NBA Conference Finals are great

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But it’s silly to think they can play fine without him. I get it though, in order to pontificate on LeBrons greatness you have to make sure you exaggerate the level of the competition he faced.

Not at all, and I don't know why you don't want to give really talented players the credit they deserve.

They gave the Cavs and LeBron all they could handle. And the Cavs came in on a hot streak after sweeping the Raptors.

I'm not buying the "scrappy Celtics" narrative, those guys can play. I already broke down how many high picks they have on that roster. They didn't get picked high because they are "scrappy". The Boston Globe said they could make a run without Irving.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...yrie-irving/Rw2RqRnITGgfiBHpoviFrL/story.html

And several people picked them to win the series.

On a different note, and I’m not sure who brought it up, but Kyrie not being there with the team is very suspicious to me. Sure he can’t play but how is he not on the sidelines during the biggest game of the year?

It could be as simple as some sort of emergency..........I don't recall if he was at the other 6 games or not.

There is absolutely no love lost between him and LeBron and it could be something as simple as not wanting to be forced to congratulate him if the Cavs won. And if he didn't the media would portray him badly and social media would do it's thing too of course.

There was a talking head on ESPN that put out a thought that suggested he may not be happy about the team's success without him.

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hang on I looked and found it.

https://nesn.com/2018/05/is-celtics...yrie-irving-chris-broussard-has-wild-thought/

I think he landed in a good spot, and he himself has said how much he likes Boston. So I don't think he is unhappy.

IMO as much as wanting to "be the man" being the reason he wanted out of CLE it was also the fact that he would be stuck there when LeBron leaves again, which I think we all agree is going to happen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not at all, and I don't know why you don't want to give really talented players the credit they deserve.

They gave the Cavs and LeBron all they could handle. And the Cavs came in on a hot streak after sweeping the Raptors.

I'm not buying the "scrappy Celtics" narrative, those guys can play. I already broke down how many high picks they have on that roster. They didn't get picked high because they are "scrappy". The Boston Globe said they could make a run without Irving.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...yrie-irving/Rw2RqRnITGgfiBHpoviFrL/story.html

It could be as simple as some sort of emergency..........I don't recall if he was at the other 6 games or not.

There is absolutely no love lost between him and LeBron and it could be something as simple as not wanting to be forced to congratulate him if the Cavs won. And if he didn't the media would portray him badly and social media would do it's thing too of course.

There was a talking head on ESPN that put out a thought that suggested he may not be happy about the team's success without him.

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://nesn.com/2018/05/is-celtics...yrie-irving-chris-broussard-has-wild-thought/

I think he landed in a good spot, and he himself has said how much he likes Boston. So I don't think he is unhappy.

IMO as much as wanting to "be the man" being the reason he wanted out of CLE it was also the fact that he would be stuck there when LeBron leaves again, which I think we all agree is going to happen.
I’m trying to converse about this but you keep contradicting yourself.
The Celts are playing guys who were at the end of the bench but got prime playing minutes due injury, and the trade for Kyrie. But it’s cute that you are turning it on me showing disrespect.
As said previously, all these guys are #1 picks. So if you want to say the C’s roster is talented, then so is the Cavs. Ergo, can’t stick with the narrative that Lebron is playing with a bunch of stiffs.
In any event the C’s made me incredibly proud. When Kyrie was ruled out I was just hoping that they’d get past the Bucks. And they did. And the scrappy bunch just kept chugging along, upsetting Philly and then going 7. Unfortunately the magic ran out and Rozier/Morris/Smart combined to go 8 for 38.
Next year they’ll be bench players again.
As for Kyrie, I guess this explains it but still seems weird
https://nesn.com/2018/05/danny-ainge-reveals-why-kyrie-irving-wasnt-on-celtics-bench-for-game-7/amp/

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I’m trying to converse about this but you keep contradicting yourself.
The Celts are playing guys who were at the end of the bench but got prime playing minutes due injury, and the trade for Kyrie. But it’s cute that you are turning it on me showing disrespect.
As said previously, all these guys are #1 picks. So if you want to say the C’s roster is talented, then so is the Cavs. Ergo, can’t stick with the narrative that Lebron is playing with a bunch of stiffs.

