McVay Confident In Offensive Line; Excited For Development Of Austin Corbett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think this is a nice looking line. Time to watch it come together. (y)

LT...Andrew Whitworth
LG...Austin Corbett
C....Austin Bythe
RG...David Edwards
RT...Rob Havenstein

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can understand why many of you guys want to see Austin Corbett stay at left guard. My opinion, however, is that Kromer and McVay need to work with these guys in the preseason and figure out where their best positions are. I still think David Edwards might be a good tackle, and Bobby Evans a better guard. Maybe Corbett is a better center. I don't know how the hell Kromer figures this stuff out, but that's his job. Play the best 5 guys and let them grow together this year. It only takes a few games to gel as a unit.
Kromer did have issues figuring this out early last season. His game plan LG strategy "in hind-sight" choices......to start Noteboom as 1st team LG & Demby 2nd team LG was .....was two back to back proven bad OL decisions. It sure appears to me that Kromer was fully aware of his mistakes & very early figured out that Browns Austin Corbett was what he wanted as his starting LG. The trade was made late 2019. Corbett started & finished the last 7 gms of the season as a first time starter in the NFL. I agree with you on letting his 5 guys grow together. Corbett is one of them.

I agree with you also on David Edwards having the skills & talents to be a RIGHT OT if there was a need for him to work there. However, when you have a veteran starting OT's Whitworth & Havenstein plus OT Noteboom, OT Evan & OT Brewer signed & looking to play a OT post there is just no need to try Edwards @ OT. The big need is for DE to be our starting RG & build from where we left off last season.
I wouldn't give Shelton any special consideration tbh. He has more time under Kromer working at Center, but he's a plodding type dude and that's not generally a good thing in this scheme. I think he's very much on the bubble. He's the guy Anchrum should be gunning for.

And I realize it's commonly assumed that Allen's a cut but I think he'll be our C2 this year.

If I'm Anchrum I'm going all-in though to work on the mental side at Center to try to make a move next year but either way I think he will have a shot to get himself on the depth chart at OG so if he can show a bit at the pivot he'll probably beat out Shelton.

Evans btw... I don't think he has enough strength to be an OG, prefer they dial him in at LT with an eye to him being the LT2.
I do not look at Shelton as future starting material however he has demonstrated the ability to play 4/5ths OL posts in college. CS versatility particularly on the 3 interior posts as a reserve give him a leg up on most Ram Ol'ers on the #9 position this early season plus that fact he was the #8 Ol'er in 2019 & active for most all gms last season. I prefer a OL'er like Tremayne Anchrum would beat Shelton out this preseason. I will keep an eye on Rookie UDFA Cabral this TC & preseason. I believe he might be a sleeper in Kromer's future OC competition after this season.

As far as OL'er Bobby Evans I would agree with you the exception that Evans might get consideration to compete @ reserve LG....... if Noteboom & Brewer have made the 2020 final master roster. Much of where Evans works this TC & preseason depends on the health of Noteboom & the continuing surprising ascending work of Chandler Brewer. Evan's extra long arms will always work against him when he plays inside.

Last edited:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think this is a nice looking line. Time to watch it come together. (y)

LT...Andrew Whitworth
LG...Austin Corbett
C....Austin Bythe
RG...David Edwards
RT...Rob Havenstein
At least there is no Allen at C or Boom at OG, that's definitely a plus

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do not look at Shelton as future starting material however he has demonstrated the ability to play 4/5ths OL posts in college. CS versatility particularly on the 3 interior posts as a reserve give him a leg up on most Ram Ol'ers on the #9 position this early season plus that fact he was the #8 Ol'er in 2019 & active for most all gms last season. I prefer a OL'er like Tremayne Anchrum would beat Shelton out this preseason. I will keep an eye on Rookie UDFA Cabral this TC & preseason. I believe he might be a sleeper in Kromer's future OC competition after this season.

