McVay said he was suprised by all the cheering when the packers scored.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That stadium was packed. Totally packed.
It holds well over 100k for SC games.
It’s embarrassing that people are using this to discredit the team.
4 major sporting events going on simultaneously including a WS game. Has that ever happened before?
C'mon DB... I think you know better.

If the Giants were undefeated and playing Green Bay and...
* The Knicks had Lebron and were playing that night while the Nets were playing in Brooklyn
* The Yankees were in the World Series against LA at Yankee Stadium
* The Devils, Rangers and Islanders were all home..

If all that happened, I guarantee Metlife would be sold out and those Giants fans wouldn't have sold out like Rams fans did yesterday. I'd bet, maybe 25% would be Packers fans.

Same thing if it were NE... or PHI... those fans are dedicated to football and their teams.. not revenue.

I've been in DAL for over 25 years now. Their fans are terrible.. as in "sell their tix for the money".
Went to a PITT game a few years ago... similar to The Coliseum yesterday. Two good friends of mine pick the best team that travels, sells their tickets for the entire amount of their season tickets. They don't care that it might be a great game and DAL might need a win... they sell out.

The funny thing is... it's usually the games involving these "in demand" tickets that are the ones the Rams really need to win and are going to be difficult. In other words, it's those games where home field means the most.

But, season ticket holders sell out.

Bottom line is: What's more important to you? Money or The Rams? Seems like approximately 40% (I'd guess higher, actually) chose money.

Fans of money, I suppose. Maybe we should call them the Los Angeles Mint. :LOL::(

fearsomefour

Legend
A lot of reason for it and it won't be the last time it happens.
Will be less so if the team wins and are in a smaller building, but, it will still happen.
City of transplants, baseball/Lakers town, people sell tickets to make some extra money etc.
The Rams suffered the first hit in fandom when the wicked witch moved the team from LA to Orange County. It's not the same to long time residents. The, gone from the region for almost a quarter century.
Also, a good deal of those fans probably live in So Cal. The Pack have had back to back HOF QBs and have won for years. A bunch of those fans became fans when Favre was finishing up there, bandwagon f***.
Just wait until the Browns turn it around....there will be people everywhere claiming they always were Brown fans.
It's lame, but, it's how LA is and has been forever.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The main thing to remember is kids like myself in 1968.
I'd heard about the Rams, I figured I should like the Rams because they were my local team.
My dad took me to the Rams - Giants game at the Coli.

We were down at the half and it looked like it was going to be a loss but the Rams came back in the second half and won the game.
The excitement of it hooked me for life.
Yesterday, the excitement of that game hooked a thousand more kids like it did me in '68.

It looks like to me every game at the Coliseum is bringing a little more excitement.

That's all you can ask for when you consider the environment;
Fans are still mad at the Rams for moving to begin with.
Tons of out-of-towners that already have a team.
The fact that there IS a lot to do out there.

That place was packed for a Rams game like it hasn't been packed in a long, long time.

It's all moving forward perfectly, in my opinion.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams decided to offer up 10,000 extra seats..........and McVay is surprised that the Packers fans were in heavy attendance LOL.........ok. Who did he think those tickets were for? What did he expect? Kroenke decided to open the gates for Packers fans because of the $$$. If they weren't showing up those 10,000 seats don't get put on the market.

If anyone thinks this is going to change I have news for you. Get used to it.

There will be no home field advantage IMO, the market isn't right for it. Like Las Vegas, Tampa, Jacksonville and Miami opposing fans will travel there, and especially fans from cold weather cities.

The Rams have been back in LA going into three seasons and last year they took the NFL by storm out of nowhere they turned into the best offense in the NFL with the DPOY, OPOY and HCOTY..........this year 7-0 and the Packers fans almost outnumbered Rams fans.

Anyone thinking this will change with the new stadium is IMO totally wrong. Opposing fans are flocking to LA to go to a dumpy stadium in the middle of renovations. They will come to the new place in the same or higher numbers for the novelty of it, to see the stadium. So it'll get worse not better.

As long as NFL games cost huge money to attend this will happen. Many hometown fans that would love to attend can't justify dropping hundreds of dollars 8 times a year. So opposing teams fans who are able to afford the weekend trip take their place.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The main thing to remember is kids like myself in 1968.
I'd heard about the Rams, I figured I should like the Rams because they were my local team.
My dad took me to the Rams - Giants game at the Coli.

We were down at the half and it looked like it was going to be a loss but the Rams came back in the second half and won the game.
The excitement of it hooked me for life.
Yesterday, the excitement of that game hooked a thousand more kids like it did me in '68.

It looks like to me every game at the Coliseum is bringing a little more excitement.

