McVay Confident In Offensive Line; Excited For Development Of Austin Corbett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm predicting that if Allen is healthy he's the starter at C. Blythe continued to show his lack of athleticism at C. If he couldn't master RG how does he suddenly become a "serviceable" center? Center is one of the most difficult positions to master in the NFL. Yup they loved Blythe so much he was shown the door and only brought back because of the uncertainly of things due to the virus. Yup he was brought back on a one year deal.

If O'Connell plays a power gap scheme Blythe is a very poor fit. He simply struggles on the second level worse than he plays at the LOS. I guess people missed how when trying to pull he tripped over his own feet and landed on his face and his missed block was the guy that made the tackle.

Shelton is a better fit if Allen can't play yet. I've watched this kid and he's got enough mobility to get to the second level and make blocks. If Allen can't go which I don't think will be the case, people can't assume a failed RG is automatically going to assume the starting C position. If there is a fair competition IMO there is no way Blythe beats out Shelton. Remember, the Rams let Blythe go and at the same time re-signed Shelton.

Also, the LG is Corbett and it's his start to lose. His issues were technique related and that's something good coaching can correct. He plays with a nasty streak and that's exactly what you want from your LG. IMO the Ram's projected o-line of the future is a good one. Kromer just needs to move Evans to RG where they drafted him to play and Edwards to OT where he's more comfortable. Both Whitworth and Havenstein will be gone in 2022 if they can hang on that long. Both need to really step up their play and IMO it's not the middle that is the problem on the O-line. It's the two vets outside at LT and RT that are the weak links. Whitworth's decline was significant and startling. Havenstein's decline was predictable.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think when the books are written on 2020 Corbett is a surprise we point to.

Thought that before this article.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Corbett homer

tenor.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Havenstein regains his game, we're going to have a damn good line. That's my feeling.
If we're going to contend we definitely need Hav to be the 2018 Hav. That would give us a powerful strong side run game with him and Edwards, but it also means that Evans can work on being that depth LT or at least competing for it. I like Evans for the record but he's got a lot more to prove IMO than Edwards, if he ends up being our RT we're going to have an adjustment period.

Also in spite of all the disdain for Allen I see him competing as starting Center. Most have written him off but he did grade out quite well in the run game he just needs to settle down on the calls and not be in Jared's fucking lap in pass pro. The fact we have Blythe at Center virtually ensures there will be competition so I hope Allen's ready because we could use him if he can improve.

Basically we have a lot of IFs with the line. But at this point I'm done complaining and I'm in full "hope" mode. :)

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be a blessing.
I had hopes for Allen. He just couldn't hold his own. Which is unfortunate.
Maybe there is still room for Allen to grow as well. I just don't want to waste another season trying to find out.
I expect the coaching staff to pay VERY close attention to this group going into camp.
I also hope we get to see this unit play as a whole in some preseason games.
Yeah I’m thinking they should play at least 2 to 3 quarters in every game in the preseason

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We’ve currently got 14 OL players on our roster.

And that’s not counting the rookie Anchrum.

Eight of these are for the interior OL.

I feel pretty sure that Kromer will come up with 5 quality starters from this group.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I can't be the only one who really thinks that being offloaded by the Browns means he might actually have potential, can I? I mean, they started G Rob got, what...2 years?

Whatever talent evaluation the Browns have going on clearly sucks or they would be better. And I don't care if it's just that they have a trash scheme and it won't work. Because when they don't want a player it means that he's not going to play well in a trash scheme. It doesn't mean he'll play well in a regular scheme, but it's better than knowing he plays like trash.

In summation, the Browns are trash and by not fitting in with them it gives a better than average cast off's chance of being okay.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree unless one of the other Centers on the roster besides Brian Allen shows anything.

1. Coleman Shelton
  2. Nate Trewyn
  3. Cohl Cabral

Tremayne From Clemson might be in the mix ?? His size says it is a Excellent spot for him. He is said to be a smart leader type.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I know I have voiced this before but I felt I should again throw this out LoyalRam.... From what I know on the Browns' situation that Austin Corbett arrived in back in 2018 ....AC was selected to help fill the void from the retired all pro long time starting LT Joe Thomas. AC did play LT post @ Nevada for 4 seasons however he is really lacking in the needed length to play OT in the NFL the dumb Browns should have known this. :zany:.

