New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well I can only speak for myself. But if I had to deal with them giving me crap about the Rams moving. You better believe I'm gunna throw it right back in their face if they don't move. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. I agree with @iced though. I totally understand how it's more likely for them to stay with a stadium being built in the Lou. I think I'm one of the many people who are sick of being pushed around like a two dollar whore.
Do it somewhere else - fine. I have no problem with that. You're not going to be doing it here though unless you are doing it as a parting salvo. We don't let LA fans get away with that crap here and we will not be letting anyone else do it to them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well I'm talking about the casual fan. And I apologize for coming at you like that. But you're right. I'm frustrated. The Internet has absolutely murdered any type of optimism in people these days. Including myself.
And I think most on here feel what you're feeling. And yeah - there are jackasses out there trolling St Louis fans. If they come here - please report them quickly. I'm in the NW and work late so I am usually patrolling the site at some odd hours. We all try to catch them all but sometimes they are bound to slip through on this hot of a topic.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't know what to tell you man. He said what he said. He hasn't said anything to the contrary. Demoff has echoed what he said several times. People ACTUALLY involved with negotiations say they have been in contact with Kroenke's people throughout the process. He proposed a solution that was chosen in arbitration. The city didn't do anything after that so it's not like they've been proposing things and he hasn't responded. You want a public statement from him that reiterates what he's already said - I guess. Finally a month and a half ago, the Governor's people present a proposal and Stan is supposed to say what exactly?

I understand. You want assurances. But what the heck good are those? Haven't his actions up until the Inglewood project demonstrated that his first priority has always been to have his team in St Louis? The guy has called Missouri home for over 6 decades. He was named after another famous St Louis Stan. He talks in interviews about his fond memories of listening to the Cardinals with his Grampa. He brought the team to St Louis after trying to get an expansion team there. So now he is supposed to give up his leverage to appease the fans when the best way he can appease the fans is to get the best stadium he can?

You can point to other owners that have essentially said, "I want to stay but you need to make it worth it to me." and that is somehow better? Has he really needed to say that this whole time for people not to get it? Do you really think doing that would have brought your city leaders together to get him a proposal? Or do you think it is possible he has watched these yahoos in other cities do that very thing and have it go on for a decade and a half. Clearly THAT is not a recipe for getting things done and my guess is that Stan knew it before and knows it now.

I don't know if Stan is still thinking St Louis as the best option. He may have been burnt by the lack of commitment to his team that the CVC and city leaders demonstrated. But until he files for relocation or moves his team into a stadium that hasn't broken ground, I have to think he is doing everything he can to stay in St Louis and work out the best scenario he can.

Do I need him to tell me this? No I don't. He has actually done more to that end than either of the other two in SD and Oak. BTW - has either Spanos or Davis actually proposed anything besides the Carson project? I mean, have they proposed an actual stadium plan to their respective cities? My understanding is that they have not and that it has been more of - make me a "serious" offer. At least Stan proposed something.

But I can understand a fans desire to hear the owner of his team come out and make statements. For myself I wouldn't mind hearing some. But I look at what has been going on in San Diego in particular and every time one side or the other makes a statement, it is twisted and bastardized and in most cases results in the other side feeling like they have to rebut it by calling the other person out. It's just freaking ugly. So given the choices, I'd rather not hear them spew from their pie holes so they can somehow look good to the fans. Both sides just look like ass hats.

I know you disagree with me about the importance of the perception of caring so two final points.

Stan has proposed nothing other than a EJD remodel that everyone knew was unworkable before it was made. It was an offer we HAD to refuse, unlike the Godfather's, and he knew that. That was nothing. And I'm sorry, but he fields the worst team in NFL history over the last decade and HE feels there's been a lack of commitment? We know the feeling.

Do I really think that would help the process? Yes. He already has the LA land, so he has all the leverage he needs. If he wants to stay, I truly believe the votes would have no problem if he showed a little desire to stay. St Louis is NOT Oakland or SD, where the residents have been fighting for years. It's a perception thing, much easier to get a yes vote from a senator or resident by ALLOWING them to stay rather than FORCING them.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I know you disagree with me about the importance of the perception of caring so two final points.

Stan has proposed nothing other than a EJD remodel that everyone knew was unworkable before it was made. It was an offer we HAD to refuse, unlike the Godfather's, and he knew that. That was nothing. And I'm sorry, but he fields the worst team in NFL history over the last decade and HE feels there's been a lack of commitment? We know the feeling.

