LEGEND My Dog ROCKS!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've watched him pick out the hearts and eat them before everything else he likes it so much. Funny thing is... the person who gave me the recipe said that her dogs do the same thing with the hearts.
One of my dogs (a German shorthair, Springer mix) was a killing machine. It became a real problem. But he used to hunt ground squirrels. He would lay down in the pasture until they would ignore him. Then he'd get up and creep forward and lay down again. He would do this until he got between his Target and its hole. Then he'd chase them down. Getting to the point..... He'd take the thing and sit under a tree and pull out the heart and the fat glands and set them aside. He'd then eat the squirrel, leaving the heart and fat for dessert. It used to creep me out.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
One of my dogs (a German shorthair, Springer mix) was a killing machine. It became a real problem. But he used to hunt ground squirrels. He would lay down in the pasture until they would ignore him. Then he'd get up and creep forward and lay down again. He would do this until he got between his Target and its hole. Then he'd chase them down. Getting to the point..... He'd take the thing and sit under a tree and pull out the heart and the fat glands and set them aside. He'd then eat the squirrel, leaving the heart and fat for dessert. It used to creep me out.

Cool.

In the last few years scientists have discovered that killer whales are killing sharks and only eating their livers and hearts. They've even found great white sharks that were killed and the orcas only ate their livers and hearts. Nothing else was eaten at all.

I can't remember exactly what I read about years ago with lions... but I seem to remember the livers and hearts being consumed by the pride leader 1st before the rest of the pride were allowed to eat. That may even have been wolves that I read about doing that.

Anyway... those hearts and livers are the primo parts of the kill for apex predators it seems. I'm sure it has to do with the nutritional value and maybe even the taste.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Cool.

In the last few years scientists have discovered that killer whales are killing sharks and only eating their livers and hearts. They've even found great white sharks that were killed and the orcas only ate their livers and hearts. Nothing else was eaten at all.

I can't remember exactly what I read about years ago with lions... but I seem to remember the livers and hearts being consumed by the pride leader 1st before the rest of the pride were allowed to eat. That may even have been wolves that I read about doing that.

Anyway... those hearts and livers are the primo parts of the kill for apex predators it seems. I'm sure it has to do with the nutritional value and maybe even the taste.
The organ meat has lots of nutritional value. It's how they can eat only animals and not suffer from vitamin deficiencies. They've probably learned to love the taste to match their nutritional needs.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Not sure if you guys have seen the new stuff coming out about the grain free dog foods causing serious health problems now. We've feed our boy Fromm (only dog food never to have a recall) since we got him... and even their food is now a possible cause of health concerns because of this.... no recall... just possible problems.

Our boy has a sensitive stomach too. So I have now decided to make his food myself... just like I have to with my parrot. If anyone is interested I will be happy to share the recipe... it's awesome for sensitive stomachs.

As you can see here, Judah definitely approves as well.

20190707_171921.jpg
Luckily , none of our dogs have had to have any special diets , we've been feeding them Hills Science Diet and have always had pretty good luck , we just usually keep their food bowl full , and they just snack on it as they want

The puppy we have now is definitely NOT food motivated , she just eats at her leisure, although she is a little bit of a slob , loves the water , I think she plays in it more then she drinks it

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Most of our Shepherds who kill rabbits and squirrels , just do it for sport , they chase them down and when they catch them , they play with them till their dead , then get bored and walk away , never actually eat their kills , once the chase is over , the thrill is gone I guess

Unlike German Shorthairs , there is no stealth to a German Shepherd , there is no creeping , if it moves , the chase is on..............lol

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Every German Shepherd puppy wev'e ever had has had their own personality

and Lily is no different
confused.gif
......................lol

most the time she's pretty easy going , 95% of the time , but she does have this Turbo gear that can pop up at any given time

growing like a weed, I think she's going to be a big girl , her breeder said she was one of the larger pups of the liter , and I can believe it , she is a bit above average in size , a four month old female German Shepherd is suppose to be in that 32 lbs - 36 lbs weight range , but she's already at 38 lbs / 39 lbs range , and we still have a week to go before she hits four months , so she'll probably be over the 40 lbs range at 4 months

lily32a.jpg

lily31a.jpg

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@IowaRam Beautiful girl you have there. I love German Shepherds. Have owned three in my life time Hercules who was a huge male of the American type sliver and black colored. He was the type of dog that made everyone just stop and stare. Rexy a longhair and probably the smartest dog I have ever owned. Sadly Rexy was hit by a car. I can not even say his name in the house because my wife will start crying. And now sage, she looks very much like yours. And about a year and half older than yours. She is my fell off a truck dog. Interesting story there. Enjoy yours they are just wonderful and only with us for a short time.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Just cuz....
C4549FFB-FFBA-4840-BD94-8758C4AA7928.jpeg

You can never have enough balls.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Puppy update , her saddle is starting to come in as her legs and shoulders are beginning to lighten up

typical 4 month old puppy stuff , angel one minute , the devil the next

house training has gone very well , shoes tend to disappear at times though

she's big enough now that she can reach most everything , for the most part she's pretty good , but she does have a knack for smacking the computer keyboard at the most worst times.............lol

she's not a lap puppy anymore............lol

lily35a.jpg

lily36a.jpg

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Awesome thread for dog lovers. My weenie dog Herman is now in that dog pasture in the skies. He had some kind of personality. He loved stealing tomatoes and zucchini from my garden. He was also an escape artist. He dug holes but not to get out. He used stealth to sneak out an open door and run the neighborhood. Had to bail him out of doggy jail a couple times over the years. One day he snuck out and got hit right in front of the house. It was a sad day in the snackdaddy household. Everyone loved him. Been 7 years now. Herman will always be my favorite.

