Mike LaFleur hired as new OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yes. I can't believe he hasn't improved our running game AT ALL since he's been hired.

Better get his shyte together!

I feel better now.
Damnit, you beat me to it....I should have read all the comments first, haha. Great Minds!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm happy with this signing. It probably means that Thomas Brown won't be back, but LaFleur has been great at every stop, definitely someone who will eventually become a head coach.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Certainly not trying to crush the hopes and dreams of some of my fellow posters and Rams' fans but the Jets very rarely used a Fullback the past two seasons under Mike LaFleur.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
A friend of mine whos a diehard Jets fan said LaFleur schemed a run game that reminded him of the 49er's run game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was hoping for Brian Johnson, but this seems fine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No and he should be interested in the Shitter offensive structure. McVay had a nice run dueling with Shanny in creative run game complement to the pass game (the how's and why's of the run game are the primary difference in the two approaches) but clearly Shanahan's approach has been more effective and more sustainable. So I agree this is beneficial from that angle and might be the primary reason he was targeted as the replacement.

Also along those lines of this conversation here's a good article from 2022 that covered the "duel" between these two offensive minds rather well:

I believe Mike McDaniel was the run game guru in SF. LaFleur was in charge of the passing game (insofar as anybody but Kyle Shanahan could be in charge of the passing game).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Certainly not trying to crush the hopes and dreams of some of my fellow posters and Rams' fans but the Jets very rarely used a Fullback the past two seasons under Mike LaFleur.
Yup, I dont know why people would think anything of the sort. Breece Hall, Michael Carter & Zonovan Knight are all built in the same way as Akers & Henderson.
I will say though that when looking at the Jets running game, that did have its moments this year, it also was running behind a line that lost its starting LT before the season began in Mekhi Becton, then starting RT who took over at LT Fant went on IR after week 3, OT Vera Tucker OT on IR week 7, so they sure had their share of o-line woes as well

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Finally get my FB hot damn!
~ @OldSchool
Always love this discussion :) Never had a problem with the thought of us adding one just laughed at people who think we've used a TE like one more than rare occasions or that McVay would add one. Nothing in his past says he'd use one, in fact in a talk Shanny said McVay's offense is like his but built around more WR's and Shannys is more TE/FB and the variances that personnel allows normally.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the SF connection. I don’t care for Shanahan simply because he’s a 49’er but I respect his offense.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Will always remember this as sad. If White becomes The Rams backup QB would be nice. Wilson was a QB I didn’t think should have been drafted in the 1st rd.

Knapp might have done wonders though.

That's horrible and the headline is so bad, should say after being hit by car... not bicycle crash

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I believe Mike McDaniel was the run game guru in SF. LaFleur was in charge of the passing game (insofar as anybody but Kyle Shanahan could be in charge of the passing game).
Sure. But in the time spent as part of the gameplanning group for the offense maybe he picked up some things. Maybe absorbed the way they prioritize their reads and whatnot, the way they practiced and prepped for opponents, and so on. McVay can duplicate things schematically just by watching film and building his own approach but there is a certain magic to the way Shanny puts that attack together.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Not stoked about the hire. But I'm just a newb
I wouldn't say I am 'stoked' but some of the names getting coordinator gigs are relative unknowns.

Ryan Nielsen is Atlanta's new defensive coordinator; and Dan Pitcher is Tampa's new offensive coordinator.

EDIT: Pitcher is an interview. My Bad.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I have a lot of respect for Shanny’s Os, but in terms of winning seasons he’s only 3-3 while McVay is 5-1 over the same stretch.