Melvin Gordon: Pay Me or Trade Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You need a decent oline in front of you to run 4 yards per carry consistently. I've followed the Chargers having lived in San Diego since the mid 80's until a couple of years ago. I can tell you that their oline has always been crap. They draft guys like Tevi who is their starting RT (i.e. the primary run side of most teams). More than one pro scouting service had an UDFA grade on him. He still is inconsistent. Before Tevi they had Barksdale....a failed ex-Ram.

Their RG Schofield was cut by Denver as an OT and moved inside to OG. He's a better OG than OT but he still not what you want at RG if you want to run. He isn't going to give you much drive. He's a lot like Blythe in that regard. The Chargers run primarily an inside zone run attack. Depending upon the oline call and the defensive alignment the RG will have to block either the NT or 3T. If you don't get strong play from both the RG and RT that play will fail forcing the RB to look for another gap.

Bad oline play has plagued the Chargers for years. During River's down years it was the primary cause. So to blame Gordon for his so called mediocre play isn't realistic. Why do you think he was hurt so much. Rivers has gotten really beat up behind Charger lines for years.

IMO Gordon sees an opportunity to get out from under inept team management. I just hope he doesn't come to the NFCW because he's far better than his stats. There are probably at least half a dozen teams on the phone for Gordon because they have seen what I've seen.

You and some others here make good points. I recall Gurley not doing so well a few years ago running behind a bad OLine and Jeff Fisher's 1940's offense. In general, I think paying big for a running back is bad cap management. Apparently McVay and Snead don't, but teams like Washington have had great success running the ball with a committee. It's more about having a good OLine, and offensive plan.

Gordon is in a tough spot. He's worn a lot of tread off those tires already. I don't think he gets close to Gurley money, but I didn't think Gurley would ever get what he did.

oldnotdead

Legend
Gordon is an elite RB. He does a lot of things very well. IMO this is a play to get out of the Charger franchise. The Spanos family is probably among the worst of NFL ownership. They are notoriously cheap. I have no doubt that the Spanos family would trade Gordon if they receive a good enough offer. That family lives off the franchise. It is the family's major employer, with nepotism running rampant. They see every dollar spent on players is one less dollar for themselves. If there was no rule mandating a minimum level of cap spending they would spend as little as possible. That franchise does enough to tease with success but the true nature will come out once Rivers retires. Their window closes on or before 2022. In 2021 they will have several key players up for new contracts. There is no way they are going to pay them all. This is another thing Gordon is looking at.

Sit out until the last minute and play just enough to get credit for the year and move on. Eckler is a good RB but not elite. I've watched him a lot and to think he's a franchise level player is fooling yourself.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Chargers grant Melvin Gordon permission to seek trade

The Los Angeles Chargers have granted the representatives for disgruntled running back Melvin Gordon permission to seek a trade, his agent Damarius Bilbo told Terez A. Paylor of Yahoo Sports.

It was reported last week that contract talks haven't progressed as Gordon had hoped. The rusher has been away from the team throughout the summer and his holdout is expected to continue into the regular season unless he's given a new deal or traded.

General manager Tom Telesco expressed frustration Friday that the two sides have yet to work out a new agreement, saying, "I'm disappointed it has lasted this long."

The 26-year-old Gordon is entering the fifth and final year of his rookie contract. He reportedly rejected an offer from the Chargers that would've paid him $10 million annually, as he's seeking roughly $13 million in average annual value.

Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson will likely lead Anthony Lynn's backfield in Week 1.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Chargers grant Melvin Gordon permission to seek trade

The Los Angeles Chargers have granted the representatives for disgruntled running back Melvin Gordon permission to seek a trade, his agent Damarius Bilbo told Terez A. Paylor of Yahoo Sports.

It was reported last week that contract talks haven't progressed as Gordon had hoped. The rusher has been away from the team throughout the summer and his holdout is expected to continue into the regular season unless he's given a new deal or traded.

General manager Tom Telesco expressed frustration Friday that the two sides have yet to work out a new agreement, saying, "I'm disappointed it has lasted this long."

