Marcus Peters to the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
We don't care who the better pound-for-pound player is. We need the better player period. The Rams chose Ogletree when they gave him the huge extension. They also made him the defensive play-caller. Ogletree is the guy. We're going to need a stouter LB to pair with him. Barron is a good WLB. But he's not a great fit next to Ogletree in a 3-4. I hoped he could pull it off, but the 2017 season shows he could not.

Ogletree does miss tackles. It's frustrating. But Barron was the guy who had the big issue with missing assignments, especially in the running game. That's not surprising considering he was a safety for most of his life.

Yeah, if Barron was in a different system he might be a better fit but in a 3-4, we need at least one thumper. Barron getting rag dolled by pulling guards was not pretty. Even that one handed UCF LB could shed & stack blockers, because he was never a converted safety (edit: and he even looks lighter than Barron, lol). We can't defend the run consistently with a defacto nickel defense every play.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams’ trade for Marcus Peters proves their belief in their football culture

BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR

tpaylor@kcstar.com

February 24, 2018 10:15 PM

Updated February 25, 2018 11:17 AM

In professional football, the name of the game is winning. So much so that one good season is enough to make you The Next Big Thing, the one who can do no wrong.

Exhibit A for this is the Los Angeles Rams’ young coach, Sean McVay, who happened to be in Kansas City for a major event just one day after news broke surrounding the Rams’ trade for star Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters.

McVay, who was at the 101 Awards on Saturday at Westin Crown Center to receive his NFC coach of the year honor, smiled wide and spoke enthusiastically during the press conference before the event.

Positivity and enthusiasm are part of his ethos as a coach, and after the 32-year-old guided the Rams to a seven-win improvement in 2017 — while simultaneously working wonders with a previously-horrific offense — who’s to say there’s anything wrong with that?

Certainly not other coach-needy NFL teams like Indianapolis and Chicago, which spent the last few months seeking offensive-minded head coaches just like McVay in hopes of a similar turnaround.

So in the NFL, when you’re The Next Big Thing and things are going well, you can take chances. And don’t think for a second that the Rams’ acquisition of Peters, which cannot be finalized until the start of the new league year on March 14, isn’t rooted in confidence born in the Rams’ success this season.

“Right now, just because of where we’re at in the league year, you can’t make it official, so you have to be careful with some of the tampering,” McVay said, when asked directly about Peters. “But in a quick nugget, he’s a great player.”

There’s little doubt about that. Since 2015, Peters’ rookie season, no NFL cornerback has intercepted more passes than Peters, the mercurial Oakland native, who’s penchant for diagnosing routes and making plays is practically unmatched. At 25 years old, Peters is among the best cornerbacks in the league at a position of critical importance, one who could have been retained by the Chiefs for fairly reasonable sums the next two years.

Still, the Chiefs opted to punt on making him the league’s highest-paid corner in the near future, trading him Friday in a move that’s been in the works for three weeks. That little fact — of Peters likely garnering a big payday in the future — seemed to scare away several teams, as sources told The Star that only the Rams and 49ers stepped to the plate with interest.

It’s not a coincidence both are West Coast teams with young head coaches with leadership skills, as Peters’ preference for being close to his beloved hometown of Oakland has been long-established, while his coachability has been a question dating back to college.

But for McVay and the Rams, whose worst-to-first turnaround has rightfully inspired confidence in their system, the trade for Peters is essentially playing with house money. With Peters needing a new deal, he’s likely to play well, and is likely to be on his best behavior as the new kid on the block.

“These are grown men, and it starts with the mutual respect that exists, where they know it’s about developing and building relationships,” said McVay, who fosters that by being honest when he messes up too. “If we’re going to ask our players to be coachable, we’ve got to be coachable as coaches as well. That displays an ownership and an accountability that we try to all have and makes the players more receptive to the messages we try to implement.”

When it comes to discipline, McVay said he believes in establishing clear-cut boundaries, which could factor into his eventual handling of Peters, whom Chiefs coach Andy Reid suspended in late December for one game due to a combination of Peters’ on-field and off-field behavior.

“They know exactly what the expectations are, what our standards are, and they know what it is to do it the right way,” McVay said.

That’s why star defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who was also in Kansas City on Saturday to be honored as the NFC’s defensive player of the year by the 101 Committee, believes in the Rams’ ability to accommodate just about any personality.

“He’s a coach — he’ll get after you when you do something wrong,” Donald said of McVay. “Don’t let that smile fool you. I’ve seen that man change.”

