Matt Stafford Traded to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
man, he was traded away 2 months ago and you're still fixated on goff.

let it go man.

6cb1b0c971c82ffdde215f6cea5f7c80.jpg

He brings up Goff all the time.

Weird angle. All I see is people continually bringing up Goff to find ways to prove the Stafford trade wasn’t necessary. It’s tough not to mention Goff when replying to those posts.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well having the 32nd ranked running game, 31st ranked defense, a terrible offensive scheme, and no #1 WR due to injury the entire year is an environment not many QBs can overcome.

Yet all those things considered, Stafford STILL put up better numbers and put more good play on tape than Goff...who just so happended to have the #1 defense, #10 running game, and McVay scheming and calling plays. Think about that.
Dude, just talking abt Stafford.

And he will not have a #1 WR here either. We have a couple #2's. He also won't have a TE like Hochenstein. And if he holds the ball like he did in Detroit, he will get hit...a lot.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Dude, just talking abt Stafford.

And he will not have a #1 WR here either. We have a couple #2's. He also won't have a TE like Hochenstein. And if he holds the ball like he did in Detroit, he will get hit...a lot.
If Woods and Kupp are "#2s," then so are Golloway and Jones. Hockenson may be better than Higbee, but we're not talking about a huge margin there.

The biggest issue which you didn't mention is the running game. The Lions averaged 93.7 yards/4.1 ypc last year. The Rams averaged 126.1 yards/4.3 ypc.

I think Stafford will post career best numbers next year with the Rams.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If Woods and Kupp are "#2s," then so are Golloway and Jones. Hockenson may be better than Higbee, but we're not talking about a huge margin there.

The biggest issue which you didn't mention is the running game. The Lions averaged 93.7 yards/4.1 ypc last year. The Rams averaged 126.1 yards/4.3 ypc.

I think Stafford will post career best numbers next year with the Rams.
Hope so... I just keep thinking back to how quick this all happened. What, like two wks after the playoff loss? I just hope it isn't like one of my wife's impulse QVC purchases where she has to send it back in a month when she realizes the product wasnt what she thought it was.

Well see.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Can't wait until the calendar year starts so we can discuss FAs, draft picks, and NFL scheduling only to go back to this thread when the draft is over

Name
MistahTroupe
I can see and understand both sides of the argument when it comes to the Goff and M. Stafford situation. This is meant in no way as a bash against Goff. Cause i do wish him the best in his career so long as he not playing the Rams.

But having watched Goff develop as a QB from college on the CAL Bears to a pro and with the ups and downs that he has had success wise in his career.

What always stood out to me and I don't want to say its gotten "worse" as a pro, but more so "inconsistent" and hasn't improved consistently over his time in the Pro's as it was heavily touted during his College years was his pocket awareness / Pocket Presence.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4MFXKq02l8

Good example and breakdown in college you could see he Goff had a lot more confidence in himself and was a lot better when it came to his pocket awareness.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVl0uPDMBW0

Goff is a good QB who will make plays no doubt and sure there are a lot of things that could have played into him not improving in this area as a pro (oline,coaching,injuries,all star defenses,etc). But when you look on the other side of this situation and look at the plays Stafford has made as a pro with the restrictions he has had.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay40mozD1kA&t=62s

It's impressive to think what Stafford can and will do in this offense under McVay as coming out of college the thing people dinged him for was his inconsistent pocket awareness and he has actually improved as a pro in some areas compared to Goff imo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcbJGA_ilQk

Lastly would I be surprised if The Rams during FA make a run despite the limited cap at one of the Detroit Lions WR's. No i wouldn't simply for the chemistry factor that would bring to the Rams at the position and for Stafford. In the end i don't think its a case of Stafford Being better than Goff, but more so Stafford being the better fit at QB for the type of offense that McVay wants to run for the Rams going forward.

MT

Last edited:

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
This should probably become a sticky until the Compensation picks are released :

Thanks River. I've seen Draft orders like this that have us giving up 89 but I've not seen anything official from any source. None of the trade announcements mentioned a specific 3rd rd pick and neither the Rams nor the Lions have confirmed which picks are involved (not that I can find anyway).

