New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Obvious how?

Well the travel would just be killer, you're talking about having teams need to fly around the world, plus the NFL has already said they don't want to expand, and the logistics of setting up teams in other countries, with different laws, it's just not going to happen. It's a nice "what-if" to keep teams where they are, but it's not reality.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Does anyone think the Carson hearing, the StL construction management announcement and the NFL meetings today all occurred this week by shear considence?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Does anyone think the Carson hearing, the StL construction management announcement and the NFL meetings today all occurred this week by shear considence?

They said the STL construction management announcement was coincidence, it was in the works long before they were invited to the meetings. Carson might not be though, but I get the feeling they wanted to get it done ASAP, and wouldn't have waited an extra week or two just to have it done now.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ule-release-eagles-exemplify-planning-dilemma
1) The L.A. effect
None of the three teams that could potentially relocate to Los Angeles in 2016 will play at home on the final Sunday of the regular season. That is perhaps a very fortuitous coincidence, but more likely it is no accident that the Chargers, Rams and Raiders will be spared the possibility of awkward goodbyes as lame-duck teams.

It now seems almost certain that at least one of those teams, perhaps two, will be in Los Angeles for 2016 -- and NFL owners have been told that there could be a vote at their meeting in early December on which team(s) will move. The Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis was blocked from the Rams' use by another event in Week 17. But the NFL seriously considered having the Chargers-Broncos game -- which will take place in Denver on the final day of the season -- be played in San Diego. The final decision, though, avoids what could be a painful day in multiple markets.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ule-release-eagles-exemplify-planning-dilemma
1) The L.A. effect
None of the three teams that could potentially relocate to Los Angeles in 2016 will play at home on the final Sunday of the regular season. That is perhaps a very fortuitous coincidence, but more likely it is no accident that the Chargers, Rams and Raiders will be spared the possibility of awkward goodbyes as lame-duck teams.

It now seems almost certain that at least one of those teams, perhaps two, will be in Los Angeles for 2016 -- and NFL owners have been told that there could be a vote at their meeting in early December on which team(s) will move. The Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis was blocked from the Rams' use by another event in Week 17. But the NFL seriously considered having the Chargers-Broncos game -- which will take place in Denver on the final day of the season -- be played in San Diego. The final decision, though, avoids what could be a painful day in multiple markets.

Makes sense to plan for contingencies. That's all I'll say about it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
1) The L.A. effect

And so the mystery goes. Get the feeling this all a big game to the NFL? It seems clear that lost in all this are the fans of all four cities in limbo.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Not to quash the notion the league contrived the schedule around relocating teams but all 3 teams finished on the road last year too.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
They said the STL construction management announcement was coincidence, it was in the works long before they were invited to the meetings. Carson might not be though, but I get the feeling they wanted to get it done ASAP, and wouldn't have waited an extra week or two just to have it done now.
That's what they said.

Goose, I think Banker is correct but what I-view is he making this assertion from?

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Here's a interview from yesterday. Eric Grubman yall, the man that doesn't say anything when he speaks.

Although he did say when Stan says he is going to do something he usually does it. That's noteworthy.

Also at the end when he drops a hint and says it's tough when a city loses a team.

Again it's tough to read this guy but it's still a good interview.

http://kfwbam.com/2015/04/21/nfls-e...oggin-that-la-is-a-3-or-4-dimensional-puzzle/

bluecoconuts

Legend
And so the mystery goes. Get the feeling this all a big game to the NFL? It seems clear that lost in all this are the fans of all four cities in limbo.

Honestly, I don't think the NFL really cares that much. I think they've grown so big that they think they can just do whatever they want, and we'll just take what they give us. Honestly in the end, they're probably more right than not.

Goose, I think Banker is correct but what I-view is he making this assertion from?

From this interview:

http://kfwbam.com/2015/04/21/nfls-e...oggin-that-la-is-a-3-or-4-dimensional-puzzle/

Quick break down (things are paraphrased, and not word for word):

On the Chargers:
He says that it's crazy to assume that San Diego can't get a deal because no matter what Spanos wont sign it. Doesn't know if it can get done in time, but says that Spanos will sign something if it's good enough.

On the Raiders:
He says it's not crazy to say that the Raiders wont get something done in Oakland, says they have seemingly moved backwards. Says the Raiders could move into Levi's stadium, but not very much. Defers to questions on San Antonio, then kind of stops there.

On St Louis:
He says it's not crazy to say that the city of St Louis will get a plan on there, says he's interested in seeing the next phase in development, and says that it's not done, but the effort is very able and professional.

