McVay changed the whole culture (not owner, not GM)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not taking anything away from McVay, Demoff, or Snead. But I do think a lot of Rams fans take Stan for granted which is why I mention all that.
And we all know there are some that will never give him any credit no matter what happens or what he actually may do or not.

dang

Legend
I have followed the Rams since 1971. The horns and Roman Gabriel hooked me. As a RAMS fan - not a St Louis Rams or LA Rams fan - I couldn't be happier right now. In the 1970s they were relevant each year. Then they hit lightening in a bottle 1999 - 2001. Otherwise they have been mediocre to bottom dwellers UNTIL Kroenke took control and made the best decision for the RAMS franchise. "BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME". He has built one of the top coaching staffs, one of the top organization staffs, building the gem stadium/facility of the NFL and building a franchise that will make them relevant for many years to come. I know some of the decisions along the way are hard to some fans but as a RAMS fan - I am ecstatic and have a team that I can be excited about until I am too old and feeble to care about football anymore.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Yes, McVay changed the culture by installing an offense. Rams doubled PPG average in year one, have not looked back.

As for Stan, the best thing an owner can do is hire excellent people, allow the team to spend to the cap, and stay out of the way. He checks all 3 of those boxes.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
And we all know there are some that will never give him any credit no matter what happens or what he actually may do or not.
download (2).jpg

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'm not taking anything away from McVay, Demoff, or Snead. But I do think a lot of Rams fans take Stan for granted which is why I mention all that.

You are exactly right imo. Kroenke has been totally underestimated. He's an exemplary owner. He has set the direction for the organization and the Rams' success.

Kroenke has hired or approved all the key personal and key signings, often very quickly when needed (e.g. McVay). Totally supported every need of the organization. Paid the players without stinting. Involved in all major decisions but doesn't meddle. Isn't full of himself, doesn't pontificate, and doesn't require constant attention or credit. And when was the last time any major sports owner built a stadium without asking for public funding?

TexasRam

Legend
I would say maybe the greatest reason for the Rams success is Mcvays system, and ability to teach it married with his trust in his coaches to have full ownership over their peice. Specifically Wade and Kromer.

This is where Fisher failed. He tried to have control over offense when he was a defensive\Special Teams guy.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
I would say maybe the greatest reason for the Rams success is Mcvays system, and ability to teach it married with his trust in his coaches to have full ownership over their peice. Specifically Wade and Kromer.

This is where Fisher failed. He tried to have control over offense when he was a defensive\Special Teams guy.

And that was his downfall, refusing to do what Dick Vermeil did in 1999, giving Mike Martz control of the O.

Any chance Fisher would have interviewed a young Sean Mcvay for the OC job, say 2014 when McVay got the OC job in Washington? Nope, Fisher was not forward thinking.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I agree with the accepted wisdom McVay is the reason the Rams have improved. He may also be the reason Snead has improved. Stan has been owner since 2010 when the Rams sucked big time but....

He honorably gave Spagnuolo 3 tries. Like others have said, after canning Spags he hired the hottest available head coach in Fisher. He moved the team back to Los Angeles and is building what should be a phenominal stadium. And as my friend from another board, Canuck pointed out, despite giving Fisher a nice contract extension he fired him anyway when it was clear he was antiquated in many ways. Then he hired a boy genius and to use an old clique, we've gone from the outhouse to penthouse in short order. McVay is great. Snead is great. Goff is great (almost there) but Stan deserves all the kudos for bringing it all to fruition.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kevin Demoff deserves a lion's share of the credit. The guy has kept our cap in good position for basically the entire time he was here, and he's gotten the contracts done that have kept our franchise not just afloat, but sailing smooth.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Any chance Fisher would have interviewed a young Sean Mcvay for the OC job, say 2014 when McVay got the OC job in Washington? Nope, Fisher was not forward thinking.

He also had shit for a QB. Which makes a BIG fat difference in landing an upcoming OC, especially in this current NFL.

If Goff was on the roster three years earlier with a decent OL I suspect it would have been easier to land prospects at that position.

Though I don't know if Fisher would have selected well, but his options would have been wider.

IMO his job was lost because he picked very poorly at OC.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Kevin Demoff deserves a lion's share of the credit. The guy has kept our cap in good position for basically the entire time he was here, and he's gotten the contracts done that have kept our franchise not just afloat, but sailing smooth.

I wont say lions share, but he's been a factor for sure. And it's no secret I cannot stand that little snake for what they did to STL.

But he is, simply put, a great cap manager, and doesn't make stupid financial mistakes on players very often, in fact rarely.

By the way people.

Kroenke was a 30% shareholder when Demoff was hired. Chip and Lucia had inherited their mothers portion and had not yet sold it.

Chip was the guy "in charge". Owner and CEO.

So what do you make of that?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't agree he "presided over" the team and its critical decision making as a minority owner Les. In fact to my eye at least there was a clear and obvious change from the top the moment he took over. Right out the gate he hired the consensus best HC on the market, something that would never have happened when Georgia & Shaw were running the show.