My question is, is it just supposition from these sites that show us giving up 89?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Thanks River. I've seen Draft orders like this that have us giving up 89 but I've not seen anything official from any source. None of the trade announcements mentioned a specific 3rd rd pick and neither the Rams nor the Lions have confirmed which picks are involved (not that I can find anyway).

My question is, is it just supposition from these sites that show us giving up 89?

I honestly don't know, ... i'm going to assume the website knows something that I don't know though as I based my most recent mock off of it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

we'll find out in about a week when the trade will become official.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Watch the film and use your eyes and brain to evaluate talent. Don't go by just stats. Stats help supplement the game film, and work if all things are equal outside of the two players you're comparing. The same reason I laughed at people around here for saying Watson wasn't worth a trade. And that Goff was just as good or better because Watson went 4-12 last year. People think he's not that good because he couldn't "carry" his team to more than 4 wins last year.. it's just pure delusion. Its been the same story with Stafford for a decade. If you put Stafford on the Rams from 2016-2020 he would have a better QB rating than Goff 100% and we would have a SB win.

If you'd said 2017-2020, I'd agree with you, but if he does well in 2016, they don't fire Fisher.

Sorry, every change in the past that would have allowed Fisher to remain is over-ruled.

I shudder to think about those days... not because they were the worst, but by leaving, Fisher opened the door for McVay... who's one of the best HCs this franchise has ever had and once his career is done, I think he will be the best by a long ways...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Conversely, Detroit throws to their backs more than the Rams do, and the Lions RB game is more effective there
Rams RB- 50 rec/ 442 yds
Det RB- 77 rec/ 745 yds
When you breakdown total RB production, they are almost identical
Rams, 2112 total yards, 434 attempts, 4.87 ypt
Lions, 1951 total yards, 400 attempts, 4.88 ypt

Looking at QB stats, pretty similar as well
Stafford, 64.2% comp, 255.3 ypg, 26 td in 16 games (1.63 TD pg)
Goff, 67% comp, 263.5 ypg, 24 td in 15 games (1.6 TD pg)
Turnovers? Only discernible variance, Stafford 11 TO in 16, Goff 17 TO in 15

Which is why stats really dont matter. The only stat that matters is this:
Starting QB For Los Angeles Rams 2021?
Matt Stafford

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Fellas, do what you gotta do in the privacy of your own homes. Just turn your cameras off, please!

Don't need to see that AT ALL!

Agree — would be better if we didn’t hear about it. Negative posting & not talking about The Rams or players is WEAK Imo.

Shuie3225

Starter
I agree with some of your points but this is a tad harsh.

This forum was founded in part because of extremely divisive opinions regarding a former Rams QB. At the time, many of us were on that site. Most of the long time posters here actually.

So the foundation of this forum was "support your team and your QB", and that permeated through, and IMO went too far. It's still a great forum, but as I've pointed out before, on the Seahawks most popular forum their posters are harder on Russell Wilson than we were as a group on Jared Goff. Much harder. He's likely a first ballot hall of famer.

You have some people, like yourself - no offense - who take it too far. Even now while I'm posting this, someone is undoubtedly quoting your post and pointing out that "still can't read a defense" isn't accurate and "garbage" is just not true. And if I'm being honest here, posts like this ultimately hurt someone like me or @Merlin who calmly, with no hate or dislike, believe it was time to move on.

Thankfully it does seem like most of the forum has come around. One of the good points you made was the severity of the turnovers - we can look at Goff's stats and compare to Stafford's or Peyton Manning or anyone else - but watching the inexcusable turnovers was the most painful part over the last two years. It's beyond rational debate that Goff was below average last year, and if McVay wanted to move on, the logical conclusion is that there's more to the story that we don't know. Of course, as human beings, if you wanted to move on from Goff, then the unknown was Goff's fault, and if you wanted Goff to remain the QB, then the unknown was McVay's fault.

At the end of the day, posts like this just aren't going to help people get on board - they're going to, if anything, encourage fans to jump ship.

