New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Stadium task force started work a year ago, quietly

By David Hunn

ST. LOUIS •
Three civic leaders began planning for a new football stadium months before Gov. Jay Nixon announced his two-man task force.
Retired Anheuser-Busch President Dave Peacock, outgoing mayoral Chief of Staff Jeff Rainford and downtown business association President Doug Woodruff were quietly, privately emailing and meeting by at least July of last year, according to records obtained by the Post-Dispatch.

“Think about how we create an entity that can ‘represent’ the region with the Rams, make proposals and avoid the Sunshine Laws until such a time that we’re far enough along to have a real idea to share publicly,” Peacock wrote to Rainford and Woodruff on July 24.

The governor needs to “be seen as initiating this or at least endorsing it,” Peacock continued. Moreover, he said, the governor and city’s mayor need a “scapegoat if we fail.”

“I’m fine being the guy either way,” Peacock wrote. “I have nothing to lose like others. I’d deflect everything from public entities and just take the blame.”

Three months later, on Nov. 5, Nixon announced that he was appointing Peacock and Edward Jones Dome attorney Bob Blitz to a task force meant to keep the National Football League in St. Louis.

The emails focus largely on administrative tasks — planning meetings, discussing organizational options, sharing contacts. But they reveal, for the first time publicly, when civic leaders began planning their fight to keep the St. Louis Rams, how they chose the north riverfront site, and who was driving the effort. At one point, it even included former Missouri Speaker of the House John Diehl.

Peacock, Rainford and Woodruff all acknowledged on Wednesday that they had been meeting and talking well before Nixon was involved.

“What sneaking behind people’s backs did we do?” Rainford said on Wednesday.

“We started thinking about it. We didn’t spend money. We didn’t commit to anything, Rainford said. “That’s what you do when you’re prudent. That’s what you do when you’re doing your job well. You think ahead.”

Rainford said he and Mayor Francis Slay began talking to Peacock in 2012, soon after he left Anheuser-Busch. They figured Peacock would be perfect to work on such a project, said Rainford, who has since left his city job and is now consulting for Woodruff’s agency, Downtown STL.

Peacock had run a major company, had NFL connections, and, suddenly, had time.

That year, the city was negotiating with the Rams on lease-required upgrades to the Jones Dome, where the Rams play. The St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission had recommended $124 million in renovations; the Rams asked for upgrades the city estimated at about $700 million. The case was slated to go to arbitration in 2013.

“Just in case we lose,” Rainford recalled asking Peacock, “could you start thinking about a Plan B? If we didn’t get moving, the bus was going to leave without us,” he said.

By the middle of 2014, Woodruff had been hired by Downtown STL and the three were communicating regularly, Rainford said.

City records track some of that communication. The documents, nearly all emails, were requested through Missouri public records laws by John Ammann, a professor and attorney at the St. Louis University legal clinic, who is working with students and residents on various stadium issues. Ammann shared the records with the Post-Dispatch.

One of the earliest emails is dated July 7, 2014. In it, Rainford asks Peacock and Woodruff about professional soccer. “I do know deep pockets,” Peacock replied, “and either custom or new stadium will be needed. Still think the Rams situation provides an opportunity to solve football and soccer …”

A few weeks later, Woodruff emails Diehl, the former House speaker, at his Armstrong Teasdale law firm. “Can you join Jeff, Dave and me at a meeting Tuesday at 10:00 to talk about the Stadium. There’s some urgency in light of a conversation Dave had with the NFL,” Woodruff wrote. “We’re meeting at the Four Seasons to be able to look over the site.”

That email identifies the riverfront site — just north of the Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis at Lumière Place — three months before Nixon announced the task force, and five months before Peacock and Blitz revealed stadium drawings at a Union Station press conference.

Woodruff said on Wednesday that the group was once considering four sites: the old Chrysler plant in Fenton, Paul McKee’s NorthPark, the south riverfront, and the spot north of Lumière.

“There was no big vote, there was no polling or anything else. It quickly became a matter of — it met more of the priorities we needed to get things going quickly,” Woodruff said. “And quite frankly everyone concurred that the best place was for it to be in or near downtown.

“The north riverfront of downtown needs to be redeveloped,” he continued. “North of Lumière is desolate. That’s terrible for a city that rests on one of the world’s great rivers.”

Near the end of July, last summer, Woodruff sent Peacock and Rainford a draft “predevelopment plan,” listing more than a dozen steps toward stadium development. He argued for the creation of a nonprofit to spearhead the work. And, he identifies a chief: “Dave Peacock should lead,” the predevelopment plan says.

