New Defense - Ongoing season discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Toothsayer

Rookie
Name
Richard H Stee

I'll be interested to see snap totals. Seemed like Hoecht was in there a bit more. Maybe he just popped when he was. If keeping Verse fresh also jacks up Hoecht's productivity, that'll be a nice development from pre-bye.

Speights must have a feeble FBI. His athletic ability is so clearly better than Rozeboom's that he must be processing like Forrest Gump to still be on the bench.

Game balls to Lake for that open field tackle on Bowers in the RZ flat and Ahkello for that deep PBU near the end; no panic, perfect technique.

New stat: the MTFL. Since it's a specialty of the entire DL, let's track the unfinished stops in the backfield. I remember Verse, Young, and Fiske all had stunners today. Glad they're getting there, blah, blah, but for the love of Deacon, enough already !

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Today vs the Raiders was the first time this season where the defense has had the front end and the back end on the same sheet of music for most of the game. The Raiders of course are a shitty team, so that is a factor. But what we're seeing in the secondary might also be some growth following the moves they have made on the back end.

Of course we look like we're gonna be light in the pants up front the rest of the way vs the run. But the rush is real. And the Rams are a team who can get heat on a QB with a four man rush which is very valuable if and when our offense ever unfucks itself and starts producing points. Because then they can sit back and keep shit in front and make teams drive the field while that rush beats up their QB.

I do think the lane integrity has improved too. No line is perfect at that. And I think one thing that makes it worse for us is our ILBs, who rarely clean it up when the DL gives a QB a window to run. But it seems to me that maybe this defense is starting to turn the corner in what they seem to be built as, which is a defense that tees off on your offense while you're chasing the score.

So with the Vikes looming on Thursday night I think one thing that is going to be very important is our offense. We're gonna need them to score probably mid 20s to be in this one. And since Minnesota has a tendency to put teams down early it would be nice if our offense could come out hot.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Props to the defense today. No TDs surrendered and they even scored one which was a difference maker in the game.

The Whiners losing added to a good day. The whiner's defense has been giving up a lot of points even though the announcers talk as if they are still ranked #1.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man this one must feel great for Shula. Happy to see him enjoying a big defensive win on that postgame speech. :clap:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This D is a dominant MLB away from extreme nastiness!!!! Find that guy RAMS!!!!!!

TexasRam

Legend
I liked the blitz package calls today. They were game changers and we need more of those.

The pass rush is a legit thing now with Verse and Young really settling in.

I feel like the defense could be really dangerous if we had an aggressive blitzing playcaller. We saw just a glimpse today.

But until those ILB's are upgraded we will always have a weakness that can be exposed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I liked the blitz package calls today. They were game changers and we need more of those.

The pass rush is a legit thing now with Verse and Young really settling in.

I feel like the defense could be really dangerous if we had an aggressive blitzing playcaller. We saw just a glimpse today.

But until those ILB's are upgraded we will always have a weakness that can be exposed.

Well - Mcvay right in front off his face saw what he should last season & known what an excellent job #4 did .
I’m pissed at The Rams not signing Whiterspoon & NOW he is showing what an EXCELLENT CB he has been for THE RAMS.

That deep ball late that the WR got by him just a bit to play that perfect while looking for the ball & then breaking it up.Mcvay want to be his GUY celebrating.Whiterspoon stayed calm put out his hand,but there was not play still. I was just happy for him.
Last season he was wearing #23 in training camp.Them he took that 2nd year guys number #44.

This year at one point they had him on the roster.To be honest though I didn’t watch the Packers game like I should have.It’s been 2 weeks. ANYWAYS seeing a #4 out there running late across the field made me have to look at the roster & think who that was ? Then I didn’t see Whiterspoon on The Rams website roster still & no number #4. He has ALWAYS been an effort guy who cares.He was a BIG reason The Rams made the playoffs.Now did St.Brown use him in the Playoffs? I think he was SHOCKED how physically he is as a WR.I think he would have been ready DAY 1 in 2024.If not as a Starter,but at least as depth.
T’ White has been so BAD,it makes me (pissed) upset!!! The main reason is I saw it in my face twice that cost(helped) a win against da Bears.

You make mention of the other 2 groups on defense.I disagree about The Blitz,but LOVED those packages.Shula has to have that Trust though in the backend as well.

Sort of funny as well,if you look at Kinchens being the High draft Pick in 2024.It was the 2 rookies (udrfa’s) who both got big INT’s.
Kam Curl was such a FIND !! Durant made 2 great Plays.
Against Detroit he had that INT that would have WON the opening game if 2024.Would have been a Rams Highlight for Ever ! He just came down wrong because he got so much air to come down with it.He just hit a little to hard & slipped out.He also got hurt on the play which hurt The Rams & another reason why Whiterspoon should have been signed for depth ?
—That’s just me though.I won’t change my thought of what I feel happened? There is more to it than that. - I’ll continue- but The DB group is better with #4 Whiterspoon. Come Thursday against 2 of The Best WR’s is going to be a Big Test.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As can be seen I can go on forever.There is a lot there though.

The LBer group - I’ll give them credit for now.The Rams defense continues to play hard & give Mcvay & his Offense a chance to win week in and week out.

Against the raiders The Rams Defense WON that game.

TWICE they had to make STOPS though.14 points if Offense does not Do IT !!

Therefore Troy Reeder The Green Dot guy did his job well(enough to win).

Is Omar Speights the guy ? We’ll see in time(due ?). This short week though isn’t going to be it. I could see after the bye week & then another long week if the Rams don’t win I could totally see a change at LBer depending on play .

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Defense played great. Minnesota will kind of determine if the defense is taking shape or it was an anemic Raiders offense.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Defense played great. Minnesota will kind of determine if the defense is taking shape or it was an anemic Raiders offense.
I think we're definitely playing better in the secondary due to Williams settling in. Also White being benched, Curl being used more in the box, Wallace and McCullough emerging a bit, etc. So there is reason to think they have turned a corner in terms of improvement.

What worries me is Darnold is going to see the big rush lanes they've left up front and he'll be ready to take advantage. And Darnold is a very underrated athlete. The boy can move when he wants to.

But overall I think Minnesota is a game where the offense needs to show up. I didn't expect the Raiders defense to be easy to score on. Vikes are very disciplined and well coordinated but they're not elite in terms of talent. So I think this offense must show up and finish drives while avoiding stupid fucking turnovers if we're gonna have a chance to win.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If the Rams had even a mediocre offense, they would be 4-2 at a minimum. They don't have the horses right now and the play calling hasn't helped them IMO.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why McVay doesn't design more 12 personnel packages to utilize Kyren and Blake.... and Jesus tap dancing Christ, please stop throwing that useless screen to the left....

Tano

Legend
Someone needs to make a video of all the times that Rozeboom has flopped face first into the ground after missing a tackle this year and then send it to Rams headquarters with the caption "Rams Fans have had enough of Rozeboom's flopping."