MLB hot stove 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love MiLB. I’d hate to see it go. I also dislike the idea that they know who has a chance to make it to the majors and who won’t. BS. Some low level guys can surprise. Don Mattingly was only picked because some cute stewardess was asking Steinbrenner to pick him. He was considered a longshot.
I totally get it, I just don't think it's as far fetched and as bad of an idea as some I love to go to minor league games. But for every Mattingly there are guys drafted who will never play in the minors just so a team can use the draft pick.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Piazza. Drafted in the 62nd round. Under this plan, he wouldn't ever have been a pro. On the short list of best catchers ever.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Piazza. Drafted in the 62nd round. Under this plan, he wouldn't ever have been a pro. On the short list of best catchers ever.
And how many first round picks flopped? Or are you suggesting we go back to drafting 2000 players a year and that baseball needs that? BTW he was also drafted as a first baseman and he was the 1,390th player drafted which means he wouldn't have been drafted this year either. Clearly we need more draft picks and more minor league teams.

come-on-man_o_1094311.jpg

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
And how many first round picks flopped? Or are you suggesting we go back to drafting 2000 players a year and that baseball needs that? BTW he was also drafted as a first baseman and he was the 1,390th player drafted which means he wouldn't have been drafted this year either. Clearly we need more draft picks and more minor league teams.

come-on-man_o_1094311.jpg
No one said expand the minor leagues. But for opportunity to play the game for pay with the hope of making it to the bigs I say the more teams the better. Same for bringing pro baseball to places that wouldn't have it. What does it matter to us? Whether the draft is reduced or not the teams that continue to beat the bushes searching for talent worldwide will be the better for it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No one said expand the minor leagues.
He actually kind of did with his argument. A hall of famer was drafted in the 62nd round saying the contracting minor league and draft was bad because he wouldn't have been drafted when he wouldn't have been drafted this year or this decade for that matter :)

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
He actually kind of did with his argument. A hall of famer was drafted in the 62nd round saying the contracting minor league and draft was bad because he wouldn't have been drafted when he wouldn't have been drafted this year or this decade for that matter :)
No he didn't. He simply gave an example that reducing the draft might have kept Piazza from becoming a pro and then making it to MLB and becoming a HOF member.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No he didn't. He simply gave an example that reducing the draft might have kept Piazza from becoming a pro and then making it to MLB and becoming a HOF member.
The same as being born 20 years later would have. Reducing the draft right now wouldn't change the fact that he wouldn't be drafted today let alone in a few years if they shorten the draft.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
The same as being born 20 years later would have. Reducing the draft right now wouldn't change the fact that he wouldn't be drafted today let alone in a few years if they shorten the draft.
I disagree.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I totally get it, I just don't think it's as far fetched and as bad of an idea as some I love to go to minor league games. But for every Mattingly there are guys drafted who will never play in the minors just so a team can use the draft pick.

Does it cost MLB or the individual teams? I know the Yankees recently expanded the number of their Minor League teams. A few years ago Hal agreed with Cashman's desire to improve the farm system and scouting program. It's paying off with guys like Judge and Severino and a loaded farm system stacked with pitching prospects. This is something I've wanted to see since I was a kid. I loved the 96' team that had so much home grown talent. I've never been a fan of buying their way to the playoffs each year. It's takes a long time for stars from other teams to feel like Yankees after rooting against them for so long. Some I just didn't like period, like Clemens and A-Rod. Some panned out and some were huge flops. I like the way things are now.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Expanding the minors is good for the fans. shrinking them isn't.

Having lived in minor league towns, the games are fun and help to expand interest in the sport, all the way to the majors. There were a number of players I have been interested in because I had seen them in the minors. While I've always been a Dodger fan, I know a number of fans who root for the Dodgers because a player they followed in the minors played/plays for them. I'm certain that works for fans of other, lesser teams too.

Broad minor leagues help to grow MLB fandom in the long run. Eliminating many of the teams would hurt MLB in the long run. As it is, with the minors parents can affordably take their kids to games. Eliminating much of the minors would reduce that significantly. It would also reduce the quality of play in the majors, since later round surprises wouldn't happen.

It is insanely short sighted, IOW.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Expanding the minors is good for the fans. shrinking them isn't.

Having lived in minor league towns, the games are fun and help to expand interest in the sport, all the way to the majors. There were a number of players I have been interested in because I had seen them in the minors. While I've always been a Dodger fan, I know a number of fans who root for the Dodgers because a player they followed in the minors played/plays for them. I'm certain that works for fans of other, lesser teams too.

Broad minor leagues help to grow MLB fandom in the long run. Eliminating many of the teams would hurt MLB in the long run. As it is, with the minors parents can affordably take their kids to games. Eliminating much of the minors would reduce that significantly. It would also reduce the quality of play in the majors, since later round surprises wouldn't happen.

It is insanely short sighted, IOW.

I guess MLB is saying there are too many unsuitable conditions at many minor league venues. I.e. fields, clubhouses, travel. I love the minor leagues and if it was feasible I would visit each of the Yankees teams once each year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So what’s the opinions on the Astros cheating.

It’s disgusting to me because my team was directly affected. I hope the Commissioner comes down hard on them. I don’t want another Patriots type of BS to ruin another sport.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
So what’s the opinions on the Astros cheating.

It’s disgusting to me because my team was directly affected. I hope the Commissioner comes down hard on them. I don’t want another Patriots type of BS to ruin another sport.
Is there something new?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As for Marte he could fetch a nice return but most of the clubs contending are pretty solid in the OF that I can recall.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there a link you or anyone else can give regarding the new evidence/allegations? TIA
old.reddit.com/r/baseball is probably your best bet for all the stuff.