On a guarantee that the Rams have to stay in St Louis if they can finish the project, (and if another team may move there instead)
(Long pause) then says he thinks it's impossible to "grade" that idea, then he kind of goes in and stops the "Is this crazy" game with the different cities. Says this: "There are too many variables. You’re trying to conduct this “crazy test” to create a linear program that somebody could go through the “if – then” statement in the old programming that I was used to years ago … But it doesn’t work like that. This is a three or four dimensional puzzle. And the complexity has gone up as the number of variables has gone up. When the league was working on one site in Los Angeles there were fewer outcomes than when the league began to work on three sites. When clubs then jumped in and home markets jumped in with responses, the complexity went way up."

Follows up and says that things may fall through in LA, someone may pull out, etc.

On Kroenke and Inglewood being built no matter what:
He says he believes it is their intention to build a stadium, and that he believes that it is their intention to have one or two teams play there. He also says that Kroenke is a very good negotiator and plays his cards close to his vest, but everything that Kroenke has ever said he will or wont do, he has done so far.

On Inglewood:
Says it's a terrific site and that he had been looking at it for a while before Stan took control. Says it's very exciting to see what might be there, and really likes what he sees so far, says it would be an exciting place for the NFL in LA. He then throws in that he likes the Carson site as well.

On Carson:
It was close to being developed for an NFL site before, but it fell through because the profits weren't going to the right places for the NFL.

On the Rams and Chargers playing in Inglewood at the end of everything:
(Slight Pause) Says he wont begin to guess, says there are too many variables and unknowns to take a guess on highly specific teams and locations.

On moving up the date to apply for relocation:
They have not moved that date up formally, but they are definitely thinking about moving it up and will go over that over the next few months. Says the he has suggested to St Louis (city) they need to reduce the variables and risks in time for a decision this calendar year, and not next year. Says it's harder to speed things up.

If there's a possibility on the Raiders in St Louis:
Says he wont begin to speculate on anything that specific.

And the end when talking about how Fred Roggin grew up in Detroit and despite being in LA for 35 years he still likes the Lions Grubman says "It's hard to let go of your team, isn't it?" and Fred says "It is, and I'm gonna leave it right there". My guess is that's a slight nod to LA Rams fans, but of course it doesn't mean a thing.

Honestly I don't see where Banker got that he was saying it's foolish to think that Rams to LA is a done deal. I agree that it is, but Grubman really didn't say anything to that nature, just repeated that things are still moving along and that it's too early to tell.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Here's a interview from yesterday. Eric Grubman yall, the man that doesn't say anything when he speaks.
He seems to want to give some information but then makes everything into a damn riddle.

Although he did say when Stan says he is going to do something he usually does it. That's noteworthy.
Not sure it is noteworthy as he says Stan's group has proposed nothing to the NFL in the form of a stadium in Inglewood. It seems odd in that I thought a previous article said he would be doing that last week. He certainly hedged his bets on backing the idea that an NFL stadium is definitely going to be built in Inglewood.

Also at the end when he drops a hint and says it's tough when a city loses a team.
Sure it's tough. St Louis, LA, and Oakland already know that. Now San Diego, Oakland, and St Louis are in the mix and it looks likely at least one of them will lose a team. The only thing that is noteworthy about that is it seems to fly in the face of one of my theories that none of the teams are moving.

What I found interesting was that it seems to me that Oakland is moving SOMEWHERE if I read his words correctly. I would have thought San Diego was the most likely from recent articles and stories.

In all, the interview doesn't seem to dispel anyone's theories. Grubman once again speaks thousands of words to say nothing.

iced

I expect it will be until a stadium plan has been announced and approved - it's all negotiations til then. Gotta keep LA in play to maximize the deals for whatever teams that don't move

bluecoconuts

Legend
What I found interesting was that it seems to me that Oakland is moving SOMEWHERE if I read his words correctly. I would have thought San Diego was the most likely from recent articles and stories.

That's essentially what I got as well, he seemed quite pessimistic about Oakland.

Although I don't think that it isn't noteworthy that if Kroenke wants to do something he usually does it, I would say it's noteworthy. He just follows it up by saying that Stan hasn't ruled anything out, and has left options open. I think when he talked about proposal, he was talking more about relocation proposal. Kroenke has played his cards to his chest, and he hasn't told anyone what he really wants to do, or at least told them not to say anything.

What I took from that part of the interview is that whatever Stan wants he'll end up getting it done, but he either doesn't know what Stan wants or can't say what Stan wants, so ultimately we're all SOL until Stan says.

But then again, who fucking knows with these guys, they've all mastered the art of saying nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.