Do I really think that would help the process? Yes. He already has the LA land, so he has all the leverage he needs. If he wants to stay, I truly believe the votes would have no problem if he showed a little desire to stay. St Louis is NOT Oakland or SD, where the residents have been fighting for years. It's a perception thing, much easier to get a yes vote from a senator or resident by ALLOWING them to stay rather than FORCING them.

To be fair, since Stan has taken over, he's helped make the Rams more competitive, overhauling the front office, was pretty big. I also don't really think buying the land did much in terms of "leverage" given that St Louis is pressing forward with the riverfront stadium with or without Kroenke's blessing. It is better than the Chargers though, who just say no if it's not at least 60% funded by the public, downtown, and a billion dollar stadium. If Stan came back and just decided to shit all over the Riverfront proposal, it would tank fast.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I find it amazing that a football team, my favorite football team, could be the reason why I have so many "friends" literally all over the world. All because of the net. I've been around the boards a long time and have some 10 year friendships. I find all the St Louis vs LA stuff to be incredibly painful because what brought us all together is seemingly capable of tearing us apart.
Its not Martz/Vermeil, Warner/Bulger, SJax HOF or not etc. Those debates are mere fodder, but this stuff is real personal. I hope that whatever the outcome, the middle ground can be acceptable for both sides.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Yeah man - I don't want to keep rehashing this with you. We probably agree on most other things.

I'm not following the allowing vs forcing but it really doesn't matter. I think Stan is handling it how he sees best and until they start packing up, I'm going to go with the fact that he was the reason the Rams/NFL are in St Louis in the first place so he is behind the scenes doing what he said back in 2010.

I think we all know I could be wrong. But without hard evidence to the contrary, I am sticking with my gut.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I find it amazing that a football team, my favorite football team, could be the reason why I have so many "friends" literally all over the world. All because of the net. I've been around the boards a long time and have some 10 year friendships. I find all the St Louis vs LA stuff to be incredibly painful because what brought us all together is seemingly capable of tearing us apart.
Its not Martz/Vermeil, Warner/Bulger, SJax HOF or not etc. Those debates are mere fodder, but this stuff is real personal. I hope that whatever the outcome, the middle ground can be acceptable for both sides.
I know what you mean. I went all the way to Florida to meet up with this rag tag group. I have done the same up in Seattle. Some people scoff at the idea that I have actual friends from all over because of the Rams. But I know I do.
ZOE_0029.jpg

ozarkram

Duke of Earl
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me I have never really understood the divided thing. I am 53 never lived in LA or St Louis. Been to the lou many times never lived there. Have always been a Rams fan. Repeat Rams fan. I must admit the LA fans do seem abit more cocky. Why couldn't tell you. Years ago I watched an interview with John Wayne. In it he said he didn't understand terms like Mexican American or African American or Asian American. He said aren't we all just Americans? Thats kinda my feeling aren't we all just Rams fans?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know what you mean. I went all the way to Florida to meet up with this rag tag group. I have done the same up in Seattle. Some people scoff at the idea that I have actual friends from all over because of the Rams. But I know I do.
View attachment 5480
I havent had the pleasure of meeting anyone at a game, yet. It is truly at the top of my bucket list. But between facebook and texting I've got a handful of poster who I chat with often outside. Pretty neat stuff.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I havent had the pleasure of meeting anyone at a game, yet. It is truly at the top of my bucket list. But between facebook and texting I've got a handful of poster who I chat with often outside. Pretty neat stuff.
Yep. I keep in touch with a few Rams fans on almost a daily basis away from here. Where do you call home?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. I keep in touch with a few Rams fans on almost a daily basis away from here. Where do you call home?
New Jersey
Born and raised. I love to run and have thought about planning a weekend where I run a marathon and catch a Rams game. It will happen....
Grew up in the restaurant biz and would love to get out to your place for sure.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
New Jersey
Born and raised. I love to run and have thought about planning a weekend where I run a marathon and catch a Rams game. It will happen....
I think we are going to try to get together another ROD tailgater this season. Stay tuned. Sure had a blast last time.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
New Jersey

Sidebar I am running the Little Rock Marathon on Sunday. Largest medal on the circuit. It is 9 ins wide and weighs 3 lbs. It's like wearing a dinner plate.