As far as OL'er Bobby Evans I would agree with you the exception that Evans might get consideration to compete @ reserve LG....... if Noteboom & Brewer have made the 2020 final master roster. Much of where Evans works this TC & preseason depends on the health of Noteboom & the continuing surprising ascending work of Chandler Brewer. Evan's extra long arms will always work against him when he plays inside.
One thing that really pisses me off here is the Rams are one of the teams that badly needs camp time for their OL to try to sort things. So if that gets shortened they'll be hurt more than some other teams IMO.

I'm just not as positive with the depth as most others around here. I don't want to bash on Shelton or any of these others so will cut it short there other than to say I'm happy they added Anchrum and like you will be keeping an eye on Cabral. Just my own preference here but I like to see guys on the depth chart who are a bit specialized in what they do whereas the Rams tend to crosstrain heavily and Kromer definitely prefers OTs in the draft that he can move inside which makes sense when you want to do all that crosstraining. So when I see a guy like Anchrum added who is only going to factor in on the interior it's kind of exciting lol. And hopefully he can help us out.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I miss Rodger Saffold. I'm not saying anything negative about the current roster, but I am watching the 2018 season again, and Saffold is a grader. I just watched the 49er week seven game. He is a beast.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Watching this TC & preseason as to whom will be involved as our OC's will be interesting for sure. The short squatty size of this ex RT Tremayne Anchrum 6-2/315 does look like an inviting OC prospect for the future. Snead sure loaded the OC boat for this upcoming season.The OC boat has Blythe, Allen, Shelton, Kolone, Trewyn & Cabral. Other members throwing in Austin Corbett & Tremayne Anchrum too.

I just do not see Austin Corbett being moved from his starting LG post & relegated back down into OC reserve competition action behind Blythe. Only way I see this happening is if Noteboom is ready to go & takes back his swing OT position then last half season starter Bobby Evans would be looking for a spot. His best spot outside the swing OT position would be LG.

It may be best for Rookie Anchrum to concentrate on working the two OG posts for this season in order to make this 2020 roster. I think his main competition to succeeding with this is Chandler Brewer. Brewer would appear to be in the OT mix too with Noteboom's availability being a big unknown.

Noteboom - imo is he is not coming back in 2020. He will be a practice guy doing rehab.

As far as T. Anchrum goes your right about him being a guard. I don’t think he makes the team,but will be a practice squad guy they want to try to groom.He fits the system & it gives him time learn the offense.

Corbett is already going to win the LG spot.

Brian Allen on the other hand is going to be in and put up a good fight to start or even make the roster ?? The center spot is stacked.

Bobby Evans I think will be the back up LT & swing guy.He could eventually even be the next starting LT ?? Big question mark ,but he is a young play with a lot of upside still.

Big Rob wins the RT spot. He comes in Fired Up !!! His R.I.C.E. Surgery helps his core & he should come into camp in excellent shape. He learned from last season.I think he needs some Reps in preseason?

Whit - is Next Ram H.o.F player ? If not Holt ?

Brewer is going to be Strictly a Guard!! My reason is he & the Anchrum are the only 2 listed as Guards.

Blythe from looking at the roster was moved to OL,which seems curious to me.I guess the Truth is he will be a game time starting Center with Brian Allen or comp. being backups.If a guard gets injured meaning Edwards or Corbett then Blythe will fill in as the guard.

Edwards to me has won the starting RG & will be that much better after getting his first experience as a Guard in his Whole Career ever.He said he has always been a Tackle.

The competition for a roster spot will be interesting & intense. Mcvay will continue to rest his starters for most the preseason games,but expanding between last year & less than years past finding the happy medium.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This article is oozing with flowing fantasy :49er::zany:but it's entertaining anyway
5 teams looking to trade for LA Rams’ offensive linemen

1590340688907.png

Perception, plan, production
But the consensus among fans is that more was needed. After all, most fans painfully recall the futility of the team’s offensive line in 2019. From that experience, many believe that no amount of experience, health, continuity, or coaching will make much of a difference to improve that group. To them, new blood is the only path to getting better. And in that light, the LA Rams failed to draft offensive linemen in the 2020 NFL Draft.

