McVay Confident In Offensive Line; Excited For Development Of Austin Corbett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I agree on Whitworth, felt, the Rams would have been better off making a trade for Trent Williams, but Whit is great in the locker room and ensured they didn't have to rush Noteboom back. I like bringing Blythe back because he will be the starting Center and if he plays well, the Rams very well could extend him, if not, they will have to sign another in 2021 or focus on the draft and take Creed Humphrey from Oklahoma in the 2nd Round.

Yeah, it was the right move. AW isn't done yet but he's getting close. Blythe played well taking over for Allen. But the key is, no learning curve. A particular good bit of luck since this current situation could have put other free agents and the OL behind the 8 ball. No need for AW and Blythe to learn via video lessons. Let's face it, they don't have to be a top 5 or even top 10 OL. They just have to open enough holes for Akers, Henderson and Brown (making the play action lethal) and pass block well. The Rams can deal with 2021 when it's time and from what I've seen, they will have a lot more cap space.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you just state that the Rams started two rookies OL'ers on the right side RG/RT the last 7 games of the year & the NFL world did not end?:oops:
Sure lol. And I know you used blue font there but the issue is what McVay had to do to make that work is unsustainable and incompatible with being a playoff team.

The 9ers matchup is a great example of this. Our first game vs the 9ers will be in week six which means it will probably be a key game in the divisional race (assuming we handle business in a challenging opening stretch of games). It will be a prime time game in SF. Now last season in our two games our OL got trucked earlier in the season in a game in which the Rams got rolled and basically lost the division, and in the second game McVay drew up a heavy-movement pocket that helped the Rams to almost steal a win. In week six the 9ers will be ready for those boot actions. Will the Rams' OL be ready to open holes in the run game and give Goff a chance to do his thing?

Well since I'm in hope mode now... I hope so! :horns: :biggrin: :horns:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every NFL Team's Smartest Move of the 2020 Offseason
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2893315-every-nfl-teams-smartest-move-of-the-2020-offseason

Los Angeles Rams: Re-Signing Andrew Whitworth

1590591208295.png

The Rams parted with premier players like Gurley, Cooks and pass-rusher Dante Fowler Jr. this offseason, but they did manage to retain starting left tackle Andrew Whitworth. The team re-signed the 38-year-old to a reasonable three-year, $30 million deal.

While Whitworth may no longer be the upper-echelon tackle he once was—he was responsible for 14 penalties in 2019, according to Pro Football Focus—he still knows how to keep a quarterback clean. He allowed just one sack this past season.

His return will be huge for quarterback Jared Goff, both because Whitworth is a great pass protector and because the Rams had no enticing alternatives. The free-agent market was bare at left tackle, and Los Angeles didn't have a first-round pick because of the Jalen Ramsey trade.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree on Whitworth, felt, the Rams would have been better off making a trade for Trent Williams, but Whit is great in the locker room and ensured they didn't have to rush Noteboom back. I like bringing Blythe back because he will be the starting Center and if he plays well, the Rams very well could extend him, if not, they will have to sign another in 2021 or focus on the draft and take Creed Humphrey from Oklahoma in the 2nd Round.

I believe The Rams Need to just to develop The Players they have..

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO, that's how they ended up with an interior OLine of Noteboom, Allen, & Blythe. It's hard to imagine that a legit competition netted those results.

Actually the playing time for Edwards & Evans really helped there development imo.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
IMO, that's how they ended up with an interior OLine of Noteboom, Allen, & Blythe. It's hard to imagine that a legit competition netted those results.
I don't know dude, I see two different situations.

With Noteboom and Allen, you had two players with 0 starts which means zero real-time tape of them in a game situation.
The O line coach analyzes EVERY play of every game of EVERY player in the off-season and figures out their strengths and weaknesses and what they did wrong and what they did right to help coach them up.

Evans and Edwards now have 14(?) games to analyze.

Noteboom and Allen had zero tapes to analyze at those positions on the pro level.

During the entire tenure of Fisher, I kept pointing out all the screw-ups he was doing in trying to build an offensive line and unfortunately I was right.

I have not felt this good about an offensive line coming together over the course of a season since McVay brought in Whitworth and Sullivan, (and Kromer).

Boudreau sucked. :zany:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know dude, I see two different situations.

With Noteboom and Allen, you had two players with 0 starts which means zero real-time tape of them in a game situation.
The O line coach analyzes EVERY play of every game of EVERY player in the off-season and figures out their strengths and weaknesses and what they did wrong and what they did right to help coach them up.

Evans and Edwards now have 14(?) games to analyze.

Noteboom and Allen had zero tapes to analyze at those positions on the pro level.

During the entire tenure of Fisher, I kept pointing out all the screw-ups he was doing in trying to build an offensive line and unfortunately I was right.

I have not felt this good about an offensive line coming together over the course of a season since McVay brought in Whitworth and Sullivan, (and Kromer).

Boudreau sucked. :zany:
I am with you on the tone that this 2020 OL cadre is the best overall collection of talent in the last 2 decades. The issue is getting the parts in the right positions to build on.

Now with the 2019 season in the rearview mirror.............the Kromer 2019 initial interior OL was :poop:. I would not want to build on it. Why did Kromer go with that? One could say that what Snead & McVay gave him. It is obvious that I have real issues the plans of patching & drive bye repair jobs on a OL that lacks foundational OL'ers.

If Allen is not foundational material he needs to be released ASAP & let better prospects get the time & opportunity that is present now in the Rams center post as I have posted above

Neither Noteboom & Blythe as starting OG's was foundational material:palm: On Allen .......most currently have him out of the NFL before 2020 concludes. Those 3 Kromer decisions were failures ....no other way to put it even without the injuries. I have no ideal what was Kromers plan with that initial 2019 interior OL.

Noteboom is certainly salvageable but now has a reconstructed knee to compound his journey back to work his way back into his past 2018 position @ the OT posts. LT Whitworth was once an exceptional level quality Michelin defender LTX tire but the tread on him is near gone almost to the point where you can see the air inside. Is Noteboom Whitworth's replacement?

Blythe might yet be a serviceable steady average working center that would need good OL'ers next to him to keep him effective. Both starting Edwards & Corbett after starting the last half of 2019 do appear to be foundational OG's to utilize to get a good operating OL.

This is in year four now for Snead/McVay/ Kromer building an OL. I will be upset if Kromer continues his resolute desires to switch-move- flip-shift & twist OL'ers like these two OG's (Edwards/Corbett) just for the purpose of upgrading their general use for other positions........as a fan I am tired of this practice. Seems to me we need them as excellent starting OG's NOT working like hell to have fully functional highly versatile OL'ers.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah of course I didn't like that starting lineup either for 2019.
As I have mentioned repeatedly, Ad nauseam, I would have moved blithe over to center from the get-go I can understand why he tried Noteboom there but I would have had a camp battle between Edwards and Evans for that Right Guard spot.

It probably still would have been pretty weak because Noteboom was not ready/able for a guard position.

I see everybody on our offensive line now as being very stable or an up-and-comer other than Whitworth who might continue to slowly diminish from age.