Melvin Gordon: Pay Me or Trade Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

The league originally wanted for Spanos to remain in San Diego, and I personally believe they should have tried to exert more pressure on Spanos to take on a partner who could help with the process of building a new stadium for his city, including an increase in the amount the League itself was willing to invest in the project. Kroenke has done a great thing for Los Angeles, but he may have inadvertently harmed the NFL policy for extracting every cent, tax exemption & subsidy made available by politicians to keep or capture an NFL team by way of what many believe is a corrupt scheme for stadium funding. Future NFL team owners should have to prove an ability to finance their own stadium re-builds or capacity for building anew. There should no longer be an acceptable solution that automatically places this burden on local taxpayers. Kroenke is doing the right thing in bankrolling his epic adventure, and his legacy will be his reward. If fans had the right to purchase shares in their home team, refinancing stadiums might become less of a problem for poorer team owners like Spanos, but greed is quite engrained in the minds of those who refuse to share power, and home towns may eventually suffer for it. jmo.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kroenke has done a great thing for Los Angeles, but he may have inadvertently harmed the NFL policy for extracting every cent, tax exemption & subsidy made available by politicians to keep or capture an NFL team by way of what many believe is a corrupt scheme for stadium funding.

It might not work everywhere, but Kroenke will end up making more money by building it himself with a very valuable complex all around it, feeding off of the crowds from 16 regular season games a year, plus playoff and 4 preseason games, plus special events, with enough residential spots so that even when there aren't events the restaurants and clubs will be okay year around. All the while paying Kroenke nice rents, year after year. And that's all before offseason concerts or other things going on. A city financed plan would have put more restrictions and required more sharing of offsite revenues.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It might not work everywhere, but Kroenke will end up making more money by building it himself with a very valuable complex all around it, feeding off of the crowds from 16 regular season games a year, plus playoff and 4 preseason games, plus special events, with enough residential spots so that even when there aren't events the restaurants and clubs will be okay year around. All the while paying Kroenke nice rents, year after year. And that's all before offseason concerts or other things going on. A city financed plan would have put more restrictions and required more sharing of offsite revenues.

I believe the L.A. Clippers have also signed on for a new basketball stadium to be built right across the street from Stan's mega complex, so this project just keeps on expanding. I've mentioned it before that the only thing lacking appears to be a Subway Station stop that leads on to LAX and then back to L.A.'s main rail hub at Union Station.

Ram65

Legend
I suspect the Chargers will demand something back - likely draft capital - in trade. No reason to give him away

He apparently was offered $10 million per for his contract. The devil is in the details, of course, but sitting out most of this season and getting only $2 million or so for playing the last third of the season means he will have cost himself $8 million. He might make that back by holding out - but it's possible he wouldn't - especially if he's not productive or gets injured at the end of the season. So he better hope some team is willing to give him a contract now as well as give the Chargers enough in trade.

No details are available.

Of course, it depends on the details, length, guarantees, and bonus, etc...

He should take it if its at least two years and $20 Million guaranteed. He is not going to get a big deal near TG's deal's. I don't see him doing better as getting a trade doesn't seem likely.

oldnotdead

Legend
As a former resident of San Diego, I can say that every actionable plan submitted by the City as well as outside investors was rejected by Dean Spanos. He continued to offer up a bunch of bogus proposals that were DOA even at first glance, all the while negotiating with Kronke in secret. His premature move to Carson was the result of his bad faith about to be exposed. His move was akin to the Browns move to Baltimore. Spanos also had an offer from Eli Broad who has 600 acres just east of LA. Broad wasn't even asking for a percentage of ownership and would have footed the construction himself. All he asked for was a reasonable percentage of the revenue as a development partner. Again Spanos refused.

The Spanos family lives off the NFL income. Not just the immediate family but the extended family as well. Aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces and the like all are employed by the team. Nepotism is the order of the day with that franchise. IMO the only way a move to LA puts money in the Spanos family's pocket is via an increase in the franchise value. It's obvious they aren't going to draw much of a fan base when they can't even sell out to their own fans the tiny stadium they play in.

So how does an increase in the value help the Spanos family? The only way is to sell the franchise. That IMO has been their plan the entire time. I expect the Spanos family to sell the franchise within 5 years of moving into Inglewood, probably less. Their small draw won't cover the lease payments they will have with Kroenke. They will soon be bankrupt. But it plays into why they want to keep team costs to a minimum. Why do you think they hired the cheapest HC they could find? They could have had Arians who wanted the job, but he would have been far more expensive. They canceled Arian's interview at the last minute. Every million tied up in player contracts is one less million for themselves. Everything the Spanos family has done in the last 10 years points to them wanting to bump the value of the franchise up to eventually sell.

