McVay Confident In Offensive Line; Excited For Development Of Austin Corbett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
1589907419215.png

The Los Angeles Rams were able to address a number of their notable voids on the roster through the 2020 NFL Draft.

Many assumed the offensive line would be a point of emphasis for Los Angeles heading into the 2020 NFL season. Of their nine picks, only the final one was relegated to adding another potential piece to the offensive line after taking Clemson guard Tremayne Anchrum in the seventh round.

This may have come as a surprise to many considering all the struggles they endured up front during the 2019 campaign. However, it seems head coach Sean McVay is confident that the pieces are already in place.

McVay feels one of the few silver linings that came from the injury-plagued offensive line was that it gave the coaching staff a chance to better evaluate the depth they had, via J.B. Long of the team’s official website:
Last year was beneficial for us, in spite of having some of the injuries and shuffling things around,” Sean McVay said. “You got a chance to really evaluate a lot of guys playing in real games that count and you can see that there’s a lot of upside.”
McVay pointed out their in-season acquisition of guard Austin Corbett as an example of a player that could be poised for a big offseason under offensive line coach Aaron Kromer:
“You look at Austin,” McVay says of the 33rd overall selection from two years ago. “You say, alright, what does it look like if you give him an opportunity to have a training camp and some guidance under Coach Kromer’s tutelage.”
Corbett had been a second-round pick by the Cleveland Browns in the 2018 NFL Draft. Unfortunately, he struggled to find his footing in Cleveland and they ultimately jumped at the chance to part ways with him in exchange for a fifth-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. McVay’s comments indicate that he is optimistic Corbett can emerge into a bonafide starter with a full offseason in the system under his belt.

Aside from Corbett, Austin Blythe was also able to take advantage of his opportunity by making the transition from right guard to center and this spurred the Rams to re-sign him to a one-year deal this offseason. Right guard David Edwards also made the switch from the left side of the line to potentially etch out a starting role for himself heading into the 2020 NFL season.

Although it remains to be seen how the rest of the pieces will fall in place, it is clear that McVay is confident that there is more than enough talent in this group to spark a potential resurgence.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I know this...OL Coach Aaron Kromer liked Austin Corbett in the 2018 draft, so now, let's hope Corbett added some strength and is ready to be a road grader come 2020. Also Austin Blythe gets quite a bit of criticism on the board, led by yours truly, however, it was night & day after Blythe took over at Center for Brian Allen and I'm not sure what the plan is at Center in 2021, but Blythe knows the offense and his line calls are spot on, so IMO, I hope that keeps Brian Allen on the pine.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I know this...OL Coach Aaron Kromer liked Austin Corbett in the 2018 draft, so now, let's hope Corbett added some strength and is ready to be a road grader come 2020. Also Austin Blythe gets quite a bit of criticism on the board, led by yours truly, however, it was night & day after Blythe took over at Center for Brian Allen and I'm not sure what the plan is at Center in 2021, but Blythe knows the offense and his line calls are spot on, so IMO, I hope that keeps Brian Allen on the pine.
Blythes' ability to come in healthy and stay healthy is key imo.
Blyth should be OK at C, but if he goes down, we are in trouble.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Blythes' ability to come in healthy and stay healthy is key imo.
Blyth should be OK at C, but if he goes down, we are in trouble.

I agree unless one of the other Centers on the roster besides Brian Allen shows anything.

1. Coleman Shelton
  2. Nate Trewyn
  3. Cohl Cabral

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk for me it’s just too many questions about the oline. This teams still have a lot of weapons and I expect the defense to be better but it will only work if the offensive line can find a way to play even average this year

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree unless one of the other Centers on the roster besides Brian Allen shows anything.

1. Coleman Shelton
  2. Nate Trewyn
  3. Cohl Cabral
As of right now, they're unknown.
Which scares the hell out of me. Lol

Its helpful that our young corp got some valuable experience last year, but they did have a lot of TE help.

If our 5 guys up front can't hold their own, that means Kupp will be coming to the bench more for 12 personel. Which isn't favorable.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As of right now, they're unknown.
Which scares the hell out of me. Lol

Shelton got sometime and he's bigger at 6'4 300lbs and played at Washington, so, maybe he makes a jump and beats out Brian Allen to backup Blythe.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Shelton got sometime and he's bigger at 6'4 300lbs and played at Washington, so, maybe he makes a jump and beats out Brian Allen to backup Blythe.
That would be a blessing.
I had hopes for Allen. He just couldn't hold his own. Which is unfortunate.
Maybe there is still room for Allen to grow as well. I just don't want to waste another season trying to find out.
I expect the coaching staff to pay VERY close attention to this group going into camp.
I also hope we get to see this unit play as a whole in some preseason games.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know what? Maybe? I was pretty meh about getting Corbett last year. He did come from a dysfunctional organization like the Browns, but you would think that a team who spent a 2nd rounder on a OG and they decided to offload him for a 5th? That says to me that they thought he was garbage, and now we are depending on him to pan out as a starter That seems dangerous to me. There's a whole lotta of hope about this Oline....ugh..

