Logan Bruss, OG Pick #104 - 3rd Round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm thinking more of a consultant this year while he takes some family time, then becomes OL Assistant Line Coach officially in 2023, ... if his wife gives the go-ahead.
Same thing in my mind but yes I agree.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rams turned down trade offers before picking Logan Bruss, expect him to compete at RG immediately​

USATSI_18133905-e1651291841624.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

April 29, 2022 9:22 pm PT

When Les Snead and Sean McVay turn down the opportunity to trade back in the NFL draft, you know they like the player they selected. That’s exactly the case with Logan Bruss, who the Rams drafted at No. 104 overall on Friday night. After the third round concluded, Les Snead told reporters that the Rams “did get a couple calls” from teams looking to trade up, but they turned those offers down and stood pat to take Bruss.

“He was starred. He got the gold star, or one of the gold stars of, ‘Hey, we take this player at 104,’” Snead said.

So, why did the Rams turn down trade offers to move back? Because they see Bruss as someone who can compete right away for starting reps at right guard. He’ll have to battle with Bobby Evans, Coleman Shelton and Tremayne Anchrum, but the Rams are confident in his skills to potentially start immediately at right guard between Rob Havenstein and Brian Allen.

“I think it’s gonna be a really good thing for him to fit in and know there’s a lot of work ahead. We’ve got some other really good players that are candidates to continue to compete at that position, but he is a guy we identified as somebody that’s gonna immediately come in and compete to be a big factor in our offense,” McVay said.

McVay said Bruss is a “seamless guy that can transition inside” after playing right tackle in college, though he did start a handful of games at right guard, too. If Bruss does wind up starting from Day 1, he’ll wind up being a great value in Round 3.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Rams, with team owner Stan Kroenke in the “war room” on the upstairs level and former left tackle Andrew Whitworth in the building, held their collective breaths as the picks ahead of them were filed. they got “a couple of calls” from teams who hoped to trade back in to the third round; Snead indicated that if Bruss was still on the board, they weren’t budging.

As soon as they went on the clock, and knew Bruss would be available, loud cheers poured out of the upstairs rooms. Then, Snead let it slip to McVay what Hill had promised — and then McVay’s voice was loudest of all.

“He was a little hesitant so I tipped our head coach off,” Snead said. “At that point, Brian couldn’t say no.”

Down came the scouts and executives and assistant coaches, who all poured outside and pulled out their phones as Hill, grinning, pulled off his shoes. In the deep end he went.

“I’m glad I could make that happen,” said Bruss via video call a few minutes later from his home in Kimberly, Wis. “This was kinda the place I was dreaming of coming to play. For this to happen is a dream come true.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's interesting to see the Rams prioritize OG. Really wasn't sure if OG was a concern until McVay let that comment slip. Seems like it was a major concern, maybe their biggest, which doesn't bode well for the depth OG options.

Now it feels like we really need to take a corner. I'd also like to see us add Ferguson if he's still on the board, though like OL the TE position is a bit of an unknown with not all that many snaps.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He is very similar physically to Corbett.. but comes from an Oline factory.. Will basically have two big brothers on the team to guide him … and a clearly defined role he is physically perfect for.

On the surface… it’s pretty perfect.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You never know but yeah this pick feels a lot better.

MachS

Hall of Fame
It's interesting to see the Rams prioritize OG. Really wasn't sure if OG was a concern until McVay let that comment slip. Seems like it was a major concern, maybe their biggest, which doesn't bode well for the depth OG options.
Yea I think this says a lot about what we think about our backups. Shelton is an emergency type backup guard who lacks ideal size, hes better built for center. Anchrum is best suited for tackle and I'm sure him or Jackson is our swing next year. Really this is a huge indictment on Bobby Evans who put out horrible tape playing on the inside. We all knew that already, but who knows maybe we grab another late round T/G and Evans' roster spot is in jeopardy. But I'm stoked for Bruss and glad we added depth on the interior. Him and Noteboom as starters next year should be a nice boost in the run game.

MachS

Hall of Fame
So this is better than the tutu pick already? Haha
I don't think many hated that pick more than me and I do talk a lot of shit on it, but I have some optimism this year for Tutu. It's really hard for me to believe McVay whiffs that bad on an offensive skill player. After going back and watching his preseason last year, he runs good routes, gets separation, and has nice hands. He really does. The size is terrible yes, but he has elite speed, nice hands, and runs good routes. Tough to believe McVay can't make something of that.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching SJ39 announce the pick was cool. He always seems like such a nice guy.
Imagine a prime SJ on this team now...*drool*

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Great pick. Although I'm still disappointed OL Cole Strange didn't fall to 104. :D

jap

Legend
Is Bruss ~= Roger "Beetlejuice" Saffold 2.0? Roger began with us as a LT who earned the starting role his rookie season.If I recall correctly, he earned the highest OL grading as a rookie LT. Later on in his career, he transitioned to guard and became an even better OL guy, better run blocker than pass blocker.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This guy checks a lot of boxes.

When I read hand techniques as a weakness… he landed in the right spot… the Rams, AD in particular, have mastered handwork. That weakness is coachable.

What I REALLY like about this pick is the pool jump. If they liked the guy THAT much, he has gem potential.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Snead said if they really liked who was on the board at 104 they would not trade back.

That’s good enough for me.

Otherwise, if they liked a pool of players left then they likely trade back. I saw a lot of players we liked and projected to go to the Rams that went much earlier. I can’t imagine much of a pool was left. The Rams were lucky Bruss was available.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Bruss is not a ‘sexy’ pick, but boy, does he ever seem SOLID.

Rams are focused on fundamentals, namely protecting Stafford and also prepping for possible future OL player departures. Might improve our running game just a bit, too.

As an aside, Edwards is not exactly a lock to start this year. Gonna be some fierce competition at interior OL positions this camp. I mean FIERCE.

I love to see Rams always planning ahead. Can’t wait to see how Day 3 unfolds, plus anticipated post-draft FA signings.

But I will say that Rams seem off to a great start.

Rams have draftEd very well since 2017. That Atwell pick looks like a lone aberration at this point. I can live with one such iffy pick every 6 years. How about you?