As a result, the offense has little to no hope of improving the offense in 2020 and into the future. But the reality of the 2020 off-season has changed everything. In a good year, even a top-rated rookie offensive lineman had a difficult time making a true impact on their new NFL team. Imagine the struggles they face this year, during a time when nobody can say when they will line up with their teammates and begin to train alongside them? At least the LA Rams have a huge stable of young NFL offensive linemen with 2019 playing experience to draw upon. But what if the off-season remains virtual through the summer months?

Cash in on the Rams advantage
If that happens, what happens to the remaining Rams offensive linemen? The team has 15 offensive linemen on the roster today. That means 15 players are in competition for just five starting roles in 2020. Doing the math, that’s three deep for each position. Since the actual face to face time will be abbreviated, 15 players are simply too many to evaluate in a year where the entire training camp schedule is in question.

That means the Rams will be looking to cut or trade players as quickly as possible. So which NFL teams might be shopping for offensive linemen? We’ve actually identified a number of such teams, thanks to the folks from Pro Football Focus’s list of all NFL Team needs. Keep in mind that new additions, particularly from the NFL Draft, are still shoppers of talent. In a season where offensive line coaches will have limited time for hands-on training. To provide for a longer learning curve, many teams will seek help in the trenches.

Baltimore Ravens
The Baltimore Ravens have a solid offense but need offensive linemen depth. The unexpected retirement of Marshall Yanda leaves a huge hole in the Ravens line at right guard. Right now, they will be exploring both veteran and draft options to fill that hole. If the LA Rams are smart, they offer a veteran lineman to the Ravens at the cost of a fourth or lower 2020 draft pick.

That will give the Ravens a veteran at the position for depth, and won’t eliminate the team’s drafting a prospect to fill the role when that rookie earns a starting role. The Rams have players who have NFL or even starting experience who will likely not get a chance to play in 2020. That list includes 6-foot-2 302-pound Brian Allen, 6-foot-5 321-pound Joseph Noteboom, 6-foot-5 321-pound Jamil Demby, 6-foot-4 315-pound Nate Trewyn, or 6-foot-3 316-pound Jeremiah Kolone.

Currently Competitive
The Ravens are interested in a player who can compete in 2020 for a starting role, so they will most certainly be interested in either Brian Allen or Joseph Noteboom. While Allen has been the center for the LA Rams, the team’s resigning both Austin Blythe and Coleman Shelton suggest the LA Rams are prepared to move on from a very young Allen. The LA Rams invested their fourth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Baltimore gets an inexpensive NFL veteran who not only slides in as the immediate backup to right guard D.J. Fluker but and can compete for a starting role. The Ravens land an experienced offensive lineman who can play multiple interior offensive line positions and the LA Rams get a 2020 NFL Draft pick restored for the investment. Allen’s rookie debut was cut deeply short by an ill-timed injury. Should the LA Rams decide to move on, they would be wise to strike a trade now.

Buffalo Bills
The Buffalo Bills are another NFL team interested in filling depth on the offensive line. The team has added playmakers in a push for a playoff run this year but needs additional support at the offensive line to make sense at a deep push. While the Bills have depth at most positions at the left guard position, the LA Rams can help bolster at that position.

The LA Rams attempted to convert left tackle Joseph Noteboom to a starting left guard. While that fell short, the team would be able to trade Noteboom to the Buffalo Bills as a depth player. Noteboom would get to play and learn behind a solid veteran, and the Rams would be able to lighten the roster in time to make room for newly draft rookies.

Beef up Bills backups
Noteboom’s career with the LA Rams, while perfectly understandable for a left tackle rookie attempting to fill the unfamiliar role of the left guard in the wake of a pro-bowl veteran Roger Saffold, has been harmed with a poor debut. That could be revitalized with a fresh start, particularly under the tutelage of left guard Quinton Spain

Carolina Panthers
While many look upon the Carolina Panthers and see “rebuild”, the team has almost no depth at either left or right guard. That is a problem for the Panthers and a new opportunity for the LA Rams. In fact, the Panthers have multiple needs on defense and offense, so they may be looking to add value to their team before the NFL Draft arrives. The Rams are certainly in the market for draft picks and have plenty of depth at positions the Panthers desperately need. The Rams starters are intact and for the sake of getting a solid draft pick in this draft, would be willing to part with multiple players to land a pick on day one of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Blockbuster deal
If you waited for the “blockbuster” trade from the LA Rams, this could be it, assuming the Panthers are willing to do so. The Panthers would welcome the chance to address both offensive and defensive needs. Starters who line up in 2020 are incredibly valuable.