Not just first round picks, as I pointed out they have guys picked very high in the draft. I think some people are selling them short on how well they played. They are good. And I think you are one of the people selling them short.

I don't think everyone would say the Cavs roster is talented outside of James and Love. I read an article that had some metrics in it and this is the worst team LeBron has gone to the finals with, and that's with Love the All Star forward and his metrics factored in. I'll see if I can find it again.

If it's true about Irving having that surgery I don't blame him I wouldn't want to be on TV looking like I just got into a fight with Tyson.

On to tonight's game.

This looks, on paper, to be a Warrior's win.

Harden is playing pretty so-so, but not great for him, and not consistently hitting shots. He's had a couple of bad nights in Rockets wins and tonight would be a bad night to try that formula again. Chris Paul is a game time decision which means he won't be a lot of help. The starters have played a lot in this series and may be a little tired.

But something is nagging at me and I think I know why.

Home court could be the difference. They each took a game on the other teams home court, winning 2 road games in a 7 games series can't be that common. Not that the Warriors can't because they certainly have the firepower. And they have a lot more playoff experience too.

This is a hard one to call. I can make a case why I think both of them can win.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Too be fair, the globe and NESN are Boston based newspaper and sports channel. Slightly biased opinions lol.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I appreciate you calling the Celtics talented. They are talented, with rookies and 2nd year guys. It takes years for rooks and 2nd year guys to win. The talent showed its colors in game 7. Rozier who has been forced to start went cold, 2nd year Brown went cold. Decent production from the 20 year old rookie. Rookies don’t lead teams to championships. LeBron didn’t and Jordan didn’t. So Cleveland almost got knocked off by a rookie led team. That’s a fact. Never in any series did the Celtics have the best player on the court.

Your draft breakdown is flawed too. Cleveland has the same kind of roster. LeBron #1, Jeff Green 3, Kevin Love 5, Tristan Thompson 5. Not to mention they drafted Anthony Bennet first overall but he is out of basketball I believe. Point is draft position means nothing as Cleveland looks similar to Boston and if we judged by your logic then Philadelphia would be the East Champion.

I guess another way to put it, is if Cleveland didn’t have James and Love and Boston had Irving and Hayward, would we be applauding Irving for being great or would it be he just got past an undermanned team?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Too be fair, the globe and NESN are Boston based newspaper and sports channel. Slightly biased opinions lol.

Yes I know, but I happen to agree with them. The Celtics are LOADED with talent. Take LeBron and Kevin Love off of the Cavs for this series with the Celtics without two of their guys and the Celtics would sweep them or lose one game on the road. If/when LeBron leaves CLE the East will be theirs to lose for a few years.

I love basketball and have been a Lakers fan my entire life as an extension of being a Rams fan. The Cavs came into play when I was very young, but already a Lakers fan.

I'm a Clevelander, that's where I'm from, though I don't live there now, and I admittedly have a soft spot for the Browns, Cavs and even the Indians even though I don't follow baseball anymore. It's been fun for me to see how friends back home have gotten so much fun and enjoyment out of this run the Cavs have had. I've gotten that feeling as a Lakers fan many, many times (not recently LOL) so I'm glad they are getting it too.

I've been in that arena countless times. And in the arena they played at before that one was built. And in the arena they first played in which was a rickety dump built in the 1930's, I saw LeBron a couple of times in his rookie year when he was sorta skinny but was already showing everyone he could play with grown ups.

Live basketball is IMO the most fun to watch out of any of the big sports. It's a great sport.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We posted at nearly the same time haha........ooops.

To converse about a few things.

So Cleveland almost got knocked off by a rookie led team. That’s a fact. Never in any series did the Celtics have the best player on the court.

Part of what I have been saying. Those guys can play. The media narrative in some cases is that this group is plucky and well coaches and playing over their heads. I watched the games. This wasn't luck, it was talent.

Cleveland has the same kind of roster. LeBron #1, Jeff Green 3, Kevin Love 5, Tristan Thompson 5.

Overall the Celtics have WAYYYYYY more young recently drafted talent and they have starters that when healthy are all top 5 picks. Even now they put 4 guys on the floor drafted in the top 6 that can play well.

