Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
None of my concern if we overpaid or not. I will let that be Demoff's and Snead's problem. These past four seasons have worked out pretty well with them.

Damn happy Floyd is back!
Well I mean in reality nothing the rams or their players do is our concern even if you go to the games they aren't worried about your individual opinion....we are just analyzing if we thinking it was the right move or not as fans do.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Bud dupree just signed for 16.5 mil Ayear. A bit above floyd. A similar player to floyd that was considered a bust until his 5th year. And a guy coming off an ACL

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Well I mean in reality nothing the rams or their players do is our concern even if you go to the games they aren't worried about your individual opinion....we are just analyzing if we thinking it was the right move or not as fans do.

I wish they would stop calling me then.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seems like an appropriate signing and we'll see what else we do. I know we're allegedly in cap hell but I can't begin to say I know those nuances.

We have a new DC and a new QB. Ile wait.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bud dupree just signed for 16.5 mil Ayear. A bit above floyd. A similar player to floyd that was considered a bust until his 5th year. And a guy coming off an ACL
And he was mostly benefiting off his system in a potential DPOY. Just like Floyd lol

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Without knowing the guarantees and per-year breakout, Floyd’s deal (4 years / $64M) slots between Shaq Barrett (4 / $72) and Matthew Judon (4 / $56).

Barrett - $18M per
Floyd - $16M per
Judon - $14M per

I did that without a calculator.
Bud DuPree -$16.5M
Carl Lawson - $15M per

These are big-ass numbers but Floyd’s per-year-amount seems to fit.

Again, the guarantees are relevant.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Question, and sorry if it was mentioned in this thread already, will us signing Floyd count against us in the comp pick formula? I thought that resigning your own players might not count, but, not sure. If not, we are in line to not get a comp pick next year. He far exceeds JJ's contract.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Floyd makes it easier to play with the lighter box (basically one of the foundational principles of our entire defense last year)... this is as much about him giving us scheme versatility as it is about his pure pass rush.

Of course, you can still not like the cost.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As strong as he is in coverage and as a solid if not spectacular pass rusher, he can also drop back and with his wing span create a LOT of disruption in zone coverage when he drops out (which admittedly isn't often).

Also, he's the only guy on the front faster in pursuit than AD

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question, and sorry if it was mentioned in this thread already, will us signing Floyd count against us in the comp pick formula? I thought that resigning your own players might not count, but, not sure. If not, we are in line to not get a comp pick next year. He far exceeds JJ's contract.
No our own guys signing doesn't hurt us, well it removes a possible pick if he'd signed elsewhere but it won't hurt us it just doesn't help us.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$16 million for a guy who can't get pressure without AD is not what I would have done. But, it's done.

Brockers/A'Shawn (if we lose one)
SJD
AD
Hollins/Lewis/Obo
Floyd
Kiser/Howard/Reeder/Young
Ramsey
Williams
Long/Deayon/Burgess
Fuller
Rapp/Burgess

Depth:
Gaines
Practice squad DL
ILB competition losers
EDGE competition losers
Practice squad DBs and Scott

I think McVay is preparing to draft nothing but offense - guys like Hughes and Deayon have showed some potential and could step up as depth pieces.

I'm thinking were about to see a mass infusion of rookies on offense

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think McVay is preparing to draft nothing but offense - guys like Hughes and Deayon have showed some potential and could step up as depth pieces.

Rams will likely draft a DE if Fox walks ..., and a CB to compete for a secondary role.

Last edited:

Shuie3225

Starter
Matt Judon - 14M per yr (28yrs old)
Yannik Ngakoue - 13M per yr (25 yrs old)
Romeo Okwara - 13M per yr (25yrs old)
Shaq Barrett - 18M per yr (28yrs old)

With still available FA edge rushers like Ingram, Dunlap, Reddick, Aldon Smith...all who could be had for cheaper, I just don't get the overpay for Floyd tbh. Throw in the loss of a 3rd rounder next year too and it just makes it worse.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
$16 million for a guy who can't get pressure without AD is not what I would have done. But, it's done.

Brockers/A'Shawn (if we lose one)
SJD
AD
Hollins/Lewis/Obo
Floyd
Kiser/Howard/Reeder/Young
Ramsey
Williams
Long/Deayon/Burgess
Fuller
Rapp/Burgess

Depth:
Gaines
Practice squad DL
ILB competition losers
EDGE competition losers
Practice squad DBs and Scott

CB is likely now high on the list as d. Williams could be unaffordable next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No our own guys signing doesn't hurt us, well it removes a possible pick if he'd signed elsewhere but it won't hurt us it just doesn't help us.
It helps us to have a good strong side edge. Guy's not perfect nor is he a great pass rusher but he snuffed most shit that went his side.

IMO they kind of effed themselves here. They were positioned where losing him left them with a merry band of longshots and injury risks. And they need to get more physical even after they keep him. So he's one of those guys who it would have really sucked to lose.

Not denying we overpaid. But let's not forget we got an excellent player.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It helps us to have a good strong side edge. Guy's not perfect nor is he a great pass rusher but he snuffed most shit that went his side.

IMO they kind of effed themselves here. They were positioned where losing him left them with a merry band of longshots and injury risks. And they need to get more physical even after they keep him. So he's one of those guys who it would have really sucked to lose.

Not denying we overpaid. But let's not forget we got an excellent player.
We got an above average player over his career who had a career year playing behind the 3 time DPoY. As I and others have said countless times in here we don't know the details of the deal but at face value it appears to a lot of us as a big overpay. But as with all contracts the details will give us the bigger picture. Who it costs us when we see the final details will be what decides the opinion on the contract for a lot of us.