When AC arrived the best Brown starting OL'ers in 2018 was starting 2 time pro bowl LG Joel Bitonio. Next best was JC Tretter @ OC & then Kevin Zeitler @ RG. Browns was also inserted AC to compete with 1st round pick Kevin Zeitler. Kevin Zeitler has just signed a five-year, $60 million contract in 2017 making him the highest paid RG in the NFL when AC arrived Zeitler had started over 100 NFL gms.

Browns then tried AC @ center post where a 5 yr veteran JC Tretter who had started 39 NFL games for the Packers & Browns. Tretter has started every game @ OC for the Browns the last 3 seasons. The Brown also signed Tretter to 2 back to back 3 yr contracts.

So AC being able to find a starting post in 2018 & early 2019 @ LG/ RG & OC would have been a very hard task IMO. I do not believe the Browns thought AC was garbage but his best playing NFL position was @ OG & the Browns had those two post well covered plus they had just signed their starting OC to a new 3 yr contract. Their issues were @ the two OT posts where GRob was starting.

By the way the Browns utilized their top 10 first round 2020 draft pick on an LT Jedrick Wills, Alabama.

Excellent view point.

I laugh at all the Kromer HATERS!! The Rams would have been in trouble without him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That would be a blessing.
I had hopes for Allen. He just couldn't hold his own. Which is unfortunate.
Maybe there is still room for Allen to grow as well. I just don't want to waste another season trying to find out.
I expect the coaching staff to pay VERY close attention to this group going into camp.
I also hope we get to see this unit play as a whole in some preseason games.

As far as the O”Line goes ?? They held there own protecting Goff. The play calling was not to protect them any different then in the past. The Running game was the concern imo.

Tyler Rapp likes Coleman. Just as thought of his respect of him as a player & teammate.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'll be surprised if our two most penalized players from last year are still starting come mid 2020.

Oh, and those two are long time vets at critical positions .

Whit and Hav.

McVay better have some unpredictable and creative play.calling to protect those two.

Your funny !! Then again you never know about injuries. Last set might not have been there best,but from what I know about Whit & Big Rob is they will be ready early.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'd personally try to start Corbett at center and have him compete with Blythe. Allen is an afterthought for me; he needs to recover from Covid-19 before I trust him to play for us.

I think that is SERIOUSLY silly.

Austin Blythe is coming in as the starting center. If he gets beat out so be it.
The Truth is Austin Blythe is a better Center than a Guard. He learned a Heck of a lot from John Sullivan.

To think Austin Blythe was the starting RG the last 2 seasons is what needed to be addressed. Giving Brian Allen the starting Center job & not having a veteran OG on the roster was a mistake. Then again as the article states the offensive line got much needed experience .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm predicting that if Allen is healthy he's the starter at C. Blythe continued to show his lack of athleticism at C. If he couldn't master RG how does he suddenly become a "serviceable" center? Center is one of the most difficult positions to master in the NFL. Yup they loved Blythe so much he was shown the door and only brought back because of the uncertainly of things due to the virus. Yup he was brought back on a one year deal.

If O'Connell plays a power gap scheme Blythe is a very poor fit. He simply struggles on the second level worse than he plays at the LOS. I guess people missed how when trying to pull he tripped over his own feet and landed on his face and his missed block was the guy that made the tackle.

Shelton is a better fit if Allen can't play yet. I've watched this kid and he's got enough mobility to get to the second level and make blocks. If Allen can't go which I don't think will be the case, people can't assume a failed RG is automatically going to assume the starting C position. If there is a fair competition IMO there is no way Blythe beats out Shelton. Remember, the Rams let Blythe go and at the same time re-signed Shelton.

Also, the LG is Corbett and it's his start to lose. His issues were technique related and that's something good coaching can correct. He plays with a nasty streak and that's exactly what you want from your LG. IMO the Ram's projected o-line of the future is a good one. Kromer just needs to move Evans to RG where they drafted him to play and Edwards to OT where he's more comfortable. Both Whitworth and Havenstein will be gone in 2022 if they can hang on that long. Both need to really step up their play and IMO it's not the middle that is the problem on the O-line. It's the two vets outside at LT and RT that are the weak links. Whitworth's decline was significant and startling. Havenstein's decline was predictable.