In this exchange, the Carolina Panthers fill a huge need by obtaining a veteran defensive end and veteran starting offensive right tackle. The LA Rams land three precious draft picks in 2021, round two, round three, and round four. Both teams walk away from a value-added exchange.

Chicago Bears
As soon as the Chicago Bears took on veteran QB Nick Foles, the team committed to upgrading the offensive line. But with Foles’ contract, they needed to do so economically. The Bears are as tight as the LA Rams in terms of the salary cap and their 2021 NFL Draft right now. The Bears needed offensive line help but were only able to add two offensive linemen in the seventh round of the NFL Draft.

The Bears have two starting offensive tackles who may or may not be up to the challenge of protecting Nick Foles. But their number one need is the interior, where the offensive line simply struggles to block for runners. Despite the need, the Bears failed to address the matter in the NFL Draft, which could create havoc for their entire offense.

Blythe barely Bear-able?
Despite the LA Rams resigning veteran interior lineman Austin Blythe to a one-year deal, his ability to play virtually all interior line positions for the Rams may not be enough to keep him on the roster in 2020. Realistically speaking, the Rams were actively seeking a center in the NFL Draft, and only the random fault of the draft board prevented them from addressing the matter.

In this exchange, the Bears trade for a starting right guard, and the Rams add a valuable draft pick to their depleted 2020 bank. While some argue Blythe is not worth a third-round pick, he most certainly is in the reality of 2020. If the Bears intend to compete, which they most certainly do by trading for Nick Foles, then they need to finish the job by filling holes in their offensive line.

Cincinnati Bengals
The Cincinnati Bengals, to no surprise, drafted quarterback Joe Burrow with the first overall pick of the 2020 NFL Draft. But from the moment they drafted their franchise quarterback, the Bengals immediately prioritized needs up and down their offensive line. And spending that top pick on the quarterback means the team will roll the dice on offensive linemen, hoping to develop some in time for the start of the NFL season.

Don’t let the post-draft recaps fool you. The Bengals need a right tackle. They simply did not have enough picks in the 2020 NFL Draft to select one. Meanwhile, the Rams need to shed right tackle Rob Havenstein‘s contract, restructured and all.

ROBbing the Bengals blind?
While the LA Rams have a surplus at right tackle, as the team toggles between Havenstein and Bobby Evans, could they leverage the Bengals need into a solid draft pick? It certainly makes sense for the Bengals to attempt to safeguard their franchise quarterback with the best protection within their means. They did draft Hakeem Adeniji, but he is a work-in-process and is not someone the Bengals want to entrust protecting their investment.

In this exchange, the Rams take on offensive line project Hakeem Adenui in exchange for the Bengals 2020 sixth-round pick investment, while sending Haventstein their direction for a 2021 second-round pick.

Five NFL teams sought offensive line help in 2020, but due to the virtual reality may not have gotten what they bargained for. The LA Rams can leverage those unmet needs with ready to plug-n-play NFL ready offensive linemen. In a normal season, this opportunity is not possible. But since real NFL experience is at such a premium right now, who can put a price tag on it? The LA Rams certainly can try.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
One thing that really pisses me off here is the Rams are one of the teams that badly needs camp time for their OL to try to sort things. So if that gets shortened they'll be hurt more than some other teams IMO.

I'm just not as positive with the depth as most others around here. I don't want to bash on Shelton or any of these others so will cut it short there other than to say I'm happy they added Anchrum and like you will be keeping an eye on Cabral. Just my own preference here but I like to see guys on the depth chart who are a bit specialized in what they do whereas the Rams tend to crosstrain heavily and Kromer definitely prefers OTs in the draft that he can move inside which makes sense when you want to do all that crosstraining. So when I see a guy like Anchrum added who is only going to factor in on the interior it's kind of exciting lol. And hopefully he can help us out.

