McVay changed the whole culture (not owner, not GM)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
We don't see the ass chewings... because that is done in private like it is supposed to be.

Like you, I am a huge fan of McVay.

I wonder about your assumption of “ass chewings in private,” though. Yes, McVay has instilled a culture of commitment to excellence. Yes, it is clear that if a player makes mental mistakes, he won’t see the field.

But “ass chewings?” I dunno, McVay seems almost too “modern” for that. McVay has this ‘upbeat’, positive tone that is just relentless. I can’t EVER remember when McVay was highly critical of a player... the ONLY times I have seen McVay be critical is when he was referring to himself.

I agree with your overall post of course, Selassie, and maybe I’m just quibbling with your word choice of ‘ass chewing.’ My guess is that McVay is in private the same way he is in public... RELENTLESSLY upbeat. Over the long run, I think that McVay has decided that the ‘old school’ style of barking at players just means they’ll tune out, eventually.

I dunno. Fisher’s teams were notorious for jumping offsides, repeatedly. I bet Fisher screamed and “chewed their asses out” many times. But for McVay? I bet he relies on TEACHING. If a player keeps making a mental mistake, he’ll find a way to get inside the player’s head and teach him proper technique.

Anyway, just random musings about McVay’s coaching style. McVay doesn’t rely on fear. He relies on intelligence and optimism.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Amen Brudda

The days of "that woman" and her freaking lying lawyer running a football team so that she had enough money to throw her cocktail parties and bounce the player's paychecks are almost completely out of our rearview mirror's view. There is just enough of it still barely visible though to still make it completely unsafe for that scumbag shaw to be in the same room as me. And that's a fact, Jack!

Those old sounds bits of the women owner Frontiere gets me angry to this day. Wasted years! But I will say this we had 2 of the best owners in Rosenbloom & Stan the man

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I wonder about your assumption of “ass chewings in private,” though. Yes, McVay has instilled a culture of commitment to excellence. Yes, it is clear that if a player makes mental mistakes, he won’t see the field.

But “ass chewings?” I dunno, McVay seems almost too “modern” for that. McVay has this ‘upbeat’, positive tone that is just relentless. I can’t EVER remember when McVay was highly critical of a player... the ONLY times I have seen McVay be critical is when he was referring to himself.

I agree with your overall post of course, Selassie, and maybe I’m just quibbling with your word choice of ‘ass chewing.’ My guess is that McVay is in private the same way he is in public... RELENTLESSLY upbeat. Over the long run, I think that McVay has decided that the ‘old school’ style of barking at players just means they’ll tune out, eventually.

I dunno. Fisher’s teams were notorious for jumping offsides, repeatedly. I bet Fisher screamed and “chewed their asses out” many times. But for McVay? I bet he relies on TEACHING. If a player keeps making a mental mistake, he’ll find a way to get inside the player’s head and teach him proper technique.

Anyway, just random musings about McVay’s coaching style. McVay doesn’t rely on fear. He relies on intelligence and optimism.

I recall reading AD commenting on McVay not being shy of calling out players who made mistakes in practice in no uncertain terms. Including AD, himself.

“Ass chewing” might be a little strong, but McVay demanded near perfection in every aspect from his players. He was known for running a play again and again until every player had it down pat. He was no coddler, that’s for sure.

The results on the field speak for themselves.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Agree with the OP as far as McVay being the prime reason for the culture change. I disagree a bit about him being to buddy buddy with his players. Seems to me he holds players accountable, in the RIGHT way.

As Far as the "Old Rams" Yeah.. that was all that POS Shaw.

TexasRam

Legend

Agreed. Not to pile on Selassie who makes a lot of good points on this board, but Mcvay is not an ass chewer, he is the opposite and what I would consider a higher level motivator.

Mcvay always motivates by acknowledging the dignity of the person and the positive characteristics of the player with the always added asterick of “one thing we love about this player is he is the type of player that will work hard to make the corrections needed to make a positive adjustment” and “ I am a coach need to also do better to put them in the right position to suceed”

This is Mcvays strength. Accountability through believing in the Character of the person to work hard to get better along with setting the example himself of asking how he can get better.

It’s just a higher level of motivation with deeper impact and longer lasting results than fear based motivation.

Mcvay the coach is successful because of Mcvay the Person first and foremost.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Players who played for Fisher and McSlay have had the same thing to say basically when they are asked about why the results on the field are so much better now with McSlay...

They all loved Fisher... but they will tell you that THEY ARE NOW HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR EVERYTHING. That was not the case with Fisher.

We don't see the ass chewings... because that is done in private like it is supposed to be.

Times are always changing too. There is no doubt in my mind that our HC relates to today's players better than the old retreads that make up much of the NFL's coaching staffs. We've moved way out ahead of the pack with McSlay... not the other way around.

And.... we've all seen McSlay's humbleness on full display when he feels that he has much to still learn. He's not too prideful to think that he's got all the answers to everything already... and that's not the case with most of the NFL's dinosaur coaches... he is learning and implementing more all the time. Imagine how that must scare the hell out of the rest of the league.

Give me a double helping of McSlay please. I'll take his coaching approach and style over every single coach out there... including the cheater. McSlay is the future, and EVERYBODY else is trying to find their own McSlay now because they can see it plain as day. Good thing he's a one of a kind.

Absolutely!
Could not have said it better myself.
:)

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me.. McVay seems like the kinda coach who will praise you in public and have your back 100% he will take the blame and fall on his sword

But in private I think he will let you know that you dun fucked up in no uncertain terms wether that’ll be tearing you a new one or just by being that one person in your life that we all have that you never want to let down or disappoint

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Praise in public... correct in private.