One other thing the Rams have going for them is the presence of defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. While Peters often appeared to be frustrated at the on-field calls by Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton late last season — at least until his suspension — Phillips’ gravitas is real. Though Phillips is quiet, he also has a knack for putting his players in position to make plays, and when you throw in all the great players he’s coached — and don’t forget, Phillips was the guide of Denver’s Super Bowl-winning swashbuckling unit of a few years, which was one of the best in recent history — he’s got the command and respect of the entire locker room.

“Every little thing he says, it makes you want to listen to it and take the coaching,” Donald said.

But players ultimately set the tone in a locker room, and McVay likes the alpha males who establish the Rams’ football culture, especially defenders like Alec Ogletree, Connor Barwin and Donald, all of whom McVay explicitly mentioned by name.

“Special players like this have a real good influence, especially when they’re producing,” said McVay as he nodded toward Donald, who was sitting directly to his left.

Donald prefers to lead by example, and he noted the Rams have a lot of guys like that, who work hard and have helped McVay establish the right way of doing things.

Even former Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, who is now an NFL analyst, thinks a new team will be good for Peters, whose sometimes-explosive temperament caused more attention than his on-field play did at times last season.

“Sometimes a change of scenery will do a player good, and I hope that for Marcus, because he’s a phenomenal football player,” Gonzalez said. “But sometimes with personalities and situations, change is good. That’s why coaches get fired, players get traded. You’ve just got to move on and make it good.”

But in the meantime, the Rams are taking a chance after a winning season, a chance that makes sense. It’s a gamble for sure, but it’s one you can take when you’ve got the league copying your blueprint for success.

“When you’re looking at the way we want to operate philosophically, you can never have enough guys that can cover and be able to play some of the man principles that (defensive coordinator) Wade (Phillips) loves to implement,” McVay said.

“Anytime you have guys that can cover and do different things as far as matching up with receivers like Antonio Brown, that gives you a chance to be versatile and maybe mix some things up in terms of the pressures that you want to bring.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article202034504.html

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW's when Peters threw the flag into the stands, it was after the officials had called the Chiefs for pass interference/defensive holding on four straight plays on the goal line, two of which were on 4th downs...Now I'm not condoning the behavior, but the officiating was atrocious and Peters just reacted in frustration....I recall when I was playing in college and while pass blocking a defensive lineman inadvertently tripped over my leg:whistle: and then yelled out something to me, that I did not hear. I followed him into his defensive huddle for clarification ("Are you talking to me" moment) got flagged for 15 yards and benched for the rest of the game, but sometimes you just react.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
FWIW's when Peters threw the flag into the stands, it was after the officials had called the Chiefs for pass interference/defensive holding on four straight plays on the goal line, two of which were on 4th downs...Now I'm not condoning the behavior, but the officiating was atrocious and Peters just reacted in frustration....I recall when I was playing in college and while pass blocking a defensive lineman inadvertently tripped over my leg:whistle: and then yelled out something to me, that I did not hear. I followed him into his defensive huddle for clarification ("Are you talking to me" moment) got flagged for 15 yards and benched for the rest of the game, but sometimes you just react.

I’m glad you mentioned the Jets game as I watched it when it happened and though I’m not a Chiefs fan, I wanted to throw a flag on the refs for either being incompetent or biased. Peters knows he did wrong but I too understand why his emotions got the best of him. As to his frustration with the coaches, I recall Torry Holt having similar issues with Linehan. Yes, it should be handled in-house but this staff seems to do well with that consistently.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
. As to his frustration with the coaches, I recall Torry Holt having similar issues with Linehan. Yes, it should be handled in-house but this staff seems to do well with that consistently.

Holt was right....Anyway besides Wade Phillips being able to handle Marcus Peters, IMHO, Corner Back Coach Aubrey Pleasant will also be a good match. Pleasant had some issues at Wisconsin and was suspended, he has matured and now is looked upon as being one of the better DB Coaches in the NFL. Overall, all of us hope that Peters is able to harness his emotions because he is very talented and I would look forward to him being a Ram for many years to come.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, if Barron was in a different system he might be a better fit but in a 3-4, we need at least one thumper. Barron getting rag dolled by pulling guards was not pretty. Even that one handed UCF LB could shed & stack blockers, because he was never a converted safety (edit: and he even looks lighter than Barron, lol). We can't defend the run consistently with a defacto nickel defense every play.