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know what? Maybe? I was pretty meh about getting Corbett last year. He did come from a dysfunctional organization like the Browns, but you would think that a team who spent a 2nd rounder on a OG and they decided to offload him for a 5th? That says to me that they thought he was garbage, and now we are depending on him to pan out as a starter That seems dangerous to me. There's a whole lotta of hope about this Oline....ugh..
I know I have voiced this before but I felt I should again throw this out LoyalRam.... From what I know on the Browns' situation that Austin Corbett arrived in back in 2018 ....AC was selected to help fill the void from the retired all pro long time starting LT Joe Thomas. AC did play LT post @ Nevada for 4 seasons however he is really lacking in the needed length to play OT in the NFL the dumb Browns should have known this. :zany:.

When AC arrived the best Brown starting OL'ers in 2018 was starting 2 time pro bowl LG Joel Bitonio. Next best was JC Tretter @ OC & then Kevin Zeitler @ RG. Browns was also inserted AC to compete with 1st round pick Kevin Zeitler. Kevin Zeitler has just signed a five-year, $60 million contract in 2017 making him the highest paid RG in the NFL when AC arrived Zeitler had started over 100 NFL gms.

Browns then tried AC @ center post where a 5 yr veteran JC Tretter who had started 39 NFL games for the Packers & Browns. Tretter has started every game @ OC for the Browns the last 3 seasons. The Brown also signed Tretter to 2 back to back 3 yr contracts.

So AC being able to find a starting post in 2018 & early 2019 @ LG/ RG & OC would have been a very hard task IMO. I do not believe the Browns thought AC was garbage but his best playing NFL position was @ OG & the Browns had those two post well covered plus they had just signed their starting OC to a new 3 yr contract. Their issues were @ the two OT posts where GRob was starting.

By the way the Browns utilized their top 10 first round 2020 draft pick on an LT Jedrick Wills, Alabama.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I know I have voiced this before but I felt I should again throw this out LoyalRam.... From what I know on the Browns' situation that Austin Corbett arrived in back in 2018 ....AC was selected to help fill the void from the retired all pro long time starting LT Joe Thomas. AC did play LT post @ Nevada for 4 seasons however he is really lacking in the needed length to play OT in the NFL the dumb Browns should have known this. :zany:.

When AC arrived the best Brown starting OL'ers in 2018 was starting 2 time pro bowl LG Joel Bitonio. Next best was JC Tretter @ OC & then Kevin Zeitler @ RG. Browns was also inserted AC to compete with 1st round pick Kevin Zeitler. Kevin Zeitler has just signed a five-year, $60 million contract in 2017 making him the highest paid RG in the NFL when AC arrived Zeitler had started over 100 NFL gms.

Browns then tried AC @ center post where a 5 yr veteran JC Tretter who had started 39 NFL games for the Packers & Browns. Tretter has started every game @ OC for the Browns the last 3 seasons. The Brown also signed Tretter to 2 back to back 3 yr contracts.

So AC being able to find a starting post in 2018 & early 2019 @ LG/ RG & OC would have been a very hard task IMO. I do not believe the Browns thought AC was garbage but his best playing NFL position was @ OG & the Browns had those two post well covered plus they had just signed their starting OC to a new 3 yr contract. Their issues were @ the two OT posts where GRob was starting.

By the way the Browns utilized their top 10 first round 2020 draft pick on an LT Jedrick Wills, Alabama.
All great points.
The Browns are the Browns, but their oline is actually pretty good.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Just to add insult to injury to you love he was #33 one player away from being taken in the 1st Rd.

I am not passing judgement but they unloaded him pretty quickly and at a significant loss in draft capital. They can't be that stupid unless he was a 100% non scheme fit and they thought they could put a square peg in a round hole. Seems awfully suspect, but the Rams drafted Brian Quick at #33 a player most felt was a 4th rounder at best.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
It’s pretty common for teams to trade away young players for less than they are worth. Maybe he didn’t fit their blocking scheme or was slow to learn his role. Maybe there were better or equal players at his position on the roster and there wasn’t room for him. It happens.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Corbett was beaten out in Cleveland each season by JAGs. First season it was the juggernaut Desmond Harrison, and the second season it was the dynamic duo Kush and Kalis (after Zeitler was dealt).

Now I do think it was fucking retarded to play him at LT his first camp. Even Joe Thomas weighed in on that and said he's going to be an interior guy in the NFL.

After he joined our OL he was clearly better in pass pro than the run game, although there were a couple games he struggled in pass pro (queue him up @ Arizona in week 13 for example). So there's hope that he can help us and right now I consider him a solid pass pro OG. But he's going to need a lot of growth in the run game to remove himself from JAGhood. His run game performance needs to improve.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd personally try to start Corbett at center and have him compete with Blythe. Allen is an afterthought for me; he needs to recover from Covid-19 before I trust him to play for us.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'll be surprised if our two most penalized players from last year are still starting come mid 2020.

Oh, and those two are long time vets at critical positions .

Whit and Hav.

McVay better have some unpredictable and creative play.calling to protect those two.