic Oakland political strategy of playing one team against the other has more than run its course. That may not have dawned on the genii who run Oakland, but the bill for this sleazy yet impotent gamesmanship is coming due, and there’s no escaping it.

No, this is about secrecy, and the illusion that somehow releasing a report will change the real equation of the Raiders in Oakland. What it does, though, is allow for the possibility that the city could try to end-run the process entirely and prevent the empty-gesture voting to the city council rather than the electorate at large. That would be okay if the members of the city council were covering the whole $400M nut, but of course they are not.

So we can dismiss the value of any report that nobody can see, because the end game still puts the Raiders in Los Angeles. If the report has some other scenario that isn’t made of bubbles and clouds, it must be made public if only to show people that fiction writing is not yet dead.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course, I'm speculating... we all are. Because? Kroenke hasn't said a word. Now, that's a fact.

Not sure what you're saying... I'm saying it's clear it was not an interview. So, this is one guy's take on the stadium and is making it sound like the words are coming out of Kroenke's mouth.

Of course, they aren't (coming out of his mouth).

He hasn't said a word in years.

iced

Wow, thats a helluva statement Mark Davis makes and sounds sincere about (Starts at 4:50)

Reporter states the Niners still left the door open for Levi stadium, and asks why the Raiders hadn't pursued that.

Davis: "I think that's something that, what makes Carson, with what the Raiders and the Chargers doing...there's not gonna be a #1 team and a #2 team in that stadium, there's going to be two #1 teams. If in fact thats how it happens. We're designing it together, we're making all the decisions together.. It'll be for both teams. San Fransico did a phenominal job of getting something together, On Their Own, to finance the stadium and get it built...But uhh..its...Not a Raider type of area. It's just not gonna work for the Raiders. (going back to original question)"

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Crazy concept, I know... transparency.
So talking = transparency. Got it. I'll remember that next time I see someone step up to a microphone.

No words, scant disclosure.... but we're to somehow know what Kroenke's motives are?
Your whole line of reasoning here just smacks of trying to antagonize some of the members here. Just sayin'

So..... let's see.... You come up with an argument and the your retorts are based around members not knowing for sure what they are talking about... then this? Well that doesn't seem hypocritical at all.

Wrong side of the bed this morning?

Ray Ratto - the bay area version of Bernie. Actually this dude is even more snarky and thinks himself quite the edgy comic relief. If I recall right, he too has been black listed by the team he is supposed to report on. Oh well, at least he still has his favorite Whiners to brown nose.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And all that means what exactly? That Peacock/Blitz are professionals and Stan hasn't proven it by running his jaws to the public? You're reaching with that logic.

It's a little disingenuous to ask if someone knows what was said in a private meeting as if to say that because they don't know what was said, they can't prove there was a meeting on the Inglewood stadium. It was widely published that the meeting took place and we all know about it. What's your point with that?
I understand that this is considered being a quack, but my point is - no one really knows what Kroenke's end game is.

No, I wasn't trying to say he's unprofessional... just that he's not tranparent - therefore, we really don't know.

It was a rhetorical question regarding what was said during those meetings... of course, no one knows.... which goes bBack to my point.

And I never disputed the meetings took place... of course they did.

I'll just go down as being a quack on this... onto page 474!

iced

Ray Ratto - the bay area version of Bernie. Actually this dude is even more snarky and thinks himself quite the edgy comic relief. If I recall right, he too has been black listed by the team he is supposed to report on. Oh well, at least he still has his favorite Whiners to brown nose.

yea the only thing i took out of that article was the video of mark - you can tell he wants to stay in oakland but carson is very real and obviously his preferred option as an owner

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Click the link for a Video of an interview with Mark Davis, 6 minutes long.

Haven't read it yet - watching the interview with Mark Davis, these guys are grillin' em good.

That's the video from the owners meetings. I didn't see all the questions from the first guy originally but the reporter seemed kind of confused. Davis maybe not the typical owner but I am starting to really like the way he has handle his home market.

iced

That's the video from the owners meetings. I didn't see all the questions from the first guy originally but the reporter seemed kind of confused. Davis maybe not the typical owner but I am starting to really like the way he has handle his home market.

ah k - hadn't seen that one, yea starting to kind of like him as an owner...as opposed to like a dan snyder

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Wow, thats a helluva statement Mark Davis makes and sounds sincere about (Starts at 4:50)

Reporter states the Niners still left the door open for Levi stadium, and asks why the Raiders hadn't pursued that.

Davis: "I think that's something that, what makes Carson, with what the Raiders and the Chargers doing...there's not gonna be a #1 team and a #2 team in that stadium, there's going to be two #1 teams. If in fact thats how it happens. We're designing it together, we're making all the decisions together.. It'll be for both teams. San Fransico did a phenominal job of getting something together, On Their Own, to finance the stadium and get it built...But uhh..its...Not a Raider type of area. It's just not gonna work for the Raiders. (going back to original question)"

The question no one has asked is that if the Raiders would play there temporarily until a stadium is built. In Roggin's interview with Grubman, the question came to Levi and Fred asked what about Levi for the Raiders and Grubman responded temporarily or long term, Fred said long term.

bluecoconuts

Legend
No grasping at straws... just actual facts.

Kroenke hasn't said one word about the Inglewood project... not one.

And, unless he's lost the ability to speak, he could.

I find that less than transparent.

I'm not a fan of that behavior, but some may be.

A few weeks ago the architects responsible for the stadium (who have built several other NFL stadiums, including the new Vikings stadium, and Colts stadium) briefed the city of Inglewood with a slightly watered down version that they pitched to the NFL, giving lots of detail on the project. The public seem to be well informed on the project.

Kroenke himself hasn't been giving these pitches to the public (but he has to the NFL) but that's kind of his style...

Status
Not open for further replies.