New Defense - Ongoing season discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
I've been kicking this around too. This past offseason the one coach hire that I did not like was the DL hire. Looking at his history, I did not like the production at each of his stops. Felt like an underwhelming addition. Then the camp reports started rolling in about how good our DL was performing and I figured ok cool he's gonna make a statement this season with this young group.

That still might happen. I'm not down on this front or anything and I expect them to get on a nice roll as we go. But the Cards game really shook my confidence. Just the complete disregard of something so obvious as rush discipline vs Murray, to me, is unforgiveable. But that said it falls mainly on DC for me. Because if he was beating that drum all week prior there is no way we would have seen that shit we saw. With Murray it's not about sacks or pressures, it is about containment.

So we'll see what they do vs SF. Whose QB will also brutalize us just in smaller chunks if the rush isn't coordinated.
Yeah - make him throw from the pocket and he sucks.

Allow him to roll out and he becomes an all pro

Rams were great the last few years making him throw from the pocket.

Plus that's why I call him 8 game Murray. By the 8th game, his hamstring starts acting up from all the hits from running around and he isn't as mobile after the 8th game.

Lamar Jackson astounds me that he can still run around after 8 games from all the hits he incurs.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
If the defense could have tackled Murray when they had their shots at him, and if the refs didn't majorly screw up calling Marvin Harrison's Junior's first TD a catch (it was never even close...), that game looks a lot different. Things snowballed from there against this young Rams defence.

Alas, Murray is a slippery QB, and the refs make mistakes.

I still think the D will improve with time - both in terms of the players on the field, and Shula in his DC role. And in building resilience so things DON'T snowball. Shula cannot tackle for them. Countless times players were in position but failed to make the tackle.

I still think this unit ends up quite good by year's end. People are over-reacting to 1 game. Arizona is a very good football team. Particularly offensively. And well coached. They are NOT the same Cardinals we have walked over in previous years.

I think many fans on this site - and more troublingly, the players after playing Detroit so tough despite missing so many Rams out to injury - were looking past Arizona and that was the result.

If we can find a way to somehow in 2 of the next 3, we should actually be in good shape to make a season out of this campaign yet as we get bodies back down the stretch. Every game will be a huge task for this Rams team, given the number of injuries. But Chicago looks potentially beatable right now. Who knows what they will look like come week 4 though if Keenan Allen comes back and Caleb Williams further acclimates to the NFL. Green Bay in week 5 is another potential game the Rams can win if they are still down Jordan Love. Even SF, who knows. They have injuries of their own and divisional games are unpredictable. Any given Sunday. Even 1 win before the bye sees the Rams avoid being totally cooked, but the season will be on life support.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still think this unit ends up quite good by year's end. People are over-reacting to 1 game. Arizona is a very good football team. Particularly offensively. And well coached. They are NOT the same Cardinals we have walked over in previous years.
Yeah I think it was last year they added that GM and he's had a couple solid offseasons. The HC is a doofus but a solid defensive mind. I don't think they're gonna do anything in the playoffs but you are right they're not the same Cards.

Division games are gonna be tough this year. We need this defense to get their shit together fast.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I continue to feel unsettled by them trading E Jones. Would he have made a difference? For example, on that OT drive by the Lions if not before...

1-1 would feel less apocalyptic especially if we now go 0-3

Our MLB group is distinctly average at best which was not the case last year with Jones leading the defense

Tano

Legend
I continue to feel unsettled by them trading E Jones. Would he have made a difference? For example, on that OT drive by the Lions if not before...

1-1 would feel less apocalyptic especially if we now go 0-3

Our MLB group is distinctly average at best which was not the case last year with Jones leading the defense
Average? You're too kind.

I would put them at an F right now.

I was not a fan of Rozeboom last year but he did make some plays. This year without Jones making up for Rozeboom's mistakes, he is absolutely terrible.