thumb.php
images

And the compass up on the right corner is a spinner.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sidebar I am running the Little Rock Marathon on Sunday. Largest medal on the circuit. It is 9 in's wide and weighs 3 lbs. It's like wearing a dinner plate.

thumb.php
images

And the compass up on the right corner is spinner.
Must be a bitch to run wearing THAT. :D

Very cool medal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sidebar I am running the Little Rock Marathon on Sunday. Largest medal on the circuit. It is 9 ins wide and weighs 3 lbs. It's like wearing a dinner plate.

thumb.php
images

And the compass up on the right corner is a spinner.
Thats awesome, hey maybe start a running thread?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yeah man - I don't want to keep rehashing this with you. We probably agree on most other things.

I'm not following the allowing vs forcing but it really doesn't matter. I think Stan is handling it how he sees best and until they start packing up, I'm going to go with the fact that he was the reason the Rams/NFL are in St Louis in the first place so he is behind the scenes doing what he said back in 2010.

I think we all know I could be wrong. But without hard evidence to the contrary, I am sticking with my gut.

I could be wrong as well. But I'm just echoing what I hear everyday in the city. I mean, I live here, work here. My union lobbies in Jeff City. Most of what I hear isn't different from what I said. This isn't to continue the back and forth, just giving the reason why I hold my opinions.

Big Unit

UDFA
I'll confess - I'm originally from the upper midwest. Used to hate the LA Rams; they had beautiful weather and celebrities; not fair they have good sports teams, too. Used to love when the LA Rams would play the Vikings in Minnesota; or when the lost to the Bears in Soldier Field, and their punter whiffed when a gust of wind blew the football.

But the GSOT - who wouldn't fall in love with that? I'm not sure how I'd feel if the Rams went to Inglewood, and another franchise came to St. Louis. I think I'd stay a Rams fan AND be a fan of the St. Louis team; but if the Rams went to LA and there was NO team here? Ugh. I'd hate that.

I see some people dissing St. Louis because they didn't want to approve a $700 million makeover of the Dome; but now are willing to pay more for a new stadium. The problem with that theory is St. Louis hopes to repurpose the dome as part of the convention center; so they'd have that asset, AND a new stadium - two for one. Plus the new stadium fits perfectly with the current downtown reorganization plan; making the Riverfront the centerpiece of the city; similar to how Chicago uses the Lakefront as its front yard.

I keep hoping the NFL is sufficiently public-relations-savvy that they realize they can't let this mad rush to LA be merely a money grab; there has to be some coherence to the plan; some recognition that far more NFL franchises are located in cities similar to St. Louis, than in cities similar to LA.

Speaking for myself - but as a St. Louisan, I'll stay a Rams fan first and foremost, so long as St. Louis is "okay". New stadium and ANY NFL franchise, I'm fine. Then I can focus on what's best for the Rams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'll confess - I'm originally from the upper midwest. Used to hate the LA Rams; they had beautiful weather and celebrities; not fair they have good sports teams, too. Used to love when the LA Rams would play the Vikings in Minnesota; or when the lost to the Bears in Soldier Field, and their punter whiffed when a gust of wind blew the football.

But the GSOT - who wouldn't fall in love with that? I'm not sure how I'd feel if the Rams went to Inglewood, and another franchise came to St. Louis. I think I'd stay a Rams fan AND be a fan of the St. Louis team; but if the Rams went to LA and there was NO team here? Ugh. I'd hate that.

I see some people dissing St. Louis because they didn't want to approve a $700 million makeover of the Dome; but now are willing to pay more for a new stadium. The problem with that theory is St. Louis hopes to repurpose the dome as part of the convention center; so they'd have that asset, AND a new stadium - two for one. Plus the new stadium fits perfectly with the current downtown reorganization plan; making the Riverfront the centerpiece of the city; similar to how Chicago uses the Lakefront as its front yard.

I keep hoping the NFL is sufficiently public-relations-savvy that they realize they can't let this mad rush to LA be merely a money grab; there has to be some coherence to the plan; some recognition that far more NFL franchises are located in cities similar to St. Louis, than in cities similar to LA.

Speaking for myself - but as a St. Louisan, I'll stay a Rams fan first and foremost, so long as St. Louis is "okay". New stadium and ANY NFL franchise, I'm fine. Then I can focus on what's best for the Rams.
I'll just ignore your confession. A little part of me died each time those things happened. The rest seems fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.