Looks like Brewer is now listed as the only guard besides Anchrum. He played the last game against Arizona as RT for Evans who was playing hurt.
I found that interesting because Havenstien was active roster,but put on inactive for that game.

I’m still in the mind set Brian Allen might be the next Center up ?? Then again Tyler Rapp talks highly of Shelton as a Husky teammate,but noting about Gaines which I find weird.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Noteboom - imo is he is not coming back in 2020. He will be a practice guy doing rehab.

As far as T. Anchrum goes your right about him being a guard. I don’t think he makes the team,but will be a practice squad guy they want to try to groom.He fits the system & it gives him time learn the offense.

Corbett is already going to win the LG spot.

Brian Allen on the other hand is going to be in and put up a good fight to start or even make the roster ?? The center spot is stacked.

Bobby Evans I think will be the back up LT & swing guy.He could eventually even be the next starting LT ?? Big question mark ,but he is a young play with a lot of upside still.

Big Rob wins the RT spot. He comes in Fired Up !!! His R.I.C.E. Surgery helps his core & he should come into camp in excellent shape. He learned from last season.I think he needs some Reps in preseason?

Whit - is Next Ram H.o.F player ? If not Holt ?

Brewer is going to be Strictly a Guard!! My reason is he & the Anchrum are the only 2 listed as Guards.

Blythe from looking at the roster was moved to OL,which seems curious to me.I guess the Truth is he will be a game time starting Center with Brian Allen or comp. being backups.If a guard gets injured meaning Edwards or Corbett then Blythe will fill in as the guard.

Edwards to me has won the starting RG & will be that much better after getting his first experience as a Guard in his Whole Career ever.He said he has always been a Tackle.

The competition for a roster spot will be interesting & intense. Mcvay will continue to rest his starters for most the preseason games,but expanding between last year & less than years past finding the happy medium.
Okay here's my current projected reponse to your post.

We agree on Rookie OG Tremayne Anchrum who has the talent to stick to this roster this season one way or another. We also agree on LG Austin Corbett. On OT Bobby Evans his long range starting future in tied to the RT post. His short term future is @ swing OT.

I have a differing opinion on Noteboom. He will have a delayed part to play in this 2020 OL. JN will play this season. Kromer has enough Ol'ers to let Noteboom return to full health without any rush. Might be @ the end of preseason or @ the bye week. Noteboom with all likelihood be our primary starting LT over the later half of this regular season.

I would NOT cut short or bet short on Chandler Brewer he was primarily a OG in college & yes he is an NFL OG too but Kromer like him playing back up @ LT/RT not OG. Brewer can play four OL posts. David Edwards has the talent OT start @ 3 starting posts RG/RT/LG. In truth Edwards might be playing in his weakest NFL OL position. He played real good @ LG in his first 3 starts & he has NFL prototype RT skills & talents. But he is needed then & most likely now @ RG. Its Kromers decision. Edwards is that good.

Brian Allen started more gms in college @ OG than OC by a large amount. Allen played well @ both OG posts. In the NFL he has" Fail Mode" stamped on his forehead presently. He has one serious battle in finding a spot on this 2020 roster because Blythe is our starting OC. This 4th rd pick may not be in any consideration @ starting @ OC & has not shown any ability to play a swing OG role in the NFL......well he appears more like our past OC 4th rd pick next Barrett Jones. Allen better come in strong & sharp or bye. In conclusion, I would bet that whoever earns that back up center post ....it's going to be a big surprise!

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They can't be that stupid unless he was a 100% non scheme fit and they thought they could put a square peg in a round hole.