That's all you can ask for when you consider the environment;
Fans are still mad at the Rams for moving to begin with.
Tons of out-of-towners that already have a team.
The fact that there IS a lot to do out there.

That place was packed for a Rams game like it hasn't been packed in a long, long time.

It's all moving forward perfectly, in my opinion.

From a perspective from outside LA, it's not surprising that after a move a team has to win over their new fans, especially in an area not lacking in other sports and entertainment. I suspect that the Rams are doing so. IMO, they have the most exciting sports team in southern California, with great players, scoring, big plays on D and special teams, coaching, a new stadium in the works, and media stars waiting to happen. They have a great tradition which will resonate more and more as people notice how good they are now. It just takes a little time to build it up again. The Rams are doing a pretty good job getting the ball rolling.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
This is the first time I actually felt kind of bad about selling the tickets (but not too bad, since I got some chump to give me $750 more than I paid for them). I saw my seats on TV (they're pretty close to the field), and they were clearly filled with Packer fans. Honestly, watching that game, if it weren't for the pseudo-Rams logos on the field, I'd have thought it was a Packer home game.

I mostly just hope that most people are like me and just not going to the games as long as they're in the Coliseum, and then will show up when the new stadium is done. It'd be kind of sad if this team was largely unsupported as it is now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO, a high percentage of season seats are NOT owned by Ram fans.

I can't say what % but I would agree it's a sizable portion........ticket brokers are making a lot of money off of events/games/concerts and it won't ever stop.

75,822. For Rams games it's pegged at 70K, they added 10K for this game. And there were A LOT of Packers fans........a lot.

Hopefully the new stadium will rectify this issue.

No the new stadium will make it worse because it ads ANOTHER reason for a fan to go to LA to see a game.

Rams won their 8th straight game yesterday and I've had 710am (Rams flagship here in LA) on since 5am (now 7:15) and they haven't given 3 minutes to the Rams.

What this tells me is that there isn't interest, and listeners want to hear about the Lakers and Dodgers more than the Rams. If they wanted to hear about the Rams they would be calling and texting and the Program Director would have the on air personalities change topics and talk about the Rams.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'mon DB... I think you know better.

If the Giants were undefeated and playing Green Bay and...
* The Knicks had Lebron and were playing that night while the Nets were playing in Brooklyn
* The Yankees were in the World Series against LA at Yankee Stadium
* The Devils, Rangers and Islanders were all home..

If all that happened, I guarantee Metlife would be sold out and those Giants fans wouldn't have sold out like Rams fans did yesterday. I'd bet, maybe 25% would be Packers fans.

Same thing if it were NE... or PHI... those fans are dedicated to football and their teams.. not revenue.

I've been in DAL for over 25 years now. Their fans are terrible.. as in "sell their tix for the money".
Went to a PITT game a few years ago... similar to The Coliseum yesterday. Two good friends of mine pick the best team that travels, sells their tickets for the entire amount of their season tickets. They don't care that it might be a great game and DAL might need a win... they sell out.

The funny thing is... it's usually the games involving these "in demand" tickets that are the ones the Rams really need to win and are going to be difficult. In other words, it's those games where home field means the most.

But, season ticket holders sell out.

Bottom line is: What's more important to you? Money or The Rams? Seems like approximately 40% (I'd guess higher, actually) chose money.

Fans of money, I suppose. Maybe we should call them the Los Angeles Mint. :LOL::(
Thing is, that has never happened.
I will say this though, getting tickets to Giants games is sure easier in the last decade than it was in the 80's and 90's
Not sure how to compare the two

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Meh... I went to games in Seattle during and slightly after the GSOT days and the Rams fans were deafening at times.

I’ve been to Tampa for a game and there were probably 30% Rams fans and we were terrible at the time.

I went to the season opener in the Lou and there were a shit ton of shecocks fans there.

I have been to Oakland for a couple games and it was one of the few venues I felt severely outnumbered, yet they are moving.

I went to a game in SD and it was about a 50/50 mix.

I watched the Pitt/KC game and there was a huge number of red jerseys in the crowd and empty seats.

It’s popular talk bullshit to point it out in LA as it happens virtually EVERYWHERE.

Football fans travel. There’s only 16 games so each one is a big deal and adding a few hundred to your trip to a destination city is no big deal for vacationers timing their trips.

Watch a Georgia/Florida game. You telling me there’s not a pretty even mix? Go to a USC/ND game. Same thing.

Basketball has 82 games and baseball 162. It’s just not that hot of a ticket and even if fans travel for games, they are far more spread out through the season. Yet Dodger stadium consistently leads the league or is at the top in attendance.

The Lakers/Trailblazers games always had a huge Laker base at them. Not so much when Portland came to LA.