Andrew Whitworth Is going into The HOF as a RAM!!!!! I say F” any Ram Fan that doesn’t believe that!!! IMHO!!!

First off this guy is a CLASS ACT & TEAM LEADER!!! His relationship with JARED GOFF is awesome!! I don’t go to any games,but was there in there first
Hollywood type setting.

I ask any Ram Fans that go to the games see there inner actions during the games.-Still pissed The Rams cut John Sullivan. Never got the RESPECT he deserved as a player.PISSED about The SUPERBOWL holding CALL!! BS - changed the game.Gurley finally broke one on Pats 50.

-I’ll add

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Austin Blythe took over leadership of the Offensive Line. Learned a lot from John Sullivan.

Failed RG ?? I think undersized ??
I was not a fan of Austin Blythe at RG.

Brian Allen- HATED the draft pick!!!
Then John Franklin-Myers ?? McSneads worst draft EVER!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brian Allen (Earn)given the starting Job with no experience ?? Then add Noteboom as a LG with no guard experience & given the job the same way. He was the LT & swing guy.

They should have had him as the starting RG then as a rookie ?? Demby got in the way. Talk about jumping the count. Jared Goff is one of THE BEST at draw Defenses Offside!!!

I’ll comeback to the long post later. Everyone have a good day.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can't be the only one who really thinks that being offloaded by the Browns means he might actually have potential, can I? I mean, they started G Rob got, what...2 years?

Whatever talent evaluation the Browns have going on clearly sucks or they would be better. And I don't care if it's just that they have a trash scheme and it won't work. Because when they don't want a player it means that he's not going to play well in a trash scheme. It doesn't mean he'll play well in a regular scheme, but it's better than knowing he plays like trash.

In summation, the Browns are trash and by not fitting in with them it gives a better than average cast off's chance of being okay.

Dude, all you had to know is he was a Ram for half the season & fit in well with Andrew Whitworth. The left side was with a guy playing LG & was going to be the future LT.

Corbett came in and played well for The Rams 2019. It’s not about the Browns.

The Rams gave up a 5th early for a number 33 pick. To think about the Browns though as Bonifays articles states. It is a salary cap issue more than talent. Anyways

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know I have voiced this before but I felt I should again throw this out LoyalRam.... From what I know on the Browns' situation that Austin Corbett arrived in back in 2018 ....AC was selected to help fill the void from the retired all pro long time starting LT Joe Thomas. AC did play LT post @ Nevada for 4 seasons however he is really lacking in the needed length to play OT in the NFL the dumb Browns should have known this. :zany:.

When AC arrived the best Brown starting OL'ers in 2018 was starting 2 time pro bowl LG Joel Bitonio. Next best was JC Tretter @ OC & then Kevin Zeitler @ RG. Browns was also inserted AC to compete with 1st round pick Kevin Zeitler. Kevin Zeitler has just signed a five-year, $60 million contract in 2017 making him the highest paid RG in the NFL when AC arrived Zeitler had started over 100 NFL gms.

Browns then tried AC @ center post where a 5 yr veteran JC Tretter who had started 39 NFL games for the Packers & Browns. Tretter has started every game @ OC for the Browns the last 3 seasons. The Brown also signed Tretter to 2 back to back 3 yr contracts.

So AC being able to find a starting post in 2018 & early 2019 @ LG/ RG & OC would have been a very hard task IMO. I do not believe the Browns thought AC was garbage but his best playing NFL position was @ OG & the Browns had those two post well covered plus they had just signed their starting OC to a new 3 yr contract. Their issues were @ the two OT posts where GRob was starting.

By the way the Browns utilized their top 10 first round 2020 draft pick on an LT Jedrick Wills, Alabama.
This post is why I love this board. Amazing breakdown of how and why the Browns are the Browns. Also reminds me to appreciate the Rams front office and cerebral coaching staff even more. Thank God we are Rams fans!