I'm not denying it was harsh, but what I said is the flat out truth. A thread that was created to get excited about our new QB has turned into the old pro-Goff fanboys that defended him with every breath, trying to bash Stafford or hate on the trade. They can't get over the fact that their "elite" QB was shipped out of town for peanuts. And dont get it twisted, there were A LOT of posters that would argue all day about Goff being great. All fucking day. So if moderation wanted to keep the board theme of "support your team and your QB" these people would be told to calm down. But when its people with thousands and thousands of posts, board moderation wont do that.

Many posters have been providing tons of Stafford content to get people excited, yet the same 10 posters are still talking about how Goff had more wins and how well Stafford needs to play or McVay needs to lose his job. It's all a bunch of bullshit and the hypocrisy around here is becoming more and more evident. I don't care how many fucking posts someone has, everyone should be held to the same standard. This thread has literally been ruined by the same people every single day posting about Goff instead of showing excitement for Stafford. The shit is old and I'm sure it's caused many people to run away from this thread, which was created for us to unite and be excited about Stafford and the Rams' future.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But when its people with thousands and thousands of posts, board moderation wont do that.
Yeah okay.

Members with 10-100x the posts you have, have already been tossed from here. Also, you don’t know what happens behind the scenes. Believe me when I tell you, moderators are all over it. That said, just because you don’t like the content some members post, doesn’t mean you can call in a hitman and have him whacked. For example, there were PLENTY of Goff detractors when he was still on the team, probably you included, and mods got called in to take those dudes out too. They didn’t. So how about this. If you don’t like someone’s post, debate it or ignore it. It’s not necessary to respond to everything, after all.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not denying it was harsh, but what I said is the flat out truth. A thread that was created to get excited about our new QB has turned into the old pro-Goff fanboys that defended him with every breath, trying to bash Stafford or hate on the trade. They can't get over the fact that their "elite" QB was shipped out of town for peanuts. And dont get it twisted, there were A LOT of posters that would argue all day about Goff being great. All fucking day. So if moderation wanted to keep the board theme of "support your team and your QB" these people would be told to calm down. But when its people with thousands and thousands of posts, board moderation wont do that.

Many posters have been providing tons of Stafford content to get people excited, yet the same 10 posters are still talking about how Goff had more wins and how well Stafford needs to play or McVay needs to lose his job. It's all a bunch of bullshit and the hypocrisy around here is becoming more and more evident. I don't care how many fucking posts someone has, everyone should be held to the same standard. This thread has literally been ruined by the same people every single day posting about Goff instead of showing excitement for Stafford. The shit is old and I'm sure it's caused many people to run away from this thread, which was created for us to unite and be excited about Stafford and the Rams' future.

1615337806782.png

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Conversely, Detroit throws to their backs more than the Rams do, and the Lions RB game is more effective there
Rams RB- 50 rec/ 442 yds
Det RB- 77 rec/ 745 yds
When you breakdown total RB production, they are almost identical
Rams, 2112 total yards, 434 attempts, 4.87 ypt
Lions, 1951 total yards, 400 attempts, 4.88 ypt

Looking at QB stats, pretty similar as well
Stafford, 64.2% comp, 255.3 ypg, 26 td in 16 games (1.63 TD pg)
Goff, 67% comp, 263.5 ypg, 24 td in 15 games (1.6 TD pg)
Turnovers? Only discernible variance, Stafford 11 TO in 16, Goff 17 TO in 15

Which is why stats really dont matter. The only stat that matters is this:
Starting QB For Los Angeles Rams 2021?
Matt Stafford
That’s a conflation of apples and oranges. The running game sets up play action, which helps the QB. Throws to RBs don’t have that impact.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Watch the film and use your eyes and brain to evaluate talent. Don't go by just stats. Stats help supplement the game film, and work if all things are equal outside of the two players you're comparing. The same reason I laughed at people around here for saying Watson wasn't worth a trade. And that Goff was just as good or better because Watson went 4-12 last year. People think he's not that good because he couldn't "carry" his team to more than 4 wins last year.. it's just pure delusion. Its been the same story with Stafford for a decade. If you put Stafford on the Rams from 2016-2020 he would have a better QB rating than Goff 100% and we would have a SB win.
That’s a safe prediction, but let’s see what he does with the Rams in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.