McVay changed the whole culture (not owner, not GM)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
He is a hands off owner, hiring the right people to turn the franchise around. He has billions and he's putting a chunk of it in the new place. He got the Rams out of St. Louis and back into L.A.. He doesn't talk very much to the media but I'm sure he talks to his guys after the camera is off. What more does a fanbase want? A Jerrah Jones-type? Danial Snyder-type? Mark Davis-type?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About Fisher getting respect from all his players.

Ummmmm...

Gurley once called the O a “middle school O”.

I suspect that the players generally liked Fisher, but I wonder just how much they respected him on football matters.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And we all know there are some that will never give him any credit no matter what happens or what he actually may do or not.

IMO fans from STL have every right to dislike him for what he did. So I can understand that sentiment.

In part because I share it, and in part because he deserves it.

He could have easily thanked the fans that had lined his pockets with tens of millions of dollars every year, or just said nothing. But rather than doing either of those things he opted for slamming them, the city, and lying about how there was no support for the team and it was financial suicide to own an NFL team there.

A complete lack of class IMO and I can see why people from the region that became Rams fans after they moved there dislike him.

I would say maybe the greatest reason for the Rams success is Mcvays system, and ability to teach it married with his trust in his coaches to have full ownership over their peice. Specifically Wade and Kromer.

This is where Fisher failed. He tried to have control over offense when he was a defensive\Special Teams guy.

Fisher's big failure was really stinking at hiring a good OC, he gave the job to people he liked and was familiar with which was stupid.

May I politely ask what your basis is for these statements? For example that Kroenke has not been involved in or approved key signings, for example McVay Donald Suh? Or that he doesn’t have anything to do with paying players? Would also like to see examples of owners spending as much as Kroenke on their facilities or getting less public revenues?

I'll politely ask why you said what you said in the first place with no knowledge of anything obviously. Certainly he gets consulted on a HC search but players, position coaches and all the rest fall into the hands of Snead and Demoff. And now McVay as well since he is on board. Prior to McVay those hires were done by Fisher and Demoff.

Demoff does the contracts. Period. Paragraph. End of story. Kroenke does not touch them.

Kroenke has turned over the entire operation to Demoff, in fact some years ago. Demoffs title is Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Chief Operating Officer. In other words he is the head motherfucker in charge.

Just noting that McVay took over a decent team that had some tools to work with... and *some* of the credit should be given to Fisher.

This is in large part to one of my "big three"..........and it's no secret that I am a huge fan of Snead's. He's added a ton of talent to this roster. I can't understand why he didn't win Executive of the Year the same year the McVay, Gurley and Donald all won their awards. He is the guy largely responsible for all of them being on the Rams to begin with.

That was a travesty IMO.

The guy who had the most to do with drafting the guys who won OPOY and DPOY and was half of the McVay hire doesn't get EOTY???

That was befuddling.

He doesn't like Stan so it's simple. Anything good then he had nothing to do with it. Anything bad was his doing.

As opposed to people who give him credit for anything good? Even when he has nothing to do with it LOL.

I think many posters don't understand the responsibilities of each actor on the stage so to speak. In other words they aren't clear on who does what in the Rams FO, even though each person has pretty clearly defined roles and responsibilities that have always been know to the public.

How many times have we seen posts praising Snead, or McVay, for getting a player signed? Or praising McVay for a draft selection or for getting a free agent signed? Of course they communicate with each other daily about possible actions or strategies but each has been given independent "power" over their "department". It's been this way since Fisher was fired.

Kroenke, as I mentioned above, turned over operations to Demoff some years ago. In fact Demoff was just as involved in executing the move as Kroenke. And we know that because both of them have said that. Kroenke is essentially in the backseat and Demoff and Snead are driving.

This is from the Rams website, it's Demoff's job description: (emphasis mine)

Kevin Demoff is in his tenth year as Chief Operating Officer & Executive Vice President of Football Operations with the Rams. In this capacity, Demoff serves as the team’s top front office executive and liaison to owner and chairman, Stan Kroenke, on all organizational matters.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@LesBaker You just keep doing you. There are plenty of reasons to like or dislike anybody and far be it from me to tell somebody how to think or feel. But it’s comical how you want to give him no credit for anything positive because you sthink he has no say in things while being the teams owner. Yet when he was minority owner without final say he made bad decisions for the team. If you cant see the hypocrisy in this and laugh at how comical it is there’s nothing anybody can or should say to help on this subject.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@LesBaker You just keep doing you. There are plenty of reasons to like or dislike anybody and far be it from me to tell somebody how to think or feel. But it’s comical how you want to give him no credit for anything positive because you sthink he has no say in things while being the teams owner. Yet when he was minority owner without final say he made bad decisions for the team. If you cant see the hypocrisy in this and laugh at how comical it is there’s nothing anybody can or should say to help on this subject.