The 26-year-old Gordon is entering the fifth and final year of his rookie contract. He reportedly rejected an offer from the Chargers that would've paid him $10 million annually, as he's seeking roughly $13 million in average annual value.

Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson will likely lead Anthony Lynn's backfield in Week 1.

Redskins or Bucs. Maybe SF.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Texans sure could use him. They have the salary cap $$$ & no future draft capital.

I suspect the Chargers will demand something back - likely draft capital - in trade. No reason to give him away

He apparently was offered $10 million per for his contract. The devil is in the details, of course, but sitting out most of this season and getting only $2 million or so for playing the last third of the season means he will have cost himself $8 million. He might make that back by holding out - but it's possible he wouldn't - especially if he's not productive or gets injured at the end of the season. So he better hope some team is willing to give him a contract now as well as give the Chargers enough in trade.

fearsomefour

Legend
Spanos is a moron.
He had a fan base in San Diego.
They certainly could have worked something out there. He wanted a new stadium, so decided to move to LA and lease. A total jack ass.
Vegas would have made sense over LA too.
Chargers should have stayed in SD and the Raiders belong in Oakland where they have a rabid, loyal fan base. The stadium in Oakland is twenty years past its expiration date but, maybe something could have been done?
Anyway, it’s sort of strange/sad the state of these teams. But, they do it to themselves.
As for Gordon....yeah, he ain’t a top 4 back.
This whole I will sit out a year nonsense is just horrible advice. The one benefit is a guy can get truly healthy. But, they will never make the money back he is leaving on the table.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chargers always find a way to fail. They've been drafting well, this past draft too, but should have added a RB if they had the feeling Gordon wanted the big paycheck (I don't follow them of course but presume it wasn't a total surprise to them). Now they're in a spot where they can't agree on a contract but also can't really trade him without taking a big talent hit at the position.

If I was running the show there, though, I'd definitely trade him now and if from there I need to trade for a back I can trust just to eat the carries I'd do what I need to do.

If I were Dallas' GM, on the other hand, I'd work to get the RB locked up. Even though I hate his face, and dislike him generally speaking. His production and importance to the offense deserve compensation. And if his demands are out of whack, well, trade him. I don't understand holding on to players at that position like the Steelers did. $hit or get off the pot IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gordon should take the $10M and run to the bank...

1 of 4 seasons > 1,000 yds

4.0 career YPC

I’m not saying he’s a bad player; but he’s not delivered like the top guys.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Chargers suspend RB Gordon talks until after season

Melvin Gordon will not receive a new contract any time soon.

Los Angeles Chargers general manager Tom Telesco told reporters on a conference call Sunday that contract talks will be suspended until the conclusion of the 2019 season.

Gordon will play this season on the fifth-year option unless the running back can find a trade partner.

Around The NFL will have more on this shortly.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Just a sticky situation in general. But the Chargers still have good RB's behind him. Ekeler and Jackson had good years last year. Gonna be a long sit for Gordon if that's what he wants to do.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just a sticky situation in general. But the Chargers still have good RB's behind him. Ekeler and Jackson had good years last year. Gonna be a long sit for Gordon if that's what he wants to do.

IDK, Ekeler more of a receiver and I thought Jackson was a tad overrated, IMO, Chargers not the same without Gordon.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
IDK, Ekeler more of a receiver and I thought Jackson was a tad overrated, IMO, Chargers not the same without Gordon.

I agree with that. I was just looking at PFF. I was surprised to see they had Ekeler rated just as high as Gordon at Jackson is a 72. Thats still good if those ratings are accurate. Week 6 trade deadline is going to be interesting.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Chargers don't have many fans, so I doubt Spanos cares where they finish, he might even prefer losing for a better draft slot. Spanos is only in it for the money, everything else is secondary.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I just can't imagine anybody trading anything of value for him or wanting to pay him like he thinks he should be paid.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Gordon becomes a free agent even if he sits all year. Why should he play?

RBs generally get one shot at their career contract - if his leg falls off this year, he loses his.

Sit out and see what free agency brings next season.