We're talking about the Cleveland Browns here, right? Hue Jackson, 1-31 before drafting Corbett and we should be surprised they drafted a LT at #33 who should be a G? Freddie Kitchens beats out Greg Williams for the HC job (who went 5-3 after taking over for Jackson), goes 6-10 and gets fired after 1 year, and we're supposed to be surprised they didn't develop Corbett at G? We're talking about the Cleveland Browns here right?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would NOT cut short or bet short on Chandler Brewer he was primarily a OG in college & yes he is an NFL OG too but Kromer had him mainly playing LT/RT not OG. Brewer can play four OL posts. David Edwards has the talent OT start @ 3 starting posts RG/RT/LG. In truth Edwards might be playing in his weakest NFL OL position. He played real good @ LG in his first 3 starts & he has NFL prototype RT skills & talents. But he is needed then & most likely now @ RG. Its Kromers decision. Edwards is that good.
I'm with you on Edwards. I feel like the Rams hit big with him, he'll be somewhere from a solid starter to a plus guy. And also one thing to consider with him is that Evans wasn't exactly killing it at RT which affects the guy he's playing next to. I also think that is relatable to how much better he looked at LG, well that plus teams actually gameplanning for him to test him out once he's been in there a while. So if Hav can return to form I think Edwards in year two may be a real rock for us in there.

Which is good because Blythe needs top guard play next to him to protect him IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm with you on Edwards. I feel like the Rams hit big with him, he'll be somewhere from a solid starter to a plus guy. And also one thing to consider with him is that Evans wasn't exactly killing it at RT which affects the guy he's playing next to. I also think that is relatable to how much better he looked at LG, well that plus teams actually gameplanning for him to test him out once he's been in there a while. So if Hav can return to form I think Edwards in year two may be a real rock for us in there.

Which is good because Blythe needs top guard play next to him to protect him IMO.
Did you just state that the Rams started two rookies OL'ers on the right side RG/RT the last 7 games of the year & the NFL world did not end?:oops:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

It's a big problem. (Also for the Rams' talented draft picks.) But some adjustments in coaching might help.

I would not be surprised to see McVay change his philosophy about not playing starters in pre season (if there is a preseason) or at least to play them as much as possible in camp.

Last year's preseason in retrospect was a disaster for the oline. The starters weren't ready and there were serial injuries anyway. This should be a stark lesson learned.

After the debacle with the line last year imo Kromer should determine the starters as early as possible and max out their practice and playing time together.

Kromer should also just forget about cross training any presumptive starters for this season. That's a luxury we can't afford in a restricted preseason and there's enough depth to train the second team for specific needed positions. Let the starters practice and play together at their actual positions

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Okay here's my current projected reponse to your post.

We agree on Rookie OG Tremayne Anchrum who has the talent to stick to this roster this season one way or another. We also agree on LG Austin Corbett. On OT Bobby Evans his long range starting future in tied to the RT post. His short term future is @ swing OT.

I have a differing opinion on Noteboom. He will have a delayed part to play in this 2020 OL. JN will play this season. Kromer has enough Ol'ers to let Noteboom return to full health without any rush. Might be @ the end of preseason or @ the bye week. Noteboom with all likelihood be our primary starting LT over the later half of this regular season.

I would NOT cut short or bet short on Chandler Brewer he was primarily a OG in college & yes he is an NFL OG too but Kromer like him playing back up @ LT/RT not OG. Brewer can play four OL posts. David Edwards has the talent OT start @ 3 starting posts RG/RT/LG. In truth Edwards might be playing in his weakest NFL OL position. He played real good @ LG in his first 3 starts & he has NFL prototype RT skills & talents. But he is needed then & most likely now @ RG. Its Kromers decision. Edwards is that good.

Brian Allen started more gms in college @ OG than OC by a large amount. Allen played well @ both OG posts. In the NFL he has" Fail Mode" stamped on his forehead presently. He has one serious battle in finding a spot on this 2020 roster because Blythe is our starting OC. This 4th rd pick may not be in any consideration @ starting @ OC & has not shown any ability to play a swing OG role in the NFL......well he appears more like our past OC 4th rd pick next Barrett Jones. Allen better come in strong & sharp or bye. In conclusion, I would bet that whoever earns that back up center post ....it's going to be a big surprise!

I disagree with you on almost all those accounts for sure.