Nixon was at first slow to engage, the emails say.

But Rainford and Mary Ellen Ponder, Slay’s current chief of staff, both said Wednesday that he has since played a key role.

“In order for us to be taken seriously, we had to have the state take the lead, and for the state to take the lead, we had to have the governor take the lead,” Ponder said. The city, alone, she said, “wouldn’t be a credible proposal.”

Rainford said the real action started when Nixon appointed the task force.

Peacock said the early work was essential; that the task force would be in trouble now without it. “Would we be too far behind to catch up?” he asked.

“I don’t know.”
God love Peacock and the other St Louis businessmen that had the forethought and wherewithal to plan ahead and get this project going. They have done such a fantastic job on a project that is not easy to pull off and they are getting close to pulling it off. The river front stadium is going to be huge for St Louis and even better when they bring in an MLS team.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Policy tells one guy he missed his flight then tells somebody else he didn't show because of Roggin. Policy is lying to the people? Say it aint so Joe!
St. Louis Team (Peacock, Blitz, Nixon, etc.): Professionals
Carson Team (Policy, Spanos, Davis, Robles, Fabiani, etc.): Buffoons
Inglewood Team (Kroenke, Stockbridge Capital, etc.): ???????

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
St. Louis Team (Peacock, Blitz, Nixon, etc.): Professionals
Carson Team (Policy, Spanos, Davis, Robles, Fabiani, etc.): Buffoons
Inglewood Team (Kroenke, Stockbridge Capital, etc.): ???????

Pretty obvious answer to the ??? Not sure why you felt the need to do that.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty obvious answer to the ??? Not sure why you felt the need to do that.
I'm not sure how you could say anything is obvious.

How can you say obvious, when nothing's been said?

It just struck me as I read about how poorly the Carson team is communicatng with their local markets... how well the St. Louis team is communicating with their local markets... and then? Nothing from Kroenke (as usual).

No transparency. Just struck me as worth bringing up.

What have you read or heard from Kroenke or Stockbridge in months?

Nothing. Nothing from Kroenke and, IIRC, Stockbridge only issued a statement when the thing began. Not a peep out of them since.
I am not seeing much at all, except what the local columnists are "reporting".

Meanwhile, Peacock and associates have been very communicative with the local market/population... very transparent.

Carson? Just buffoons...

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip

It just struck me as I read about how poorly the Carson team is communicatng with their local markets... how well the St. Louis team is communicating with their local markets... and then? Nothing from Kroenke (as usual).

Nothing. Nothing from Kroenke and, IIRC, Stockbridge only issued a statement when the thing began. Not a peep out of them since.

Meanwhile, Peacock and associates have been very communicative with the local market/population... very transparent.

Carson? Just buffoons...

It's A Lot Better To Be Seen Than Heard.

Kroenke doesn't need to prove to the public what his intentions are or that the project is real which Carson does.

St Louis is different. They need to keep the public informed to keep everyone focused on the goal and the supporters encouraged.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kroenke doesn't need to prove to the public what his intentions are or that the project is real which Carson does.

St Louis is different. They need to keep the public informed to keep everyone focused on the goal and the supporters encouraged.
The thing is... no one knows what Kroenke intends to do.

He bought some land, got some approvals and moved some dirt.

Since the initial "drawings", no real information coming from him that the STADIUM is moving forward.

For all we know, it's just a very large commercial/residential development.

Meanwhile, there's no question as to what's being worked on (on a continual basis) in St. Louis.

Again, transparency (whether they "need" to or not).

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
In other news the STL vs. CVC hearing starts today. Arguments will be made. I've talked to Marxist over on the PD board, he'll be attending. If he doesn't post over here what the outcome is, I'll copy and paste it from there.

MrMotes

Starter

Kroenke and Demoff updated the NFL in person on the Inglewood project just a couple weeks ago. They're saying plenty...

MrMotes

Starter
The thing is... no one knows what Kroenke intends to do.

I'm sure the NFL does, Kroenke and Demoff have been pitching their Inglewood stadium project to the NFL in person. Actions speak louder than words.

"We all know what Stan wants to do. What he wants to do is not return to St. Louis. ..." - Jim Thomas

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Carson? Just buffoons...

What is left to be communicated? They have done everything straight up and been transparent with the project. There's been no communications in months because they are months ahead of all the other projects. There is no issues with land purchases and that's been communicated. There are no issues with permits and deals with construction unions as that's been dealt with and announced. The EPA has signed off and that has been announced. Financing is 100% private and that has been announced. This has all been shown to the local community and the nation.

