McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Not sure about that, but a lot of short passes and carries went to Marshall Faulk. He was the key to the offense.
mike martz was as pass happy as any offensive coordinator you could find brother.

I honestly don't care but people claiming that that regime was more balanced on offense.. no way.

If I post McVay's run pass numbers vs vermeil/martz - no question in my mind mcvay runs the ball more - im sure the numbers would show that.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ams were 564 pass 431 rushing in 1999.
I just looked it up... Warner actually threw 499 passes, but you are technically correct that they passed more than they ran the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nobody wants to pay a RB nowadays but when you have a great one boy does it impact your offense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nobody wants to pay a RB nowadays but when you have a great one boy does it impact your offense.

That's why paying Gurley was the right decision. There was no way of knowing he would injure the knee that year.

His offense is half as potent without him.

Maybe Akers can get it to 80% of the Gurley offense.

jjab360

Legend
Vermeil's record with the Rams is a bit misleading.

Vermeil rebuilt the team from the dregs to Super Bowl champions. So no surprise they weren't very good his first two years. Then he was talked into retiring prematurely.

Had Vermeil continued coaching the Rams he would certainly have had a shot at a couple of more Super Bowl wins--- with the team he had already put together.
Vermeil took over a 6-10 team and went 5-11 his first year. McVay took over a 4-12 team and went 11-5 his first year. They both rebuilt teams, one just did it quicker.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vermeil took over a 6-10 team and went 5-11 his first year. McVay took over a 4-12 team and went 11-5 his first year. They both rebuilt teams, one just did it quicker.
To emphasize your point,
Vermeil took a 6-10 team and went 5-11, then 4-12
McVay took a 4-12 team went 11-5 then 13-3
One got progressively worse, another progressively better.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sometimes I think McVay is his own worst enemy. It's like he's so good at masking issues that he can squeeze more wins than he should out of a roster and it is one of the reasons why their approach works too IMO. Because McVay will generally keep you out of the early draft picks even when you have a down year roster.

Even if you stack a roster that is going to come up short it's still got a good chance to hit the playoffs and make some noise. I mean he's got his drawbacks for sure. But he's one hell of a head coach.

Also at this point if I am Snead I am going to make sure he's got enough RB talent every year. For this upcoming offseason yes we have Akers coming back (and hopefully for the playoffs where he gives us a huge shot in the arm) but regardless I'd be adding a RB to the group by midrounds who has some power and instincts, a meat 'n potato type back to ensure what we're seeing this season doesn't happen again. Because IMO the combo of our RB situation plus his over reliance on Stafford is not good. I'd get him the pieces every year to ensure he can balance shit.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sometimes I think McVay is his own worst enemy. It's like he's so good at masking issues that he can squeeze more wins than he should out of a roster and it is one of the reasons why their approach works too IMO. Because McVay will generally keep you out of the early draft picks even when you have a down year roster.

Even if you stack a roster that is going to come up short it's still got a good chance to hit the playoffs and make some noise. I mean he's got his drawbacks for sure. But he's one hell of a head coach.

Also at this point if I am Snead I am going to make sure he's got enough RB talent every year. For this upcoming offseason yes we have Akers coming back (and hopefully for the playoffs where he gives us a huge shot in the arm) but regardless I'd be adding a RB to the group by midrounds who has some power and instincts, a meat 'n potato type back to ensure what we're seeing this season doesn't happen again. Because IMO the combo of our RB situation plus his over reliance on Stafford is not good. I'd get him the pieces every year to ensure he can balance shit.
I feel like that could be said of a lot of offenses, and that they thought they were doing that with Akers and then Drafting Funk as a guy to develop.. in addition to Calais as a change of pace type guy and Jones as a developmental guy who would know the offense in an emergency.
They just got absolutely drilled at the RB position this year by injuries. It happens.

And, I still think you're right that they should add one again next year.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
To emphasize your point,
Vermeil took a 6-10 team and went 5-11, then 4-12
McVay took a 4-12 team went 11-5 then 13-3
One got progressively worse, another progressively better.....
Imo that's an oversimplification. But I'm not trying to argue the merits of McVay vs Vermeil. Seems to me to be a bit premature in any event.

Just pointing out my view about Dick Vermeil -- which is, a great coach and a great human being.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like that could be said of a lot of offenses, and that they thought they were doing that with Akers and then Drafting Funk as a guy to develop.. in addition to Calais as a change of pace type guy and Jones as a developmental guy who would know the offense in an emergency.
They just got absolutely drilled at the RB position this year by injuries. It happens.