Mark Davis knew this and it's why he never took the joint Carson stadium seriously. Oh BTW Las Vegas offered the same deal they gave Davis to Dean Spanos first and he rejected it offhand. So to say there were no actionable alternatives for the Chargers isn't accurate because there were many.

Also, there was an investor group willing to buy the franchise (to overpay for it) or to partner with the Spanos family for a minority interest all to keep it in San Diego. Of course, it was rejected by Dean Spanos. Even though Dean was publicly stating he was going to sell a 35% interest in the team. So when the investor group called his bluff he suddenly changed his mind. The NFL knows this it was all laid out for them. But this is an old rich white boy's club so they did nothing. Why do you think they are so coy about the potential move to have a minority buy into this boys club? You think they would be celebrating it but they aren't are they?

The best thing that could happen to the Chargers would be to have new ownership.

fearsomefour

Legend
There were other proposals in SD, although not for a new stadium.
The guy would mess up a wet dream is my point.

Agree about Gordon having no leverage.
I think he will come back several weeks in.
But, he could be getting some horribly bad advice.

fearsomefour

Legend
As a former resident of San Diego, I can say that every actionable plan submitted by the City as well as outside investors was rejected by Dean Spanos. He continued to offer up a bunch of bogus proposals that were DOA even at first glance, all the while negotiating with Kronke in secret. His premature move to Carson was the result of his bad faith about to be exposed. His move was akin to the Browns move to Baltimore. Spanos also had an offer from Eli Broad who has 600 acres just east of LA. Broad wasn't even asking for a percentage of ownership and would have footed the construction himself. All he asked for was a reasonable percentage of the revenue as a development partner. Again Spanos refused.

The Spanos family lives off the NFL income. Not just the immediate family but the extended family as well. Aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces and the like all are employed by the team. Nepotism is the order of the day with that franchise. IMO the only way a move to LA puts money in the Spanos family's pocket is via an increase in the franchise value. It's obvious they aren't going to draw much of a fan base when they can't even sell out to their own fans the tiny stadium they play in.

So how does an increase in the value help the Spanos family? The only way is to sell the franchise. That IMO has been their plan the entire time. I expect the Spanos family to sell the franchise within 5 years of moving into Inglewood, probably less. Their small draw won't cover the lease payments they will have with Kroenke. They will soon be bankrupt. But it plays into why they want to keep team costs to a minimum. Why do you think they hired the cheapest HC they could find? They could have had Arians who wanted the job, but he would have been far more expensive. They canceled Arian's interview at the last minute. Every million tied up in player contracts is one less million for themselves. Everything the Spanos family has done in the last 10 years points to them wanting to bump the value of the franchise up to eventually sell.

Mark Davis knew this and it's why he never took the joint Carson stadium seriously. Oh BTW Las Vegas offered the same deal they gave Davis to Dean Spanos first and he rejected it offhand. So to say there were no actionable alternatives for the Chargers isn't accurate because there were many.

Also, there was an investor group willing to buy the franchise (to overpay for it) or to partner with the Spanos family for a minority interest all to keep it in San Diego. Of course, it was rejected by Dean Spanos. Even though Dean was publicly stating he was going to sell a 35% interest in the team. So when the investor group called his bluff he suddenly changed his mind. The NFL knows this it was all laid out for them. But this is an old rich white boy's club so they did nothing. Why do you think they are so coy about the potential move to have a minority buy into this boys club? You think they would be celebrating it but they aren't are they?

The best thing that could happen to the Chargers would be to have new ownership.
Yeah, there were serviceable offers to rehab/update (and shrink....which would have been wise) Jack Murphy.
That would have bought ten years or so for a perm deal to be worked out in San Diego.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Melvin Gordon returning to Chargers on Thursday

Chargers running back Melvin Gordon is ending his holdout.

He will report to the team Thursday, Ian Rapoport of the NFL reports.

Gordon will not play this week.

Reports earlier Wednesday indicated the end of Gordon’s holdout was close, and PFT reiterated Gordon needs to be on the roster for eight games to satisfy the final year of his contract to become a free agent.

The Chargers rank 13th in rushing offense, and Austin Ekeler is their leading rusher with 38 carries for 160 yards and two touchdowns.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should have used the title, "Pay me or don't Trade Me while lose Millions while I hold out!. and then come back like a whimpering puppy dog"