Frankly, the story is old and stale and it only serves to make me roll my eyes when they bring it up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It holds well over 100k for SC games.
It’s embarrassing that people are using this to discredit the team.
4 major sporting events going on simultaneously including a WS game. Has that ever happened before?

Of course it does...did I say differently? Who is discrediting the team, because we saw what we saw on the field. I'm not going to stick my head in the sand about this. As for capacity now, there is this article:

"As good as the Rams have been in 2017, they’ve had trouble packing fans into the seats at their home stadium. Those criticisms have been overblown, though, considering that the Rams capped the stadium’s seating capacity at 65,000 this season. That wasn’t the case a year ago in the team’s first season back in L.A.

That restriction could be lifted a bit if the Rams make the playoffs and host a game at the Coliseum, chief operating officer Kevin Demoff said Wednesday. According to Alden Gonzalez of ESPN, the Rams could raise the seating capacity to 70,000 fans for the postseason — but not much more beyond that."

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/21/nfl-los-angeles-rams-coliseum-playoff-capacity-tickets/

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course it does...did I say differently? Who is discrediting the team, because we saw what we saw on the field. I'm not going to stick my head in the sand about this. As for capacity now, there is this article:

"As good as the Rams have been in 2017, they’ve had trouble packing fans into the seats at their home stadium. Those criticisms have been overblown, though, considering that the Rams capped the stadium’s seating capacity at 65,000 this season. That wasn’t the case a year ago in the team’s first season back in L.A.

That restriction could be lifted a bit if the Rams make the playoffs and host a game at the Coliseum, chief operating officer Kevin Demoff said Wednesday. According to Alden Gonzalez of ESPN, the Rams could raise the seating capacity to 70,000 fans for the postseason — but not much more beyond that."

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/21/nfl-los-angeles-rams-coliseum-playoff-capacity-tickets/
What was the attendance for the USC game the night before?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Not really a shocker to me. I expected tons of Pack fans. Hell, back in the 80's in Anaheim I remember going to pack games and there being tons. That's when they seriously sucked. Lots of Transplants, plus GB traveling well, and just people in general when choosing a team in a city where there isn't one the Pack were a solid choice. I have a lot of Pack fan friends here in socal. Yeah, It was sad to see them all there, the guys sitting next to me flew out from WI. At the end of the day hopefully it'll change as we garner more fans, especially the youngsters who now have a home team.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
i'm guessing the rams fans selling their tickets made more money collectively than stan.

it's an embarressment to all involved and the team deserves better.

Again, the colosseum sucks. "If" you haven't been their you have no clue how uncomfortable and inconvenient that piece of shit is. If I had season tickets it would be to make money off the yokels from out of town. I would sit home and enjoy watching my rams play in comfort. I go to one game a year and have turned down free tickets. It's all I can stand. You can say I don't support my team. Whatever. I have been a rams fan since 1969, bought jerseys, mugs, hats and other shit. lived through there moves. If we prefer to make money tough shit.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It’s popular talk bullcrap to point it out in LA as it happens virtually EVERYWHERE.

Yes it does, and in some areas more and even much more than others.

As you pointed out Rams fans were in big numbers in Tampa. But they won't be in as large numbers in say Buffalo or Chicago in November. This is just something the team and fans will have to deal with going forward. The weather, and in the near future the stadium, are going to draw large amounts of opposing fans. There is NO WAY around it.

Unless Rams fans decide to pop open the wallet and pony up marked up prices for tickets the stadium is going to be one quarter to one half opposing fans.

Wait until the Raiders move..........Las Vegas is the biggest tourist draw in the nation at about 40 million visitors annually. Disney here in FL gets about 20 million a year to give some perspective.

Raiders games could very well end up like road games because that market will draw opposing fans like no other. Not even Miami, LA, SF or NY can rival Vegas for a weekend getaway. And in part because it can be so affordable to fly and stay there it makes buying the tickets easier, the bundled hotel and air packages are not that expensive. Going to LA, NY, SF or Miami is very expensive. Opposing fans are going to flock to that stadium as a perfect way to cap off a three day weekend.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
I'm really not trying to start crap.. because I love Cali... my cousins live out there.

But at some point I'd like to see some Seattle like home chaos.

Didn't like all the loud packers cheering.. and McVay was very subtle about it but you could tell he didn't like it either. He came back and tried to downplay it later because that's his style.

And again don't get me wrong.. being from the midwest I still love them in Cali, but I sure hope the home environment develops....

yeah you and me both,I also hated it but it doesnt really surprise me though.The packers have a national following these days same as the cowboys and raiders do PLUS there are an awful lot of packer fans out there in cali same as with cowboys fans and unfortunately,they have not converted to Rams fans yet.may take a long time to. but yeah that pissed me off that they took over.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.