And, I still think you're right that they should add one again next year.
I think we need a talent upgrade at RB. Funk was a nice shot, but his quick injury demonstrates what we already knew. Calais couldn't grab the job, he's not good enough. Basically at this point we have two RBs who get hurt in Akers and Hendy. Akers is a plus guy when he's healthy, but that's a concern on its own. Hendy has never been able to carry the load when called upon, he is only a change of pace and tbh not a noteworthy change of pace at that.

Rams need to invest in RB and instead of sticking with these little bastards who get dinged up bring in a guy who the offense can ride if we lose Akers. I'd go with a power option and then you have a redzone boost behind Akers or a guy who can take care of business with at least grounding the offense if Akers gets hurt again.

Michel... We're gonna find out what he's got.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think we need a talent upgrade at RB. Funk was a nice shot, but his quick injury demonstrates what we already knew. Calais couldn't grab the job, he's not good enough. Basically at this point we have two RBs who get hurt in Akers and Hendy. Akers is a plus guy when he's healthy, but that's a concern on its own. Hendy has never been able to carry the load when called upon, he is only a change of pace and tbh not a noteworthy change of pace at that.

Rams need to invest in RB and instead of sticking with these little bastards who get dinged up bring in a guy who the offense can ride if we lose Akers. I'd go with a power option and then you have a redzone boost behind Akers or a guy who can take care of business with at least grounding the offense if Akers gets hurt again.

Michel... We're gonna find out what he's got.

Hello- BUDDY POWELL.

well yeah okay. Who is Mekhi Sergeant. The Lil RB from Louisville is no longer on the roster.

I don’t understand the concern first off ? It’s funny how some fans don’t get where The Rams are coming from besides the Colosseum & St.Louis.

Calais was going to beat out Funk & where is Jones in all this ? Just draw to the dots & the picture becomes clearer.I will say a little eraser Mate might help.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

What's up with all the Mcvay hate I've been reading in here the last day?

He's the best thing that has ever happened to the Rams. So what if they have a few clunkers a year.

Man how quickly people forget.

First off isn’t there enough Mcvay threads around here. I’ll stick to the one I had awhile back.I’m not going to stray from it.

History will speak, for all the negatives ? I’ll just be like 2 negatives can cause a positive.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams need to invest in RB
Agreed. And I do not think Sony Michel will stick around next year. And why should he.. McVay never uses him. And I also would not be surprised if McVay uses one of his high draft picks (is that an oxymoron?) on a running back. Hopefully they can get a good one in the third or fourth round.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Here's a look at the picks the team officially owns in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Own draft picks

• 5th round pick
  • 7th round pick
  • 7th round pick (via Miami Dolphins from Aqib Talib trade)
Compensatory draft picks

• 3rd round comp pick (via Brad Holmes hiring)
  • 4th round comp pick (via Browns signing John Johnson)
  • 6th round comp (via 49ers signing Samson Ebukam)
  • 6th round comp (via Seahawks signing Gerald Everett)
  • 6th round comp (via Browns signing Troy Hill)
https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/rams-nfl-draft-2022-draft-picks-after-trades

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
That's why paying Gurley was the right decision. There was no way of knowing he would injure the knee that year.

His offense is half as potent without him.

Maybe Akers can get it to 80% of the Gurley offense.

Yes sir
Hope so

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Here's a look at the picks the team officially owns in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Own draft picks

• 5th round pick
  • 7th round pick
  • 7th round pick (via Miami Dolphins from Aqib Talib trade)
Compensatory draft picks

• 3rd round comp pick (via Brad Holmes hiring)
  • 4th round comp pick (via Browns signing John Johnson)
  • 6th round comp (via 49ers signing Samson Ebukam)
  • 6th round comp (via Seahawks signing Gerald Everett)
  • 6th round comp (via Browns signing Troy Hill)
https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/rams-nfl-draft-2022-draft-picks-after-trades
So that would be eight total picks but none in the top-100.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Name
Jack L Burgin
I love Vermeil but he only coached the team for 3 years and had a losing overall record. He was not a better HC for the Rams than McVay has been.

Saying the SB is the only thing that matters is like saying Trent Dilfer was better than Dan Marino.
You also fail to mention he had to rebuild the Rams when he got hired. So that is a big thing to consider that he took them from having one of the worst win / lose records to a SB Champion in only 3 seasons.