There hasn't been any changes or problems with their plans so no need to hold a press conference. What should they do have a press conference where they point out the problems the other stadiums are having? Point out the EPA issues, the land ouch awe and sale issues? The lawsuits other stadiums are having? Point out all these things and laugh and say yeah we are better than them cause we don't have those issues?

The only thing they've said since the early stages is the stadium is being built to accommodate two teams. There is no reason for a press conference because they've handled this from day one in a manner that the other stadiums wish they could've.

Your complaints about this come down to you being upset the Rams MIGHT move and you're mad at Stan. There is no basis for complaining about the Inglewood stadium and how it's progressed.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kroenke and Demoff updated the NFL in person on the Inglewood project just a couple weeks ago. They're saying plenty...
Can you provide any details on what was said?

I haven't seen one real bit of information as I believe they are confidential to only the parties involved.

OTOH, in additon to those confidential sessions, Peacock and company have kept the community apprised of what they are doing.

I'm not seeing anything remotely similar coming from anyone on the Inglewood project.

No, I'd have to disagree... they may be "saying things", but they're not saying a word to the public... no, they are keeping them very much in the dark.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure the NFL does, Kroenke and Demoff have been pitching their Inglewood stadium project to the NFL in person. Actions speak louder than words.

"We all know what Stan wants to do. What he wants to do is not return to St. Louis. ..." - Jim Thomas
Are we quoting the reporter who most here say has no more connections?

Probably just JTs opinion... I wouldn't go to the bank with that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I haven't seen one real bit of information as I believe they are confidential to only the parties involved.

OTOH, in additon to those confidential sessions, Peacock and company have kept the community apprised of what they are doing.

I'm not seeing anything remotely similar coming from anyone on the Inglewood project.

No, I'd have to disagree... they may be "saying things", but they're not saying a word to the public... no, they are keeping them very much in the dark.

Lol this asking for a source what is said gone ridiculous. The only people present at that meeting know what was said. No press was there and none are likely to be told what was said in a closed door NFL meeting.

Also Peacock and Co. have to keep talking because they're still selling something. Inglewood is already sold, the next time they have to push their project is the August meeting.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip

They have on most things but the one thing that hasn't been released is the St Louis market assessment which the NFL said the home markets could release.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol this asking for a source what is said gone ridiculous. The only people present at that meeting know what was said. No press was there and none are likely to be told what was said in a closed door NFL meeting.

Also Peacock and Co. have to keep talking because they're still selling something. Inglewood is already sold, the next time they have to push their project is the August meeting.

I asked for a source because I know there isn't one... but, it's being suggested that this "non-information" makes Kroenke's motives clear? Not to me... when nothing comes out of a confidential meeting, I don't feel any more informed.

I guess if you don't need to "sell" someting, it's fine to just say nothing... I guess that's their right if, like you say, everything's in place.

Just seems like bad public relations. You seem perfectly fine with getting no updates... but I'd figure a lot of possible fans in L.A. would like to hear from people actually involved in the project...

Crazy concept, I know... transparency.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They have on most things but the one thing that hasn't been released is the St Louis market assessment which the NFL said the home markets could release.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that... curious, has the L.A. market assessment been released?

MrMotes

Starter
Are we quoting the reporter who most here say has no more connections?

Probably just JTs opinion... I wouldn't go to the bank with that.

“It’s possible we have different ownership of the (Rams) because I think (Kroenke) is really committed to Los Angeles. I’m not against Stan going to Los Angeles, I just don’t want our team there. This is why we’re spending most of our time with the league — we think this is an NFL issue.” - Dave Peacock

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

I believe what Kroenke wants to do is go to L.A. as well, but what he wants to do vs what will happen could end up being two completely different things. Jim Thomas also believes the Rams will stay in St. Louis if the financing and land acquisition is completed. Just giving another side of his opinion.

MrMotes

Starter
I believe what Kroenke wants to do is go to L.A. as well, but what he wants to do vs what will happen could end up being two completely different things. Jim Thomas also believes the Rams will stay in St. Louis if the financing and land acquisition is completed. Just giving another side of his opinion.

Yep. Kroenke's intentions are clear. Whether or not he can pull it off is not...

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Yeah, I'm not sure about that... curious, has the L.A. market assessment been released?
There's no home market so it's only been distributed to the teams and they can't release the information. There's been a few leaks that have got out on fan support. Raiders had the the most fans but the Rams were pretty close and the Chargers a distant 3rd. Dan Silio said that he got information that the PSL numbers for LA wasn't in-line with the projections for Carson.

Status
Not open for further replies.