Mike LaFleur hired as new OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'd put it more like LaFleur bought the doughnuts, however, both Shanahan & Mike LaFleur obviously do not indulge in the fried cakes.

Will always remember this as sad. If White becomes The Rams backup QB would be nice. Wilson was a QB I didn’t think should have been drafted in the 1st rd.

Knapp might have done wonders though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay chooses his new Yes Man, err Offensive Coordinator
I had the same initial reaction. :laugh2:

But I do trust McVay so looking forward to this hire kicking some ass for us.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
True, but the Jets ran the ball extremely well under his watch.
Who is their RB? I can see Cam Akers having a serious Top 5 RB breakout season.

There is that RT like 6’8 I might think would be a nice draft pick in 3rd rd.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I had the same initial reaction. :laugh2:

But I do trust McVay so looking forward to this hire kicking some ass for us.

Did you ever think it was going to be different? I don’t get what your getting at besides Mcvay is a control freak when it comes to play calling.
It doesn’t mean though that the OC isn’t the Coach putting in the game plan. Mcvay expects that & why his coaching tree has been so successful.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Who is their RB? I can see Cam Akers having a serious Top 5 RB breakout season.

There is that RT like 6’8 I might think would be a nice draft pick in 3rd rd.
We need to get nasty up front if we want to be top 5 rushing. He would need 20+ carries per game as well.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Am I the only one who sees a bigger picture in him being able to implement some of the 49er passing stuff while also having a pretty damn good understanding of the 49er run game? Breece Hall was having a great year before injury and LaFleur had Zach Wilson to deal with. Everyone would take an L with Wilson!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Am I the only one who sees a bigger picture in him being able to implement some of the 49er passing stuff while also having a pretty damn good understanding of the 49er run game? Breece Hall was having a great year before injury and LaFleur had Zach Wilson to deal with. Everyone would take an L with Wilson!
No and he should be interested in the Shitter offensive structure. McVay had a nice run dueling with Shanny in creative run game complement to the pass game (the how's and why's of the run game are the primary difference in the two approaches) but clearly Shanahan's approach has been more effective and more sustainable. So I agree this is beneficial from that angle and might be the primary reason he was targeted as the replacement.

Also along those lines of this conversation here's a good article from 2022 that covered the "duel" between these two offensive minds rather well:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Now pair this hire with a great OL coach to build a solid running game. If they can do that it can help an offense survive some big injuries.

They can be a little more resilient when you need to play without a starting QB for a few weeks or if you lose your star WR. Can also help a young defense by controlling the clock more on offense.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Was hoping he might be TE coach with Reich as OC but I trust McVay to build another great staff.

A healthy year and this offense will be lighting teams up again.

oldnotdead

Legend
If he can convince McVay to use a FB lead blocker on power blocked run plays then I'm all for it. Rams OC will be the ones who help incorporate McVay's plays into the weekly game plan. Sean will still call the plays but by delegating the weekly game planning load he will relieve some of the weekly workload stress. Creating these game plans mean the OC must know and understand the schematic design of the play. If Mike can tweak the designs of the run plays he can make a difference in this offense.

This is why IMO McVay's coaches have been so successful. They must have a complete understanding of McVay's concepts to build those weekly game plans. I'm hoping Mike's contributions will be in the run game. I've always contended that it's more a matter of matching the blocking scheme to the talents of the RBs. Both Akers and Williams are one cut and go type of runners. These are what you want in a power or zone blocked run scheme. A successful power run scheme requires a legit lead blocker, i.e. a FB not a WR or TE. A legit FB plays like an ILB, i.e. he attacks the LBs in the same way as the LBs attack the OL. A FB blows open the hole (normally the A gaps) not just impedes the LB. The same can be said with inside and outside zone plays. How many times have we seen an outside zone run blown up by a missed block by a WR or TE? Part of the problem is expecting them to execute while playing on the LOS. The FB given his alignment in the backfield has a much better angle to make that block. This is why we are slowly seeing the return of the FB into a lot of offenses.