You're right, John, that he can stack and shed, but he actually is a converted safety. ;)

Griffin is 223 pounds, but if he had a second hand, I expect he'd be 10 or so pounds heavier.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Barrett-16-768x205.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would have to be a heck of a lot better offer to justify jilting the Rams, since the Chief's front office would no longer be trusted by any other team - making ALL trades much tougher for them.

NFL front offices depend on getting along with every other team for transactions. Violate that, and it would be open season, at least for a while.

I think it's reasonably safe.
I don't buy that for a second. If they got an offer they couldn't refuse, they'd take it. And it wouldn't hurt their future trading, if a team wants an asset and KC will trade it, they'll make a deal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FWIW moment of my morning... I listen to WFAN sports radio in the morning primarily to listen to Boomer Esiason. Former player, hard working, covers the whole league.
I respect his opinion quite a bit, though it certainly doesn't influence mine.
In any event, during his broadcast today, and during his "sports minute", he repeatedly refers to the KC Chiefs as the "early winners of Free Agency" citing the trade of Alex Smith and how it landed them Kendall Fuller which enabled them to trade Peters to the Rams....
I think they got a haul for Smith, but applauding them for trading Peters?? Hmmm....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-peters-trade-what-it-means-for-kc-and-la

Chiefs, Rams agree to Marcus Peters trade, where do KC & LA go from here?
BY ERIC EAGER

The Kansas City Chiefs agreed to trade Marcus Peters to the Los Angeles Ramson Friday, jettisoning the second of their four most valuable players from 2017 this offseason. While Peters certainly has had his issues, including being dismissed from his college team and briefly suspended by the Chiefs this past season, he’s been an unmitigated playmaker between the white lines, leading all cornerbacks in interceptions (19) and tying for third in pass breakups (31) the last three seasons. After being targeted relentlessly (151 times) during his rookie season, Peters settled in a corner that teams shied away from, seeing only 79 passes into his coverage in 2017 (including playoffs).

Marcus-Peters.png

So why would the Chiefs cut bait on a player so clearly valuable after a season where their defensive personnel were never more exposed under Andy Reid and Bob Sutton? We address what this trade means looking backward and forward for the Chiefs, as well as what it means for the Rams as we look toward the future.

Did the Chiefs Get Their Draft Capital’s Worth from Peters?

To be short: yes. Using Pro Football Reference’s Approximate Value metric (AV, with its limitations understood), the 18th pick in the NFL draft has been worth, from 1994 to 2014, an average of 30.9 AV during a player’s time with his drafted team (through an average of about 6.5 seasons). Peters, through three seasons, has produced 29 AV, roughly double the time-adjusted value of said draft position.

This number is likely a little short with respect to his actual contribution, as well, since they his ability to eliminate half of the field has helped the Chiefs defense stay relatively above water despite giving significant snaps to players like Phillip Gaines (35.9 overall grade) and Terrance Mitchell (52.3) on the other side.

Not only has Peters provided the three years of plus value at a premium position, the Chiefs acquisition of draft capital in return (the specifics still unknown at this point) will have its own projected future value, from players playing at the discount inherent in rookie contracts, to add to what Peters has already contributed.

While it’s up to Brett Veach and his staff to make the most of said picks, the acquisition of Marcus Peters with the 18th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft was a positive one for the Chiefs franchise, regardless of the relationship’s conclusion.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-23-at-3.41.33-PM.png

What’s Left for the Chiefs’ Future?

While the Kansas City/Peters relationship was a positive one looking backward, whether the Chiefs are a better team now than they were before agreeing to ship him to Los Angeles is another story. Armed with additional draft capital, as well as the roughly $3 million in cap space that moving Peters provides, substantial questions arise over whether the Chiefs can adequately replace his presence at left cornerback moving forward.

They addressed a big need in their secondary with the Alex Smith trade last month, acquiring Kendall Fuller from Washington, but there are legitimate concerns over whether Fuller can play as well on the outside as he played inside (where he allowed a 55.0 passer rating into his coverage in 2017). Fewer than 12 percent of his 1,196 career snaps have come as an outside corner, meaning trusting him on the outside as a No. 1 cornerback will be something of an act of faith, should they go that route.

Third-year pro Steven Nelson was good in 2016 (only a 78.8 passer rating allowed from the slot) but struggled in 2017 with injuries that held him to just 578 total snaps. Mitchell, who played 705 snaps and allowed the sixth-most passing yards into his coverage among cornerbacks during the regular season, is a free agent and might be a long shot to return to a key role in 2018.