And Reeder likes to get dragged a few yards when he tries to make a tackle. And forget about him trying to cover someone crossing the middle.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone watch the Jets last night? That defense rushed the passer, blitzed, defended the run even when the patriots tried using fakes and reverses, and made solo tackles constantly when they weren't gang-tackling. Although they did not look good against the niners, that's the defense I want to have. Note: I did not watch much of the second half.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Shula spends half this season flailing around with that subpar ILB pairing when he's got potentially better answers on the depth chart it will likely end up being a tell that he's in over his head as DC. I don't care how smart Reeder is on the scheme. I don't care how dedicated he is as a team player. None of that shit matters. Demby was like that, coaches fucking loved that boy, but he just wasn't good enough. Now granted Reeder is no Demby. But he represents the safe option for a young DC.

Well I say fuck safe. Put Speights in there dammit. Put Hummel in there too. Both those dudes were snuffing shit out all over the field with sure tackling in preseason, while Reeder/Rozeboom were chilling with the rest of the starters for some stupid reason. Hummel is faster than most safeties. Could have used him out there vs Arizona. Speights is likely to be better than Reeder, going off his preseason, because he's got instincts and can fill downhill or get outside and make plays.

The difference in the tackling in preseason and the tackling we have seen so far from the starters has been night and day. And part of that is how well those two played in preseason so give them a fucking shot. At least cycle them in there so you can see the difference on game film and realize the change needs to be made, as opposed to forcing us to endure Reeder for another six weeks.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's hard for Reeder and rozeboom to make a tfl when they constantly hit the wrong hole. When they do fluke the right hole and have a chance to make a play the rb hits them and they both move backwards 4 yards.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

It's hard for Reeder and rozeboom to make a tfl when they constantly hit the wrong hole. When they do fluke the right hole and have a chance to make a play the rb hits them and they both move backwards 4 yards.

It’s an epic fail having these two starting let alone together

I dread to think how good Jones and Speights may have looked together!

dang

Legend
I think for Reeder and Rozebooms sake the Rams need to at least TRY integrating Speights and Hummel into the defense this week against the 69ers. Otherwise the pitchforks and torches will completely surround them. Similarly finding options from a heavy dose of BBrown should be in the plan.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
It’s an epic fail having these two starting let alone together

I dread to think how good Jones and Speights may have looked together!

I wouldn’t expect jones to miss as many tackles, but with the DL being shoved back into the LB’s laps as if they’re on skates, even a good tackler would be making those tackles after a decent gain.

The DL simply has to play better, especially if the Rams are planning on continuing to run with below average LBs.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn’t expect jones to miss as many tackles, but with the DL being shoved back into the LB’s laps as if they’re on skates, even a good tackler would be making those tackles after a decent gain.

The DL simply has to play better, especially if the Rams are planning on continuing to run with below average LBs.
It is true the DL has not made Reeder's life easy. I don't think Jones, for example, would have reversed the run game porousness we've seen so far. No ILB can reverse a DL getting put on skates run after run after run.

But we know what Reeder is. That's what should be in Shula's mind as it pertains to getting Speights involved.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
It is true the DL has not made Reeder's life easy. I don't think Jones, for example, would have reversed the run game porousness we've seen so far. No ILB can reverse a DL getting put on skates run after run after run.

But we know what Reeder is. That's what should be in Shula's mind as it pertains to getting Speights involved.

I would not bet your thoughts are much different from Shula’s. The problem I see is that we all saw Speights look impressive during preseason, but against whom? Expecting an UDFA to step in and captain the defense is a little pie in the sky, maybe?

It comes down to when the kid is ready. No sense throwing him out there if he’s gonna be lost or overwhelmed. THAT was the ability Reeder brought to the table and made him a starter, certainly not his athleticism. Reeder and Rozeboom are place holders. They understand where they are supposed to be and what to do…they just aren’t very good at it right now.