I love McVay. But a team with an owner who sucks and who just gets lucky with a coaching hire will inevitably return to the bottom. A team with an owner who has the right stuff will find the right pieces. In his short term as owner he has made some fantastic moves and built a front office that rivals any in this league. Les Snead and Kevin Demoff are enormous upgrades over Shaw and Ziggy. THAT is all Kroenke.

Kroenke didn't hire Demoff..........unless you are willing to concede that he had more of a hand in things than you may have thought. Which I have always thought he did in fact have.

As I pointed out, Demoff was hired by Chip Rosenbloom, CEO at the time.

And it's NOT just the coaching hire.

Again just my opinion. GM/QB/Playcaller (whether its the HC or OC).

Our Rams had a dizzying run from 99-01 with a completely awful owner.

Why was that.........?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Kroenke has hired or approved all the key personal and key signings, often very quickly when needed (e.g. McVay). Totally supported every need of the organization. Paid the players without stinting. Involved in all major decisions but doesn't meddle. Isn't full of himself, doesn't pontificate, and doesn't require constant attention or credit. And when was the last time any major sports owner built a stadium without asking for public funding?

Most of that is just not true.

He hasn't hired or approved key signings that's a huge leap. That's not what he does.

He doesn't have anything to do with paying players, that's Demoff.

Being involved in all major decisions is a bit of meddling.

He is FAR from the first sports team owner to build a stadium. And by the way he is getting help from local revenue, he isn't paying for all of it. There is some help from public funding.

You're a bit behind lol.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree with the accepted wisdom McVay is the reason the Rams have improved. He may also be the reason Snead has improved. Stan has been owner since 2010 when the Rams sucked big time but....

He honorably gave Spagnuolo 3 tries. Like others have said, after canning Spags he hired the hottest available head coach in Fisher. He moved the team back to Los Angeles and is building what should be a phenominal stadium. And as my friend from another board, Canuck pointed out, despite giving Fisher a nice contract extension he fired him anyway when it was clear he was antiquated in many ways. Then he hired a boy genius and to use an old clique, we've gone from the outhouse to penthouse in short order. McVay is great. Snead is great. Goff is great (almost there) but Stan deserves all the kudos for bringing it all to fruition.

Don’t forget Kevin Demoff !!

He lied to St. Louis & took hits from the fans. I believe he interviewed here on Rams Demand ?
He was a big part of hiring McVay in the first place. Same when he hired Snead.

Demoff was a big part Wade is here as well. He would not have hired McVay without Wade.

Demoff fires Fisher after the Eric Dickerson blow up. The Ram fans were about to turn on The Rams. He knew what is important. He helped keep Bones here as well.

Demoff is the middle man to Stan !! He has a lot of pull.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

He hasn't hired or approved key signings that's a huge leap. That's not what he does.

He is FAR from the first sports team owner to build a stadium. And by the way he is getting help from local revenue, he isn't paying for all of it. There is some help from public funding.

You're a bit behind lol.

Kronke deserves a heck of a lot of credit though.

What’s up with the Nuggets & Colorado Avalanche ??

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

You're a bit behind lol.
May I politely ask what your basis is for these statements? For example that Kroenke has not been involved in or approved key signings, for example McVay Donald Suh? Or that he doesn’t have anything to do with paying players? Would also like to see examples of owners spending as much as Kroenke on their facilities or getting less public revenues?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
As far as changing the ‘culture’ of the team... I still give credit to Fisher for being a bridge between the days of hopelessness (Spags/Linehan) and the days of glory (McVay).

Say what you will about Fisher, but... his players tried their guts out for him, and he helped make the Rams respectable again. Also...notably... I don’t think I’ve ever heard a former player EVER say a negative thing about him or throw him under the bus. Fisher definitely had a huge overall positive impact on the ‘culture’ of the Rams.

BTW, he had a weakness for picking stupid players, his teams were undisciplined, and he couldn’t field a competent offense to save his life, yadda yadda yadda. OTOH, his defenses were always solid, and I think most of his players admired him and played hard for him.

Anyway... I’m not taking anything away from McVay, who I think is the best thing to happen to the Rams since, uh, the dawn of time. Just noting that McVay took over a decent team that had some tools to work with... and *some* of the credit should be given to Fisher.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kroenke didn't hire Demoff..........unless you are willing to concede that he had more of a hand in things than you may have thought. Which I have always thought he did in fact have.

As I pointed out, Demoff was hired by Chip Rosenbloom, CEO at the time.

And it's NOT just the coaching hire.

Again just my opinion. GM/QB/Playcaller (whether its the HC or OC).

Our Rams had a dizzying run from 99-01 with a completely awful owner.

Why was that.........?

We're never going to see eye to eye on this my man, cheers.
:cheers:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
some wrote: "He's an exemplary owner."--> can't find this word to be near true...but, maybe i am wrong.

Stan he said 2 meek sentences after the NFCC win, so for me, that is the only 'exemplary' thing I take away from his entire ownership tenure, and the stadium decision (maybe). he didn't hit on OR FIND McVay he 'allowed' IT....and that is it...he has 5 bill, he better learn to give it away--that is his job, and he does it well enough