I'm not saying he gets no credit, but like I pointed out he isn't the real reason for the culture change, or the reason that the team is winning.

The culture has changed for a few reasons, and the team is winning for a few reasons.

He's had little to do with that other than lucking into Demoff who was working for Tampa Bay, and letting him make the choices. And Demoff has done quite well other than Fisher.

Speaking of Fisher

@PARAM you mentioned the extension and then firing Fisher. It just came to mind that may have been done that to get around a rule or something. He got a two year extension then a week later got fired. According to the contract he has to get paid off. I wonder if that was agreed to beforehand. Maybe it was a way of giving Fisher a bonus for helping steer the team through the move back to LA. After all we have heard rumors that moving was discussed in the interview process.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
He is FAR from the first sports team owner to build a stadium. And by the way he is getting help from local revenue, he isn't paying for all of it. There is some help from public funding.

Please explain. Maybe some tax credits...maybe - but what public funding?

And it's patently disigenuous to imply that when someone comes up with 98% of the funding for a project, "he really didn't pay for the whole thing".

Please. you just hate the guy, and that's fine, I understand, because I feel the same way about a certain ex-showgirl.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Please explain. Maybe some tax credits...maybe - but what public funding?

And it's patently disigenuous to imply that when someone comes up with 98% of the funding for a project, "he really didn't pay for the whole thing".

Please. you just hate the guy, and that's fine, I understand, because I feel the same way about a certain ex-showgirl.

Infrastructure around the complex is being built on taxpayer money. Now that said it's far less than what many owners have held cities hostage over but it's being paid for by someone other than Kroenke. As far as tax credits I'm sure he's getting a a metric shit-ton because the project is going to be a major economic boost for that area and long term will benefit taxpayers. The residential and office/retail space is going to be highly desirable and will bring tax paying people and businesses into that town quickly.

I do dislike him, and for good reasons. I was hoping that Khan would get the team.

I haven't liked Kroenke for years, dating back to when we found out he helped put the deal together to essentially sneak the Rams out of LA to begin with.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
@PARAM you mentioned the extension and then firing Fisher. It just came to mind that may have been done that to get around a rule or something. He got a two year extension then a week later got fired. According to the contract he has to get paid off. I wonder if that was agreed to beforehand. Maybe it was a way of giving Fisher a bonus for helping steer the team through the move back to LA. After all we have heard rumors that moving was discussed in the interview process.

Ding Ding Ding! Hit the nail on the head, Les.
That's exactly what happened, and think it was a classy thank you from SK.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ding Ding Ding! Hit the nail on the head, Les.
That's exactly what happened, and think it was a classy thank you from SK.

Oddly I don't recall any discussion about that when it happened. In fact the firing was relatively quiet considering how high profile the hire was and the move was.

Perhaps because they hired McVay pretty quickly and the story line about his age was a big deal for the media.

dang

Legend
All I can say as a Rams fan - the move back to LA has worked out great so far with more to come - so let's roll with it!!! Hind sight 20/20 - I bet there are 15+ owners who wished they could have pulled it off.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
About Fisher getting respect from all his players.

Ummmmm...

Gurley once called the O a “middle school O”.

I suspect that the players generally liked Fisher, but I wonder just how much they respected him on football matters.
A couple things.

First, Gurley made those comments in December of 2016, after a brutal blowout loss to the Falcons, and just a couple days before Fisher was fired. At that point, EVERYONE could see that the Rams offense was hopelessly inept.

Second, Gurley took pains to stress that his comments were intended as criticism of himself and his teammates, not his coaches.

Third, a couple days later, Gurley had this to say about the Fisher firing:

"It was tough," Gurley told reporters about Fisher's dismissal, via PFT. "It was tough on a lot of guys. Coach Fisher, he did a great job. He brought everybody in. We loved him as a coach. We know a lot of other people didn't. But, at the end of the day, we knew what he did for us. He brought us in. He's the one who drafted me when nobody else believed in me. It definitely hit us hard, for sure."

So, yes, I think the players respected Fisher as a man, as a coach, and a leader. Did they respect him for having a great mind for offensive football? No. Who would?

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He nickname was The Italian Stallion... so who knows.

It always used to annoy the crap out of me when she would kiss various players on the sideline. I remember her having a special love of kissing Lansford the kicker. So freaking wrong and embarrassing.
She must have loved him because he could always squeeze it through the uprights. Lol.