Noteboom - what info do you have on his rehab at all ?? The last report I heard 3 months ago was he has to relearn how to walk & surgery didn’t go as fast as expected.

Evans - who knows ? He could win the starting RT spot. He might be a better player,but Evans adds better as swing Tackle imo.
Brewer- now that you state him being strictly a guard in college makes even more sense as a OG.

With Corbett secure at LG, I don’t see Edwards lossing the RG spot at all.

Brian Allen - can’t see him playing guard. He is to short & this is the NFL.
Why was he the starting Center & Blythe the starting RG then ?? Blythe is the better play caller by far.

Will see what happens, but going off my believes & info. I could see Coleman making the team over Allen.

-Goff said he trust Blythe & he knows already who the starters are going to be.

—Crazy how you TOTALLY have always disrespect Andrew Whitworth!!! All he has done is prove you wrong. You use to say the same thing about Roger Saffold early on. His contract gives Noteboom time to return healthy. How healthy he is HUGE. I have no idea,but my sense is he will be held out,& maybe back off Pup.

Remember Noteboom coming off Pup is a big question mark depending who gets hurt.

There is always a chance Whitworth gets hurt,just as it is with any player.Injurys steams for NFL. He has over come the Dather of Time.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
....some adjustments in coaching might help.
....at least to play them as much as possible in camp.

.....Kromer should determine the starters as early as possible and max out their practice and playing time together.

Kromer should also just forget about cross training any presumptive starters for this season. That's a luxury we can't afford in a restricted preseason and there's enough depth to train the second team for specific needed positions. Let the starters practice and play together at their actual positions
Amen.

This could give us a huge advantage in protection for the pass game and run game and help us win some games early in the season.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Noteboom - what info do you have on his rehab at all ?? The last report I heard 3 months ago was he has to relearn how to walk & surgery didn’t go as fast as expected.

The last report I read (in Feb.) on Noteboom was Sean McVay saying he was on track to start the season. The last report I heard directly from Noteboom (in an interview) was around the same time and he said he 'wasn't running yet', which doesn't mean he was relearning how to walk. The best thing that could happen for Noteboom is if the season is pushed back 2 months. I don't get Stuter's article about trading JN to someplace he can develop at G behind a starter. He's an OT and his value is with the Rams, not as trade bait for Buffalo, Carolina or whomever. Though Whitworth has had extremely good luck with health in his career, he's 38 and not the same guy we got in 2017. His future beyond 2020 is anybody's guess. Havenstein played like crapola last year before he was injured and held out after he was well enough to be active. Though it's possible he could have a resurgence in 2020, he's the one Ram OL who could bring the most in a trade. It's pretty apparent the Rams, McVay/Kromer are grooming 5 or 6 guys to be the Rams OL of the future including Noteboom, Corbett, Edwards and Evans. Who are the other guys? I dunno. Allen, Shelton, Anchrum, Brewer, Kolone? I think there was a huge over reaction to the OL performance in 2019, brought on by injuries more than performance and exacerbated by a 9-7 record. It's not anywhere near as bad as it seems (to fans). If it were, those guys wouldn't have signed Whitworth and Blythe to contracts which aren't worth the paper they're printed on after 2020. They would have looked elsewhere.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's not anywhere near as bad as it seems (to fans). If it were, those guys wouldn't have signed Whitworth and Blythe to contracts which aren't worth the paper they're printed on after 2020. They would have looked elsewhere.

I agree on Whitworth, felt, the Rams would have been better off making a trade for Trent Williams, but Whit is great in the locker room and ensured they didn't have to rush Noteboom back. I like bringing Blythe back because he will be the starting Center and if he plays well, the Rams very well could extend him, if not, they will have to sign another in 2021 or focus on the draft and take Creed Humphrey from Oklahoma in the 2nd Round.

Memphis Ram

Legend
After the debacle with the line last year imo Kromer should determine the starters as early as possible and max out their practice and playing time together.

IMO, that's how they ended up with an interior OLine of Noteboom, Allen, & Blythe. It's hard to imagine that a legit competition netted those results.