David Amerson was acquired recently by Kansas City in an intriguing move. No stranger to being a reclamation projection, Amerson has shown flashes of brilliance, earning PFF’s Comeback Player of the Year award in 2015, only to end up released on February 5 of this year following a season where he earned just a 39.7 overall grade in 287 snaps and a foot injury.

With Amerson et al. a coin flip at best on the outside, the onus is on the Chiefs to use their resources to acquire at least one outside cornerback in free agency or the draft. Legit No. 1 options like Kyle Fuller (84.3), Trumaine Johnson (74.2) and Brent Grimes (82.0) might be out of their reach financially (they are near the bottom of the league in cap space), but less expensive options like Tramon Williams (88.8), Rashaan Melvin (85.7), E.J. Gaines (86.6) and Prince Amukamara (81.2) are available in a large crop of free agents at the position.

If a first-round pick is not attained from the Rams, day two options like Carlton Davis (Auburn), Donte Jackson (LSU), Mike Hughes (UCF), Jaire Alexander (Louisville), J.C. Jackson (Maryland), Nick Nelson (Wisconsin), Isaiah Oliver (Colorado) and Anthony Averett (Alabama) are draft options for a Chiefs team without a first-round pick, having traded theirs away last year to acquire quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

Complicating matters for the Chiefs defensively (a unit we’ve rated as the league’s worst, using PFF grades and adjusting for schedule) is that they have long-held holes in their front seven to go along with their new one at left cornerback, with Derrick Johnson (77.3) and Bennie Logan (68.6) free agents and Dee Ford (48.7) coming off an injury-riddled and disappointing fourth season.

While the draft pick compensation they end up getting might change this answer, from the perspective of looking forward, this appears to be a potential loser for Kansas City.

What about the Rams?

While the future value of this trade looks bleak for the Chiefs, it has the chance to elevate Los Angeles from a great story in 2017 to a Super Bowl contender in 2018. Trumaine Johnson was given two seasons to show he was a cornerstone player for the Rams and he responded with the inconsistency that has marred much of his career. While he was able to generate three interceptions and 15 pass breakups the last two years under the Rams’ franchise tag, Johnson was beaten for 759 yards during the 2017 regular season (fourth-most yards allowed among cornerbacks) and for another 79 in the playoffs.

Enter Peters, who is a rising star still on his rookie deal, and you have a defense with young stars in Aaron Donald (99.7), Michael Brockers (83.1), John Johnson (85.8) and Peters (85.7) to go with an offense possessing Todd Gurley (91.9), Jared Goff (81.3), Andrew Whitworth (79.8) and Robert Woods(83.2) and one of the league’s brightest offensive minds.

There are some concerns over the fact that they are missing a second-round pick, are giving up draft capital in the Peters trade, and have a list of upcoming free agentsthat includes key contributors in Lamarcus Joyner (90.3), Sammy Watkins(76.2), Nickell Robey-Coleman (84.9) and John Sullivan (74.6).

In Conclusion

In Marcus Peters, the Rams acquire one of the league’s premiere players at one of the most-valuable positions in football. What Los Angeles ends up giving up to get him, and his ability to play nice with his new coaching staff, are open questions, but one has to view this trade as a winner for the Rams.

That said, Peters provided more than his expected contribution in three seasons with the Chiefs, and if they view his orientation towards playing for Andy Reid and his staff an untenable one, the choice to cash out is an understandable decision from their perspective as well.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We don't care who the better pound-for-pound player is. We need the better player period. The Rams chose Ogletree when they gave him the huge extension. They also made him the defensive play-caller. Ogletree is the guy. We're going to need a stouter LB to pair with him. Barron is a good WLB. But he's not a great fit next to Ogletree in a 3-4. I hoped he could pull it off, but the 2017 season shows he could not.

Ogletree does miss tackles. It's frustrating. But Barron was the guy who had the big issue with missing assignments, especially in the running game. That's not surprising considering he was a safety for most of his life.

What jrry32 just said. Word for word.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wow, I think that sounds like a fair deal. I don't think we fleeced them. I don't think we got fleeced. I do think it's on par with the trade for Watkins last year but a slightly better deal in that we get the 5th year option. Maybe even shows that we overpaid for Watkins a bit.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Great news. I thought the Chiefs would have asked for more volume based on no first being involved. I still have a feeling the Rams will trade back from 23 to the early 2nd to try to make up some draft capital.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Les Snead you damned sexy bastard you do. I’d avoid KC until the robbery discussion blows over.