Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shuie3225

Starter
Idk people are acting like he dominated in Chicago for 4 years before coming to LA. People remember he was considered a bust right? Until coming to LA, playing for Staley and lining up next to maybe the best defensive player ever. A guy who commands double and triple teams on every play. And Floyd still only had 10.5 sacks. Sorry but $16M for this guy means the Rams have not learned their lesson with bad contracts given out. Put him on any other team without AD and watch his performance fall off a cliff. There were games he was completely invisible while getting non stop 1-on-1s.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I am not surprised. If you look how the D is set up, both in base and nickel, there are few players more important than Floyd. If you think otherwise than you were not paying attention. I expect one or two players agreed to take a pay cut to make this happen. If so, then it speaks volumes of what the team think

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Without knowing the guarantees and per-year breakout, Floyd’s deal (4 years / $64M) slots between Shaq Barrett (4 / $72) and Matthew Judon (4 / $56).

Barrett - $18M per
Floyd - $16M per
Judon - $14M per

I did that without a calculator.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
For those of you complaining about the contract. Wasn't Floyd rated one the best at his position last year vs run and pass? Lol

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
To lock up Darius Williams...
There's still time for that. Many here believe the Rams are too quick to give out the big money too soon. They may be right. The Rams' cap and flexibility will look better a year from now. Also, Floyd has earned his big payday IMO.

I'd be surprised if a year from now we're talking about letting DWill walk after another good season.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking of Nostradamus... he must have been a great football guru. Maybe he can get us Desean Jackson and a real center next?
Desean Jackson???

"I got yall" - Donnie Avery

1615850386974.png

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Wow.

Contract does look a little steep ... hope he can up his game to match. But I won't lie, I'm glad he's going to be there next year. He was a more complete edge than anyone we've had in the McVay era, good against the run and pass. If he can repeat last year's performance ... well, it will be worth most of this average yearly haul. He's certainly better than anyone else we have on our roster in that position, and in fact, is higher than the ceiling of any of them.

Caveat: I hope this didn't cost us a chance to get a center.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had 7 of his 10.5 sacks in 3 games which means he didn't record a sack in nine games. Floyd was nice but @GB when AD wasn't himself Floyd was invisible. I'm glad we got him back but at face value this is a lot of money.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He had 7 of his 10.5 sacks in 3 games which means he didn't record a sack in nine games. Floyd was nice but @GB when AD wasn't himself Floyd was invisible. I'm glad we got him back but at face value this is a lot of money.
Understood, but he also definitely improved the run defense dramatically. And I would guess most 10 sack type guys end up getting half their sacks in a few games where they had mismatch.

Curious how he compares when it comes to pressures with top OLBs

Shuie3225

Starter
Floyd was nice but @GB when AD wasn't himself Floyd was invisible.

Bingo. Lets not forget he played next to Kahlil Mack in Chicago too and still didn't perform. Massive overpay given the other FA options out there IMO.

The defense is better with him yes. But is our team better with him vs say a $10-12M edge option, a 3rd round comp pick next year, and spending that leftover $ elsewhere like OL?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This also buys us time with Lewis. Next yr, worse case, they can get by with Hollins and Obo holding down the other side, but hopefully Lewis takes it over.

Also doesn't force edge with the 2nd round pick.... so provides us draft flexibility.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After this signing I am thinking maybe corner as our first pick in the draft. We wont be able to afford d. Williams a year from now if he plays like last year.

Shuie3225

Starter
but he is playing with AD. and will for the foreseeable future.

And what if AD gets hurt? What did Floyd do vs GB? Completely invisible.

Players talent and value should be evaluated in a vacuum. If AD goes down you think we can rely on Floyd to carry our pass rush? Absolutely not.