I also have a chihuahua named Guapo. He was Herman's step brother since he was a pup. They were good buds for years. Guapo seemed to take on Herman's personality. Hyper as can be. 12 years old and still acts like a pup. Goes nuts running like crazy when I get the leash to take him for his morning walk. Very fit for an older dog. I think he's gonna be one of those little dogs who live to be 20 or more. I'll admit he's grown on me since Herman died. And he's like my shadow. Follows me everywhere I walk in the house. My wife said he gets separation anxiety for a bit when I leave.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
My 8-pound watchdog. She is the best damn dog I ever had. I was never a "small" dog person until we got her. She loves to swim. If she hears a noise at night she stands on my chest and has a low growl facing whatever it was that she heard.

18122002_10213110166497841_5007139812883087725_o.jpg

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Lily just turned 5 months

but the reason for this post

we got her a new GPS collar

not that GPS collars are new , they've been around for a few years now and we've looked at them before

the trouble was , was the battery life on most GPS collars were like only 3-5 days , so if you forget to charge them , they become kinda mute , and useless

but we found a new one , called FI , ( kind of a stupid name )

but the battery life is amazing , they claim up up 3 months on one charge

and I believe them , we've had it for like a week now and it's still at 98% battery

it works pretty slick , if the dog is home it's works of off your wifi , and if you're on a walk it then works off of your phones bluetooth

so it's not constantly pinging the GPS satellite , using up battery , it's only if the dog leaves your "safe zone" does it go into GPS mode , and then gives you real time tracking

and yes , there is a $100.00 a year fee

but if there is anyone out there who has a dog who is an escape artist , or hunters whose dogs are always on the move , or if you just want peace of mine , it might be worth checking out

lily42.jpg

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David

not that GPS collars are new , they've been around for a few years now and we've looked at them before

the trouble was , was the battery life on most GPS collars were like only 3-5 days , so if you forget to charge them , they become kinda mute , and useless

and I believe them , we've had it for like a week now and it's still at 98% battery

it works pretty slick , if the dog is home it's works of off your wifi , and if you're on a walk it then works off of your phones bluetooth

so it's not constantly pinging the GPS satellite , using up battery , i

but if there is anyone out there who has a dog who is an escape artist , or hunters whose dogs are always on the move , or if you just want peace of mine , it might be worth checking out

lily42.jpg
So you can chase your dog with your phone in your hand. :D

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

so it's not constantly pinging the GPS satellite , using up battery , it's only if the dog leaves your "safe zone" does it go into GPS mode , and then gives you real time tracking

lily42.jpg

I call Bullshit!

You just wanted to show off your gorgeous dog. As would I. :p

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I could lock up every TV remote I own and store them in the garage , and that puppy I have now will not only find a way to still change the channel , but will also find a way to change some magical hidden setting on the TV that will take me 3 hours on Google and Youtube to figure out how to set it back , :ROFLMAO:

oldnotdead

Legend
When I lived in Carlsbad I adopted a huge stray cat. Neighbors told me he'd been abandoned as a kitten several years prior. The complex bordered on a wilderness area at the time and coyotes roamed in packs through the parking lots and down the streets every night. My small condo had a fenced patio with a huge ass oak tree in it. I was the only condo with no dog in the patio. So the cat took up residence in the tree. I'd find squirrels and rat remains every morning on the patio. It was a pain to keep cleaning it up.

One day I heard a commotion in the patio which had a side gate opening onto the parking lot. The gate had about 6" of clearance at the bottom so the Cat would sit in his tree and ambush scrub rats as they scurried under the gate. This time it was early evening and the coyotes were active early. I guess they surprised a cottontail rabbit who scurried under the gate to escape. As I opened the slider the coyotes who were outside the gate left. But it wasn't them making the disturbance. This mini mountain lion of a cat had pounced the rabbit. All 19 lbs of him were sitting on top of the rabbit casually gnawing on the rabbit's ear as an appetizer I guess. If you have ever heard a rabbit scream its sounds something like a child screaming. Anyway, I pulled the cat off and carried the rabbit into the brush across the parking lot.

So why am I writing this in a Dog Thread? Because of what happened the next day. Again I heard a child screaming but this time I knew it was the girl next door in my patio screaming about a cannibal. I go out and the cat is on top of her taco dog just like he had been with the rabbit. He was again casually gnawing on the dog's ear. I grabbed the cat again and the girl grabbed her petrified dog.

People thought it was my cat. A week later another neighbor was banging on my door. When I answered it, a neighbor lady started screaming at me. Apparently this cat tried to eat her weiner dog. I just rolled my eyes and slammed the door on her. So to keep the peace I started to feed the cat.

He lived for 7 more years and the vet couldn't believe the size of the animal. The cat loved people he just hated dogs. I grew up with dogs, cats, rats, birds, and fish as pets. But this cat never lost his taste for small dogs. Neighbors said even single coyotes left him alone.

My Dad loved shepards but hip dysplasia is a real problem with them. I love medium size mutts. We mutts have to stick together.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
A59C1738-F9CB-46DE-98C2-7B227251D8D0.jpeg

Well, I AM an English cream.
I’d be a GREAT Magistrate.
Or at least a good lawyer.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
View attachment 30035

Well, I AM an English cream.
I’d be a GREAT Magistrate.
Or at least a good lawyer.

LOL

Is he an English Golden? I'm assuming so since you said English cream... but I'm not sure.

Judah is mixed with English Golden... but I thought the English Goldens were basically a white color only. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that?