Matt Stafford Traded to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
After the Carolina offer was made public, it without a doubt showed we didn't overpay. You mentioned just the picks and how their offer was better but Goff was what swung the deal. Don't forget Carolina offered Bridgewater as well with pick 8 + their 4th rounder. Goff is better than Bridgewater, but given his contract and how Carolina offered more trade value with pick 8 than both our 1st rounders combined... its pretty even value. One could even argue that Carolina offered more.

Also dont forget Stafford specifically said he wanted to come to LA. He insisted on that, and by all accounts the Lions wanted to do right by him. Who knows if he didnt say he wanted to be in LA, the Lions could have taken the Carolina offer.

Yep.

The rest of the league looked around after our deal with Stafford for Goff and picks and realized how stuck they were.

GB, Seattle and Houston refusing to be without a QB in the game of musical QBs leaving the prize as Wentz... with little behind him.

With hindsight, it'd be interesting if teams had it to do over to see if anyone would have offered more. I think they would.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
In before da lock
I’m not suggesting that this thread (at a robust 141 pages in less than four weeks) should be locked. That decision is beyond my pay-grade.

However, I would note that the long-running and widely popular Boobies and Booty threads on Off Topic are at 126 and 112 pages, respectively.

I am not saying, I’m just saying.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I’m not suggesting that this thread should be locked. That decision is beyond my pay-grade.

However, I would note that the long-running and widely popular Boobies and Booty threads on Off Topic are at 126 and 112 pages, respectively.

There are some boobs in this thread as well.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I’m not suggesting that this thread (at a robust 141 pages in less than four weeks) should be locked. That decision is beyond my pay-grade.

boobies and booty thread can be read over and over and over. I’d swear there was 1500 pages in that thread.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Brockers was interviewed by TMZ and said Stafford is a "level up" from Goff. I like his honesty.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

Maybe those threads don't go as long since something comes up that needs to be taken care of that therefore takes them away from the thread sooner? :unsure::hush:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This league is crazy man. A couple years ago even right after the Super Bowl I was smugly thinking we had two future Hall types in Goff and Gurley, both of whom were in their early to mid 20s. Now it's gonna be Stafford and Akers. Not for long indeed.

You gotta produce in this league. When you don't teams move on. Players do it too btw. Produce the money or they move on. :biggrin:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Brockers was interviewed by TMZ and said Stafford is a "level up" from Goff. I like his honesty.

Still surprised to see that Goff's career QB rating is higher than Stafford's. Of course Stafford has been at it twice as long and with much worse teams. So maybe that will even out over time? But you would think that if Stafford is a "level up" he would be rated higher too.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well,sure... until you drill down into how bad their run production was and how poor most of those defenses played...

David Carr in a similar situation lasted only a few years.

It’s a testament to Stafford’s skill and fortitude that he’s still performing at a high level this deep into his career.

I can honestly see a bit of a Warner-esque bump from Stafford. If y’all remember,Warner said when coming to the Rams that after the Arena league, the windows were massive in comparison. I think just the different game situations alone will afford Stafford to put up an MVP level season.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Still surprised to see that Goff's career QB rating is higher than Stafford's. Of course Stafford has been at it twice as long and with much worse teams. So maybe that will even out over time? But you would think that if Stafford is a "level up" he would be rated higher too.

Watch the film and use your eyes and brain to evaluate talent. Don't go by just stats. Stats help supplement the game film, and work if all things are equal outside of the two players you're comparing. The same reason I laughed at people around here for saying Watson wasn't worth a trade. And that Goff was just as good or better because Watson went 4-12 last year. People think he's not that good because he couldn't "carry" his team to more than 4 wins last year.. it's just pure delusion. Its been the same story with Stafford for a decade. If you put Stafford on the Rams from 2016-2020 he would have a better QB rating than Goff 100% and we would have a SB win.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Watch the film and use your eyes and brain to evaluate talent. Don't go by just stats. Stats help supplement the game film, and work if all things are equal outside of the two players you're comparing. The same reason I laughed at people around here for saying Watson wasn't worth a trade. And that Goff was just as good or better because Watson went 4-12 last year. People think he's not that good because he couldn't "carry" his team to more than 4 wins last year.. it's just pure delusion. Its been the same story with Stafford for a decade. If you put Stafford on the Rams from 2016-2020 he would have a better QB rating than Goff 100% and we would have a SB win.
I watched the Lions/Texans game from Thanksgiving this yr... they played it on NFLN yesterday.

Well, let's just say that I was not blown away.

I really hope it was due to a poor offensive scheme. Because he had time to throw, but also took coverage sacks instead of throwing it away. Threw one right to JJ Watt for a pick 6, who did make a great play, but Goff would be killed for that throw. Overall inconsistent accuracy, with yes some great throws too.

Again, I hope a change of scenery revitalizes him, because he looked like a talented player, who just settles in with a bad team and doesn't make a difference. Did not elevate them.

I mean they say the Seahawks would be a 5 win team w/o Wilson. Well the Lions were a 5 win team with Stafford. Think about that.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I watched the Lions/Texans game from Thanksgiving this yr... they played it on NFLN yesterday.

Well, let's just say that I was not blown away.

I really hope it was due to a poor offensive scheme. Because he had time to throw, but also took coverage sacks instead of throwing it away. Threw one right to JJ Watt for a pick 6, who did make a great play, but Goff would be killed for that throw. Overall inconsistent accuracy, with yes some great throws too.

Again, I hope a change of scenery revitalizes him, because he looked like a talented player, who just settles in with a bad team and doesn't make a difference. Did not elevate them.

I mean they say the Seahawks would be a 5 win team w/o Wilson. Well the Lions were a 5 win team with Stafford. Think about that.

Well having the 32nd ranked running game, 31st ranked defense, a terrible offensive scheme, and no #1 WR due to injury the entire year is an environment not many QBs can overcome.

Yet all those things considered, Stafford STILL put up better numbers and put more good play on tape than Goff...who just so happended to have the #1 defense, #10 running game, and McVay scheming and calling plays. Think about that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well having the 32nd ranked running game, 31st ranked defense, a terrible offensive scheme, and no #1 WR due to injury the entire year is an environment not many QBs can overcome.

Yet all those things considered, Stafford STILL put up better numbers and put more good play on tape than Goff...who just so happended to have the #1 defense, #10 running game, and McVay scheming and calling plays. Think about that.

man, he was traded away 2 months ago and you're still fixated on goff.

let it go man.

6cb1b0c971c82ffdde215f6cea5f7c80.jpg

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn’t find it amongst the 141 pages in this thread. Have we had confirmation that we are giving up pick 89 this year rather than one of our compensatory 3rd round picks?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He brings up Goff all the time.

he's in midseason form.

you'd think he'd be ecstatic the rams traded goff away for stafford and be happy with life. it seems there's still a lot of anger in him.

MachS

Hall of Fame
man, he was traded away 2 months ago and you're still fixated on goff.

let it go man.

6cb1b0c971c82ffdde215f6cea5f7c80.jpg

I'm responding to people who quoted me my dude. Im not fixated on Goff at all lol but I have an issue with people talking shit about Stafford because they didn't like the trade and haven't watched him play. Why dont you direct your attention to those people who don't want to support our new QB.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn’t find it amongst the 141 pages in this thread. Have we had confirmation that we are giving up pick 89 this year rather than one of our compensatory 3rd round picks?

This should probably become a sticky until the Compensation picks are released :

Status
Not open for further replies.