MLB hot stove 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I couldn't stand him as a Dodger fan, he had quite a few run-ins with Dodgers players, Muncy most recently. He plugged Puig at least once that I can remember, I think Puig stared him down after a homer.

Giants fans loved him for good reason. It would be a tough one to swallow, but if he had a Verlander-esque late career, I think Giants fans would end up much more bitter about his signing than Dodgers fans.
He’s one of those ultimate hypocrits and there on the Dodgers too but he celebrates a big pitch or out and shows emotion then gets pissed when others do the same too him. This story explains it well. I still need one of those shirts.

So it's kind of like Clemens going to the Yankees. I hated that move.

Its a good thing the Yankees never signed Jim Rice. The fans would have rioted.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So now that the Cold sweepstakes are over what's left to get excited about? Rendon and Hader maybe. Despite losing Wheeler I like what the Mets did by replacing hi. With Wacha and Porcello. They still have Degromm and Syndegaard.

The tigers got a steal in the Rule 5 draft. Romney Contreras is a strike out machine. They got a keeper.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So now that the Cold sweepstakes are over what's left to get excited about? Rendon and Hader maybe. Despite losing Wheeler I like what the Mets did by replacing hi. With Wacha and Porcello. They still have Degromm and Syndegaard.

The tigers got a steal in the Rule 5 draft. Romney Contreras is a strike out machine. They got a keeper.
I think Rendon signed with the Angels

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A lot of talk around the Dodgers trading for Lindor and Clevinger. They’re also close to signing Betances it seems.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lindor / Clevinger - i say YES
Who goes? Lux / May / Verdugo + ? Downs?
Depends on who you read for a source. Lux May are pretty much in each deal the other 2 vary. I'd prefer not to give up both Lux and Downs though. One I saw was Lux May Verdugo Barns and International pool money. That's rough giving up Dugo too IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Depends on who you read for a source. Lux May are pretty much in each deal the other 2 vary. I'd prefer not to give up both Lux and Downs though. One I saw was Lux May Verdugo Barns and International pool money. That's rough giving up Dugo too IMO.

Isn't Lux their superstar minor leaguer?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't Lux their superstar minor leaguer?
Lux is considered either the SS or 2B of the future he can and did play both well this year when he came up. He's out top prospect and according to some lists a top 5 and as high as the #2 prospect in baseball. He and Keibert Ruiz in our farm are enough to headline a trade for anybody. Thing is if we trade for Lindor he becomes the SS of the future and present. That trade moves Seager to 3b which would upgrade that position while moving Turner to 1b and Muncy to 2b.

The problem I have with trading for Lindor is we become even more imbalanced with lefty hitters. Muncy, Seager, Joc, Verdugo (if we keep him) and Bellinger are lefties leaving only Will Smith and Justin Turner in the starting lineup as righties. Yes Lindor is a switch hitter but he's much better at least by the numbers as a lefty. Friedman has done an amazing job of drafting so that we can afford to trade a guy like Lux especially with the guy we basically stole from the Reds last year Jeter Downs not far behind and also a capable middle infielder.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Lux is considered either the SS or 2B of the future he can and did play both well this year when he came up. He's out top prospect and according to some lists a top 5 and as high as the #2 prospect in baseball. He and Keibert Ruiz in our farm are enough to headline a trade for anybody. Thing is if we trade for Lindor he becomes the SS of the future and present. That trade moves Seager to 3b which would upgrade that position while moving Turner to 1b and Muncy to 2b.

The problem I have with trading for Lindor is we become even more imbalanced with lefty hitters. Muncy, Seager, Joc, Verdugo (if we keep him) and Bellinger are lefties leaving only Will Smith and Justin Turner in the starting lineup as righties. Yes Lindor is a switch hitter but he's much better at least by the numbers as a lefty. Friedman has done an amazing job of drafting so that we can afford to trade a guy like Lux especially with the guy we basically stole from the Reds last year Jeter Downs not far behind and also a capable middle infielder.

That trade proposal sounds pretty steep then. I know Lindor is really good but damn that’s a lot of good players.

The Dodgers and Yankees should hook up on a trade. They have too many right handed hitters. They have good players like the Dodgers so they don’t want to displace a good player in exchange for a lesser player just because they are lefties

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cards signed Kwang-hyun Kim! I love this signing; he almost averaged a strikeout an inning as a starter, and his walk rate was miniscule. But best of all? He's a much-needed left-handed starter!

:D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cards signed Kwang-hyun Kim! I love this signing; he almost averaged a strikeout an inning as a starter, and his walk rate was miniscule. But best of all? He's a much-needed left-handed starter!

:D
I'm really hoping there is truth to the rumors we're going after Mookie Betts :D

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm really hoping there is truth to the rumors we're going after Mookie Betts :D

Depends what he costs. He'll be an expensive free agent in a year - if it takes a fortune in prospects too, maybe not.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends what he costs. He'll be an expensive free agent in a year - if it takes a fortune in prospects too, maybe not.
I disa, whatever it takes to trade for him and sign him to an extension.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disa, whatever it takes to trade for him and sign him to an extension.

Well, yes, the career .654 OPS in the playoffs sure makes it seem like he's worth whatever it takes. Trade multiple future stars and go into the luxury tax which means the Dodgers will likely let another person or two go, or not fill holes they could.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, yes, the career .654 OPS in the playoffs sure makes it seem like he's worth whatever it takes. Trade multiple future stars and go into the luxury tax which means the Dodgers will likely let another person or two go, or not fill holes they could.
Potential future stars you mean? Guys that might not even put out a .654 ops nor win playoff games? We can send some prospects and not be hurt at all. Also one of the rumored pieces going to the Sox is Seager with his even worse post season ops.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Potential future stars you mean? Guys that might not even put out a .654 ops nor win playoff games? We can send some prospects and not be hurt at all. Also one of the rumored pieces going to the Sox is Seager with his even worse post season ops.

The reports are that it will take 3-4 top prospects. Seager might be included too, but he won't be the centerpiece. And then Betts will take a ginormous contract, which since the Dodgers are trying to stay under the tax, would mean that other holes wouldn't be filled or players let go. There are reasons that the Red Sox are looking to move him. Oh, and his best position is where the Dodgers 2019 MVP plays at a gold glove level.

I'm not saying that there is no price that would make sense, just that basically carte blanche followed by a market setting contract would not make sense. I want the Dodgers to have the financial and prospect resources for their pitching, while still maintaining a real pipeline of young players elsewhere. The Red Sox are looking to loot the Dodgers for a player that will be extremely expensive to resign - who will likely be a free agent in a year anyway.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not very familiar with the Dodgers roster, but is Betts necessary? Like @Akrasian said it will create a huge payroll deficit in other areas.

I believe that Garret Cole is a top three pitcher in baseball, but I wasn't overly excited about the Yankees sinking that much money into getting him. I don't like the payroll imbalance. Plus the Yankees have some players who will need new contracts, like Judge. Knowing that the Astros were cheating tells me that the Yankees had enough to win the world series. But, I guess Cole fills a future spot with some big contracts coming off the books next year with the pitching staff and it keeps him out of competitors rosters. But the cost of embittered agents is hurting baseball more than helping it.