Thompson was a 4th overall pick several years ago and has been disappointing. Can't say that about the Celtics I mentioned.

Also important to note he's (a Canadian and thats for @CGI_Ram hahajoking) dating a Kardashian skank so will never be worth a fuck at basketball.

if we judged by your logic then Philadelphia would be the East Champion.

Be careful..........if LeBron goes there.........they will be.

And even if he doesn't PHIL and BOS are going to see a lot of each other in Eastern Conference Finals.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Green was 5th overall btw.

And he is like 32 or 33.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Chris Paul is not playing tonight.

This is a tough W for the Rockets.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Harden shooting like Dennis Rodman

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
there is nobody in the paint for either team.........

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Brick after brick from way outside with the paint wide open.......wake up Rockets

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
brickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrick

And the paint was WIDE open for the Rockets.

Bad job.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rockets missed 27 straight 3 point attempts to set an NBA record. Dubious, but it's a record.

Their HC should get blasted by the media. The Warriors weren't even defending the paint knowing that the Rockets were going to jack up 3 pointers and jump shots. He should have adjusted and had his playmakers drive to the basket. Instead they just kept launching bricks.

Ariza, Gordon and Harden combined for 4-34 from the 3 point line.

Two straight second half collapses to lose out the series. Very much on D'Antoni's shoulders IMO. The players missed the shots in those games but he should have switched up the strategy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not just first round picks, as I pointed out they have guys picked very high in the draft. I think some people are selling them short on how well they played. They are good. And I think you are one of the people selling them short.

I don't think everyone would say the Cavs roster is talented outside of James and Love. I read an article that had some metrics in it and this is the worst team LeBron has gone to the finals with, and that's with Love the All Star forward and his metrics factored in. I'll see if I can find it again.

If it's true about Irving having that surgery I don't blame him I wouldn't want to be on TV looking like I just got into a fight with Tyson.

On to tonight's game.

This looks, on paper, to be a Warrior's win.

Harden is playing pretty so-so, but not great for him, and not consistently hitting shots. He's had a couple of bad nights in Rockets wins and tonight would be a bad night to try that formula again. Chris Paul is a game time decision which means he won't be a lot of help. The starters have played a lot in this series and may be a little tired.

But something is nagging at me and I think I know why.

Home court could be the difference. They each took a game on the other teams home court, winning 2 road games in a 7 games series can't be that common. Not that the Warriors can't because they certainly have the firepower. And they have a lot more playoff experience too.

This is a hard one to call. I can make a case why I think both of them can win.
How is calling them scrappy selling them short? That they over achieved is a slam? I don't get it. Its a complete compliment to them. As for the first round stuff that you are sticking too, its silly. Its the NBA, they all are former 1st round picks and there is no guarantee that a top 10 pick even survives.
Fact is that the Cavs do have several 1st rounders that have had successful careers.
The Celtics will be loaded with talent next season, when they add Hayward and Kyrie to the mix

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
How is calling them scrappy selling them short? That they over achieved is a slam? I don't get it.

I'll explain this a different way.

You say they overachieved as a group without Hayward and Irving.

Others say they performed as they would have expected, and played great basketball and came close but fell short. Which you would expect being down two starters.

Some people picked them to win the series. So going to the mat with the Cavs wasn't overachieving to some of people it's what they expected. And when the series was 2-0 in Bostons favor pretty much everyone had them down to win it.

In other words not everyone felt the same way you did about them.

IMO if you played an entire season with them and that HC you'd have a 4-5 seed playoff team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll explain this a different way.

You say they overachieved as a group without Hayward and Irving.

Others say they performed as they would have expected, and played great basketball and came close but fell short. Which you would expect being down two starters.

Some people picked them to win the series. So going to the mat with the Cavs wasn't overachieving to some of people it's what they expected. And when the series was 2-0 in Bostons favor pretty much everyone had them down to win it.

In other words not everyone felt the same way you did about them.

IMO if you played an entire season with them and that HC you'd have a 4-5 seed playoff team.
I don’t who “they” are to which you are referring but they were a pick em in the first round and underdog agin Philly and Cleveland series. All while having home court.
So the betting odds were very much against them winning. Which makes getting to game 7 overachieving.
Significantly so.