When the Rams’ staff feels Speights is ready to go up against legit NFL OL (players he never saw in preseason), they will get him out there. Until the DL starts protecting the second level by eating blockers, Speights won’t fare much better.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not bet your thoughts are much different from Shula’s. The problem I see is that we all saw Speights look impressive during preseason, but against whom? Expecting an UDFA to step in and captain the defense is a little pie in the sky, maybe?

It comes down to when the kid is ready. No sense throwing him out there if he’s gonna be lost or overwhelmed. THAT was the ability Reeder brought to the table and made him a starter, certainly not his athleticism. Reeder and Rozeboom are place holders. They understand where they are supposed to be and what to do…they just aren’t very good at it right now.

When the Rams’ staff feels Speights is ready to go up against legit NFL OL (players he never saw in preseason), they will get him out there. Until the DL starts protecting the second level by eating blockers, Speights won’t fare much better.
Fair and measured take. But given what Reeder is, I think kicking ass in preseason is sufficient for a look ahead of him. I suspect this has to do with the green dot, which is why I would have given it to one of the safeties.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Fair and measured take. But given what Reeder is, I think kicking ass in preseason is sufficient for a look ahead of him. I suspect this has to do with the green dot, which is why I would have given it to one of the safeties.
Agree. The green dot makes it harder to get him (Reeder) off the field.
Based on what I was hearing/reading this preseason, I thought Lake was gonna get it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Give our D props today. After the 1st quarter of today's game, when the shit was hitting the fan, they sucked it up and only gave up 10 points the last 3 quarters. Didn't get rolled by the 49ers running attack and actually made a couple of critical stops.

Yeah, there is a long way to go, but the last 3 quarters of this game - and especially when the game was on the line - this D showed improvement and got it done.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Few things I believe we should do from my armchair DC:

1. Stop rushing 3. It was rough to see last year even with Donald, without Donald, holy shit does the qb have all day to sit back or make plays with their feet.

2. Start Witherspoon over White.

3. Speights and Hummel need to be our starting lbs. Both have better speed. At least try them out for godsake.

4. Verse and Fiske need to calm down a bit. They do a great job with getting pressure, but it looks like a supercharged car with wish.com tires. No real control after winning their match ups and things get out of reach for them real quick where they miss the tackle or fall before they can follow through with a sack. Over pursuing is a constant issue with Verse as well. Assuming this is bc of the speed of the game, and will come with time.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give our D props today. After the 1st quarter of today's game, when the shit was hitting the fan, they sucked it up and only gave up 10 points the last 3 quarters. Didn't get rolled by the 49ers running attack and actually made a couple of critical stops.

Yeah, there is a long way to go, but the last 3 quarters of this game - and especially when the game was on the line - this D showed improvement and got it done.
They definitely improved as the game went on. Towards the end you could see that Purdy was feeling their rush and they did enough for the win. This is a big win they can build on.

Next two games they face more mobile QBs that can kill them with their legs. So that rush discipline needs to continue. It almost killed us late, Fiske barely got Purdy on that one possession when he tried to shoot out of his rush lane and if he hadn't it may have been a back breaker. His own lateral movement on his rush almost got him. But if you don't get the pressure vs these type QBs it's ok, provided you contain them. Most will not do well if they have to beat you from the pocket, the ones who can are the rares like Mahomes, Rodgers, etc. Here's hoping they keep working on this.

Next two are winnable games if our defense keeps improving.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I can't decide if the defense is inches from disaster or inches from dominating.
The play HARD.. I know that.
White has some rough moments.. but has plenty enough good ones. Durant is growing. It will be interesting to see how things work if Williams can get healthy.
Reeder... just such a target, and for some understandable reasons.. .but.. he had a good game? No? I feel like he did.
The front is going to have to be WAYYYYYYY more disciplined the next couple of weeks, or they're going to get torched by Williams and Willis.

The front is violent and aggressive... I think they could be kicking some ass by the end of the season.

Please.. please.. let Verse and Young be smart on contain... AND.. take some better angles.