New Defense - Ongoing season discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
JB asked McVay about possible changes at the LB position in this week's coaches show. McVay almost cut him off to answer it.....but not really. That part starts around 14:15...

View: https://youtu.be/ST63tzZFKoQ?si=atRn_9uv6_XzcpZv

Basically repeats what I have been saying, preseason the offense Speights plays against are vanilla and basic. Regular season is a whole other game and counting on a rookie to control the middle of the field when the offenses are throwing misdirection left and right and different personnel groups is a hard task. I'm sure they've been watching and coaching him heavily hoping he can become the guy. Hopefully he's there now.

Tano

Legend
Basically repeats what I have been saying, preseason the offense Speights plays against are vanilla and basic. Regular season is a whole other game and counting on a rookie to control the middle of the field when the offenses are throwing misdirection left and right and different personnel groups is a hard task. I'm sure they've been watching and coaching him heavily hoping he can become the guy. Hopefully he's there now.
Can't be much worse than what we currently have.

We were recently second to last in defense and last in rushing defense.

I focus primarily at linebacker play when I see the rushing defense.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
QUOTE ... McVay said ... "I have been really pleased with Troy Reeder"

Knowing What to Do ... Where to Go ... and What Needs to be Done when you get there ... That's Great.

Not having the athletic ability to Get There and Get the Job Done ... End of Conversation, in my opinion.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Speights should be subbed in on some snaps to get a look at him and provide that competition. But it seems Shula's love affair with our ILB pairing is gonna need to run its course.

Tano

Legend
Unfortunately, I see us losing to the Raiders if Reeder and Rozeboom are still starting.

With all the injuries on the offensive side, we won't be able to keep up.

Brock Bowers is going to destroy us.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Also of note is re: the OL we are likely to get Avila back before Jackson. I like the way that lines up to get a good look at Limmer with two good OGs next to him.

Psycho_X

Legend
Unfortunately, I see us losing to the Raiders if Reeder and Rozeboom are still starting.

With all the injuries on the offensive side, we won't be able to keep up.

Brock Bowers is going to destroy us.
Bowers is going to destroy us regardless. Dude is just that good and we don't have anyone on the roster who can truly cover him completely. Fortunately they don't have much else on offense. So if we keep our embarrassment to just their TE having a good day I'll feel lucky. SHOULD be able to outscore that at least.
Speights should be subbed in on some snaps to get a look at him and provide that competition. But it seems Shula's love affair with our ILB pairing is gonna need to run its course.
Yeah, with them moving the green dot to Lake lately I don't know why they haven't done that in certain situations. I don't like the Reeder/Boom combo this season and am annoyed by it but I understand the decision if Speights isn't processing complex reads effectively. But seems like they could at least mix him in a bit on obvious run downs and such.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
When I heard the McVay video - I was getting the impression that Speights could play over Rozeboom this week.
That would be a plus. Just give the kid some of Rozeboom's snaps, we don't need to make a massive ILB change to both ILB's.
I think Speights matches up better with Bowers.
Bowers.... man we need our playmakers back (Puka, Kupp).