Ass chewings may not be the best description. But after hearing the players themselves talk about how they are now held ACCOUNTABLE FOR EVERYTHING... there has to be what amounts to a form of ass chewings that go on when a player doesn't do his job the way he's been asked to. Those moments may also be called teaching moments... but I have a feeling that when players REPEATEDLY make the same mistakes... the positive tone of the teaching moment will morph into more of an ass chew tone if you know what I mean. You don't have to be screamed at to be called out.

Players like coaches who make them better. They're not going to be offended or get their feelings hurt when they are given stern correction after they continue to repeat mistakes. They crave that sort of thing in times like that because, for whatever reason, the message wasn't sticking with them before. As emotional as I've seen McSlay... I bet he's had a few "moments" when things go wrong. LOL

That's what I'm envisioning when I say ass chewings.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Agree with the OP as far as McVay being the prime reason for the culture change. I disagree a bit about him being to buddy buddy with his players. Seems to me he holds players accountable, in the RIGHT way.

As Far as the "Old Rams" Yeah.. that was all that POS Shaw.

I think what McVay has done is a create a culture where players hold each other accountable. These guys are grown men. If a player needs someone to hold his hand I gotta think that is where they part ways with those kind of guys. Holding a players hand was the Fisher era. The Rams now want players who can motivate themselves.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think players hold themselves accountable more with McBae. The dude has shown that he will move on from a player(s) if the talent or effort isn't there. Sometimes its what a coach DOESN'T say that can motivate a player. I know I would be motivated to play for that guy, just due to his excitement and love for the game. That shit must be infectious.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I recall reading AD commenting on McVay not being shy of calling out players who made mistakes in practice in no uncertain terms. Including AD, himself.

“Ass chewing” might be a little strong, but McVay demanded near perfection in every aspect from his players. He was known for running a play again and again until every player had it down pat. He was no coddler, that’s for sure.

The results on the field speak for themselves.

Yeah he was known from day one to make them re-run things and put the focus on execution in practice much like Bill Walsh did back in the day in SF. Maybe not to that extent (the old runnin a play till you puke thing lol) but still he gets it.

And the other area I think the Rams do a good job now vice before is in film review. The Patriots for example are known to flat-out embarrass dudes on film day after a game. I think McVay does a good job of illustrating the mistakes and things that have to improve and clearly it's working.

I don't want to get into Wade Phillips and what a windfall he was for a first time head coach, because McVay was skilled and prescient enough to hire him so in many ways that goes back to him being special. But he does have a fantastic staff that makes up for his areas of weakness and I have to think given Wade's comments "he helps us too" that by the time Wade retires Sean is going to be well on his way to a Belichick type grasp of both sides of the ball and that's really when you got something in a HC.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There aren't many owners out there who have elevated a garbage franchise as quickly as Stan has done for the Rams

You're forgetting that he also presided over this franchise when it sucked badly.

He has had 30% of the team since it moved to STL, and 100% since 2010.

What has elevated this franchise is three things.

QB, GM and playcaller/HC.

When those three things came about the team started winning. Before that the team stunk.

I've always said those were the three most important people on the payroll and the Rams have them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're forgetting that he also presided over this franchise when it sucked badly.

He has had 30% of the team since it moved to STL, and 100% since 2010.

What has elevated this franchise is three things.

QB, GM and playcaller/HC.

When those three things came about the team started winning. Before that the team stunk.

I've always said those were the three most important people on the payroll and the Rams have them.

I don't agree he "presided over" the team and its critical decision making as a minority owner Les. In fact to my eye at least there was a clear and obvious change from the top the moment he took over. Right out the gate he hired the consensus best HC on the market, something that would never have happened when Georgia & Shaw were running the show.

I love McVay. But a team with an owner who sucks and who just gets lucky with a coaching hire will inevitably return to the bottom. A team with an owner who has the right stuff will find the right pieces. In his short term as owner he has made some fantastic moves and built a front office that rivals any in this league. Les Snead and Kevin Demoff are enormous upgrades over Shaw and Ziggy. THAT is all Kroenke.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't agree he "presided over" the team and its critical decision making as a minority owner Les. In fact to my eye at least there was a clear and obvious change from the top the moment he took over. Right out the gate he hired the consensus best HC on the market, something that would never have happened when Georgia & Shaw were running the show.

After he took over 30% he had a say, and wasn't pushed to the side when important things were decided.

And by the way he let Fisher stay for 5 years.

Let's not pretend he is some amazing and perfect owner with largess in his heart for the fanbase, because he is not that type of owner and fans of his other teams will back me up on that. His goal is to have a team. TO have a team.

He also let Demoff do the heavy lifting when it came to hiring Snead, and then Snead and Demoff did the heavy lifting when it came to getting McVay.

This team has Demoff and Snead's fingerprints all over it.

Snead, rocking the hand knotted gold bowtie with the pink and white gingham shirt.

Dude is fearless with personell and wardrobe!!!!!

Zodi

Hall of Fame
He also let Demoff do the heavy lifting when it came to hiring Snead, and then Snead and Demoff did the heavy lifting when it came to getting McVay.

That's a negative? I'd much rather have an owner who lets football people do their job rather than someone like Dan Snyder.

And how is Kroenke blamed for Fisher (who brought in loads of talent) but doesn't get any credit for McVay? Demoff was on board for both hires. Hell, Demoff was on board when Spagnoulo was the HC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After he took over 30% he had a say, and wasn't pushed to the side when important things were decided.

And by the way he let Fisher stay for 5 years.

Let's not pretend he is some amazing and perfect owner with largess in his heart for the fanbase, because he is not that type of owner and fans of his other teams will back me up on that. His goal is to have a team. TO have a team.

This team has Demoff and Snead's fingerprints all over it.

I'm not taking anything away from McVay, Demoff, or Snead. But I do think a lot of Rams fans take Stan for granted which is why I mention all that.